Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Golden Globes.
Bookmark and Share
GullLake Offline
1st String

I Root For: G5 programs
The Golden Globes.
Hollywood has become irrelevant and it does not even realize it.
01-08-2018 10:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

ChipfanII Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: CMU
RE: The Golden Globes.
(01-08-2018 10:00 AM)GullLake Wrote:  Hollywood has become irrelevant and it does not even realize it.

I didn't watch it, but for comparison, NFL's best TV rating of all the Wild Card games (Atlanta - LA Rams) got 19.5 Million viewers, and the Globes had 20 Million. Maybe both are becoming irrelevant? Or the amount of people live streaming has increased.
01-08-2018 10:41 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
I agree with the sentiment in that women shouldn't be subjugated to to men's harassment, grabbing them, whipping their junk out, etc.

But I can't watch 3 hours of Hollywood celebrities lecturing from their pedestals. And this is from an industry that enabled this for decades.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2018 01:26 PM by Motown Bronco.)
01-08-2018 01:08 PM
BuickBronco Offline
2nd String

Their bubble popped and they are trying to patch it up. They don't call it La La land for nothing
01-08-2018 02:39 PM

wojo-kowski Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Western
(01-08-2018 02:39 PM)BuickBronco Wrote:  Their bubble popped and they are trying to patch it up. They don't call it La La land for nothing

Correct, they have these "award shows" a couple of times a year, and present silly little trophies that they have bought for them selves.

They all think they are important, or that we care.

Not a good movie out right now, so that show last night was just a go to the "movie promotion".
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2018 03:57 PM by wojo-kowski.)
01-08-2018 03:56 PM
BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(01-08-2018 10:00 AM)GullLake Wrote:  Hollywood has become irrelevant and it does not even realize it.

Exactly so. They have no right to even pretend to be interested in ethics and morality, everyone knows what Hollywood is all about.

As for siding with the Political Left, they've managed to piss-off half their potential audience. I haven't been to a theater to see a Hollywood movie in well over a decade. I don't purchase them online. When I do watch newer movies these days it's entirely from the Independent producers, who still have ideas that are compelling.

The last 'Star Wars' movie I saw was 'Return of the Jedi' in 1983, the last one in the original trilogy. I don't need to see the 15th remake of the original recipe. I'll give George Lucas and Stephen Spielburg kudos for taking special effects to a new level, but at the end of the day the story commands the audience. And their films are THIN on story line.

Another Awards banquet? Hollywood annointing Hollywood, I could care less. 03-puke
01-08-2018 11:54 PM
BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(01-08-2018 11:54 PM)BroncoPhilly Wrote:  

Exactly so. They have no right to even pretend to be interested in ethics and morality, everyone knows what Hollywood is all about.

Meryl Streep wearing a black gown so she can convince everyone she's really perturbed by sexual harassment. They had to rip her lips off Harvey Weinstein's ass so she could put her lipstick on. How stupid do they thank Americans are?

As for siding with the Political Left, they've managed to piss-off half their potential audience. I haven't been to a theater to see a Hollywood movie in well over a decade. I don't purchase them online. When I do watch newer movies these days it's entirely from the Independent producers, who still have ideas that are compelling. Hollywood's continual Leftist posturing had a good deal to do with my turning my back on them.

The last 'Star Wars' movie I saw was 'Return of the Jedi' in 1983, the last one in the original trilogy. I don't need to see the 15th remake of the original recipe. I'll give George Lucas and Stephen Spielburg kudos for taking special effects to a new level, but at the end of the day the story commands the audience. And their films are THIN on story line.

Another Awards banquet? Hollywood annointing Hollywood, I could care less. 03-puke
01-08-2018 11:59 PM

BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I turned off the NFL 2 years ago when they started disrespecting the anthem, flag and their audience. Haven't attended a game, watched a game on TV or bought any of their logo crap in years. I could care less.

I enjoy college sports, but if the big schools start doing the same sort of nonsense I can turn them off as well. It's amazing how much more time I have on Sundays now to spend with the Family, attend Church Services and basically enjoy life. The NFL screwed up badly, very badly. I think they're heading for real financial trouble, especially when the brain injury class action law suits from players start pouring in.

Hey, like I care. 03-lmfao
01-09-2018 12:05 AM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

(01-09-2018 12:05 AM)BroncoPhilly Wrote:  I turned off the NFL 2 years ago when they started disrespecting the anthem, flag and their audience.

It's called freedom of speech/expression snowflake.

Are you this obtuse with everything?
01-09-2018 07:54 AM
GullLake Offline
1st String

I Root For: G5 programs
(01-09-2018 07:54 AM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  
(01-09-2018 12:05 AM)BroncoPhilly Wrote:  I turned off the NFL 2 years ago when they started disrespecting the anthem, flag and their audience.

It's called freedom of speech/expression snowflake.

Are you this obtuse with everything?

There is no "freedom of speech/expression" when you are in a private workplace.

Should a waiter at a steak house be allowed to express his views against the meat industry to customers? How about a pro-life advocate showing graphic pics of aborted fetus' before serving dinner?

Of course not! They would and should be fired. Nobody is in a steak house to hear political views, particularly if they are counter-productive to that business.

Likewise, nobody attends a football game to hear political views.

If the players want to express their opinions/views off the field on their own time & dime, more power to them regardless of the issue. However, the owners, and NFL, have every right to limit or prohibit that expression during working hours, just like our businesses/employers do.

Do you want your bank teller passing you Rand Paul or Bernie Sanders literature unsolicited? How 'bout your insurance agent providing an unsolicited lecture about the virtues of "Open Carry" when you are there for car insurance.

You'd probably find a different bank and insurance agent, regardless of whether or not you agree with them.

The NFL is no different.

The players have freedom of speech/expression, just like all of us do. However, we don't have it in our workplaces without consequences (including being fired and/or blackballed) and neither should they.
01-09-2018 09:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2018 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.