Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

GS to play UL on ESPNU
Bookmark and Share
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
GS to play UL on ESPNU
Announcement Link

On one hand it gives us a third nationally televised game out of five or six games which could potentially be televised. On the other hand, it moves one of our Saturday home games and possibly our homecoming game to a Thursday meaning we're only playing three weekend home games all season. Thoughts?
03-30-2016 03:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

eaglewraith Online
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern
GS to play UL on ESPNU
Thanks App.
03-30-2016 03:30 PM
CajunFan3406 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UL
RE: GS to play UL on ESPNU
(03-30-2016 03:26 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  Announcement Link

On one hand it gives us a third nationally televised game out of five or six games which could potentially be televised. On the other hand, it moves one of our Saturday home games and possibly our homecoming game to a Thursday meaning we're only playing three weekend home games all season. Thoughts?

Both schools will be playing in that game coming off of 5 days rest, so at least its fair in that regard. You guys will be coming off of a road game @ Ole Piss and we will be coming off of a home game against Idaho.
03-30-2016 03:30 PM
GS99-00 Offline
2nd String

(03-30-2016 03:26 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  Announcement Link

I actually, saw this game really having a strong chance to being moved to Thursday night since before they announced the schedule.
03-30-2016 03:31 PM
TrueBlueAlum Offline
1st String

We also announced the recommendation for hire of Jaime Hebert (new GS president) minutes after this game was announced. Funny timing because he's a UL grad.
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2016 03:38 PM by TrueBlueAlum.)
03-30-2016 03:38 PM
CajunAmos Offline
All American

I Root For: Cajuns
I always thought it was an advantage to be playing a thursday game at home. When you're the road team, you typically have one less day of preparation due to travel. As the road team, that typically gives you one day off for the team (which I guess you could count for travel) and three days of practice.
03-30-2016 03:52 PM
Advertisement

tapate50 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Southern
I'm all for it as this sort of stuff is what we moved up for...

Attendence numbers may suffer a bit, but I'm good with it
03-30-2016 04:11 PM
AppinVA Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Appalachian St.
(03-30-2016 03:30 PM)eaglewraith Wrote:  Thanks App.

You're welcome?
03-30-2016 04:12 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Only three Saturday home games for us this season, and one of the best non-conference match ups the conference has won't be on TV. Stupid stupid stupid.
03-30-2016 04:15 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
(03-30-2016 04:15 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Only three Saturday home games for us this season, and one of the best non-conference match ups the conference has won't be on TV. Stupid stupid stupid.

Are you referring to GS @ WMU? I'm hoping that game will get at least a regional network
03-30-2016 04:20 PM
PirateJim Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU/Underdogs
(03-30-2016 04:15 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Only three Saturday home games for us this season, and one of the best non-conference match ups the conference has won't be on TV. Stupid stupid stupid.

yeah, that would suck. I typically take the day after the game off when it's on Thursday night. I couldn't take 3 days off. Plus I am unable to tailgate when the game is on Thursday.
03-30-2016 04:42 PM
Advertisement

EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

To summarize...

1. App State's chances of beating Miami just went down.

2. UL now goes on the road for a Thursday game with (we assume) a top conference opponent.

3. Georgia Southern's season ticket sales and attendance average just took a hit.

A win-win for the conference! I wonder since the game is at App if they had the power to move the game if ESPN wanted it.
03-30-2016 06:05 PM
Korr-upt Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Appalachian St.
(03-30-2016 06:05 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  To summarize...

2. UL now goes on the road for a Thursday game with (we assume) a top conference opponent.

3. Georgia Southern's season ticket sales and attendance average just took a hit.

A win-win for the conference! I wonder since the game is at App if they had the power to move the game if ESPN wanted it.

Would App State's chances of beating Miami have been better if we played them on Friday?
03-30-2016 06:45 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(03-30-2016 03:52 PM)CajunAmos Wrote:  I always thought it was an advantage to be playing a thursday game at home. When you're the road team, you typically have one less day of preparation due to travel. As the road team, that typically gives you one day off for the team (which I guess you could count for travel) and three days of practice.

For Thursday, yes. Tuesday games often can favor the road team though. You can't play the Saturday before, so each team has the same amount of rest, andsince the visiting team travels the day before, they don't have to worry about class, while players for the team hosting often are in class all morning.
03-30-2016 07:09 PM
moehler Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
(03-30-2016 06:45 PM)Korr-upt Wrote:  

Would App State's chances of beating Miami have been better if we played them on Friday?

to summarize,

1. both App and Miami wanted/demanded the game be played on Sat, taking in consideration GS being forced into playing a Thursday night game never was discussed ( though, got to admit, its an unexpected bonus)

2. your not going to get any support from App fans considering what we went thru with our schedule last year, its your turn for a ****** schedule, suck it up.
03-30-2016 07:49 PM
SBEagle Offline
1st String

Re: RE: GS to play UL on ESPNU
(03-30-2016 06:45 PM)Korr-upt Wrote:  

Yeah, I don't get that line of thinking. Either day, the game is still in Boone - advantage App.
03-30-2016 07:55 PM
Advertisement

Appyirish Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: App State
GS to play UL on ESPNU
I totaled my car in a deer collision returning home to Raleigh after an Appalachian Thursday night football game. Thursday's games sucks, especially two in one season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
03-30-2016 08:44 PM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

Same as our Sun Belt Championship season. Maybe a repeat performance is in order!
03-30-2016 08:51 PM
bigCasu_ Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Appalachian St
Miami's one extra day of prep will not equal 5k more in attendance for App.
03-30-2016 11:14 PM
eaglewraith Online
Heisman

I'd actually say their chances went up. With a premium opponent on a Saturday, their attendance should be through the roof. They'll definitely have a home field advantage. Miami can't put anyone in their stadium at home, they won't bring that many to Boone anyway.

Our attendance definitely will take a hit though. We'll have no Saturdays with a premium/quality opponent. The App game will be well attended, but that means the possible attendance for ULL will suffer as a lot of our fans will be forced to pick only one Thursday game to attend. Those fans will choose App over ULL.
03-31-2016 06:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.