Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What might be happening . . . (TV related)
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
What might be happening . . . (TV related)
The current American deal expires in 2019-20 (hat tip AttackCoog).

Navy joins the contract in the fall of 2018 for everything except the 2018 Notre Dame game (CBS has the option on that 2018 game) and the Army game (CBS has that game under contract through 2018).

If we wanted to renegotiate our deal one year early, we could use Navy coming on board in 2018 along with Wichita St coming on board in 2018-19 as the impetus to get a new contract in place for 2018-19 (i.e. two years early).

Negotiations for a new contract in 2018-19 would need to begin in 2017. It's almost 2017.

This could be driving the Wichita State speculation.
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2016 03:43 PM by CougarRed.)
12-16-2016 03:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
RE: What might be happening . . . (TV related)
That is what I mentioned in the Wichita thread yesterday and fully believe it.
12-16-2016 03:27 PM
Attackcoog Offline

Agree. Interesting points you make.

I think our deal might expire a little later though (the 6yr football deal began in 2014-15 season if I remember correctly and would end in the 2019-2020 season). My feeling is we probably wont get our maximum value without hitting the open market. However, its worth accepting an early extension if it immediately pays us more. We need that money now. If that extension comes any later than 2017-2018 season, we are probably better off just waiting for our opportunity to hit the open market as any increase the final years of the current contract would only affect one year. Not much point in accepting years of less than optimal earnings over the life of the contract for a year or 2 of increased earnings. However, if the early extension happens before summer of this year---we would be looking at THREE years of increased earnings over the final years of the old contract. Getting that pay increase 3 years early starts to make jumping into an early extension significantly more attractive as would affect half the length of the existing deal we signed. FWIW--The MAC signed their new extension with 3 years left to go.
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2016 03:41 PM by Attackcoog.)
12-16-2016 03:31 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-16-2016 03:31 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Agree. Interesting points you make.

I think our deal might expire a little later though (the 6yr football deal began in 2014-15 season if I remember correctly and would end in the 2019-2020 season).

Damn you're right. We are trying to get a new deal 2 years early.
12-16-2016 03:42 PM
Advertisement

BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
While this league is getting grossly rapped tv $$$ deal wise I also am extremely excited for the amount tv exposure Houston has received this season via ABC/ESPN.

To those who posted yesterday about Wichita State and this league's timing for marriage... I agree, there's definitely something going on and an payout $$$ upgrade could be nearing for the AAC.
12-16-2016 04:04 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(12-16-2016 04:04 PM)BigHouston Wrote:  While this league is getting grossly rapped tv $$$ deal wise I also am extremely excited for the amount tv exposure Houston has received this season via ABC/ESPN.

To those who posted yesterday about Wichita State and this league's timing for marriage... I agree, there's definitely something going on and an payout $$$ upgrade could be nearing for the AAC.

well some of that is because you guys were top 10....that OU/UH game isn't on ABC national if UH is weren't ranked. You guys had tremendous tv exposure because you were a hot team the last couple years.

UC had that type of exposure in 2009 as the season progressed with more and more games being shown on national tv as we climbed the rankings....culminating with the UC @Pitt game on CBS national noon slot that year. We finally felt what it was like to be big time. That night we came a fg away from potentially playing the national title game as Nebraska imploded vs Texas in the final minute. Then it about two days later BK left for ND taking most of his staff with him. And that was pretty much that lol.
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2016 08:24 AM by Bearcats#1.)
12-17-2016 08:23 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
The facts are as mentioned above that we are underpaid.
The league had three teams in top 25 last year and two again this year.
I fully expect USF and at least one other AAC team to be ranked next year

So ESPN has a good deal. The AAC now doesn't look like it will be raided until at least the B12 GOR runs out. So I could see our success, plus Navy contract and Wichita State deals making ESPN think about a new 6 million or so contract.

The Wichita State rumors don't happen unless ESPN is driving them. I also wouldn't be surprise if Army comes back in the picture. Their on field success might make them more willing to join league and bringing that Army- Navy game into tv contract would be valuable.

If Army does decide to join who is # 14
12-17-2016 09:09 AM
Advertisement

Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
BYU deal runs through 2018 but ESPN has option for 2019. Don't know if there is mutual interest.
12-17-2016 09:18 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(12-17-2016 09:09 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  The facts are as mentioned above that we are underpaid.

So ESPN has a good deal. The AAC now doesn't look like it will be raided until at least the B12 GOR runs out. So I could see our success, plus Navy contract and Wichita State deals making ESPN think about a new 6 million or so contract.

The Wichita State rumors don't happen unless ESPN is driving them. I also wouldn't be surprise if Army comes back in the picture. Their on field success might make them more willing to join league and bringing that Army- Navy game into tv contract would be valuable.

The school drawing the most eyeballs (important also in the cord cutting environment I suppose) is BYU. I realize it is a difficult task, but I think due diligence requires that the AAC make a push to gain BYU's membership.
12-17-2016 09:23 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(12-17-2016 09:23 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  
(12-17-2016 09:09 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  The facts are as mentioned above that we are underpaid.

The school drawing the most eyeballs (important also in the cord cutting environment I suppose) is BYU. I realize it is a difficult task, but I think due diligence requires that the AAC make a push to gain BYU's membership.

OH I agree BYU would have to be contacted by the league. I just don't see them moving but maybe a little prodding from ESPN would help.
12-17-2016 09:28 AM
Advertisement

Tigersmoke3 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis

I think we'll have more than two next year with USF, Memphis, UCF and tulsa all returning most of their starters with great recruiting classes coming in and if Houston and Temple can make their coaching transitions smoothly you can't cut them out. The AAC could be poised for its best year ever next season as far as ranked teams go. Now I have to say that I don't understand why some people think we have some artificial ceiling of 6mil. I think if we can make it to the open market we may be able to get at least the last OBE offer of about 13mil. With our ratings and on field performance that would be a win-win for us and the networks :cheers:
12-17-2016 09:33 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(12-17-2016 09:28 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  

OH I agree BYU would have to be contacted by the league. I just don't see them moving but maybe a little prodding from ESPN would help.

Agree.
12-17-2016 09:37 AM
Attackcoog Offline

(12-17-2016 09:37 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  

Agree.

BYU isn't coming. If Army did decide to join, Air Force would be an excellent bookend. Getting all 3 academies under one flag would give the American the perfect identity to match its name. Having all 3 games of the Commanders Cup would be a pretty valuable addition to the leagues TV package.
12-17-2016 09:57 AM
shizzle787 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
(12-17-2016 09:57 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(12-17-2016 09:37 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  

Agree.

BYU isn't coming. If Army did decide to join, Air Force would be an excellent bookend. Getting all 3 academies under one flag would give the American the perfect identity to match its name. Having all 3 games of the Commanders Cup would be a pretty valuable addition to the leagues TV package.

Air Force would only be allowed to come for football only.
12-17-2016 10:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.