Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN Reporting Chargers are leaving San Diego for Los Angeles ....
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: da Ville/ACC
ESPN Reporting Chargers are leaving San Diego for Los Angeles ....
Official announcement Thursday...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18455...os-angeles
01-11-2017 10:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
RE: ESPN Reporting Chargers are leaving San Diego for Los Angeles ....
Spanos has called a meeting of Chargers employees for 8 am, and they've scheduled a news conference in LA later in the day.
01-11-2017 11:07 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
No surprise. San Diego residents shot down the stadium funding proposal and simply moving to LA would add $1 billion or more to the Chargers franchise value. The Raiders heading to Las Vegas will be coming next.
01-11-2017 11:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: da Ville/ACC
(01-11-2017 11:31 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  No surprise. San Diego residents shot down the stadium funding proposal and simply moving to LA would add $1 billion or more to the Chargers franchise value. The Raiders heading to Las Vegas will be coming next.

And on that front it looks like Adelson is being pushed out in regards to stadium financing.
01-11-2017 11:47 PM

_C2_ Offline
The King of Overanalysis

I Root For: Houston
So stupid. The Raiders should have jumped at the chance to be LA's team, they're still the most popular team there and in California in general. At the very least, they should have shared Levi's Stadium with the 49ers but their pride got in the way (they could always move back to Oakland/East Bay later).
01-12-2017 12:30 AM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
Pretty sure this is the first time any sportswriter for a major paper has ever written a column like this to "welcome" a new major-sport team to town:

We. Don't. Want. You.
01-12-2017 02:23 AM
goofus Offline
1st String

I Root For: Iowa
(01-12-2017 12:30 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  So stupid. The Raiders should have jumped at the chance to be LA's team, they're still the most popular team there and in California in general. At the very least, they should have shared Levi's Stadium with the 49ers but their pride got in the way (they could always move back to Oakland/East Bay later).

I am sure with the public funding deal, the Raiders will need to sign at least a 30 year air tight lease with the new stadium in Vegas. The Raiders will be stuck there for at least 1 generation.

Of course the Rams originally signed a 30 year lease with St. Louis, but cleverly put in an escape clause that the the dome always needed to one of the top rated stadiums in the league. I am sure no city will ever make that mistake ever again.
01-12-2017 02:24 AM

goofus Offline
1st String

I Root For: Iowa
I kind of get the feeling that Spanos heart is not really in this move to Los Angeles, that he would rather stay in San Diego, even if that decision costs him a billion dollars. But in the end he is gping to take the money.

But in the end the move is still a gamble. LA may never warm up to the Chargers. I wonder if the Chargers would have an easy escape clause if they want to move back to San Diego.

Of course tbe $650M relocation fee to move to LA would show that the decision to move to LA is not just a temporary move.. they are really moving there forever.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2017 02:34 AM by goofus.)
01-12-2017 02:30 AM
NoDak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UND
San Diego will become the largest metro with just one pro team. If a new arena is built, the NHL will land in San Diego.
01-12-2017 02:49 AM
_C2_ Offline
The King of Overanalysis

I Root For: Houston
(01-12-2017 02:24 AM)goofus Wrote:  I am sure with the public funding deal, the Raiders will need to sign at least a 30 year air tight lease with the new stadium in Vegas. The Raiders will be stuck there for at least 1 generation.

Of course the Rams originally signed a 30 year lease with St. Louis, but cleverly put in an escape clause that the the dome always needed to one of the top rated stadiums in the league. I am sure no city will ever make that mistake ever again.

Like I said, Raiders in LA and Chargers in Vegas. The Chargers have no fanbase north of Orange County. The Raiders fans had a vocal presence at that last game in San Diego, let alone still being more popular than the Rams in LA. At least with Vegas, the Chargers would be able to start anew in a vacant market.
01-12-2017 06:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.