Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big East will take UCONN in all non-football sports
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
Big East will take UCONN in all non-football sports
http://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/rothstei...expansion/

Shockingly this is true. Rothstein has legit sources. Aresco needs to act on Wichita and someone else. Time is now.
02-15-2017 11:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

malenko2 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Temple
RE: Big East will take UCONN in all non-football sports
I wonder if UCONN tries independence for football if this actually happens.
02-15-2017 11:09 AM
Spinal070508 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Basketball
That would be a hit to the basketball side of the AAC. Basically leaving the league as a 2 bid league with SMU and UC most years. UConn football is garbage so they could backfill with any football program out there and be fine.
02-15-2017 11:10 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Can't say that I blame UConn one bit here. The AAC media deal is just backbreaking for programs who invest as much into athletics as UConn (and UC as well) do. Moreover, UConn fans will be more enthusiastic about playing regional opponents such as St. John's, Villanova, Providence and Seton Hall as opposed to teams in this conference.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2017 11:21 AM by CliftonAve.)
02-15-2017 11:19 AM
Spinal070508 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Basketball
(02-15-2017 11:19 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Can't say that I blame UConn one bit here. The AAC media deal is just backbreaking for programs who invest as much into athletics as UConn (and UC as well) do. Moreover, UConn fans will be more enthusiastic about playing regional opponents such as St. John's, Villanova, Providence and Seton Hall as opposed to teams in this conference.

Might as well go to 22 conference games and let UC join also. You would get the UC/Xavier game twice a year like UNC/Duke. Those games are always very entertaining to watch.

UC and UConn could start a 2 team football conference. Play each other 5 times per season and whoever wins 3 games is the champ. UC could probably fill out a pretty decent 7 game non-conference schedule but I doubt UConn could. COGS04-cheersCOGS04-rock02-13-banana03-lmfao03-nutkick
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2017 11:28 AM by Spinal070508.)
02-15-2017 11:27 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(02-15-2017 11:27 AM)Spinal070508 Wrote:  
(02-15-2017 11:19 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Can't say that I blame UConn one bit here. The AAC media deal is just backbreaking for programs who invest as much into athletics as UConn (and UC as well) do. Moreover, UConn fans will be more enthusiastic about playing regional opponents such as St. John's, Villanova, Providence and Seton Hall as opposed to teams in this conference.

Might as well go to 22 conference games and let UC join also. You would get the UC/Xavier game twice a year like UNC/Duke. Those games are always very entertaining to watch.

UC and UConn could start a 2 team football conference. Play each other 5 times per season and whoever wins 3 games is the champ. UC could probably fill out a pretty decent 7 game non-conference schedule but I doubt UConn could. COGS04-cheersCOGS04-rock02-13-banana03-lmfao03-nutkick

XU would probably block any such effort. Moreover, I don't think we were ever really beloved by the basketball schools when we were in the Big East (with the exception of Marquette and DePaul who we have history with). It's no coincidence we have not played any of those schools or have them on future schedules since the split.
02-15-2017 11:31 AM
Advertisement

DownEastPirate Offline
1st String

I Root For: East Carolina
(02-15-2017 11:10 AM)Spinal070508 Wrote:  That would be a hit to the basketball side of the AAC. Basically leaving the league as a 2 bid league with SMU and UC most years. UConn football is garbage so they could backfill with any football program out there and be fine.

It will take a hit for sure in the present, but this league is still young. The AAC will be a 3-4 bid league in the next few years. Memphis/Temple/UC/Houston will compete for bids yearly. With Dunleavy, Dawkins and Haith at other AAC schools those guys will have those programs competing for a bid some years(while ECU with Lebo gets further and further behind). The AAC would add WSU if UConn left anyways so the conference would be just fine I think. Definitely nice to have a team with Connecticut's prestige though in the league.

If UConn decides to leave though I think that would be very telling to Edsall and any UConn football fans where that program stands. Aresco surely isn't going to let yall stay in as fball only members and going independent will be the death of that program IMO.
02-15-2017 11:33 AM
eco challenged Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
CUSA or Sunbelt for football?
02-15-2017 11:34 AM
Tigersmoke3 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
After last years apocalyptic scenario, I seriously doubt that Aresco or the AAC would be very sad about losing Uconn. Bball simply is not going to get us where we're trying to go,sorry guys. Truth is the other bball powers will be back to normal soon anyway and replacing Uconn football will only be an upgrade. Yet I'll warn Uconn against once again killing their big time hopes for shortsighted goals. When you add in the bowl money do most of our teams actually make less than the NBE teams and will their abysmal tv ratings deserve that same money when their contract is up, let alone a raise for bball content only. The wise thing to do is to wait for our next contract (which I think will surprise a lot of people) then make a delicious. I truly think we may be able to negotiate for at least close to if not more than 10 million per year,and bball won't be the reason for it 07-coffee3
02-15-2017 11:38 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
I don't think UConn is going anywhere---but if I put my tin foil hat on---what if UConn is working WITH the Aresco and the AAC. Between the coming end of the Navy Indy TV contract and the potential loss of UConn sports to FOX ---might ESPN be more inclined to renegotiate and extend the AAC deal sooner rather than later? Given they have also lost 50% of their Big-10 programming to FOX and given that UConn Womens Basketball game just got the highest rating of any mens or womens basketball game on ESPN2---maybe locking up the AAC, which has turned out to be a far better media property than anyone expected, might make a ton of sense for ESPN. If your going to redo the deal in 3 years anyway---why not do it now and preserve value?

Frankly, a media narrative that has UConn leaving for FOX could end up being an excellent catalyst to trigger immediate negotiations to improve the AAC media deal.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2017 11:48 AM by Attackcoog.)
02-15-2017 11:44 AM
Tigersmoke3 Offline
Special Teams

(02-15-2017 11:33 AM)DownEastPirate Wrote:  
(02-15-2017 11:10 AM)Spinal070508 Wrote:  That would be a hit to the basketball side of the AAC. Basically leaving the league as a 2 bid league with SMU and UC most years. UConn football is garbage so they could backfill with any football program out there and be fine.

It will take a hit for sure in the present, but this league is still young. The AAC will be a 3-4 bid league in the next few years. Memphis/Temple/UC/Houston will compete for bids yearly. With Dunleavy, Dawkins and Haith at other AAC schools those guys will have those programs competing for a bid some years(while ECU with Lebo gets further and further behind). The AAC would add WSU if UConn left anyways so the conference would be just fine I think. Definitely nice to have a team with Connecticut's prestige though in the league.

If UConn decides to leave though I think that would be very telling to Edsall and any UConn football fans where that program stands. Aresco surely isn't going to let yall stay in as fball only members and going independent will be the death of that program IMO.
You left out SMU, and any two good bball schools we could then add, like WSU and maybe VCU. UCONN'S old big East ego could be about to make them overplay their hand. However I do think this is all click bait started by Dodd and Rothstein to stay relevant over the long off season till football. The AAC's future has become great material for the sports world during the off season 07-coffee3
02-15-2017 11:45 AM
Advertisement

fishpro1098 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(02-15-2017 11:44 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  I don't think UConn is going anywhere---but if I put my tin foil hat on---what if UConn is working WITH the Aresco and the AAC. Between the coming end of the Navy Indy TV contract and the potential loss of UConn sports to FOX ---might ESPN be more inclined to renegotiate and extend the AAC deal sooner rather than later? Given they have also lost 50% of their Big-10 programming to FOX and given that UConn Womens Basketball game just got the highest rating of any mens or womens basketball game on ESPN2---maybe locking up the AAC, which has turned out to be a far better media property than anyone expected, might make a ton of sense for ESPN.

Frankly, a media narrative that has UConn leaving for FOX could end up being an excellent catalyst to trigger immediate negotiations to improve the AAC media deal.

Third tier rights is also an issue UCONN is hot to trot about, and for good reason.

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2017 11:49 AM by fishpro1098.)
02-15-2017 11:49 AM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
While it would be sad to see them go, this gives the AAC a great opportunity to get stronger by destroying the MWC and adding BYU (basketball only) and raiding Colorado State, Boise, New Mexico, Air Force, UNLV, San Diego St.

East
Temple
Navy (FB only)
ECU
UCF
USF
Cincinnati
Memphis
Tulane
Tulsa

West
SMU
Houston
Air Force
Colorado State
New Mexico
UNLV
Boise
BYU (FB only)
San Diego State
02-15-2017 11:53 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(02-15-2017 11:49 AM)fishpro1098 Wrote:  
(02-15-2017 11:44 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  I don't think UConn is going anywhere---but if I put my tin foil hat on---what if UConn is working WITH the Aresco and the AAC. Between the coming end of the Navy Indy TV contract and the potential loss of UConn sports to FOX ---might ESPN be more inclined to renegotiate and extend the AAC deal sooner rather than later? Given they have also lost 50% of their Big-10 programming to FOX and given that UConn Womens Basketball game just got the highest rating of any mens or womens basketball game on ESPN2---maybe locking up the AAC, which has turned out to be a far better media property than anyone expected, might make a ton of sense for ESPN.

Third tier rights is also an issue UCONN is hot to trot about, and for good reason.

I think both issues would be addressed. My guess is that ESPN would rather pay for them than lose them to FOX. All I can say is if the Big East discussions are a ploy, its frigging brilliant.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2017 11:56 AM by Attackcoog.)
02-15-2017 11:55 AM
Tigersmoke3 Offline
Special Teams

(02-15-2017 11:53 AM)firmbizzle Wrote:  While it would be sad to see them go, this gives the AAC a great opportunity to get stronger by destroying the MWC and adding BYU (basketball only) and raiding Colorado State, Boise, New Mexico, Air Force, UNLV, San Diego St.

East
Temple
Navy (FB only)
ECU
UCF
USF
Cincinnati
Memphis
Tulane
Tulsa

West
SMU
Houston
Air Force
Colorado State
New Mexico
UNLV
Boise
BYU (FB only)
San Diego State

BINGO.! There would be absolutely no reason to go west and raid the mwc at that point. 04-cheers
02-15-2017 11:57 AM
Philly Brian Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
NCAA rules would keep UConn from taking just football to the MAC, Conf USA, etc.
So UConn would have to go independent in football or drop down to FCS.
It could happen but it would be a blow to UConn football for sure.
They would probably save $$$ by dropping football to the FCS level. I believe that it only cost Villanova $4 million per year to field a top 20 program at FCS level. So UConn saves money on football, the trick is that they would have to be assured that bball revenue will increase.
Keep in mind that at UConn, women's basketball is the #2 revenue generator after the men's program. Football is third and it actually loses money.
02-15-2017 12:24 PM
Advertisement

isidnirb Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
Death blow to their football program. They aren't a name like BYU that can get the exposure as an independent...they'll be more like UMass football if they do it.

Hope this isn't a money grab by UConn a la Boise. No sweetheart deals in the AAC.
02-15-2017 12:25 PM
BcatMatt13 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats
(02-15-2017 12:24 PM)Philly Brian Wrote:  NCAA rules would keep UConn from taking just football to the MAC, Conf USA, etc.
So UConn would have to go independent in football or drop down to FCS.
It could happen but it would be a blow to UConn football for sure.
They would probably save $$$ by dropping football to the FCS level. I believe that it only cost Villanova $4 million per year to field a top 20 program at FCS level. So UConn saves money on football, the trick is that they would have to be assured that bball revenue will increase.
Keep in mind that at UConn, women's basketball is the #2 revenue generator after the men's program. Football is third and it actually loses money.

Then they would essentially be giving up any chance to get into the Big Ten or the ACC. I would think they would want to at least wait and see what happens with the Big 12 here in a few years before giving up on football.
02-15-2017 12:28 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Must. Resist. Urge. Must. Resist
02-15-2017 12:32 PM
Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
(02-15-2017 12:32 PM)shere khan Wrote:  Must. Resist. Urge. Must. Resist

unleash the kracken
02-15-2017 12:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.