Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

National Recognition Survey
Bookmark and Share
JMUrcc06 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU
The best part of the email:

So, I am personally encouraging you to complete the survey by its deadline of [insert date].
02-07-2017 02:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
RE: National Recognition Survey
I laughed at that too. Whoops.
02-07-2017 02:12 PM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
gave me a good chuckle
02-07-2017 02:18 PM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
very excited about emails for upcoming emails by "a national brand communications firm"
02-07-2017 02:20 PM
bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
sholudn't they be sampling from non-alumni for this?
02-07-2017 02:40 PM
JMUrcc06 Offline
1st String

(02-07-2017 02:40 PM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  sholudn't they be sampling from non-alumni for this?

was my second thought after wondering who's fault it was that missed the completion [insert date]. That anyone receiving that email has a skewed vantage point of what JMU is, was and will be. It would make way more sense to send to employers, circles of friends, etc.

I'll reserve the rest of my judgement until I receive the link, hopefully with a completion date.
02-07-2017 03:22 PM
Advertisement

bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

yeah..this has sampling errors written all over it..and nebulous statements of " look how national we are now....alumni (minimum =1) in every state!"

It's also very, very curious timing to do this right after the NC....but again, i'm hoping this is a great survey, serious analysis, and reflects reality that JMU is not a national U at this point.

interested to see it and hope it's a good data point for adding more doctoral and stepping up in just a few areas - JMU is badass and needs to make the move! We all know that our ranking will drop...so what, we'll climb back up over time...

big fish small pond needs to end
02-07-2017 07:52 PM
Yesolitis Offline
Special Teams

Careful what you wish for bcp. Anytime you add to the university, you run the risk of allowing other flourishing areas to not necessarily get the attention/investments needed to maintain critical competitive advantages.

I want the national attention/recognition as much as the next alumnus. However, the question, "At what cost?" needs to be applied thoroughly for all aspects of growth and expansion. Conversely, the lack of expansion also needs to be viewed through the same lens.

JMU is among the greatest undergraduate educational institutions in America. That is hard to argue quite frankly and I love that image.

It is unfortunate that focusing on undergraduate studies is synonymous with the "regional" label, but research dollars drive academia, and JMU is not at that level currently. If we did add more doctorate programs, my fear is we lose the special nature of the university and become like rest.

We all chose JMU for a reason, and for most of us it was not because we could not attend national or major public universities. We instead chose JMU.
02-08-2017 03:38 AM
bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

Can't argue with any of that really, JMU is an incredible, special place...but here is the thing:

- it's Alger's plan...i've been pretty critical of him at times, but am supporting him on this - National U
- we only need to add...2 (maybe 3 Longhorn?) phd programs to be eligible
- sports as a front door to the university (paraphrasing his words, not mine)

I sure hope that the target doesn't move from National U to "look we have national recognition from alumni!" - that wouldn't pass the lowest bar of sniff tests
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2017 11:17 AM by bcp_jmu.)
02-08-2017 11:16 AM
2Buck Offline
All American

(02-08-2017 11:16 AM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  Can't argue with any of that really, JMU is an incredible, special place...but here is the thing:

- it's Alger's plan...i've been pretty critical of him at times, but am supporting him on this - National U

I sure hope that the target doesn't move from National U to "look we have national recognition from alumni!" - that wouldn't pass the lowest bar of sniff tests

I thought the Carnegie classification had to do with the number of PhD degrees conferred vs the number of programs offering PhD degrees?
02-08-2017 12:29 PM
madizoned-level2004 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU and Rutgers
(02-07-2017 03:22 PM)JMUrcc06 Wrote:  
(02-07-2017 02:40 PM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  sholudn't they be sampling from non-alumni for this?

was my second thought after wondering who's fault it was that missed the completion [insert date]. That anyone receiving that email has a skewed vantage point of what JMU is, was and will be. It would make way more sense to send to employers, circles of friends, etc.

I'll reserve the rest of my judgement until I receive the link, hopefully with a completion date.

They may be surveying or focus-grouping many different groups, for all we know. This alumni survey could be just one of several outreach tools they're using.
02-08-2017 12:43 PM
Advertisement

POTUS#4 Offline
1st String

Speaking of recognition, the football team was just recognized on the floor of the House of Delegates. Houston, Schor and Greene were there with the trophy. Got a nice reception from the House and the Speaker, wearing a JMU hat, thanked JMU for doing college sports the right way.
02-08-2017 12:49 PM
Dadgum Offline
1st String

(02-08-2017 12:43 PM)madizoned-level2004 Wrote:  
(02-07-2017 03:22 PM)JMUrcc06 Wrote:  

They may be surveying or focus-grouping many different groups, for all we know. This alumni survey could be just one of several outreach tools they're using.

If there is one thing this administration does very well, its surveys, focus groups, listening tours. It what you do with the information that seems to be a hang up with our administration. I'm reminded of the Seinfeld "taking the reservation and holding the reservation" episode, that is our admin.
02-08-2017 01:50 PM
South Carolina Duke Offline
Banned

Looking forward to receiving mine.
02-08-2017 02:48 PM
bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

(02-08-2017 12:29 PM)2Buck Wrote:  
(02-08-2017 11:16 AM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  Can't argue with any of that really, JMU is an incredible, special place...but here is the thing:

I thought the Carnegie classification had to do with the number of PhD degrees conferred vs the number of programs offering PhD degrees?

Cursory search says you are correct...20 conferred doctorates per year...can't imagine we are far from that? May be other hurdles too...but hope we are not dancing at the finish line!
02-08-2017 05:02 PM
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
Are the survey results fluid?
02-08-2017 05:34 PM
Advertisement

Dadgum Offline
1st String

Hazed, they are ever-changing and complex and will require constant monitoring and reflection.
02-09-2017 10:37 AM
JMUrcc06 Offline
1st String

Survey is live folks! godspeed
02-09-2017 11:16 AM
jmu-fan-1981 Offline
1st String

(02-09-2017 11:16 AM)JMUrcc06 Wrote:  Survey is live folks! godspeed

I didn't get an email. When did you get it?
02-09-2017 11:21 AM
JMUrcc06 Offline
1st String

(02-09-2017 11:21 AM)jmu-fan-1981 Wrote:  
(02-09-2017 11:16 AM)JMUrcc06 Wrote:  Survey is live folks! godspeed

I didn't get an email. When did you get it?

I got it at 10:03 CST. already completed mine... avoiding my to do list at the office.
02-09-2017 11:27 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.