Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN lost over 13 million subscribers - will have 3rd round of layoffs by December
coogrfan Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
ESPN lost over 13 million subscribers - will have 3rd round of layoffs by December
"The cause" is that cable is a dying industry.
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2017 08:19 PM by coogrfan.)
10-27-2017 08:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UHRedcat96 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UH Cougars
RE: ESPN lost over 13 million subscribers - will have 3rd round of layoffs by December
a la crate viewing is going to start getting expensive to offset the cable cuts.
ESPN is going to have to renegotiate a bunch of contracts or sell off content and eat the shortage.
The days of big payouts is going to be over.
10-27-2017 08:24 PM
fanhood Offline
All American

I Root For: San Diego State
RE: ESPN lost over 13 million subscribers - will have 3rd round of layoffs by December
I enjoy this, as I despise ESPN.

However, those that are expecting some massive pay raise for the AAC should take notice to this. I find it highly, highly unlikely, that the AAC will get anywhere close to what many here desire. Expect ~$3 million or so.
10-27-2017 08:29 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
(10-27-2017 08:29 PM)fanhood Wrote:  I enjoy this, as I despise ESPN.

However, those that are expecting some massive pay raise for the AAC should take notice to this. I find it highly, highly unlikely, that the AAC will get anywhere close to what many here desire. Expect ~$3 million or so.

You're forgetting the money ESPN will save on the next MWC TV deal. Way overpaid for that s*** product.

EDIT: BYU too.
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2017 08:43 PM by HuskyU.)
10-27-2017 08:35 PM
baruna falls Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
(10-27-2017 08:29 PM)fanhood Wrote:  I enjoy this, as I despise ESPN.

You continue to be small and jealous.
10-27-2017 08:35 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I never bother watching anything other than games and that didn’t start now. All their shows are bs opinions anyways. College Gameday is unwatchable with the same recycled bs year in year out. Dull and boring
10-27-2017 08:42 PM
Advertisement

fanhood Offline
All American

I Root For: San Diego State
(10-27-2017 08:42 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  I never bother watching anything other than games and that didn’t start now. All their shows are bs opinions anyways. College Gameday is unwatchable with the same recycled bs year in year out. Dull and boring

This. I have not watched Gameday in years either. The network is ******.
10-27-2017 08:43 PM
Ocalabull Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USF
I watch gameday but only because of Lee Corso. I met him a couple years ago. He seems like an awesome person.
10-27-2017 08:51 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
gonna lose one more after college football season
10-27-2017 08:56 PM
M1T4 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
Maybe McMurphy and the other former ESPN guys can form a blog on Facebook together and we can read their great insights
10-27-2017 08:57 PM
Ocalabull Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USF
(10-27-2017 08:57 PM)M1T4 Wrote:  Maybe McMurphy and the other former ESPN guys can form a blog on Facebook together and we can read their great insights

I wish ESPN could fire McMurphy again
10-27-2017 09:18 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
I love ESPN. Love College GameDay, it's fun!

Also love the many games they air across 4 channels on college football saturdays. Why would I want that to end? Absurd.

Tomorrow, ESPN is going to air 13 games on its cable channels, and i can tune in to many more on WatchESPN. That is just awesome, no two ways about it.
10-27-2017 10:02 PM
rtaylor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bearcats
(10-27-2017 10:02 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  I love ESPN. Love College GameDay, it's fun!

Also love the many games they air across 4 channels on college football saturdays. Why would I want that to end? Absurd.

Tomorrow, ESPN is going to air 13 games on its cable channels, and i can tune in to many more on WatchESPN. That is just awesome, no two ways about it.

07-coffee3
10-27-2017 10:05 PM
slhNavy91 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Navy
Subscribers not their only revenue (ads etc)
ESPN seems to be - if not cutting edge - at the front of the pack on monetizing streaming.
There is an argument to be made that laying off studio / writing talent is done to prioritize and pay for content. Yes a smaller pieces but it could be using McMurphy's salary to help pay for the proven draw of P6 gamed
10-27-2017 10:10 PM
TulsaEye Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa anon
All that ESPN will do is cut out the small guys and keep their contracts with the big ones.
10-27-2017 10:48 PM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
I love gameday but I don’t like how predictable it is where they host it from. It’s college football live that pisses me off cause it’s the same talking heads saying the same 6 teams are the greatest thing ever and that’s it.
10-27-2017 11:46 PM
Advertisement

PirateJP Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU; Charlotte
Isn't Disney launching their own streaming service in 2019? A lot of revenue to be made there.
10-27-2017 11:50 PM
SMUleopold Offline
1st String

I Root For: Guess, genius..
(10-27-2017 10:02 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  I love ESPN. Love College GameDay, it's fun!

Gameday ain't the issue. If the only problem is Kirkstreet's (sp) dumbazz they would be raking in the money.

ESPN: The Walmart of College Football.
10-27-2017 11:51 PM
Meatwad Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF & The Arsenal
people aren't dropping ESPN because of the political tweets of some on air personality. those 13m that they lost cut cable period. and i haven't met anyone who when they thought about ESPN talked to me about their shows, it's about the games and the games aren't enough to keep people from cutting the cord. and guess what ... when they cut the cord they not only lose ESPN, they also lose their favorite political networks as well. ya don't say.
10-28-2017 03:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(10-28-2017 03:18 AM)Meatwad Wrote:  people aren't dropping ESPN because of the political tweets of some on air personality. those 13m that they lost cut cable period. and i haven't met anyone who when they thought about ESPN talked to me about their shows, it's about the games and the games aren't enough to keep people from cutting the cord. and guess what ... when they cut the cord they not only lose ESPN, they also lose their favorite political networks as well. ya don't say.

Exactly most are cutting cord due to high cost of it. We don’t think of it but there are millions that for years were force to pay for sports that they don’t care about. It will get worse as the new generation finds away around cable/ dish and pays a la carte.
10-28-2017 06:38 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.