Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CUSA Men's Tournament
paintedblue2 Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU
CUSA Men's Tournament
Here is the tournament bracket.

[Image: 2jw4k68v.png]

To me ODU has a good chance if they can keep scoring at the pace they have been lately. Not being able to score against the zone has been the Monarchs Achilles heel, but the three point shots are beginning to fall.

ODU plays strong man-to-man defense, but rarely employs a zone. Do they have a couple of defensive looks they might break out during the tournament? Aside from being a great rebounding team, ODU is also in the top five of fewest turnovers surrendered.

Like some others I think ODU has a pretty good path, but of course they likely will have to take out defending champion UAB (go Hilltoppers.) It should be fun.

GO MONARCHS!
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2016 07:15 PM by paintedblue2.)
03-06-2016 01:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: CUSA Men's Tournament Bracket
I think this is probably the worst draw we could have received.

We get a team that gets to play a warm up game in Birmingham in the first round, an extremely talented LA Tech team in the next round, then most likely UAB at UAB and then the championship game.

Extremely tough draw.
03-06-2016 02:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Old Blue Offline
1st String

(03-06-2016 02:05 AM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  I think this is probably the worst draw we could have received.

We get a team that gets to play a warm up game in Birmingham in the first round, an extremely talented LA Tech team in the next round, then most likely UAB at UAB and then the championship game.

Extremely tough draw.

I'd rather play the extremely talented LA Tech than MTSU. They seem to have our number in almost every sport. I'm actually more worried about playing a team with a warm up game under their belt.
03-06-2016 02:15 AM
Fatalisk Offline
All American

Season couldn't have gone any worse to this point. Let's see what they're really made of now.
03-06-2016 02:26 AM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-06-2016 02:05 AM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  I think this is probably the worst draw we could have received.

Extremely tough draw.

On the other hand, Louisiana Tech is the only semifinal opponent that ODU beat this season. And FAU/UTSA aren't good enough that they'll win because of a warmup game.
03-06-2016 05:23 AM
NC Monarch Offline
2nd String

(03-06-2016 05:23 AM)Cyniclone Wrote:  

Extremely tough draw.

On the other hand, Louisiana Tech is the only semifinal opponent that ODU beat this season. And FAU/UTSA aren't good enough that they'll win because of a warmup game.

As I've said before, I don't care one whit about our "draw". If we are looking to avoid a certain team, that means we don't think we can beat them. We are either good enough to win the tourney or not, doesn't matter who or when we play.
03-06-2016 09:12 AM
Advertisement

Blue_Trombone Offline
Heisman

Are the times in that bracket CT?
03-06-2016 09:47 AM
Tbac3 Offline
Special Teams

(03-06-2016 02:26 AM)Fatalisk Wrote:  Season couldn't have gone any worse to this point. Let's see what they're really made of now.

You have got to be kidding. This season could have been derailed many times with the adversity (players leaving, players being dismissed, the Stith injury, limited depth, etc) that they have faced. We were extremely close to being the 2nd place team in the league, which we were projected to be. I am disappointed that our season, which held so much promise, has not gone according to plan but to say that is just not true. Rhode Island was picked to finish 2nd in the A-10 and you almost can't find them in the standings(7th place, 5 games out of 1st). Do you think Syracuse and Pitt ever thought they would be tied for 9th? There are a lot worse situations than ours. I honestly believe this team is not as far away from the top of C-USA as some may think.
03-06-2016 09:47 AM
Tbac3 Offline
Special Teams

(03-06-2016 09:47 AM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  Are the times in that bracket CT?

yes
03-06-2016 09:49 AM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

(03-06-2016 09:12 AM)NC Monarch Wrote:  
(03-06-2016 05:23 AM)Cyniclone Wrote:  

Extremely tough draw.

As I've said before, I don't care one whit about our "draw". If we are looking to avoid a certain team, that means we don't think we can beat them. We are either good enough to win the tourney or not, doesn't matter who or when we play.

THIS. It's called competition, not politics. Never been a fan of finding the "easiest route"
03-06-2016 10:05 AM
TheDancinMonarch Offline
All American

(03-06-2016 09:47 AM)Tbac3 Wrote:  
(03-06-2016 02:26 AM)Fatalisk Wrote:  Season couldn't have gone any worse to this point. Let's see what they're really made of now.

You have got to be kidding. This season could have been derailed many times with the adversity (players leaving, players being dismissed, the Stith injury, limited depth, etc) that they have faced. We were extremely close to being the 2nd place team in the league, which we were projected to be. I am disappointed that our season, which held so much promise, has not gone according to plan but to say that is just not true. Rhode Island was picked to finish 2nd in the A-10 and you almost can't find them in the standings(7th place, 5 games out of 1st). Do you think Syracuse and Pitt ever thought they would be tied for 9th? There are a lot worse situations than ours. I honestly believe this team is not as far away from the top of C-USA as some may think.

This! Not the season I wildly projected long before it started but all things taken in consideration I think it ended pretty well. Maybe 3 seconds too long with the La Tech 3 point winner or the Marshall tip-in but ....
03-06-2016 10:19 AM
Advertisement

ODUR8R Offline
All American

We are on the tougher side of the bracket for sure.

But WKU could upset UAB which could set up a semifinals of both teams with three games in three days.

On the other side I think one of the lower seeded teams like Charlotte or UTEP makes it out and we would smother them in a four game/four day type of scenario.

Let's pull for WKU for a couple of games.
03-06-2016 10:43 AM
AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

My wild-ass-guesses:

First Round:
FAU over UTSA

Second Round:
WKU over UNT
ODU over FAU
Charlotte over Rice
FIU over UTEP

Quarterfinals:
UAB over WKU
ODU over La. Tech
Charlotte over Empty Sue
FIU over Marshall

Semifinals:
ODU over UAB
Charlotte over FIU

Finals:
ODU goes dancing!
03-06-2016 10:51 AM
Monarch Homselr Offline
1st String

We had planned to go to Birmingham. Airline and hotel booked and paid for. My back started to get worse so we canceled everything. I am so glad we did. Not because I'm down on the team but because of this schedule. Not because of who we play but WHEN we play.

ODU' first two women's games start one hour before the men's so no way we could have gone to both. When we went to the tourney last year the Mid Tenn and WKU folks at our hotel were in the same situation. I'm beginning to hate being in the C-USA. It is ridiculous that this can occur. Just switching the noon (CT) and 2:30 (CT) games would fix the problem. Another pet peeve is being in a conference where half the regular season games you have to convert the start times due to being in the Central and mountain time zone. I know there is no where else for us to go but I sure wish there was an alternative.

Any way....GO Monarchs!
03-06-2016 10:51 AM
Fatalisk Offline
All American

5th is just as good as 12th, so yes, I'm correct. 07-coffee3

In terms of realistic possibilities, we hit the floor. I guess our team bus could have caught on fire during a road trip. That's not really worth talking about though, is it?
03-06-2016 11:12 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I like having a game under belt before LT. We should have good shot vs them. Any of top 5 teams could win this
03-06-2016 11:17 AM
Advertisement

757ODU Offline
All American

(03-06-2016 11:17 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  I like having a game under belt before LT. We should have good shot vs them. Any of top 5 teams could win this

I agree with this. I think this thing is wide open and shockingly I think the team that is playing their worst basketball of the year, is Marshall. DEFENSE plays in March!!!!
03-06-2016 11:25 AM
TedHead Offline
1st String

The Quarterfinal matchups are tough. I can see any seed 1-4 falling out.
03-06-2016 11:28 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-06-2016 11:25 AM)757ODU Wrote:  
(03-06-2016 11:17 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  I like having a game under belt before LT. We should have good shot vs them. Any of top 5 teams could win this

I agree with this. I think this thing is wide open and shockingly I think the team that is playing their worst basketball of the year, is Marshall. DEFENSE plays in March!!!!

Ysah, its tough to hit shots for 3 consecutive days. The teams that cant defend tend to fall off.
03-06-2016 11:30 AM
Blue_Trombone Offline
Heisman

(03-06-2016 11:12 AM)Fatalisk Wrote:  

5th is just as good as 12th, so yes, I'm correct. 07-coffee3

In terms of realistic possibilities, we hit the floor. I guess our team bus could have caught on fire during a road trip. That's not really worth talking about though, is it?

We won more than 5 games. So I don't think we've hit rock bottom yet.
03-06-2016 11:40 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.