ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

There's a rumor going round
jumpshooter Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
There's a rumor going round
Apparently reported in 2-3 places, that the AAC is considering adding Wichita State, Dayton and VCU in an effort to beef up its basketball strength. Conversations apparently tasking place "at the highest levels," whatever that might mean.

If that happens, what might we do, if anything? Would it be smart to go indy in football for the sake of better, less-travel-weary basketball? Lots of people on here better at this than me, so I'm interested in opinions.

Link:

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wic...63693.html
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2017 11:46 AM by jumpshooter.)
03-03-2017 11:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

RE: There's a rumor going round
Why would Dayton and/or VCU go to a lesser basketball conference that focuses on football, would substantially increase travel, and allots less NCAA Tounament money to the schools that earned it? Zero chance. Big East would be a more credible rumor. Wichita State, maybe.
03-03-2017 11:48 AM
paintedblue2 Offline
All American

(03-03-2017 11:43 AM)jumpshooter Wrote:  Apparently reported in 2-3 places, that the AAC is considering adding Wichita State, Dayton and VCU in an effort to beef up its basketball strength. Conversations apparently tasking place "at the highest levels," whatever that might mean.

If that happens, what might we do, if anything? Would it be smart to go indy in football for the sake of better, less-travel-weary basketball? Lots of people on here better at this than me, so I'm interested in opinions.

FFS, the AAC taking bb only schools? I know Wichita St. is cinsidering addinf football, but I don't see VCU or Dayton doing so.

If this happens, I think we stay put anyway. The Indy route is a primrose path.
Monarchist13 Offline

(03-03-2017 11:43 AM)jumpshooter Wrote:  Apparently reported in 2-3 places, that the AAC is considering adding Wichita State, Dayton and VCU in an effort to beef up its basketball strength. Conversations apparently tasking place "at the highest levels," whatever that might mean.

It would take the dream of joining the AAC away until the Big12 eventually expands. Houston, Cincy, and Memphis remain the best candidates for that league.

It might be exactly the kick in the pants CUSA and Sun Belt schools need for a reasonable realignment based on geography.
ODUBB35 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
(03-03-2017 11:48 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  Why would Dayton and/or VCU go to a lesser basketball conference that focuses on football, would substantially increase travel, and allots less NCAA Tounament money to the schools that earned it? Zero chance. Big East would be a more credible rumor. Wichita State, maybe.

Doesn't the AAC have two teams in the Top 25, as well as UConn (perennial national championship contender in both men's and women's basketball)?

The AAC is a better basketball conference than the A10.
03-03-2017 12:06 PM
jumpshooter Offline
1st String

Again, according to the story, they're seeking to get even stronger.
03-03-2017 12:08 PM
Advertisement

Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

UCONN may be going back to the Big East
03-03-2017 12:10 PM
djnva Offline
All American

(03-03-2017 11:48 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  Why would Dayton and/or VCU go to a lesser basketball conference that focuses on football, would substantially increase travel, and allots less NCAA Tounament money to the schools that earned it? Zero chance. Big East would be a more credible rumor. Wichita State, maybe.

The conference RPIs are essentially the same, and if those schools jumped the AAC would be a much better basketball conference.

Not sure about the payouts, so I'll take your word for it, but things like that can be negotiated. Travel for Olympic sports would be burdensome, so perhaps they negotiate something there.
03-03-2017 12:12 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Not sure why it would make sense for those schools to leave or why it would make us want to go indy
03-03-2017 12:12 PM
djnva Offline
All American

Yeah, if that happens, why would we go independent? Not sure how this does much to us unless it kicks off a bunch of moves. We're not going A10--the only avenues for us to move are the AAC or Big East, and that's not happening.
03-03-2017 12:14 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(03-03-2017 12:12 PM)djnva Wrote:  

The conference RPIs are essentially the same, and if those schools jumped the AAC would be a much better basketball conference.

Not sure about the payouts, so I'll take your word for it, but things like that can be negotiated. Travel for Olympic sports would be burdensome, so perhaps they negotiate something there.

You are looking at a one-year sample. The A-10 is having a bad year compared to normal and the AAC is having a better year than normal. On average, the A10 is better and sends more teams to the tournament.
03-03-2017 12:24 PM
Advertisement

djnva Offline
All American

I get that. But that includes VCU and Dayton who might be jumping.

Look at the A-10 without those schools--who's the standard bearer?
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2017 12:37 PM by djnva.)
03-03-2017 12:36 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(03-03-2017 12:36 PM)djnva Wrote:  I get that. But that includes VCU and Dayton who might be jumping.

Look at the A-10 without those schools--who's the standard bearer?

Davidson, St. Joe's, St. Bonnies, Richmond, URI, and GW have all been in the NCAAs in the last few years. La Salle makes it from time to time as well. AAC has Cincy and Temple. Memphis lost the Coach Cal momentum and I bet SMU loses the Larry Brown momentum and UCONN the Calhoun momentum in the next couple of years as well. Top to bottom, the A10 has better basketball programs and they are much more regional.
03-03-2017 12:58 PM
djnva Offline
All American

St. Bonaventure has been to the NCAAs once since 2000, and hasn't won a game since 1970.
GW has been to the NCAAs once in last 10 years.
URI hasn't been to NCAAs since 1999.
LaSalle has made it once since 1992.

I do get the regional argument though, but we'll have to agree to disagree whether the 4 schools I listed above give that conference any basketball bonafides.
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2017 03:27 PM by djnva.)
03-03-2017 03:23 PM
EPJr2 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: A-10 VCU

lesser?
AAC RPI = 7
A-10 RPI = 8
03-03-2017 03:26 PM
ODU2K1 Offline
1st String

Having a mix of football playing schools and non-football playing schools is how the AAC came into being in the first place. I get the AAC basketball coaches would like to increase their basketball strength but a house divided between football and basketball will doom them. Again.
03-03-2017 04:24 PM
Advertisement

mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

(03-03-2017 04:24 PM)ODU2K1 Wrote:  Having a mix of football playing schools and non-football playing schools is how the AAC came into being in the first place. I get the AAC basketball coaches would like to increase their basketball strength but a house divided between football and basketball will doom them. Again.

It won't be evenly spli like the BE was. A few non FB schools won't upset the apple cart but they will be treated like the redheaded stepchild. I think the profile and exposure would be greater for VCU and maybe some more money but it may be a wash when you account for travel and NCAA distributions left on the table. It'll be a risk for them though if the B12 or any other P5 schools decides to move again.

If they do move, would that help or hurt ODU's chances of getting an invite in the future. I think it signifies that they won't expand with more FB schools but if they're raided they will likely replace.
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2017 04:44 PM by mturn017.)
03-03-2017 04:44 PM
BigBlueMonarch Offline
King of All Things Unimportant

I Root For: Old Dominion University

Link:

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wic...63693.html

I am not suggesting I am any kind of expert, but why does it seem that we (C-USA) just sits around and lets things happen around it. I know it would be adding and an uneven number in the conference again, but WSU seesm like a perfect fit for C-USA other than the fact we probably cannot pay out anything near what they get now
03-03-2017 04:56 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

That would be a fracking kick in the pants if VCU were to up and take our spot in the AAC. I don't see the AAC taking non-football schools any more than the A10 taking football schools. As stated a zillion times too, its just a matter of time before UCONN, Houston and Cincy (and maybe Memphis leave). Would I go indy in football for an invite to the A10 or AAC as it stands now... yes I would. Will that be an option? Probably not. Our best bet is to hope the AAC does nothing until the big 3 leave and hope we are well positioned for the invite. I'm sick of seeing our former peers like VCU, Wichita, GMU, Butler etc moving on to better conferences while we're stuck. I love football, but it was also supposed to move us to greater things, but now it seems to be holding us back.

Also, the article states WSU and others "such as"... Heres hoping Wood is on the phone and camped outside of the AAC offices 24/7.
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2017 05:21 PM by monarx.)
03-03-2017 05:15 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

We dont have a "spot in the AAC."
03-03-2017 05:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.