Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Matt Brady fired
Bookmark and Share
Washingtonian Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: George Mason
Matt Brady fired
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN

James Madison has fired Matt Brady, the school announces.
03-14-2016 07:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMUrcc06 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU
RE: Matt Brady fired
I posted this on the other thread: http://jmusports.com/news/2016/3/9/jmu-o...earch.aspx
03-14-2016 07:04 AM
Madison 91 Forever Offline
1st String

I Root For: James Madison
Meh. That had better result in a major uptick in contributions to the convo, or we'll live to regret it.
03-14-2016 07:06 AM
Dukesfan71 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
Sorry to hear about this. Good luck to Coach Brady. I admire the man very much and appreciate the strides he made this year by being a top 100 program.
03-14-2016 07:17 AM
JMUrcc06 Offline
1st String

it's weird to me that the admin opted not to enlist the help of Carr... I feel like Carr has been there for BFS expansion, 2012 study that said "yes move up", withers, houston, etc.
03-14-2016 07:17 AM
JMU08 Offline
1st String

(03-14-2016 07:17 AM)JMUrcc06 Wrote:  it's weird to me that the admin opted not to enlist the help of Carr... I feel like Carr has been there for BFS expansion, 2012 study that said "yes move up", withers, houston, etc.

Yeah I found that interesting as well. Maybe Carr is more for football consulting and not as much on basketball?
03-14-2016 07:20 AM
Advertisement

Dukester Online

(03-14-2016 07:20 AM)JMU08 Wrote:  
(03-14-2016 07:17 AM)JMUrcc06 Wrote:  it's weird to me that the admin opted not to enlist the help of Carr... I feel like Carr has been there for BFS expansion, 2012 study that said "yes move up", withers, houston, etc.

Yeah I found that interesting as well. Maybe Carr is more for football consulting and not as much on basketball?

+2
03-14-2016 07:22 AM
bridgeforthduke Offline
All American

Paging lexduke...

Also interesting that Bourne said they hold coaches to a high standard on AND off the court. I've never seen that mentioned before when parting with a coach.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2016 07:31 AM by bridgeforthduke.)
03-14-2016 07:28 AM
Dukes94 Offline
All American

I'm glad for Matt's success at JMU. We had some nice seasons, including the last two, and a trip to the dance. But he was kind of a jerk. Didn't fit the JMU culture. Sometimes that matters more than performance on the court.

I wish Coach Brady all the best. I think he'd fit in great back up north.
03-14-2016 07:36 AM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

Matt Brady fired
Brady did a very good job considering the adversity he faced in this program and he will land on his feet somewhere. I will miss his work ethic, integrity, and willingness to talk straight on all topics.

If Bourne doesn't hire a superstar coach that instantly elevates recruiting and fundraising for the convo, then Bourne's neck will be on a noose.

The plate is set for instant success next year regardless of the coach. Returning 7 seniors and adding a proven college player in Snowden. Anything at all from the freshmen is icing on the cake. Somebody will be walking into a pretty sweet situation.

What is the bar for a new coach's salary?
$500,000 ?
$600,000 ?
$700,000 ?

The investment must match the enormity of the New Convo project.
03-14-2016 07:36 AM
nyduke Offline
1st String

I Root For: jmu
Well, im sad for Coach, but like I said before I get it and he ll land on his feet. As for JMU this is a critical hire, I would not be surprised to see new coach drop some players off current roster to balance classes and bring in own recruits.

I will remain loyal to JMU just weird that if we won a game or 2 in caa tourney we wouldnt be having this discussion. Also, not many coaches get fired off 21 win seasons.

Best of Luck Coach and Best of Luck JMU
03-14-2016 07:43 AM
Advertisement

Bawlmer Duke Offline
1st String

What do other CAA coaches make? Coen? Keatts? Shaver? etc
03-14-2016 07:45 AM
Dukes 92 Offline
Water Engineer

Eddie Fogler is the consultant for new coach. Has had some success with placements. Hope our folks listen to advice.
03-14-2016 07:46 AM
JMU08 Offline
1st String

Coen ~448k
Keatts base is 300k, but increases by 25k each year
Shaver 249k
Doug Wojcik 400k
Pat Skerry 300k

Matt Brady was 302k
03-14-2016 07:52 AM
UofRfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Richmond
Quote: What is the bar for a new coach's salary?
$500,000 ?
$600,000 ?
$700,000 ?

https://youtu.be/_Ip8gspFaH8?t=95
03-14-2016 08:03 AM
lexduke398 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: JMU,OSU
(03-14-2016 07:28 AM)bridgeforthduke Wrote:  Paging lexduke...

Also interesting that Bourne said they hold coaches to a high standard on AND off the court. I've never seen that mentioned before when parting with a coach.

It was all a personal dislike of Matt Brady by Charlie King and his pawn Jeff Bourne. Nothing to do with W and L's or CAA exits. Also what kind of AD says to a succesful coach you have to win the next game or I'm going to fire you??? A darn crappy one. Charlie Kings failed leadership at it again. I hope Matt does gets a good gig, but I do hope not int he CAA it will be embarrasing to have your fired coach kick the crap out of you left and right, when King and Bourne lay an Egg on the coaching hiring. At least they only have to buy out 20K gives them more money to pay Old Eddie Fogler... Real AD's also do their own searches... But hey.. hes saving a buyout.
03-14-2016 08:30 AM
Advertisement

2Buck Offline
All American

(03-14-2016 07:36 AM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  Brady did a very good job considering the adversity he faced in this program and he will land on his feet somewhere. I will miss his work ethic, integrity, and willingness to talk straight on all topics.

If Bourne doesn't hire a superstar coach that instantly elevates recruiting and fundraising for the convo, then Bourne's neck will be on a noose.

The plate is set for instant success next year regardless of the coach. Returning 7 seniors and adding a proven college player in Snowden. Anything at all from the freshmen is icing on the cake. Somebody will be walking into a pretty sweet situation.

What is the bar for a new coach's salary?
$500,000 ?
$600,000 ?
$700,000 ?

The investment must match the enormity of the New Convo project.

"Instant success next year"? I guess it depends on what your definition of instant success is. This team without Curry is hardly a guarantee of 15 wins let alone 20+. I agree there should be a good number of easy wins given our recent history of soft out of conference games but no player on this team has the proven consistency on the level of Curry. The flip side now seems some of y'all may be chomping at the bit to see JMU fail so you can say "told ya so".

Brady may very well have better success somewhere else and I certainly hope it happens for him. I just don't think him staying here was going to benefit him or us at the rate things were going. Hope this reinvigorates all concerned and reading about the admin's attitude has me very hopeful the pressures to perform in order to spark fundraising has finally pulled their heads out of their butts. Go Dukes!
03-14-2016 08:37 AM
2Buck Offline
All American

(03-14-2016 08:30 AM)lexduke398 Wrote:  

It was all a personal dislike of Matt Brady by Charlie King and his pawn Jeff Bourne. Nothing to do with W and L's or CAA exits. Also what kind of AD says to a succesful coach you have to win the next game or I'm going to fire you??? A darn crappy one. Charlie Kings failed leadership at it again. I hope Matt does gets a good gig, but I do hope not int he CAA it will be embarrasing to have your fired coach kick the crap out of you left and right, when King and Bourne lay an Egg on the coaching hiring. At least they only have to buy out 20K gives them more money to pay Old Eddie Fogler... Real AD's also do their own searches... But hey.. hes saving a buyout.

No way in he11 do we want our athletic department making any coaching hires on their own, let alone men's basketball.
03-14-2016 08:39 AM
jmudukes001 Offline
Special Teams

Good luck to Matt, but the admin finally made the right decision. As others have said, this may be a win-win for both.

I agree with the decision.
03-14-2016 08:49 AM
lexduke398 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: JMU,OSU
(03-14-2016 08:39 AM)2Buck Wrote:  
(03-14-2016 08:30 AM)lexduke398 Wrote:  

No way in he11 do we want our athletic department making any coaching hires on their own, let alone men's basketball.

That is is because most decent DIII schools run a better show and have a better Athletic department then we do.. May be we can get Mike Gillian, he is on par and almost did a good Job at Longwood... He was fired tho... Only one first round exit in his 9 years there... Also Ron Bradley may still be intersted.... I don't know he probably makes more. James Johnson didn't do so well at Tech but deserves a second chance. Hell why not just give Fogler the job.... Hopefully we would avoid probation I am sure he dosn't play those games anymore....
03-14-2016 08:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.