Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Lester Leaving
Da.Owl Offline
Rs.for.Cars@gmail.com

I Root For: The Rice Owls

Folding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
MyBB Lester Leaving
Miles has requested permission to transfer.
03-20-2018 08:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Da.Owl Offline
Rs.for.Cars@gmail.com

RE: Lester Leaving
Rice G Miles Lester (FR) has received permission to contact other schools. https://t.co/AyNJtYwsnl

Check out @mileslester23’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/mileslester23/status...twterm%5E3
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2018 08:46 AM by Da.Owl.)
03-20-2018 08:40 AM
mrbig Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
I have to say, regardless of whether Lester would have had a great and storied career at Rice or been buried on the bench, I am so tired of seeing guys transfer away.
03-20-2018 08:58 AM
Da.Owl Offline
Rs.for.Cars@gmail.com

Scholarships are only one year now-a-days. Not surprising to see the turnover. Perhaps NCAA should adopt baseball model across all sports ?
03-20-2018 09:14 AM
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

(03-20-2018 09:14 AM)Da.Owl Wrote:  Scholarships are only one year now-a-days. Not surprising to see the turnover. Perhaps NCAA should adopt baseball model across all sports ?

And people think we suffer in baseball because we can’t offer full scholarships???

Willing to bet the average D1 baseball player comes from a wealthier family than the average D1 basketball player.
03-20-2018 09:21 AM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
Class act. He posted on twitter a very gracious and complimentary note-- specifically calling out (positively) his fellow Freshmen and Coach Pera, but gave no reason for his decision.
03-20-2018 10:18 AM
Advertisement

cr11owl Offline
All American

(03-20-2018 10:18 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  Class act. He posted on twitter a very gracious and complimentary note-- specifically calling out (positively) his fellow Freshmen and Coach Pera, but gave no reason for his decision.

What did you expect him to say? It’s a copy of literally every tweet when a player requests a release... let’s wait a month and make sure things are stable.
03-20-2018 10:23 AM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
(03-20-2018 10:23 AM)cr11owl Wrote:  
(03-20-2018 10:18 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  Class act. He posted on twitter a very gracious and complimentary note-- specifically calling out (positively) his fellow Freshmen and Coach Pera, but gave no reason for his decision.

What did you expect him to say? It’s a copy of literally every tweet when a player requests a release... let’s wait a month and make sure things are stable.

No, it was anything but. His note attached to the tweet was very personal in nature include a heart-felt comment to Malik and Nanja.
03-20-2018 10:25 AM
cr11owl Offline
All American

(03-20-2018 10:25 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(03-20-2018 10:23 AM)cr11owl Wrote:  

No, it was anything but. His note attached to the tweet was very personal in nature include a heart-felt comment to Malik and Nanja.

Ok.... go back and read the tweets from the 4 guys who left last year who didn’t graduate.
03-20-2018 10:29 AM
Kayjay Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Owls
From my (probably faulty) memory, Lester was originally recruited as a walk on who received a scholarship after the large number of transfers exited South Main last year. If this is the case, there was probably no guarantee that he would continue to be a scholarship player after his first year and given the the current recruiting class (and perhaps some other recruiting opportunities), the possibility exists that he would not receive a 2nd year scholarship from Rice (all pure speculation on my part...no direct evidence to support this theory).

We do know that Miles Lester grew from a player that looked over-matched at the beginning of the season, to a competitor that was able to play 10+ competent minutes a game for the Owls. For Mr. Lester, I think this year proved to him that he can compete and contribute at a D-1 level and could be looking for the type of opportunity in the future that perhaps Coach Pera and the Owls cannot guarantee, based on the incoming talent.
03-20-2018 10:34 AM
baker-'13 Offline
2nd String

(03-20-2018 09:21 AM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  
(03-20-2018 09:14 AM)Da.Owl Wrote:  Scholarships are only one year now-a-days. Not surprising to see the turnover. Perhaps NCAA should adopt baseball model across all sports ?

And people think we suffer in baseball because we can’t offer full scholarships???

Willing to bet the average D1 baseball player comes from a wealthier family than the average D1 basketball player.

Not likely, but possible he meant adopting the rules for draft eligibility? I.e. you can be drafted out of high school, but if you go to college, you're not draft eligible for a given period of time. Theory would then be that less spots open up at other schools because one-and-dones don't exist anymore, so if anyone's there, they're there for two or more years, which might make the transfer market more stable.

Not a bad thought, imo.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2018 01:16 PM by baker-'13.)
03-20-2018 01:15 PM
Advertisement

Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(03-20-2018 09:21 AM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  And people think we suffer in baseball because we can’t offer full scholarships???

In fairness, this misrepresents what is said

What is said is that we can't offer as much as some of our competitive peers... and the fact that they come from wealthier families actually works against us.

Back to the topic

I hate this one and done in basketball, but it's been this way for some time and has worked against us. We used to seek guys who would play for 4 years while other schools sought guys who were likely to be one and done... by definition they were more 'ready', hence all of the academies and prep schools, etc.

Maybe what we should do is go the other direction and seek to be a destination for players who start off at a lesser school, athletically and/or academically who prove themselves or mature later... get their degree from Rice as opposed to (just picking a school) UTSA. Let other schools fill their rosters with projects and we take 'graduates' rather than the other way around?

I don't know how that sells and it could obviously be abused, but its a thought
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2018 01:27 PM by Hambone10.)
03-20-2018 01:26 PM
cr11owl Offline
All American

(03-20-2018 08:58 AM)mrbig Wrote:  I have to say, regardless of whether Lester would have had a great and storied career at Rice or been buried on the bench, I am so tired of seeing guys transfer away.

Guys that would’ve been seniors or younger this year in our program:

Egor (graduated)
Marcus Jackson (graduated)
Drew bender
Oliver Xu
Nizar Kapic
Maurice Rivers
Denzel Davis (injured)
Nate Pollard
Sean obi
Keith Washington
Marcus Evans
Jordan Reed
Harrison Brown
MLE
Amir Smith
Jeremy Jones
Chad Lott
Corey Douglas
Miles Lester

NCAA basketball is a complete joke. They need to get rid of the one and done rule and they need to take a year of eligibility from kids unless the school unconditionally releases them or something. This wasn’t a problem 10 years ago.
03-20-2018 02:32 PM
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

Nizar, Denzel, Obi, and a few others wouldn’t have been eligible this year.

Rhoades essentially forced a couple of those guys off the team (as they stayed at Rice to finish their degree).
03-20-2018 02:36 PM
cr11owl Offline
All American

(03-20-2018 02:36 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  Nizar, Denzel, Obi, and a few others wouldn’t have been eligible this year.

Rhoades essentially forced a couple of those guys off the team (as they stayed at Rice to finish their degree).

I know, but they’re listed on our 4 year chart for verbal commits. I still think NCAA basketball is completely broken at this point and I don’t think it’s getting better anytime soon.
03-20-2018 02:47 PM
TJS_NYC Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Shiner Bock
(03-20-2018 02:32 PM)cr11owl Wrote:  
(03-20-2018 08:58 AM)mrbig Wrote:  I have to say, regardless of whether Lester would have had a great and storied career at Rice or been buried on the bench, I am so tired of seeing guys transfer away.

Guys that would’ve been seniors or younger this year in our program:

Egor (graduated)
Marcus Jackson (graduated)
Drew bender
Oliver Xu
Nizar Kapic
Maurice Rivers
Denzel Davis (injured)
Nate Pollard
Sean obi
Keith Washington
Marcus Evans
Jordan Reed
Harrison Brown
MLE
Amir Smith
Jeremy Jones
Chad Lott
Corey Douglas
Miles Lester

NCAA basketball is a complete joke. They need to get rid of the one and done rule and they need to take a year of eligibility from kids unless the school unconditionally releases them or something. This wasn’t a problem 10 years ago.

I think the biggest problem of all, and its facilitated by the NCAA, is that a large number of these kids are really just looking for a place to just keep playing, and (a) could care less about the school, (b) don't want study time interfering with their court time, and © are indifferent as to whether they actually get a degree or not. And that's all very sad to me. Once upon a time, kids viewed an athletic scholarship as an opportunity to get a degree and oftentimes from a school that they might otherwise not be able to get into. The school and degree mattered. If someone plays at 3-4 different schools over the course of his/her "college" career, then IMO the educational aspect of the experience has very little value to them.
03-20-2018 03:25 PM
Advertisement

Ourland Offline
Heisman

True. These players need to lose a year if they transfer.
03-20-2018 04:26 PM
InterestedX Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Oxford
(03-20-2018 04:26 PM)Ourland Wrote:  True. These players need to lose a year if they transfer.

No. Not until coaches are made to sit out a year before taking another job.
03-20-2018 04:45 PM
cr11owl Offline
All American

(03-20-2018 04:45 PM)InterestedX Wrote:  
(03-20-2018 04:26 PM)Ourland Wrote:  True. These players need to lose a year if they transfer.

No. Not until coaches are made to sit out a year before taking another job.

Most transfers don’t occur when a coaching change occurs. A coaching change also requires a buyout (for breaking the contract) and the university can use that to go hire another coach of their choosing. Any player who wants out then gets released. When a player decides he wants to leave for greener pastures on a whim it leaves Rice out in the cold for another 7 win year. We’re a farm team for the majors.

This is only an issue because all of these players think they’re going to play in the NBA or go make a bunch of money overseas. And I’m not exaggerating... all of them. Maybe they should make all conference in CUSA first. It’s like guys last year wanting to play “better competition” but can’t even win their own conference.
03-20-2018 04:54 PM
westsidewolf1989 Offline
Heisman

(03-20-2018 04:54 PM)cr11owl Wrote:  This is only an issue because all of these players think they’re going to play in the NBA or go make a bunch of money overseas.

[Image: 26sq1i.jpg]
03-20-2018 05:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.