Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Off the Island or On
IHAVETRIED Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville
Off the Island or On
I have 'religiously' followed this board for three years. But I have rarely started a thread.

This is an easy subject. My thesis is that most of us would like to reconstitute the P5. According to our own precepts.

Many of us would like to do away with P's and G's. (not gonna happen right now)

We are smack dab in the middle of the silly season. Sooo--

I propose we nominate 8 teams from the P5 that should be 'relegated', and 8 teams from the G5 that would be 'promoted'.

I suggest that there are zero rules of play, you say what you want for ANY reason you may have. Personal or your own Logic. Pedigree, Academics, Financial, Market, Performance, Affinity, Hatred, Love.

Provide your 'reasoning' if you wish. Hopefully it will at least moderately logical.

Remember to think of FB AND BB and also all other sports.

Excluding Notre Dame, BYU and Army.

I will start:

Relegated:

Wake Forest
Vanderbilt
Iowa State
Washington State
Rutgers
Boston College
Oregon State
Texas Tech

Promoted

Connecticut
Cincinnati
Houston
Boise State
Memphis
Colorado State
East Carolina
San Diego State
06-14-2016 10:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
RE: Off the Island or On
This looks like a thread that could easily become a smack thread or a haven for trolling.

So, if that's where this thread ends up, then it's going to be moved to the smack talk board also known as the Verbal Assault Area (VAA).
06-14-2016 10:57 PM
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
(06-14-2016 10:31 PM)IHAVETRIED Wrote:  I have 'religiously' followed this board for three years. But I have rarely started a thread.

This is an easy subject. My thesis is that most of us would like to reconstitute the P5. According to our own precepts.

I propose we nominate 8 teams from the P5 that should be 'relegated', and 8 teams from the G5 that would be 'promoted'.

I suggest that there are zero rules of play, you say what you want for ANY reason you may have. Personal or your own Logic. Pedigree, Academics, Financial, Market, Performance, Affinity, Hatred, Love.

Provide your 'reasoning' if you wish. Hopefully it will at least moderately logical.

I will start:

Relegated:

Wake Forest ranked in 2006
Vanderbilt ranked in 2012 and 2013
Iowa State
Washington State
Rutgers
Boston College last ranked in 2007
Oregon State last ranked in 2012
Texas Tech last ranked in 2009

Promoted

Connecticut
Cincinnati
Houston
Boise State
Memphis
Colorado State
East Carolina
San Diego State

wouldn't better candidates to drop down be Syracuse (last ranked in 2001), Pitt (ranked 3 times since 2000 and the last time in 2009), Miami (last ranked in 2009), NC State (ranked 2 times since 2000 last in 2010), Virginia (last ranked in 2004), UNC (ranked 1 time since 1997 in 2015)

somehow you are trying to drop down teams that have been ranked many more times in recent history and or have been ranked more recently when there is half of a conference filled with teams that suck that could be dropped down

then for some reason you want to elevate programs like those in red that have not been ranked since 1995 (ECU), since 2000 (CSU), 1977 (SDSU), evAR (UConn)

that makes no sense....then you talk about "all other sports", but most of the teams you have relegated like Vandy (very strong baseball), Texas Tech in the CWS this year and 2014 and the NCAAs this year, Oregon State two CWS titles, Iowa State NCAA tournament the last 5 years in a row and a sweet 16 this year and in 2014 have done more in the other sports than many of the teams you mentioned as well to be "elevated"

wouldn't it have just been easier to start a "hey I am new here" thread and then tell us all how you are related to David State?

it seems you do not have a great deal of knowledge about college sports in general especially as it relates to your "consider all sports" criteria nor do you have the ability to actually consider all sports because you seem to be focusing on elevating some teams based on performances in a single sport (while not even realizing their performance in that sport is not as good as some you want to relegate) and then even more so ignoring their performance in ALL THE OTHER SPORTS.....like how great CSU is in baseball much less football or how Memphis has had really one really good season in football in a few decades and they are not all that great at baseball either or how UH has been to the NCAAs 1 time since 1992 and they have been ranked 2 times in football since 1990 and the CWS 2 times with the last in 1967

you seem really focused on VERY recent singular seasons for some teams while ignoring the longer term strings of success that others have accomplished in many sports even if in any one of those particular sports they might be a bit down.....while at the same time still having that recent success in other sports

PS you left out Towson and Arkansas Tech, but your "relation" will probably be along soon to correct that
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2016 02:06 AM by TodgeRodge.)
06-15-2016 02:05 AM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
BigTen
Demote Northwestern
promote UCONN

ACC
Demote Wake Forest
Promote Cincy

SEC
Demote Miss St
Promote UCF

Big12
Demote Baylor
Promote Col St

PAC
Demote Wash St
Promote Hawaii
06-15-2016 05:58 AM
IHAVETRIED Offline
Special Teams

(06-15-2016 05:58 AM)goofus Wrote:  BigTen
Demote Northwestern
promote UCONN

ACC
Demote Wake Forest
Promote Cincy

SEC
Demote Miss St
Promote UCF

Big12
Demote Baylor
Promote Col St

PAC
Demote Wash St
Promote Hawaii
Now THAT'S a decent response. And I'll bet your college sports intelligence won't be questioned.
06-15-2016 07:41 AM
IHAVETRIED Offline
Special Teams

(06-15-2016 02:05 AM)TodgeRodge Wrote:  
(06-14-2016 10:31 PM)IHAVETRIED Wrote:  I have 'religiously' followed this board for three years. But I have rarely started a thread.

I will start:

Relegated:

Wake Forest ranked in 2006
Vanderbilt ranked in 2012 and 2013
Iowa State
Washington State
Rutgers
Boston College last ranked in 2007
Oregon State last ranked in 2012
Texas Tech last ranked in 2009

Promoted

Connecticut
Cincinnati
Houston
Boise State
Memphis
Colorado State
East Carolina
San Diego State

wouldn't better candidates to drop down be Syracuse (last ranked in 2001), Pitt (ranked 3 times since 2000 and the last time in 2009), Miami (last ranked in 2009), NC State (ranked 2 times since 2000 last in 2010), Virginia (last ranked in 2004), UNC (ranked 1 time since 1997 in 2015)

somehow you are trying to drop down teams that have been ranked many more times in recent history and or have been ranked more recently when there is half of a conference filled with teams that suck that could be dropped down

then for some reason you want to elevate programs like those in red that have not been ranked since 1995 (ECU), since 2000 (CSU), 1977 (SDSU), evAR (UConn)

that makes no sense....then you talk about "all other sports", but most of the teams you have relegated like Vandy (very strong baseball), Texas Tech in the CWS this year and 2014 and the NCAAs this year, Oregon State two CWS titles, Iowa State NCAA tournament the last 5 years in a row and a sweet 16 this year and in 2014 have done more in the other sports than many of the teams you mentioned as well to be "elevated"

wouldn't it have just been easier to start a "hey I am new here" thread and then tell us all how you are related to David State?

it seems you do not have a great deal of knowledge about college sports in general especially as it relates to your "consider all sports" criteria nor do you have the ability to actually consider all sports because you seem to be focusing on elevating some teams based on performances in a single sport (while not even realizing their performance in that sport is not as good as some you want to relegate) and then even more so ignoring their performance in ALL THE OTHER SPORTS.....like how great CSU is in baseball much less football or how Memphis has had really one really good season in football in a few decades and they are not all that great at baseball either or how UH has been to the NCAAs 1 time since 1992 and they have been ranked 2 times in football since 1990 and the CWS 2 times with the last in 1967

you seem really focused on VERY recent singular seasons for some teams while ignoring the longer term strings of success that others have accomplished in many sports even if in any one of those particular sports they might be a bit down.....while at the same time still having that recent success in other sports

PS you left out Towson and Arkansas Tech, but your "relation" will probably be along soon to correct that
Thanks, Todge.

I appreciate the criticism. But I will not take the time to defend my apparent college sports ignorance, since that wasn't the topic of the thread.

In the OP, I qualified my suggested overarching guidance as follows:

" I suggest that there are zero rules of play, you say what you want for ANY reason you may have. Personal or your own Logic. Pedigree, Academics, Financial, Market, Performance, Affinity, Hatred, Love."

I do appreciate the apparent thought you put into your response.
This was intended to be a 'fun' exercise. It is a 'forced relegation/promotion' exercise.

Posters could use their own refined logic and/or rules, or simply use emotion. Or anywhere in between. I threw out a strawman to get things going. My suggestion about 'all sports' was intended as nothing more than as a reminder.

I know well what it is like to be a "G", and to be on the outside, and just 'amazed' at who some of the "P's" are.

The school I have supported with my time, fanaticism, and lots of money, for my long lifetime, was one of the last two to become a P5 member. I empathize with those who wish they could make it into the club.

FWIW, I think your particular insights on the B12 situation are incisive and largely correct and seem to be founded on pretty thorough understanding of the industry/market dynamic/forces (legal/market/contractual/supply-demand/competition).

Anyway, Thanks.
06-15-2016 08:27 AM
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(06-14-2016 10:31 PM)IHAVETRIED Wrote:  I propose we nominate 8 teams from the P5 that should be 'relegated', and 8 teams from the G5 that would be 'promoted'.

My choice: absolutely zero change. Conferences and schools should be free to associate themselves with whoever they want based on whatever criteria that they want without any type of forced promotion/relegation system. If the Big Ten would rather have Rutgers even if they go winless in both football and basketball because of academic and TV market reasons, then that's their choice and they shouldn't be forced to take any school that they don't want to associate with based on on-the-field/court reasons.
06-15-2016 09:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
IHAVETRIED Offline
Special Teams

I will start:

Relegated:

Wake Forest
Vanderbilt
Iowa State
Washington State
Rutgers
Boston College
Oregon State
Texas Tech

Promoted

Connecticut
Cincinnati
Houston
Boise State
Memphis
Colorado State
East Carolina
San Diego State

I will respond to my own OP with one Relegation and Promotion List, based on some sort of principled logic:

This one is based purely on who is in the P5 that had the NCAA-reported lowest average per game HOME FB Attendance in 2015, and who is in the G5 that had the highest Attendance:

RELEGATE:

1. Duke att: 26,427
2. Wake Forest att: 26,674
3. Kansas att: 27,282
4. Washington State att: 29,407
5. Boston College att: 30,205
6. Syracuse att: 32,102
7. Vanderbilt att: 32,134
8. Northwestern att: 33,366

PROMOTE:

1. Temple att: 44,159
2. Memphis att: 43,802
3. East Carolina att: 43,274
4. Cincinnati att: 37,096
5. Houston att: 33,980
6. Boise State att: 33,612
7. UCF att: 30,065
8. San Diego State att: 29,066
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2016 09:24 AM by IHAVETRIED.)
06-15-2016 09:23 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
Demoted:
Spitt
Syracuse
Louisville
Miami
Wake Up Forest
BC
Buttgers
Baylor
Texas Tech
Washington St
Oregoner St

Promoted:
ECU

Cheers!
06-15-2016 09:31 AM
IHAVETRIED Offline
Special Teams

(06-15-2016 09:01 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(06-14-2016 10:31 PM)IHAVETRIED Wrote:  I propose we nominate 8 teams from the P5 that should be 'relegated', and 8 teams from the G5 that would be 'promoted'.

My choice: absolutely zero change. Conferences and schools should be free to associate themselves with whoever they want based on whatever criteria that they want without any type of forced promotion/relegation system. If the Big Ten would rather have Rutgers even if they go winless in both football and basketball because of academic and TV market reasons, then that's their choice and they shouldn't be forced to take any school that they don't want to associate with based on on-the-field/court reasons.
Frank, I completely agree with your sentiment, in all its aspects. But my thesis is that it is a forced relegation/promotion. As we know, the discussion is hypothetical. It is a Delphi process that compels thinking.
06-15-2016 09:58 AM
IHAVETRIED Offline
Special Teams

(06-15-2016 09:31 AM)billybobby777 Wrote:  Demoted:
Spitt
Syracuse
Louisville
Miami
Wake Up Forest
BC
Buttgers
Baylor
Texas Tech
Washington St
Oregoner St

Promoted:
ECU

Cheers!

Hey, Billybobby777, I can see the emotion and hatred. That's good.
06-15-2016 10:00 AM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(06-15-2016 09:23 AM)IHAVETRIED Wrote:  

I will start:

Relegated:

Wake Forest
Vanderbilt
Iowa State
Washington State
Rutgers
Boston College
Oregon State
Texas Tech

Promoted

Connecticut
Cincinnati
Houston
Boise State
Memphis
Colorado State
East Carolina
San Diego State

I will respond to my own OP with one Relegation and Promotion List, based on some sort of principled logic:

This one is based purely on who is in the P5 that had the NCAA-reported lowest average per game HOME FB Attendance in 2015, and who is in the G5 that had the highest Attendance:

RELEGATE:

PROMOTE:

How is it logical to promote UCF and SDSU with lower attendance than anyone you are demoting?
06-15-2016 10:14 AM
IHAVETRIED Offline
Special Teams

(06-15-2016 10:14 AM)bullet Wrote:  

I will start:

Relegated:

Wake Forest
Vanderbilt
Iowa State
Washington State
Rutgers
Boston College
Oregon State
Texas Tech

Promoted

Connecticut
Cincinnati
Houston
Boise State
Memphis
Colorado State
East Carolina
San Diego State

RELEGATE:

PROMOTE:

How is it logical to promote UCF and SDSU with lower attendance than anyone you are demoting?

Well, of course, it is not logical to do that, on the attendance metric alone. There are at least 250 measures of merit.

Suggest another?
06-15-2016 10:22 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

Below are the bottom 8 in 4 year average attendance along with their 10 year average

School 4 year avg 10 year avg
Duke P5 26,988 25,578
Wake Forest P5 27,803 30,222
Washington State P5 31,326 29,957
Boston College P5 33,625 36,617
Vanderbilt P5 34,982 34,903
Kansas P5 35,143 42,358
Northwestern P5 36,746 32,224
Syracuse P5 37,259 37,439

Here are the top 11 non P-5 (includes Army, Navy and BYU who you chose to exclude)

San Diego State 31,394 30,326
Cincinnati 31,711 31,075
Memphis 32,640 28,747
Fresno State 32,936 34,145
Navy 33,031 35,697
Boise State 33,972 32,902
Army 34,022 33,013
South Florida 34,026 40,714
UCF 36,142 37,173
East Carolina 44,765 44,740
BYU 59,515 61,306

Under the attendance criteria, nobody but BYU, ECU, UCF and USF have any argument. And Duke, Wake Forest and Washington St. are the only ones who consistently lag among the P5.
06-15-2016 10:28 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

(06-15-2016 10:22 AM)IHAVETRIED Wrote:  

I will start:

Relegated:

Wake Forest
Vanderbilt
Iowa State
Washington State
Rutgers
Boston College
Oregon State
Texas Tech

Promoted

Connecticut
Cincinnati
Houston
Boise State
Memphis
Colorado State
East Carolina
San Diego State

RELEGATE:

PROMOTE:

Well, of course, it is not logical to do that, on the attendance metric alone. There are at least 250 measures of merit.

Suggest another?

Then why demote 8 when there is no rationale behind it?
06-15-2016 10:30 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

As for 4 of your arbitrary relegation group who weren't in the bottom 8 in attendance, 4 year averages:
Texas Tech 57,604 (30th overall-top half of P5)
Iowa St. 54,838 (36th overall-just below top half of P5)
Rutgers 48,523 (45th overall)
Oregon St. 41,161 (58th overall-behind only BYU & ECU of non-P5)
06-15-2016 10:35 AM
Advertisement

IHAVETRIED Offline
Special Teams

(06-15-2016 10:28 AM)bullet Wrote:  Below are the bottom 8 in 4 year average attendance along with their 10 year average

School 4 year avg 10 year avg
Duke P5 26,988 25,578
Wake Forest P5 27,803 30,222
Washington State P5 31,326 29,957
Boston College P5 33,625 36,617
Vanderbilt P5 34,982 34,903
Kansas P5 35,143 42,358
Northwestern P5 36,746 32,224
Syracuse P5 37,259 37,439

Here are the top 11 non P-5 (includes Army, Navy and BYU who you chose to exclude)

San Diego State 31,394 30,326
Cincinnati 31,711 31,075
Memphis 32,640 28,747
Fresno State 32,936 34,145
Navy 33,031 35,697
Boise State 33,972 32,902
Army 34,022 33,013
South Florida 34,026 40,714
UCF 36,142 37,173
East Carolina 44,765 44,740
BYU 59,515 61,306

Under the attendance criteria, nobody but BYU, ECU, UCF and USF have any argument. And Duke, Wake Forest and Washington St. are the only ones who consistently lag among the P5.

I basically agree with your attendance criteria conclusion. It is a smoothing (or time averaging) function you applied. Wonder what others think?
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2016 10:47 AM by IHAVETRIED.)
06-15-2016 10:35 AM
IHAVETRIED Offline
Special Teams

(06-15-2016 10:30 AM)bullet Wrote:  
(06-15-2016 10:22 AM)IHAVETRIED Wrote:  

I will start:

Relegated:

Wake Forest
Vanderbilt
Iowa State
Washington State
Rutgers
Boston College
Oregon State
Texas Tech

Promoted

Connecticut
Cincinnati
Houston
Boise State
Memphis
Colorado State
East Carolina
San Diego State

RELEGATE:

PROMOTE:

Suggest another?

Then why demote 8 when there is no rationale behind it?

The reason to demote 8 is to FORCE extremely cogent thinking and logic. It won't really happen, but the regimen requires rigorous logic. Simply stated, if teams were to be eliminated from the P5 based on their average Home game attendance (one of many many proxies for 'support'), then strictly the lowest attendance 8 teams would be demoted.
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2016 10:54 AM by IHAVETRIED.)
06-15-2016 10:39 AM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
RELEGATE:
Oregon St
Washington St
Colorado
Kansas
Rutgers
Purdue
Boston Coll
Wake Forest

PROMOTE:
New Mexico
BYU
Colorado St
Houston
Memphis
Cincinnati
UConn
ECU
06-15-2016 10:51 AM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
(06-15-2016 10:35 AM)bullet Wrote:  As for 4 of your arbitrary relegation group who weren't in the bottom 8 in attendance, 4 year averages:
Texas Tech 57,604 (30th overall-top half of P5)
Iowa St. 54,838 (36th overall-just below top half of P5)
Rutgers 48,523 (45th overall)
Oregon St. 41,161 (58th overall-behind only BYU & ECU of non-P5)

Hence why all 4 are safe. They may not be great, but they have people who are interested in them.
06-15-2016 10:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.