WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AP: New WCHA "bleeding money"
Charm City Bronco Offline
Fights for Justice

I Root For: WMU
AP: New WCHA "bleeding money"
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/06817e4b7...ice-so-far

Sounds like the new WCHA won't be around for long. Travel expenses are up 40 percent (would love to know the details behind that) and, overall, conference payouts are bare bones compared to when Minn, No Dak, Wisky was in the league.

AP writer floats the idea of a "new" CCHA, but how would this work? Would Tech join? You cannot have both Alaska schools in the same league and it is nuts the new WCHA doesn't have a travel rule where you only make one trip to Alaska, even if you have to play at both schools. And what happens to UAH?
03-12-2016 08:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

brovol Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/ARMY
RE: AP: New WCHA "bleeding money"
It sounds to me that WMU and Miami may be considering ditching the nchc. I, of course, like the idea of a new league too. I bet we are bleeding money more than the wcha schools. And at least the wcha has a plan to lower travel costs with two divisions.

I agree with charm that Alaska trips are out of line with any practical budget plan. Alaska should be independent.

The big ten screwed things up, so it is even easier to root against them.

Good article.
03-13-2016 06:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Charm City Bronco Offline
Fights for Justice

Neither of the Alaska schools can be independent and they can't both be in the same league. College hockey as a sport used to give a crap about this kind of stuff, but ever since the Big 14 screwed everyone else, nobody cares anymore.
03-13-2016 07:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

brovol Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/ARMY
Alaska would be expensive for any league. The east coast conferences have a distinct financial advantage, in that they are closer geographically to each other, and travel is far less of a burden. But make no mistake, the NCHC is far from easy on WMU when it comes to travel costs; and probably worse than the WCHA. I would like to know the numbers on that.

The article suggests that both Miami and WMU are considering their options; and one such option is likely a move to the WCHA.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2016 01:38 PM by brovol.)
03-14-2016 11:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Brown and Gold Offline
1st String

I heard Alaskan schools might be cutting funding for athletics due to budget issues. Wouldn't surprise me though. From an academic and athletic standpoint, spending half of your season in the continental US is just awful
03-17-2016 09:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.