Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A "great" Coach does this: wins at UNLV, not Texas
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
Exclamation A "great" Coach does this: wins at UNLV, not Texas
With all the rumors about big coaching jobs at Texas and USC coming up and names like Herman and Kiffen and being tossed around...I thought of something. What if Nick Saben or Urban Meyer took over at UNLV or a Tulane? Any good coach can do great things at Alabama or Texas but UNLV? That would prove greatness in my opinion. Could Meyer elevate a UNLV into a powerhouse? Would they ever have the guts to try?
10-26-2016 05:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
RE: A "great" Coach does this: wins at UNLV, not Texas
Who knew a thread like this could pop up in the heart of the season? No offense BB777, you're a good poster.
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2016 11:07 PM by C2__.)
10-26-2016 05:48 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
On the flip side of that coin, however, is that "great" coaches want to be in situations with (optimally) rich history, high priced resources, sparkling new facilities and strong fan support. Great coaches, given their needed ego, need to have this things in order to be consistently pushed in order to "be better". Saban has everything he can ever want at Alabama - and the man is still not satisfied with where he is or where his program is. Meyer is no different, even after coming "home" and coaching his favorite school growing up.

Great coaches are never at peace, regardless of where they coach, but they do like their ego fed with amenities that allow them to get an advantage over their counterparts.

Having said that, Saban won at Toledo, Meyer at Bowling Green, Harbaugh at San Diego, Beamer at Murray State, Kelly at Grand Valley State, etc. Great coaches win anywhere, but when they have an opportunity to coach on the biggest stage with a huge paycheck and infinite resources, who's to say it's wrong to take that opportunity?
10-26-2016 06:07 PM
Greenroom Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UTSA
(10-26-2016 05:43 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  With all the rumors about big coaching jobs at Texas and USC coming up and names like Herman and Kiffen and being tossed around...I thought of something. What if Nick Saben or Urban Meyer took over at UNLV or a Tulane? Any good coach can do great things at Alabama or Texas but UNLV? That would prove greatness in my opinion. Could Meyer elevate a UNLV into a powerhouse? Would they ever have the guts to try?

The question is not could they develop it into a powerhouse. the answer is yes, Most of these coaches have won on the smaller school level. The real question, is would they be able to stay. And that answer is no. To much money at the bigger schools. Take Peterson at Boise St. He took it to where it was a powerhouse, then took the UW job.
10-26-2016 06:48 PM
PiratePanther189 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU, AAC
(10-26-2016 05:48 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  Who knew a thread like this could pop up in the heart of the season. No offense BB777, you're a good poster.

It's because ECU's season is already over 03-lmfao

I feel his pain
10-26-2016 07:44 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(10-26-2016 05:48 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  Who knew a thread like this could pop up in the heart of the season. No offense BB777, you're a good poster.

Thanks C2...I think? haha

Cheers!
10-26-2016 07:45 PM
Advertisement

billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(10-26-2016 06:07 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  On the flip side of that coin, however, is that "great" coaches want to be in situations with (optimally) rich history, high priced resources, sparkling new facilities and strong fan support. Great coaches, given their needed ego, need to have this things in order to be consistently pushed in order to "be better". Saban has everything he can ever want at Alabama - and the man is still not satisfied with where he is or where his program is. Meyer is no different, even after coming "home" and coaching his favorite school growing up.

Great coaches are never at peace, regardless of where they coach, but they do like their ego fed with amenities that allow them to get an advantage over their counterparts.

Having said that, Saban won at Toledo, Meyer at Bowling Green, Harbaugh at San Diego, Beamer at Murray State, Kelly at Grand Valley State, etc. Great coaches win anywhere, but when they have an opportunity to coach on the biggest stage with a huge paycheck and infinite resources, who's to say it's wrong to take that opportunity?

Saban and Urban Meyer are never satisfied. I get that. What better way to prove greatness than take a Tulane or a UNLV to greatness? Can you imagine the press conference: I've decided to take on the impossible. I'm going to coach at a school not part of the power structure and win a national championship."
I for one would follow every single moment of Urban Meyers career at San Diego St and Nick Saban's career at Tulane as they tried to make the impossible possible. That would be the ballsiest thing I can think of for a coach who says he's "never satisfied."
Cheers!
10-26-2016 07:54 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(10-26-2016 07:44 PM)PiratePanther189 Wrote:  

I feel his pain

We ECU fans have to have something to talk about and basketball is coming up which means you'll be getting a lot of these type of threads for awhile...
Cheers!
10-26-2016 08:16 PM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
kind of reminds of when Lute Olson left a final 4 team at Iowa to become coach at Arizona, which at the time was not the Arizona program we know today, but really was a school with zero basketball tradition time. olson was one of those coaches. turned a nothing program into a national power.

i guess you could say Bobby Bowden did something similar with FSU.
10-26-2016 08:31 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
This is why I say that Bobby Petrino is the best coach in the profession today. At both Arkansas and Louisville. He was able to lift these programs to prominence in the modern era. He didn't have overpaid assistants and fertile recruiting grounds. He had nothing but the schemes that he planned.
10-26-2016 08:44 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
The ole ball coach said the same thing.

It's why Bill Snyder may be the finest coach to ever walk the sideline.
10-26-2016 08:48 PM
Advertisement

billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(10-26-2016 08:31 PM)goofus Wrote:  kind of reminds of when Lute Olson left a final 4 team at Iowa to become coach at Arizona, which at the time was not the Arizona program we know today, but really was a school with zero basketball tradition time. olson was one of those coaches. turned a nothing program into a national power.

i guess you could say Bobby Bowden did something similar with FSU.

Great example! Perfect! Ol Lute! I was 7 or 8 when he left Iowa to go to Arizona. You are right, Arizona wasn't even a top team in the WAC let alone the PAC. When he went to Arizona, UNM, UTEP, UNLV and NM St were the regional powers. Arizona was awful with no fan support. When I was a kid Ronnie Lester was the name....Werent Greg Stokes and Michael Payne freshman on that talented Iowa team that Lute left?
Cheers!
10-26-2016 09:06 PM
PiratePanther189 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU, AAC
(10-26-2016 08:16 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(10-26-2016 07:44 PM)PiratePanther189 Wrote:  

I feel his pain

We ECU fans have to have something to talk about and basketball is coming up which means you'll be getting a lot of these type of threads for awhile...
Cheers!

Yep...which is why it was concerning to see that Ruffin McNeill thread over on the AAC board...that SDSU fan had no clue what he'd started under the circumstances!
10-26-2016 10:28 PM
fishpro1098 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(10-26-2016 05:43 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  With all the rumors about big coaching jobs at Texas and USC coming up and names like Herman and Kiffen and being tossed around...I thought of something. What if Nick Saben or Urban Meyer took over at UNLV or a Tulane? Any good coach can do great things at Alabama or Texas but UNLV? That would prove greatness in my opinion. Could Meyer elevate a UNLV into a powerhouse? Would they ever have the guts to try?

I bet Jim Harbaugh could. He started out at San Diego University in the Pioneer League.

Harbaugh's first coaching job.

(This post was last modified: 10-27-2016 01:17 AM by fishpro1098.)
10-27-2016 01:17 AM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(10-26-2016 06:07 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  On the flip side of that coin, however, is that "great" coaches want to be in situations with (optimally) rich history, high priced resources, sparkling new facilities and strong fan support. Great coaches, given their needed ego, need to have this things in order to be consistently pushed in order to "be better". Saban has everything he can ever want at Alabama - and the man is still not satisfied with where he is or where his program is. Meyer is no different, even after coming "home" and coaching his favorite school growing up.

Yeah, the resource thing is a big driver. A guy like Harbaugh leaves USD because there's only so much he can do at a program that can't financially assist his recruits, always adding to the challenge of the operation. When he moved up to Stanford, he was used to some of those challenges, but presented in different ways. He goes pro, where he can't command the respect he feels he's entitled, then goes to a public institution, his alma mater, where he can have his ego stroked by his title in a place where student athletes aren't equals or have the rights pro's do, and enjoy more freedoms with operations he didn't have anywhere else along the way.

Maybe a good example could be Mark Few. The guy's been there for all of Gonzaga's NCAA tournament appearances, first as the assistant, then the coach. The program's got some adequate bones to it before him, but nothing remotely close to what he was a part of. Gonzaga is the only thing on his coaching resume. He could definitely find better resources elsewhere, but they wouldn't be his, like they are at GU.
10-27-2016 02:26 AM
Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
How many of those successful coaches at smaller programs can handle the pressure to win at an Alabama or a Texas?
10-27-2016 08:26 AM
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
(10-27-2016 08:26 AM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  How many of those successful coaches at smaller programs can handle the pressure to win at an Alabama or a Texas?

I don't think that outweighs the difficult of a job with no talent in an area with little tradition of success.

It's far easier to win at Alabama with every great recruit you can find and 5 star talent, even with boosters and administration breathing down your neck, than it is to win at a place with no talent and no tradition.

Do boosters make it more difficult? Yes. Is that less of a handicap than no talent? Yes.
10-27-2016 03:39 PM
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,

I think our coach has pretty much silenced talks of him being canned. Tonight, we could possible move to 5-3 after we beat the Cal Teddy Bears. Then we are favored to win every single game left except Washington which we still have a good chance to win if we keep improving.

If he turns this disaster into a 9-4 season (lose 1 more win bowl), 10-3(win out and win bowl), or at best 11-3 winning the Pac-12 and a major bowl game he is here to stay.

I personally think we go 9-4 with a lose to Washington but that would still a good way to start his tenure at USC.
10-27-2016 04:29 PM
Sultan of Euphonistan Offline
All American

I Root For: Baritones
(10-26-2016 07:54 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

Saban and Urban Meyer are never satisfied. I get that. What better way to prove greatness than take a Tulane or a UNLV to greatness? Can you imagine the press conference: I've decided to take on the impossible. I'm going to coach at a school not part of the power structure and win a national championship."
I for one would follow every single moment of Urban Meyers career at San Diego St and Nick Saban's career at Tulane as they tried to make the impossible possible. That would be the ballsiest thing I can think of for a coach who says he's "never satisfied."
Cheers!

Tulane? Are you kidding me? If Saban wanted to prove he could do the impossible he would go back to Kent State where he started and perform the miracle with that. You win a championship at Kent State in football you can win it anywhere lol.
10-27-2016 10:30 PM
BewareThePhog Offline
1st String

I Root For: KU
(10-26-2016 08:48 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  The ole ball coach said the same thing.

It's why Bill Snyder may be the finest coach to ever walk the sideline.
I'm not sure Snyder is the finest coach ever, but he's certainly one of the best matches of coach to school that you can find. His way of getting the most out of the resources he has is a perfect match for K-State. He's certainly one of those guys who fits one of the criteria of a good coach, in terms of the fact that he seldom loses to teams that he "should" beat.
10-28-2016 03:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.