Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Top college basketball programs by NBA players produced
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Top college basketball programs by NBA players produced
Top 25 schools with the most all-time NBA players. Of course, this is flawed because a guy who played 4 games in the NBA counts the same as a Kareem who played 1300. What we'd really need is a summary of games, or even minutes, played in the NBA, but still.

What I find noteworthy are (a) the obvious correlation between "NBA players" and "blue blood" status. The top 6 are basically the six "blue bloods" everyone agrees on. But also, (b) the dominance of the B1G and ACC, and the prominence of the new Big East. Seven of the 25 come from the B1G, seven from programs currently in the ACC, and four play in the new Big East. Nobody else has more than two.

This helps explain the respect the new Big East gets, it has a lot of pedigree on its roster. St Johns doesn't make any lists of programs that focus on titles won and Final 4s, but look at its NBA production. That's why STJ is a "brand" name. It also helps explain the respect the B1G gets despite no titles in 16 years. And, the ACC added a lot of NBA pedigree when it recently acquired Louisville, Syracuse, and Notre Dame.

1) Kentucky ........... 82
2) North Carolina. ... 81
3) UCLA ................ 80
4) Kansas .............. 62
5) Duke ................. 60
6) Indiana .............. 55
7) Notre Dame ........ 52
8) St John's ............ 50
9) Louisville ............ 49
10) Michigan ........... 43
11) Arizona.............. 42
11) Syracuse ........... 42
11) Ohio State ......... 42
14) Minnesota .......... 41
15) Illinois .............. 40
15) NC State ........... 40
17) Georgetown ....... 39
17) Villanova ........... 39
19) Michigan St ....... 38
19) Maryland........... 38
21) Georgia Tech ..... 37
22) Marquette ......... 36
23) Temple ............. 35
24) UConn .............. 34
24) LSU .................. 34

Source: Orlando Magic web site.
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2016 07:57 AM by quo vadis.)
04-10-2016 07:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

johnbragg Online
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
RE: Top college basketball programs by NBA players produced
Link? IS this all time, or current?
04-10-2016 07:50 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(04-10-2016 07:50 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  Link? IS this all time, or current?

All-time, as of 2014-2015 so minor adjustments for one year would have to be made.

http://www.nba.com/magic/news/schools-mo...ba-history
04-10-2016 07:56 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
At one time, St John's was considered a basketball blue blood. I suspect a lot of their players go back to the earlier days of the NBA when that was primarily a northeastern league. I'd also be curious to know how many of the Minnesota players date to when the Lakers still played in Minneapolis.
04-10-2016 08:06 AM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
No arguments here but not really a surprise in terms of the correlation between all-time NBA players and the blue blood programs. What would be interesting is how (if any) this trend has changed in recent years with more parody in college basketball and the rise of some mid-major programs.

Here is a link to the top colleges and the conferences producing NBA players currently playing in the NBA from last season:
http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/...s-top-list

[Image: screen_shot_2015-10-27_at_5.24.58_pm_cop...k=qw69cSKj]

[Image: conference.jpg?itok=LcSHZzLt]

Again, no surprise in terms of the top schools but interesting to see Arizona, Florida, Texas and Washington. In terms of conferences the ACC remains king but the B1G is much less prominent. It also shows how other non P5 conferences are contributing to the NBA.
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2016 08:23 AM by UCGrad1992.)
04-10-2016 08:12 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
A lot of people are unaware of ND's basketball pedigree, including all time wins (ranked 9th in the country after 2014-15) and number of players in the NBA (7th).

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/notre-dame/

They have also played in the NCAA Tournament 31 times, good for 9th all time, and reached the Final Four in 1978.

They are also the first Big East team to go undefeated at home two straight seasons

Jeff Sagarin and ESPN listed the program 12th in the college basketball all-time rankings in the ESPN College Basketball Encyclopedia.

Then, there is ND's history of upsets of #1 and/or unbeaten teams, topped by the ending of UCLA's 88 game win streak in 1974:

Upsets of #1's and unbeatens

Date Opponent Score Streak before ND loss

January 23, 1971 #1 UCLA** 89–82 19
January 19, 1974 #1 UCLA** 71–70 88
March 5, 1977 #1 San Francisco 93–82 29
February 26, 1978 #1 Marquette 65–59 5
February 27, 1980 #1 DePaul 76–74 (2OT) 26
December 27, 1980 #1 Kentucky*** 67–61 7
February 22, 1981 #1 Virginia 57–56 28
February 1, 1987 #1 North Carolina 60–58 16
February 8, 2005 #4 Boston College 68–65 20
January 21, 2012 #1 Syracuse 67–58 20
February 6, 2016 #1 North Carolina**** 80–76 0

Mike Brey is currently 331-164 (.669 winning %) at ND after 14 seasons.
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2016 08:21 AM by TerryD.)
04-10-2016 08:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
Minnesota is credited with 41 players. Another web site lists the 41 Minnesota players who played in either the NBA or the ABA. So the list in the OP may also include both, even though some may only have played in the ABA.

26 of those Minnesota players appeared in more than 100 games, so the rest probably were only there for one season. That ratio may be true for a lot of other teams as well. All of the Minnesota players whose careers started before 1965 played for the Lakers. In those days, the league had a territorial draft, in which the local team essentially had dibs on any good players coming out of local schools.
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2016 08:31 AM by ken d.)
04-10-2016 08:27 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(04-10-2016 08:19 AM)TerryD Wrote:  A lot of people are unaware of ND's basketball pedigree, including all time wins (ranked 9th in the country after 2014-15) and number of players in the NBA (7th).

I certainly was. Had no idea the Irish had produced so much talent.
04-10-2016 08:49 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(04-10-2016 08:12 AM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  No arguments here but not really a surprise in terms of the correlation between all-time NBA players and the blue blood programs. What would be interesting is how (if any) this trend has changed in recent years with more parody in college basketball and the rise of some mid-major programs.

Here is a link to the top colleges and the conferences producing NBA players currently playing in the NBA from last season:
http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/...s-top-list

[Image: screen_shot_2015-10-27_at_5.24.58_pm_cop...k=qw69cSKj]

[Image: conference.jpg?itok=LcSHZzLt]

Again, no surprise in terms of the top schools but interesting to see Arizona, Florida, Texas and Washington. In terms of conferences the ACC remains king but the B1G is much less prominent. It also shows how other non P5 conferences are contributing to the NBA.

Arizona, Florida and Texas are newbies, but have been serious players in college basketball over the last 20 years.
04-10-2016 09:47 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Kentucky has really been propelled by the one and dones. 29 of their 82 are currently playing. Traditionally, before Pitino, UK had more in the way of team than stars relative to UCLA and UNC.
04-10-2016 09:49 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(04-10-2016 09:49 AM)bullet Wrote:  Kentucky has really been propelled by the one and dones. 29 of their 82 are currently playing. Traditionally, before Pitino, UK had more in the way of team than stars relative to UCLA and UNC.

Watching what Devin Booker and Karl Anthony Towns this year...how in the world didn't the Wildcats NOT win the Title last year...say the same in 2010 when they had DeMarcus Cousins, John Wall and Eric Bledsoe...John Calipari...does less with more...03-phew
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2016 10:02 AM by Maize.)
04-10-2016 10:02 AM
Advertisement

MemphisRob Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Memphis came in at 25th.
04-10-2016 10:12 AM
johnbragg Online

(04-10-2016 10:02 AM)Maize Wrote:  
(04-10-2016 09:49 AM)bullet Wrote:  Kentucky has really been propelled by the one and dones. 29 of their 82 are currently playing. Traditionally, before Pitino, UK had more in the way of team than stars relative to UCLA and UNC.

Watching what Devin Booker and Karl Anthony Towns this year...how in the world didn't the Wildcats NOT win the Title last year...say the same in 2010 when they had DeMarcus Cousins, John Wall and Eric Bledsoe...John Calipari...does less with more...03-phew

Because it takes time and practice to gel into a team.

Calipari's focus is on recruiting one-and-dones, and part of that is preparing them for the pros. Winning games at UK is secondary to player development, because what his players do in their first few years in the NBA and where they get drafted is how he recruits his next batch of one-and-dones.

As long as Coach CAl can run Big Blue Nation NBA Prep Academy, he doesn't need to worry about maximizing his hardware count. With his talent level, the NCs and Final Fours take care of themselves.

Yes, if you look at his talent level and plot a graph, you might say that 4 Final Fours in 6 years and only one Final Four is underperforming, but that's probably a necessity in *getting* those talents. They're not going to stick around long enough to learn a role in a system and develop into a cohesive unit. That's not the program.
04-10-2016 10:13 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-10-2016 10:13 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  

Calipari's focus is on recruiting one-and-dones, and part of that is preparing them for the pros. Winning games at UK is secondary to player development, because what his players do in their first few years in the NBA and where they get drafted is how he recruits his next batch of one-and-dones.

As long as Coach CAl can run Big Blue Nation NBA Prep Academy, he doesn't need to worry about maximizing his hardware count. With his talent level, the NCs and Final Fours take care of themselves.

Yes, if you look at his talent level and plot a graph, you might say that 4 Final Fours in 6 years and only one Final Four is underperforming, but that's probably a necessity in *getting* those talents. They're not going to stick around long enough to learn a role in a system and develop into a cohesive unit. That's not the program.

What you're saying is correct...but I am getting the sense that BBN is getting restless...that three straight shot clock violations against Wisconsin in the 2015 Final Four still gets to them...they want more titles.
04-10-2016 10:16 AM
johnbragg Online

(04-10-2016 10:16 AM)Maize Wrote:  

What you're saying is correct...but I am getting the sense that BBN is getting restless...that three straight shot clock violations against Wisconsin in the 2015 Final Four still gets to them...they want more titles.

Well, BBN can develop a radical splinter faction which starts an insurgency in the remote provinces, but Cal's contract is A) fat and B) guaranteed, so his place is secure.
04-10-2016 10:54 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-10-2016 10:54 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(04-10-2016 10:16 AM)Maize Wrote:  

Well, BBN can develop a radical splinter faction which starts an insurgency in the remote provinces, but Cal's contract is A) fat and B) guaranteed, so his place is secure.

Well said...03-lmfao
04-10-2016 11:00 AM
Advertisement

dopeordogfood Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Louisville
Just stop the silliness and let guys go pro out of high school if they want. If you want to go to college, you need to earn a certain amount of credits before leaving. It's a sham with guys coming to school for a few months just for appearance. The NBDL is supposed to be for these guys who have no intention on completing a degree. The NCAA got greedy for missing out on the LeBrons and Kobe's of the world and allowed this stuff

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
04-10-2016 01:07 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-10-2016 01:07 PM)dopeordogfood Wrote:  Just stop the silliness and let guys go pro out of high school if they want. If you want to go to college, you need to earn a certain amount of credits before leaving. It's a sham with guys coming to school for a few months just for appearance. The NBDL is supposed to be for these guys who have no intention on completing a degree. The NCAA got greedy for missing out on the LeBrons and Kobe's of the world and allowed this stuff

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

Ben Simmons really made a sham out of it...completely agree...04-cheers
04-10-2016 01:11 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

WVU over Kentucky in the 2010 Regional Final has to be one of the great upsets ever. That 2010 Kentucky team should have been the champs. A failure of Guy Lewis 1983 proportions.
04-10-2016 01:42 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-10-2016 01:42 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

WVU over Kentucky in the 2010 Regional Final has to be one of the great upsets ever. That 2010 Kentucky team should have been the champs. A failure of Guy Lewis 1983 proportions.

That team had 5 NBA 1st Round draft picks in the 2010 NBA Draft...that was including 2012 Anthony Davis his most talented team.
04-10-2016 01:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.