Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Texas pressure is holding up Big 12 expansion
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
Texas pressure is holding up Big 12 expansion
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2016 01:59 PM by domer1978.)
05-04-2016 01:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Mestophalies Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF
RE: Texas pressure is holding up Big 12 expansion
It's simple really.

1. Have the conference go to 16 teams, (Adding in my USF of course).

2. Fold the LHN into the Big 16 network and split the conference profits into 18 shares. Give Texas 3 shares and everyone else 1 share. problem solved.

04-cheers
05-04-2016 02:12 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
At the end of the day JMO Texas will get what they want...
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2016 02:30 PM by Maize.)
05-04-2016 02:15 PM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
well, the Big XII is completely unstable....what a mess

I imagine, it's either they expand, or Oklahoma tries to leave....

As for the network, no way does Texas sacrifice the LHN. If the rest of the conference gets forceful, they're going to end up making Texas leave. Basically, no one at the table can have it both ways...

I predict....BYU and Cincinnati are added before the summer is over, but Texas keeps the LHN

If the Big XII doesn't expand, I see Oklahoma trying to shop around...and if you're the SEC, why would you not take Oklahoma? who cares about #16 at this point, #15 Oklahoma would be a great catch.
05-04-2016 02:23 PM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

(05-04-2016 02:15 PM)Maize Wrote:  At the end of the day JMO Texas will get what they want..,

It's becoming clear that this doesn't suit Oklahoma....it's starting to turn into a pissing match between the two schools

If you're Oklahoma, and you don't get to expand and get a championship game, why would you stay? let alone have to continue to put up with the LHN?

I think Oklahoma is SEC #15 unless the Big XII expands
05-04-2016 02:27 PM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

(05-04-2016 02:12 PM)Mestophalies Wrote:  It's simple really.

1. Have the conference go to 16 teams, (Adding in my USF of course).

I would add South Florida....good addition!
05-04-2016 02:28 PM
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-04-2016 02:27 PM)EvilVodka Wrote:  
(05-04-2016 02:15 PM)Maize Wrote:  At the end of the day JMO Texas will get what they want...

It's becoming clear that this doesn't suit Oklahoma....it's starting to turn into a pissing match between the two schools

If you're Oklahoma, and you don't get to expand and get a championship game, why would you stay? let alone have to continue to put up with the LHN?

OU in the end as AD said in another thread will see IMO it is good being a BIG FISH in a small pond than being a Medium Fish in the SEC/B1G Ocean.
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2016 02:30 PM by Maize.)
05-04-2016 02:30 PM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
So who is SEC #16? Kansas? West Virginia? Try again to recruit a Tobacco Road defector and get into NC/VA?

Or the BSD move of all BSD moves...make a run at Maryland?
05-04-2016 02:38 PM
Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
Maryland? After the effort from Loh to get into the B1G? No chance.
05-04-2016 02:40 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
(05-04-2016 02:15 PM)Maize Wrote:  At the end of the day JMO Texas will get what they want...

Don't they always? Oklahoma and Kansas can throw a fit all they want but they know a move to another P5 conference is not as easy as people on this board think it is. The other 7 will just agree and sign what Texas wants and demands since it secures their spot in a P5 conference and get $$$$ in return.
05-04-2016 02:43 PM
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
the reality is Texas should stand firm

in spite of "popular" and highly uninformed opinions it is not the fault of Texas that the Big 12 is in this position now

it is an indisputable fact that Nebraska was always 100% in favor of independent networks and chancellor perlman of Nebraska has stated without a doubt that Nebraska was further along in starting an independent network than Texas was

it is also an undisputed fact that OU claims they were the first program to even THINK OF an independent network and that they were working on an independent network for WELL OVER 5 years before 2012 when they signed their "best of all possible worlds" sooner sports network deal

OU also clearly stated that when they were working on the best of all possible worlds sooner sports network they were doing it for one reason and one reason only and that was to do what was best for OU, OU fans and OU athletics they made that very clear and they made no mention of any concern with the Big 12 or the strength of the Big 12 or other programs in the Big 12

it is an undisputed fact that A&M was against a conference network and it is also undisputed that A&M declined to work with Texas on a network until well after Texas had done all the research and footed most of the bills and Texas was already in the process of getting the ESPN deal together

all of those complaining and blaming Texas have no one but themselves to blame because they were the ones that were in favor 100% of independent networks and they are the ones that claimed they were further along on developing one and or that they were the ones that first even thought of the idea and they were the ones that turned down chances to do something different

now that Texas is the one making it work for Texas why would they listen to those that were the ones making all the claims in the past and the ones that specifically stated they were doing what was best for their athletics, their fans and their university

the schools that are not happy now are the ones that are the most responsible for the position the Big 12 is in now and when their stupid knee jerk ideas fail they will be the ones the most unhappy in the future as well and they will still try and blame Texas
05-04-2016 02:45 PM
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-04-2016 02:43 PM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  

Don't they always? Oklahoma and Kansas can throw a fit all they want but they know a move to another P5 conference is not as easy as people on this board think it is. The other 7 will just agree and sign what Texas wants and demands since it secures their spot in a P5 conference and get $$$$ in return.

Exactly....OU "tried" to go to the Pac 12 remember...without Texas that was a No Go...
05-04-2016 02:46 PM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
Someone help me understand why the Longhorn Network and a Big 12 Network can't coexist.

The LHN's live sports programming includes may be ONE football game each season (like Rice @ Texas) and just a handful of OOC basketball games. The rest of the programming includes talking heads, "Longhorn Extra" and "Texas Greatest Athletes" type shows, some replays and some live Olympic sports events - baseball, softball, volleyball, etc.

Is that *REALLY* absolutely necessary content for the Big 12 Network? Wouldn't the B12N have rights to tier 3 games with Texas as the road team? And a bunch of other Tier 3 games for the other 11 conference members? Couldn't the B12N still have its own "Big 12 Extra" and "Big 12 Greatest Athletes" shows, that included Texas highlights and analysis? and Big 12 replays and Olympic sports, even including some with Texas?

OR, is it the fact that ESPN is already paying Texas the $15M per year such that ESPN would want nothing to do with supporting the Big 12 Network?

And even if so, couldn't the Big 12 team up with FOX for its network partner? OR, go the PAC route, but with someone like BYU who happens to have an extra TV license readily available and state-of-art facilities, staff, and connections to help get the network off the ground?

Thanks in advance.
05-04-2016 02:56 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(05-04-2016 02:27 PM)EvilVodka Wrote:  
(05-04-2016 02:15 PM)Maize Wrote:  At the end of the day JMO Texas will get what they want..,

OU and WVU are the only ones who have been talking. If Boren is in a pissing match, its between him and the wall.
05-04-2016 03:08 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(05-04-2016 02:56 PM)YNot Wrote:  Someone help me understand why the Longhorn Network and a Big 12 Network can't coexist.

The LHN's live sports programming includes may be ONE football game each season (like Rice @ Texas) and just a handful of OOC basketball games. The rest of the programming includes talking heads, "Longhorn Extra" and "Texas Greatest Athletes" type shows, some replays and some live Olympic sports events - baseball, softball, volleyball, etc.

Is that *REALLY* absolutely necessary content for the Big 12 Network? Wouldn't the B12N have rights to tier 3 games with Texas as the road team? And a bunch of other Tier 3 games for the other 11 conference members? Couldn't the B12N still have its own "Big 12 Extra" and "Big 12 Greatest Athletes" shows, that included Texas highlights and analysis? and Big 12 replays and Olympic sports, even including some with Texas?

OR, is it the fact that ESPN is already paying Texas the $15M per year such that ESPN would want nothing to do with supporting the Big 12 Network?

And even if so, couldn't the Big 12 team up with FOX for its network partner? OR, go the PAC route, but with someone like BYU who happens to have an extra TV license readily available and state-of-art facilities, staff, and connections to help get the network off the ground?

Thanks in advance.

I don't see why they couldn't. Either Boren wants them in and is just making up stuff or his consultants have said there is no way it sells in Texas without UT. Although some UT road contests could be on a Big 12 network, so they would still be "on."
05-04-2016 03:10 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
Dan Schwarzlander‏@dschwarzlander
@frankthetank111 @BlatantHomerism @kbohls UT isn't interested in exp if it changes their network in any way.

Frank the Tank ‏@frankthetank111 4h4 hours ago
Frank the Tank Retweeted Dan Schwarzlander

Agreed. Big 12 expansion might happen, but that doesn't mean that anything will change with the Longhorn Network.

Asking Texas to drop LHN for Big 12 Network is lost cause. Big 12 expansion $ will need to find other justification.
05-04-2016 03:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
How many Big 12 teams does Texas really want to play still?

Texas could jet for the ACC, keep their network, and only have to play 5 ACC schools a year. That would free up dates for them to play their old SWC and B12 rivals that have moved on to other conferences while keeping their other sports in one of the top Basketball/Baseball conferences.
05-04-2016 03:14 PM
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
(05-04-2016 02:56 PM)YNot Wrote:  Someone help me understand why the Longhorn Network and a Big 12 Network can't coexist.

Thanks in advance.

because Texas makes $15 million per year from it and has a branded channel and that makes david boren sad sad (not even happy sad or sad happy just sad sad) especially now that the "best of all possible worlds" sooner sports network from when OU was the first to even THINK OF an independent network and worked for WELL OVER FIVE YEARS to get in place before 2012 when they signed a 10 year deal that was the best for OU, OU fans and OU athletics and that paid $7 million dollars a year plus some increased licensing fees from their licensing partner is not actually now paying that much money or getting OU that much publicity
05-04-2016 03:16 PM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

(05-04-2016 03:12 PM)TerryD Wrote:  Dan Schwarzlander‏@dschwarzlander
@frankthetank111 @BlatantHomerism @kbohls UT isn't interested in exp if it changes their network in any way.

Agreed. Big 12 expansion might happen, but that doesn't mean that anything will change with the Longhorn Network.

Asking Texas to drop LHN for Big 12 Network is lost cause. Big 12 expansion $ will need to find other justification.

Oklahoma wants 3 things:
-conference championship game
-conference network
-conference expansion

They're not getting the network....but they could end up getting the other two. Will that be enough to placate Borens? OU and UT have to work with each other here, or you're going to have some pissed off people

If Oklahoma walks away from this empty handed, I really think they'll start looking elsewhere...
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
(05-04-2016 02:46 PM)Maize Wrote:  
(05-04-2016 02:43 PM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  

Exactly....OU "tried" to go to the Pac 12 remember...without Texas that was a No Go...

Jon Wilner has written that the Pac12 passing on the Oklahoma/Oklahoma St combo by themselves was short sighted. Perhaps the Pac12 would like to revisit the situation now with the increasing money gap.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.