Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Want American citizens to get white collar tech jobs?
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Want American citizens to get white collar tech jobs?
Trump targets tech's H-1B visa hiring tool

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news/.../97240588/

So much winning people so much of it.
01-31-2017 12:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
RE: Want American citizens to get white collar tech jobs?
This ain't winning.
01-31-2017 12:28 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
H1-B Visas are used by many tech firms to pay less to their tech staff and to force American workers to work part time. That is no secret.

Its grossly abused by the tech sector. Its not as big an issue in most other fields.
01-31-2017 12:32 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
An American worker should Never , Ever have to train a foreign worker to replace His job like Disney did. If They are that damn smart, They can figure it out themselves.
01-31-2017 12:33 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(01-31-2017 12:33 PM)CardFan1 Wrote:  An American worker should Never , Ever have to train a foreign worker to replace His job like Disney did. If They are that damn smart, They can figure it out themselves.

04-bow
01-31-2017 12:37 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
H1-B is basically a tool to keep the tech labor market flooded with excess capacity in order to keep labor prices low. A real screwjob for US workers.

However, if our labor costs do go up then we can't compete globally.

Catch-22

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
01-31-2017 01:50 PM
Advertisement

Bull_Is_Back Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Buffalo
(01-31-2017 12:33 PM)CardFan1 Wrote:  An American worker should Never , Ever have to train a foreign worker to replace His job like Disney did. If They are that damn smart, They can figure it out themselves.

Easy to say when you're not facing the prospect of not feeding your kids.

It works like this...

Stay and train and you get 3 more months to look for a job plus a decent little severance package.

Don't train and you're gone now with whatever vacation/sick pay you are owed.
01-31-2017 01:53 PM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
(01-31-2017 01:53 PM)Bull_Is_Back Wrote:  

Easy to say when you're not facing the prospect of not feeding your kids.

It works like this...

Stay and train and you get 3 more months to look for a job plus a decent little severance package.

Don't train and you're gone now with whatever vacation/sick pay you are owed.

and the whole thing is super f***ed up.
01-31-2017 01:55 PM
Bull_Is_Back Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Buffalo
(01-31-2017 01:50 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  H1-B is basically a tool to keep the tech labor market flooded with excess capacity in order to keep labor prices low. A real screwjob for US workers.

Catch-22

The problem is that a lot of these service can now be done overseas... Many, not all but many, of these H1B's will be traded for an off shore party.

But you would be surprised, H1B's here are not working for that much below the average american worker (5-10% in most cases). What they do is put in more hours and take less time off.

If young people coming out were willing to pay their dues, work the 55 hour (salary) weeks for a couple of years to establish themselves this would go away.

My first four or five years in IT were a lot of 50-60 hour weeks. Now I am probably averaging about 45 or so.
01-31-2017 01:56 PM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
The way I see it if you have to bring someone into the country to fulfill a job. said person should be paid 3x the traditional wage for that field. that would force companies to look domestically to train someone to fulfill that job and it would certainly end the disney crap.

obviously you would need a carefully worded exemption for cases where a company is simply trying to attract a specific individual because they consider him incredibly talented and a valuable asset.
01-31-2017 02:00 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(01-31-2017 01:50 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  H1-B is basically a tool to keep the tech labor market flooded with excess capacity in order to keep labor prices low. A real screwjob for US workers.

Catch-22

They shift that to Ireland. We should not be importing workers in the IT industry to take American jobs.
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2017 05:33 PM by SuperFlyBCat.)
01-31-2017 02:06 PM
Advertisement

olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
(01-31-2017 02:00 PM)john01992 Wrote:  The way I see it if you have to bring someone into the country to fulfill a job. said person should be paid 3x the traditional wage for that field. that would force companies to look domestically to train someone to fulfill that job and it would certainly end the disney crap.

obviously you would need a carefully worded exemption for cases where a company is simply trying to attract a specific individual because they consider him incredibly talented and a valuable asset.

My gosh. I'm actually agreeing with Johnny.

America first.
01-31-2017 05:28 PM
2-Hood-Rich Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ECU
(01-31-2017 12:28 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  This ain't winning.
says the resident elite globalist.

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app
01-31-2017 05:38 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(01-31-2017 05:38 PM)2-Hood-Rich Wrote:  

No, the resident realist.

H-1B's aren't taking visas away from Americans because there are no Americans who can do the work. Over half the advanced degrees in IT fields at US universities are going to foreigners because we don't have Americans who can get into the programs. The fix is to fix our education system until Americans can qualify for those slots, but we are nowhere near there today.

If they can't work in the US, the software companies have no alternative but to move their tech centers overseas. That means that the US loses jobs and economic growth and tax revenues. The alternative is that we train those brains and then lose them forever.

Disagree? Fine. Explain to me how things could work differently.
01-31-2017 05:50 PM
2-Hood-Rich Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-31-2017 05:50 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

H-1B's aren't taking visas away from Americans because there are no Americans who can do the work. Over half the advanced degrees in IT fields at US universities are going to foreigners because we don't have Americans who can get into the programs. The fix is to fix our education system until Americans can qualify for those slots, but we are nowhere near there today.

If they can't work in the US, the software companies have no alternative but to move their tech centers overseas. That means that the US loses jobs and economic growth and tax revenues. The alternative is that we train those brains and then lose them forever.

You addressed it, fix education so that Americans can do more of these jobs. That said we give too many of these away. We need WAY more American tech people. That goes for trades too.

My post to you was somewhat tongue in cheek but you've documented your self as pro TPP, pro NAFTA, weak (imo) on immigration, etc. Please let's not rehash those.

If we don't create more jobs here what the hell are lower middle and middle class Americans going to be doing? I'm at the point that I don't mind paying a little more for product / services as long as the quality is better. I'm not getting that with goods made in Mexico or tech support when I can't understand the guy on the other line. I used to work for Bechtel so I know exactly how that works (Indian engineering team for example).

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2017 06:05 PM by 2-Hood-Rich.)
01-31-2017 06:04 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

you need a link for that. US universities do love foreign students, it is a cash cow.
Americans can do and are very qualified for those careers.
01-31-2017 06:09 PM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(01-31-2017 06:09 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  

you need a link for that. US universities do love foreign students, it is a cash cow.
Americans can do and are very qualified for those careers.

http://college.usatoday.com/2015/07/08/i...m-degrees/

Not exactly the same, but pretty close.

Check Bill Gates's testimony before Congress in March of 2008 http://www.networkworld.com/article/2284...mony.html.
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2017 06:36 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
01-31-2017 06:22 PM
2-Hood-Rich Offline
Bench Warmer

ok so that's another question. why are we taking so many foreign students (aside from the obvious answer)? I drive by UNC Charlotte every day at 7:30 and work 1/2 mile from there. 75% of the students I see walking back and forth are of Asian decent.

01-31-2017 06:31 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(01-31-2017 01:56 PM)Bull_Is_Back Wrote:  

Catch-22

The problem is that a lot of these service can now be done overseas... Many, not all but many, of these H1B's will be traded for an off shore party.

But you would be surprised, H1B's here are not working for that much below the average american worker (5-10% in most cases). What they do is put in more hours and take less time off.

If young people coming out were willing to pay their dues, work the 55 hour (salary) weeks for a couple of years to establish themselves this would go away.

My first four or five years in IT were a lot of 50-60 hour weeks. Now I am probably averaging about 45 or so.

In other words, the companies aren't paying enough to get the employees to do that.
01-31-2017 06:35 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

Companies bring in H1-B while lots of talented American programmers are unemployed. What you are describing are their talking points, but not reality.

Now there are plenty of Americans who want to get into electrical engineering. The problem is very talented foreigners are coming into our universities and out-competing them. But those people usually get green cards. They don't tend to be the H1-B people.
01-31-2017 06:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.