Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN has blessed the Wichita State to American move
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
it appears.

In an interview last October after the Big 12 decided to stand pat, Mike Aresco said he planned meet with ESPN in December to "talk about the future."

http://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sp.../93051700/

On December 15, Jon Rothstein broke the story that Wichita St and the American were in talks.

https://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/sources...dition-aac

File this in the no such things as coincidences . . . file.

Aresco's a TV guy. He's not pursuing expansion without talking to the TV partners first and getting their blessing (and an idea of whether it will increase the league's value).

Yet here we are, pursuing expansion.

You do the math. Or I'll do it for you: 2+2=4.
03-31-2017 09:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
RE: ESPN has blessed the Wichita State to American move
(03-31-2017 09:26 AM)CougarRed Wrote:  it appears.

In an interview last October after the Big 12 decided to stand pat, Mike Aresco said he planned meet with ESPN in December to "talk about the future."

On December 15, Jon Rothstein broke the story that Wichita St and the American were in talks.

Aresco's a TV guy. He's not pursuing expansion without talking to the TV partners first and getting their blessing (and an idea of whether it will increase the league's value).

Not an unreasonable conclusion. That said, if Wichita is as good as expected next year, by simply making the tournament and winning just one game, they will offset their cost to the conference for the next 8 years.
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2017 12:00 PM by Attackcoog.)
03-31-2017 11:53 AM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
Don't rule out anything, imo.

Wichita's obviously the hot one, but I think there's enough going on across D1:

Robert Morris
Patriot League football expansion
Chicago State's athletic future
UC San Diego
further WAC expansion
UConn-Big East
Gonzaga leaving WCC
Wichita State-anywhere
Liberty, UMass, and NMSU's adventures in independence
James Madison
Stony Brook

Really, with the AAC, I'm thinking Wichita is almost a done deal. It's just a matter of whether UConn's going anywhere.

And we really need to stop worrying about UConn's football needing to be anywhere. Really, being an independent now isn't a death sentence. And, I still believe MAC would want them...because they also want James Madison.
03-31-2017 02:38 PM
Carolina_Low_Country Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Pirates
If Uconn goes to the Big East they will still not be good until they get rid of their coach. They could hire a great coach today and be back in the Top 15 for next year.
03-31-2017 02:41 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
UConn is not going anywhere. Too many things have to fall in place for a Big East move, or else give up on P5 football. I don;t see any of them happening. Wichita State addition probably calms them down for a few years.

RMU wanting to move falls under "get in line" with two dozen other minor conference members. No compelling need by any conference to add them.

Chicago State is doomed. The only question is do they finish their last contract year with the WAC or fold athletics in June.
Latest clown acts:
Online Homework/Assignment system shut down because school didn't pay $22,000 annual bill ignored warnings for months (and the one claim to fame the interim President has is he runs the Finance Office !)
http://csufacultyvoice.blogspot.com/2017...nitin.html
And they appear to have mismanaged (improperly handled) $51m in Federal Awards funds
http://chicago.suntimes.com/politics/csu...al-awards/
Mr. Lucy amazingly blamed the budget impasse for improper conduct by his office -- "I didn't properly oversee the spending of fund because I needed more money" seems to be his argument.

UCSD is getting curious. Nothing out of the March Big West meetings, nothing on the UC Regents agenda through summer. If the Big West doesn't invite them by early fall, you could see the WAC enter the picture. You have to wonder, if the Big West is inclined to invite them or if they are leaning toward passing for now.
03-31-2017 03:30 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(03-31-2017 09:26 AM)CougarRed Wrote:  it appears.

That makes a lot of sense.

And, if the ACC can have an Olympic-Sports only program (ND), the AAC certainly should to compliment Navy. I like the symmetry of both Navy/WSU competing in the West.

[Image: frac_12-12_37277_md.gif]
03-31-2017 03:52 PM
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
I like what it will do for scheduling. You'll get shadow division schedules in basketball and volleyball like the SEC. For the AAC it means you would play the other 5 schools home and home. You would get 4 of the 6 opposite division shools at hme, and 4 of 6 on the road every year (in three years you'd host each opposite division twice, or put another not have to visit them every third year). It also makes sensible travel pairs. Houston-SMU, Tulsa-Wichita, Memphis-Tulane, UCF-USF, Temple-UConn, and well Cincy and ECU aren't really in driving distance of anyone anyway.

For Baseball and Softball you can move to divisions of 5 (Temple offers neither sport, Tulsa lacks BB, Tulane lacks SB), so you can play 24 games (home and home 3 game series) in division, and 6 games across division, only one out of division road trip, for a full 30 game schedule. No byes. That will shorten everyone's travel. Wichita doesn't play soccer, so no impact. Only the tennis teams get biannual weekend vacation in Wichita.

This will actually reduce travel significantly. And the league adds a top Baseball and Basketball school. This almost certainly adds an additional MBB bid and also another BB bid most years (well the CWS does get on TV). Wichita-SMU, Wichita-Houston, Wichita-UConn, and Wichita-Cincy will be compelling MBB games for ESPN. I don't see a downside
03-31-2017 04:13 PM
Rube Dali Offline
1st String

I Root For: UST, BSU, Minn
(03-31-2017 03:30 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  UCSD is getting curious. Nothing out of the March Big West meetings, nothing on the UC Regents agenda through summer. If the Big West doesn't invite them by early fall, you could see the WAC enter the picture. You have to wonder, if the Big West is inclined to invite them or if they are leaning toward passing for now.

This idea of the Big West not inviting UCSD over not wanting to deflate their RPI numbers so they can get a non-existent at-large bid, the window for gaining such a berth having closed a decade ago, is insane. I think UCSD bites the bullet and says yes to the WAC.
03-31-2017 04:21 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
This is a terrible idea. Wichita State is one coaching change from being nothing again. The AAC would be better off trying to add New Mexico rather than WS. At least New Mexico brings football, a bowl game, and the entire state of New Mexico.
03-31-2017 04:30 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
(03-31-2017 04:30 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  This is a terrible idea. Wichita State is one coaching change from being nothing again. The AAC would be better off trying to add New Mexico rather than WS. At least New Mexico brings football, a bowl game, and the entire state of New Mexico.

We don't need a football team
03-31-2017 04:36 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(03-31-2017 04:30 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  This is a terrible idea. Wichita State is one coaching change from being nothing again. The AAC would be better off trying to add New Mexico rather than WS. At least New Mexico brings football, a bowl game, and the entire state of New Mexico.

When the NBE added Creighton, there were nothing close to the brand name that Wichita State is now.

New Mexico football would be a millstone around the neck of the AAC. They would be subtraction by addition,

With Navy being football only, this was a very rare circumstance where the AAC could add strength in a revenue sport without disrupting the other.

I just don't see the AAC going above its current 12 in pigskin. That would be way too many mouths.
03-31-2017 04:36 PM
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(03-31-2017 02:38 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  Don't rule out anything, imo.

Robert Morris
UC San Diego
further WAC expansion
UConn-Big East
Gonzaga leaving WCC
Wichita State-anywhere
James Madison
Stony Brook

Really, with the AAC, I'm thinking Wichita is almost a done deal. It's just a matter of whether UConn's going anywhere.

And we really need to stop worrying about UConn's football needing to be anywhere. Really, being an independent now isn't a death sentence. And, I still believe MAC would want them...because they also want James Madison.

You forget these schools.

BYU
Saint Mary's
Long Beach State
Merrimack
Bentley
Southern New Hampshire
Most of the Lone Star Conference
Missouri State
VCU
Dayton
UMass basketball
Old Dominion
Southern Mississippi
Northern Iowa
MVC splitting up as the public schools leaving the private schools. Once Wichita State gone, there is no big name basketball school. MVC will fall behind SBC and others. The public schools were not too happy with Loyola-Chicago being added since they brought nothing to the board. Drury have a much better basketball program than Loyola as for privates.
Indiana, Pa.
LIU-Post
UTRGV
Seattle U.
Grand Canyon U.
West Texas A&M
Dixie State and Azusa Pacific been spending money for upgrading their facilities.
Colorado Mesa added sports, and spent some money upgrading.
Central Washington spent money to make improvements of their facilities.
Simon Fraser and Minot State want to go D1 in hockey.
Bellarmine needs a new D1 conference to have their new Women's LAX be in D1. Their men's LAX is already an affiliate for Southern Conference.
Columbus State looking at joining D1.
Belmont is being looked at by both Southern Conference and MVC.
College of Charleston could be brought back into the Southern Conference.
Fordham could pull a Liberty stunt.
Lamar, Sam Houston State and SFA wants FBS.
Eastern Kentucky and Missouri State to the SBC.
IUPU schools to the Horizon League.
UTEP, Rice and North Dakota State to MWC.
03-31-2017 04:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,

Wichita State made the final four in 1965.

It's currently 2017, and they are still among one of the best programs in the country.
03-31-2017 04:42 PM
Rube Dali Offline
1st String

I Root For: UST, BSU, Minn
(03-31-2017 04:41 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  
(03-31-2017 02:38 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  Don't rule out anything, imo.

Robert Morris
UC San Diego
further WAC expansion
UConn-Big East
Gonzaga leaving WCC
Wichita State-anywhere
James Madison
Stony Brook

You forget these schools.

SNIP

You sir, need therapy.
03-31-2017 04:44 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army

New Mexico would only make sense if Colorado St, Air Force, BYU and Boise came with them. The "Western Wing" idea
03-31-2017 05:05 PM
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
lol, the Koch brothers are boosters now. WSU had a top 3 bball budget in the AAC now, prior to the move. They were only bad in the 1990s. otherwise they have had a great program. the simple fact that nobody has been able to pry Marshall from them speaks volumes to their commitment.

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2017 05:54 PM by Hood-rich.)
03-31-2017 05:51 PM
Advertisement

hawghiggs Offline
All American

(03-31-2017 04:42 PM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  

Wichita State made the final four in 1965.

It's currently 2017, and they are still among one of the best programs in the country.

So they had a good run a half a century ago. It still doesn't change they fact that when the coach leaves. WSU current status plummets.
03-31-2017 05:52 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(03-31-2017 05:51 PM)Hood-rich Wrote:  
lol, the Koch brothers are boosters now. WSU had a top 3 bball budget in the AAC now, prior to the move.

Yeah they renovated that arena not too long also, probably nice.
03-31-2017 05:52 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

lol, the Koch brothers are boosters now. WSU had a top 3 bball budget in the AAC now, prior to the move.

So? When the right job pops up. The coach will bolt.
03-31-2017 05:54 PM
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
(03-31-2017 05:54 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  

So? When the right job pops up. The coach will bolt.
wrong. many P5 and high resource G5 have tried to pull him away (UCLA, Iowa, NCSU, Alabama, Texas, Memphis, Illinois...) $5M is what it will take. If they can throw money like that around they have the budget for a really good replacement. The facilities and fan base are knowns fir a potential coach.

(This post was last modified: 03-31-2017 06:40 PM by Hood-rich.)
03-31-2017 05:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.