Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CUSA Announced New TV deal
Bookmark and Share
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
http://www.conferenceusa.com/news/2018/3..._2018.aspx

The boys across the street are not happy and for good reason.
03-14-2018 03:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
RE: CUSA Announced New TV deal
Wow. I expected CUSA's TV deal to at least be somewhat similar to ours.

This isn't even close. This is bad news for them...
03-14-2018 03:33 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

(03-14-2018 03:33 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  Wow. I expected CUSA's TV deal to at least be somewhat similar to ours.

This isn't even close. This is bad news for them...

It doesn't say anything about money, but I doubt they are getting much if CBSSports is only broadcasting 9 football games and 8 basketball games a season.
03-14-2018 03:39 PM
OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
Lol...Good job coooosa.
03-14-2018 03:48 PM
sdcritter Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
Ouch. For most of them, my condolences. For the ones who were over here poo-pooing all over the deal we made, I laugh at you.
03-14-2018 03:54 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Why are they so angry at Judy MacLeod?

It's not her fault the CUSA presidents were dumb enough to think they'd get a good TV deal expanding based on "marketz".
03-14-2018 04:03 PM
Advertisement

ButlerGSU Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GA Southern
Yikes, that is bad.
03-14-2018 04:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Florida RedWolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: arkansas state
(03-14-2018 04:07 PM)ButlerGSU Wrote:  Yikes, that is bad.

I am very green at this sort of thing but I do know most sports fans identify with ESPN and few with Stadium and Facebook. Accordingly I have to think we are in a much better position than CUSA. Wish the money could be determined for both of us in these packages but would think the SBC would be much nicer.
03-14-2018 04:18 PM

(03-14-2018 04:03 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Why are they so angry at Judy MacLeod?

It's not her fault the CUSA presidents were dumb enough to think they'd get a good TV deal expanding based on "marketz".

Because she's taking the brunt of the decisions that Banowsky made when he brought in those large-market programs that aren't worth watching, versus taking Sun Belt teams in smaller markets that are more of a well-known commodity.

(03-14-2018 04:18 PM)Florida RedWolf Wrote:  I am very green at this sort of thing but I do know most sports fans identify with ESPN and few with Stadium and Facebook. Accordingly I have to think we are in a much better position than CUSA. Wish the money could be determined for both of us in these packages but would think the SBC would be much nicer.

Sun Belt is light years ahead of this deal.
03-14-2018 04:30 PM
ButlerGSU Offline
Special Teams

(03-14-2018 04:18 PM)Florida RedWolf Wrote:  
(03-14-2018 04:07 PM)ButlerGSU Wrote:  Yikes, that is bad.

I am very green at this sort of thing but I do know most sports fans identify with ESPN and few with Stadium and Facebook. Accordingly I have to think we are in a much better position than CUSA. Wish the money could be determined for both of us in these packages but would think the SBC would be much nicer.

Agreed it is a perception issue. Financially, it might be better to stream on Facebook and Stadium because I know schools are currently shouldering the production costs for ESPN3.

Personally, I have to think there is some value to being on a broadcast channel even if it's ESPN2 or ESPNU...can't tell you the number of times I've seen a Sun Belt game on in a sports bar on a Wednesday or Thursday night while I'm eating dinner.
03-14-2018 04:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

(03-14-2018 04:34 PM)ButlerGSU Wrote:  Personally, I have to think there is some value to being on a broadcast channel even if it's ESPN2 or ESPNU...can't tell you the number of times I've seen a Sun Belt game on in a sports bar on a Wednesday or Thursday night while I'm eating dinner.

That's going to be one of the big issues. No sports bars/public sports are going to show Stadium or Facebook games. There might be some that show a CBS Sports Network game, but that will be rare since CBS/ABC/ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU are more well-known to have on in that type of setting.
03-14-2018 04:38 PM
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
I'm going to gladly pay $4.99 a month and watch whatever Sun Belt games I want to watch at one place. Broadcast with at least ESPN3 standards.

The grass is not always greener. The new patch on the uniform isn't magic. Just because you move into a movie star's abandoned mansion doesn't make you a movie star. Wherever you go...there you are!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
03-14-2018 04:46 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

(03-14-2018 04:46 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  I'm going to gladly pay $4.99 a month and watch whatever Sun Belt games I want to watch at one place. Broadcast with at least ESPN3 standards.

The grass is not always greener. The new patch on the uniform isn't magic. Just because you move into a movie star's abandoned mansion doesn't make you a movie star. Wherever you go...there you are!

Great analogy. I will also be happily paying my $4.99 subscription for unlimited access to all things SBC.
03-14-2018 04:56 PM
troutbummike Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian State
I'll say this much about Facebook--- I will NEVER use it the rest of my life. I'll just make the game or check the score.
03-14-2018 05:26 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
I actually think this is a better deal than is being made. Sounds like CBS upped the $$ to get the best games from CUSA and along with Stadium, will actually have more exposure for their fans. It'll be interesting to find the number for the SB and CUSA.

While CBS SN is harder to come by on cable and satellite, they are more accessible on the internet TV packages and at a more affordable price. I also think CBSSN is going to be having their own ESPN+ type platform in a year or two.
Once good thing at least is you know where the games are going to be seen for the next 5 years. While having multiple partners can be good, it is in a lot of ways kind bad because it confuses the fan base wondering which platform the game is on next week.
03-14-2018 05:54 PM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

(03-14-2018 05:54 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  I actually think this is a better deal than is being made. Sounds like CBS upped the $$ to get the best games from CUSA and along with Stadium, will actually have more exposure for their fans. It'll be interesting to find the number for the SB and CUSA.

While CBS SN is harder to come by on cable and satellite, they are more accessible on the internet TV packages and at a more affordable price. I also think CBSSN is going to be having their own ESPN+ type platform in a year or two.
Once good thing at least is you know where the games are going to be seen for the next 5 years. While having multiple partners can be good, it is in a lot of ways kind bad because it confuses the fan base wondering which platform the game is on next week.
Tex I don't see how this will be good for CUSA exposure at all. 9 regular season games on CBSSN, 3 on Facebook produced by CBSSN plus 15 on Stadium (some of those also on Facebook). That's only 27 games on a somewhat findable platform. Quick somebody do the math how many home games will 14 CUSA teams play each season if they average 6 at home? Hello it's a lot more than 27!

Sent from my B3-A20 using CSNbbs mobile app
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2018 06:15 PM by Georgia_Power_Company.)
03-14-2018 06:14 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Online
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(03-14-2018 06:14 PM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  
(03-14-2018 05:54 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  I actually think this is a better deal than is being made. Sounds like CBS upped the $$ to get the best games from CUSA and along with Stadium, will actually have more exposure for their fans. It'll be interesting to find the number for the SB and CUSA.

Tex I don't see how this will be good for CUSA exposure at all. 9 regular season games on CBSSN, 3 on Facebook produced by CBSSN plus 15 on Stadium (some of those also on Facebook). That's only 27 games on a somewhat findable platform. Quick somebody do the math how many home games will 14 CUSA teams play each season if they average 6 at home? Hello it's a lot more than 27!

He knows its not a very good deal, he just doesn't like ESPN. Stadium is in a few markets, no different than what Sinclair was, and having watched a couple of the Facebook broadcasts, they have zero viewer base.

If we play off the assumption that 80 home football games are under the CUSA TV contract. Assume that Bein will pick up 10 or so when they eventually sign on, we're probably saying about half of their home football games will end up on CUSA's own online subscription service.

Conference makes some money off the deal. They won't have to pay to upgrade their facilities and produce the broadcasts like we do, but ultimately, they screw their own fans in terms of access.

9 games on television...that's less than what we got, and all of the 9 will be on CBSSN, which is far less mainstream when it comes to availability.
03-14-2018 06:23 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
(03-14-2018 06:23 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  He knows its not a very good deal, he just doesn't like ESPN. Stadium is in a few markets, no different than what Sinclair was, and having watched a couple of the Facebook broadcasts, they have zero viewer base.

If we play off the assumption that 80 home football games are under the CUSA TV contract. Assume that Bein will pick up 10 or so when they eventually sign on, we're probably saying about half of their home football games will end up on CUSA's own online subscription service.

Conference makes some money off the deal. They won't have to pay to upgrade their facilities and produce the broadcasts like we do, but ultimately, they screw their own fans in terms of access.

9 games on television...that's less than what we got, and all of the 9 will be on CBSSN, which is far less mainstream when it comes to availability.

How many schools in this conference have not already done this? I would think most already have the infrastructure to do it.
03-14-2018 06:32 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
The rumor is CUSA is getting 500k from CBS.

I bet they used the SBC deal as a metric and leverage. That might mean the ESPN deal with SBC is right around 500k per.

Sent from my SM-G950U using CSNbbs mobile app
03-14-2018 06:36 PM
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
(03-14-2018 06:23 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(03-14-2018 06:14 PM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  

He knows its not a very good deal, he just doesn't like ESPN. Stadium is in a few markets, no different than what Sinclair was, and having watched a couple of the Facebook broadcasts, they have zero viewer base.

9 games on CBSSN for 14 C-USA schools vs. 10 games on ESPN/2/U for 10 SBC football schools. Win for SBC.
03-14-2018 06:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.