Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

People can't get in to CSNBBS today
Bookmark and Share
jmu-fan-1981 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU
People can't get in to CSNBBS today
I'm hearing some folks aren't able to access the site today. Not sure what is going on. Can someone help address that?
12-11-2017 11:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jmu98 Offline
All American

RE: People can't get in to CSNBBS today
(12-11-2017 11:09 AM)jmu-fan-1981 Wrote:  I'm hearing some folks aren't able to access the site today. Not sure what is going on. Can someone help address that?

I am having issues on certain devices and not others. Seems like it is a DNS issue or something.
12-11-2017 11:14 AM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
I’m seeing csnbbs.com as a “parked” domain on some networks.

My guess is the domain renewal lapsed, and those of us are only still able to get here due to domain name caching ... if so, the clock is ticking until it disappears for everyone here. A few days tops.

Someone please reach out to GT Swagger .. this is an emergency!

Hopefully he can register a new domain if he’s lost csnbbs, and quickly let everyone know what it is...
12-11-2017 12:14 PM
formerjmusprinter84 Offline
1st String

I had issues getting in last night and this morning with my tablet. Got in with my desktop today (haven't tried the tablet again)
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2017 01:44 PM by formerjmusprinter84.)
12-11-2017 01:43 PM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

I think odds are high the domain registration expired and someone else stole/snagged it. The registration data is hidden by a third party, but shows recent updates.

The way DNS works it can take a few days for all networks to update and recognize the change. I’m afraid what we are seeing is early signs that csnbbs.com is about to go offline entirely within a day or two.

I emailed GT Swagger, and hope he will be able to take corrective action before the boards die. It is possible he may have to register a new name / url.
12-11-2017 01:51 PM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
also had issues yesterday. no problems today.
12-11-2017 02:09 PM
Advertisement

mad_dog97 Offline
2nd String

(12-11-2017 01:51 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  I think odds are high the domain registration expired and someone else stole/snagged it. The registration data is hidden by a third party, but shows recent updates.

The way DNS works it can take a few days for all networks to update and recognize the change. I’m afraid what we are seeing is early signs that csnbbs.com is about to go offline entirely within a day or two.

I emailed GT Swagger, and hope he will be able to take corrective action before the boards die. It is possible he may have to register a new name / url.

By no means do I want to replace this board, but if there are issues with this site I have created a JMU fans subreddit that can act as a backup. This is not nearly as functional as CSNbbs, but could be a short term landing spot in case something happens.

Here's the link: https://www.reddit.com/r/JMUFans/new/
12-11-2017 02:35 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
It looks like some broken routing effecting in particular AT&T customers. When I got a traceroute from another admin he was getting all the way to pretty much across the street from the datacenter in Atlanta, GA and then for no reason got punted out to Dallas, TX and then San Jose, CA ... timing out ... and landing on a parked page.

The parked page bit shouldn't be happening at all. The domain auto-renewed last night (the 10th, I can even screenshot the receipt showing the transaction posted on the 10th if you want). The domain would have otherwise expired tonight (the 11th). I got nothin' on why anybody would be seeing a parked domain notification from that. Try temporarily bypassing the normal domain:

http://www.ncaabbs.com
http://69.61.16.74

I'd love to know if anybody with this issue is **NOT** using AT&T. Because so far everybody with a problem is using AT&T.
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2017 02:39 PM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
12-11-2017 02:38 PM

(12-11-2017 01:51 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  I think odds are high the domain registration expired and someone else stole/snagged it. The registration data is hidden by a third party, but shows recent updates.

Calm down. All is well. The update was my auto-renew going through.
12-11-2017 02:40 PM

Announcement posted.
12-11-2017 02:51 PM
godukes08 Offline
Water Engineer

(12-11-2017 02:38 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  It looks like some broken routing effecting in particular AT&T customers. When I got a traceroute from another admin he was getting all the way to pretty much across the street from the datacenter in Atlanta, GA and then for no reason got punted out to Dallas, TX and then San Jose, CA ... timing out ... and landing on a parked page.

The parked page bit shouldn't be happening at all. The domain auto-renewed last night (the 10th, I can even screenshot the receipt showing the transaction posted on the 10th if you want). The domain would have otherwise expired tonight (the 11th). I got nothin' on why anybody would be seeing a parked domain notification from that. Try temporarily bypassing the normal domain:

I'd love to know if anybody with this issue is **NOT** using AT&T. Because so far everybody with a problem is using AT&T.

I'm having the issue on Verizon.
12-11-2017 02:59 PM
Advertisement

(12-11-2017 02:59 PM)godukes08 Wrote:  
(12-11-2017 02:38 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  It looks like some broken routing effecting in particular AT&T customers. When I got a traceroute from another admin he was getting all the way to pretty much across the street from the datacenter in Atlanta, GA and then for no reason got punted out to Dallas, TX and then San Jose, CA ... timing out ... and landing on a parked page.

I'm having the issue on Verizon.

Edited the announcement. So, assuming AT&T and Verizon have 24 hour DNS caches and that the problem is they've cached an invalid DNS result ... that means the problem should go away no later than 10:30 PM ET tonight.
12-11-2017 03:02 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

Had the problem last night for several hours and my IP is Comcast-Xfinity.
12-11-2017 03:06 PM

(12-11-2017 03:06 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Had the problem last night for several hours and my IP is Comcast-Xfinity.

Sounds more and more like NameCheap expired the domain before it auto-renewed. Which is cute. It renewed at 10:30 PM ET last night. If Namecheap was using GMT (aka UTC) to calculate the expiration day, and was expiring the very first second of expiration day, that'd back it up expiring the domain at about 8 PM ET ... THE DAY BEFORE expiration is scheduled to occur. This would have left a 2.5 hour window of an invalid DNS result. No big deal if you're Comcast or Spectrum where they have decent DNS servers. AT&T and Verizon, however, cache the **** out of DNS, typically 24 hours. So lucky me the confluence of timezones and bad timing and worse DNS servers from Verizon/AT&T means a big chunk of people lose the site for about a day. Impressively awful. JFC timezones and computers.

If you're somewhat computer capable and would like to rectify this situation permanently by switching off AT&T and/or Verizon's craptastic DNS (which will actually legitimately speed up your internet browsing) I recommend going to OpenDNS.com ( https://www.opendns.com/setupguide/#familyshield ) and reading up on how to switch your home router/computer to use the OpenDNS system instead of your ISP's DNS servers. I use OpenDNS and/or Google DNS myself.
12-11-2017 03:13 PM
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
you can also browse in using a free web proxy

but then if someone does not know that they will never see this message to know that hahaha
12-11-2017 03:24 PM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
(12-11-2017 03:06 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Had the problem last night for several hours and my IP is Comcast-Xfinity.

Also comcast/xfinity with issues last night, but it has corrected today.
12-11-2017 03:32 PM
Advertisement

Dukie95 Offline
1st String

I Root For: all the Dukes
I had the problem last night with Comcast/Xfinity from home (and I use OpenDNS). Had no problems today.
12-11-2017 03:36 PM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-11-2017 03:13 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  

Sounds more and more like NameCheap expired the domain before it auto-renewed. Which is cute. It renewed at 10:30 PM ET last night. If Namecheap was using GMT (aka UTC) to calculate the expiration day, and was expiring the very first second of expiration day, that'd back it up expiring the domain at about 8 PM ET ... THE DAY BEFORE expiration is scheduled to occur. This would have left a 2.5 hour window of an invalid DNS result. No big deal if you're Comcast or Spectrum where they have decent DNS servers. AT&T and Verizon, however, cache the **** out of DNS, typically 24 hours. So lucky me the confluence of timezones and bad timing and worse DNS servers from Verizon/AT&T means a big chunk of people lose the site for about a day. Impressively awful. JFC timezones and computers.

If you're somewhat computer capable and would like to rectify this situation permanently by switching off AT&T and/or Verizon's craptastic DNS (which will actually legitimately speed up your internet browsing) I recommend going to OpenDNS.com ( https://www.opendns.com/setupguide/#familyshield ) and reading up on how to switch your home router/computer to use the OpenDNS system instead of your ISP's DNS servers. I use OpenDNS and/or Google DNS myself.

That sounds consistent with what I am seeing. It has the appearance of being a parked domain at NameCheap.

Currently it’s an issue on Verizon mobile. Unfortunately for folks with iPhones, there is no way to update DNS or workaround on a cell network that I know of, outside of using a Proxy/VPN. Hopefully it resolves for everyone soon when cache expires. Thanks GT.
12-11-2017 03:38 PM

I just renewed the domain for the maximum time possible: a DECADE.

Shove that up your timezone shenanigan arse registrar.
12-11-2017 03:47 PM
BTR Offline
The Royal Order of Rooster

I Root For: UAB!!!

Folding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardDonators
Working from Lima, Peru, my Miami VPN, and my DC VPN. :)
12-11-2017 03:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.