Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Maryland Coaching Vacancy - JMU Everett Withers
Bookmark and Share
JMUAlum Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: James Madison
Maryland Coaching Vacancy - JMU Everett Withers
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2015 07:34 AM by JMUAlum.)
10-12-2015 07:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DUKES DUKES DUKES Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: JMU
RE: Maryland Coaching Vacancy - Everett Withers
(10-12-2015 07:15 AM)JMUAlum Wrote:  Success brings recognition

http://www.foxsports.com/college-footbal...ure-101115

another reason we need to move up NOW
10-12-2015 07:22 AM
JMUAlum Offline
Water Engineer

RE: Maryland Coaching Vacancy - JMU Everett Withers
(10-12-2015 07:22 AM)DUKES DUKES DUKES Wrote:  

Agree.
10-12-2015 07:35 AM
JMUDuke25 Offline
All American

I got a friend that's a MD booster and he swears they are getting Chip Kelly. LOL
10-12-2015 07:39 AM
Dukes84 Offline
All American

That's going to be tough gig to succeed in as reported with Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State and Penn State in the same division.
10-12-2015 11:29 AM
Hotrod829 Offline
All American

To keep one coach who probably wants to be back at a P5 school ? We have lost many assistants to P5 schools , and even if we do move up , there are a ton of mid major FBS schools who have issues keeping coaches. moving up will not help us retain coaches , but the salary bump will make us more attractive.
10-12-2015 11:51 AM
Advertisement

madizoned-level2004 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU and Rutgers
I wouldn't mind seeing EW come to Rutgers when/if Kyle Flood is sent packing.

Some nostalgic Rutgers fans want Schiano back (LOL). Others think Matt Rhule is our guy (I think he could get better offers than what RU could muster).

EW is getting noticed, for sure.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2015 11:55 AM by madizoned-level2004.)
10-12-2015 11:54 AM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

I think the Maryland boosters will be looking for more of a name. I personally feel like that's a stupid approach to hiring someone but in some cases the ADs hand is forced. I agree that moving up will not prevent coaches in any of the top sports from getting poached from a Big 10 school. I also agree that it's very tough to win at Maryland. Not impossible, but as was said they're in there with traditional powerhouses. I'm not sure I'd even want that job. You'll make enough money to retire but it's likely to be a career killer. I hope Withers is the type to want to build his own thing. There are a lot of coaches who make that move and it crushed them. EW going to MD could be a lot like when Dan Hawkins went from Boise to Colorado. Look how that went for him.
10-12-2015 12:55 PM
DBJMU2006 Offline
1st String

I think that Plank/Under Armour is going to have a huge say in this. They went cheap with Edsall but aren't going that route again.
10-12-2015 01:01 PM
UofRfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Richmond
EW is going to have a great year. The CAA is down and you guys are good enough to take advantage. I hesitate to say you all are truly a top 5 team because the schedule has been horrible outside of SMU. But it doesn't matter, you all are good enough to handle business with this schedule which will mean you finish in the Top 5 of the regular season most likely. Going 10-1 and winning a couple home playoff games at least will put EW in a good position to cash in on the success. If JMU isn't going FBS anytime soon, there is no better time to sell high for EW with VL running out of eligibility this year. If JMU wants to keep him I would be looking to extend/give him an aggressive raise like you all did the Sherminator. That won't stop him from taking a BCS conference job but will at least keep him instead of exploring a group of 5 job.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2015 01:32 PM by UofRfan.)
10-12-2015 01:31 PM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

Are the same idiots in charge of MD that fired Friedgen in Dec 2010? MD went 9-4 in 2010 when Fridge was named ACC coach of the year. After 10 seasons at MD 2001-2010 he was 75-50, 5-1 in bowl games, including a BCS Orange Bowl appearance, ran a relatively clean program. MD then fires the Fridge to hire Edsall, a coach who had record at Univ of CT of 74-70, and ended up going 22-33 at MD. Idiots.
10-12-2015 01:55 PM
Advertisement

Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-12-2015 01:31 PM)UofRfan Wrote:  EW is going to have a great year. The CAA is down and you guys are good enough to take advantage. I hesitate to say you all are truly a top 5 team because the schedule has been horrible outside of SMU. But it doesn't matter, you all are good enough to handle business with this schedule which will mean you finish in the Top 5 of the regular season most likely. Going 10-1 and winning a couple home playoff games at least will put EW in a good position to cash in on the success. If JMU isn't going FBS anytime soon, there is no better time to sell high for EW with VL running out of eligibility this year. If JMU wants to keep him I would be looking to extend/give him an aggressive raise like you all did the Sherminator. That won't stop him from taking a BCS conference job but will at least keep him instead of exploring a group of 5 job.

10-1? Hardy har har...very funny. What was the score last year between RU and JMU? It may actually be worse this year...for Richmond.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2015 01:57 PM by Longhorn.)
10-12-2015 01:57 PM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(10-12-2015 07:35 AM)JMUAlum Wrote:  

Agree.

No its not. The guy threw out like 10 names. JMU needs to move up, but its not because Withers has any chance to get a P5 HC offer for 2016 from MD or anyone else.
10-12-2015 01:58 PM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

http://csnbbs.com/thread-752684.html
10-12-2015 02:22 PM
JMU_Rocks! Offline
Special Teams

You don't see Bobby Wilder mentioned on a list like this anymore. From a purely selfish perspective for Withers he is more likely able to jump with a great record from FCS than a likely sub-500 record in a CUSA, MAC, SB conference after a transition.

Also, for Withers if he can maintain a high level of success when a guy like Vad leaves, it will go a long way to making him a viable upward option. It seems like he sized up the opportunity well and he can 1) build a very strong FCS program, 2) lead the program through a transition, or 3) jump into a FBS slot.

Going to UVA or Maryland for instance are really difficult jumps for a FCS coach. More likely would be for him to get a shot to move into an FBS school that is doing well enough to have their coach poached (e.g., some of the other HC on the list of 10). I am hoping Withers is intrigued with the challenge of a transition and if he has some deep playoff runs or an NC on his resume, he likely has the alumni backing to make it through the 3 to 5 year transition process.
10-12-2015 02:38 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

Coach Withers (god bless him) has about as much chance of taking the Maryland job as "The Donald" has of winning the Presidency. ;-)
10-12-2015 02:49 PM
Advertisement

DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

(10-12-2015 02:38 PM)JMU_Rocks! Wrote:  You don't see Bobby Wilder mentioned on a list like this anymore. From a purely selfish perspective for Withers he is more likely able to jump with a great record from FCS than a likely sub-500 record in a CUSA, MAC, SB conference after a transition.

Also, for Withers if he can maintain a high level of success when a guy like Vad leaves, it will go a long way to making him a viable upward option. It seems like he sized up the opportunity well and he can 1) build a very strong FCS program, 2) lead the program through a transition, or 3) jump into a FBS slot.

Going to UVA or Maryland for instance are really difficult jumps for a FCS coach. More likely would be for him to get a shot to move into an FBS school that is doing well enough to have their coach poached (e.g., some of the other HC on the list of 10). I am hoping Withers is intrigued with the challenge of a transition and if he has some deep playoff runs or an NC on his resume, he likely has the alumni backing to make it through the 3 to 5 year transition process.

This is actually a very good point regarding Vad. If an administration is sitting around evaluating candidates and EW's name comes up, I can certainly see someone saying "But he had Vad Lee". And, while I have confidence in EW going forward, it's not a completely absurd point to make. If you look at his track record before coming here it's honestly not all that great so I can see people wanting to see what he can do in the post Vad era before offering him a BCS position. It won't happen at MD. The boosters will be like "The guy whose team we blew the doors off last year? Hell no". We all know that's not fair but that's kind of how things go.
10-12-2015 02:58 PM
UofRfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Richmond
I came up with 10-1 just speculating you lose a game along the way. The game you will most likely lose is at WM, but at this point you'll be double digit favorites in all games but that one (but still favored at WM by single digits). Running the table is totally possible, just speculating variance catches you for at least 1 game along the way. 11-0 just makes EW even more attractive.
10-12-2015 03:22 PM
TribePride91 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M Tribe
(10-12-2015 03:22 PM)UofRfan Wrote:  I came up with 10-1 just speculating you lose a game along the way. The game you will most likely lose is at WM, but at this point you'll be double digit favorites in all games but that one (but still favored at WM by single digits). Running the table is totally possible, just speculating variance catches you for at least 1 game along the way. 11-0 just makes EW even more attractive.

If the Dukes go 11-0, I think they will be the #1 or #2 seed in the playoffs. Not willing to even think about the game on Halloween yet. After all, we lost to Delaware. We likely will have our hands full with New Hampshire this weekend. Will be curious as to just how many points JMU scores in the next 2 weeks. Over/under 110?

As for Vad Lee, if JMU goes 10-1 or 11-0, he is the winner of the Payton award. No question about it. He might win it anyway at this point.
10-12-2015 03:57 PM
bulldogg Offline
1st String

(10-12-2015 02:49 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  Coach Withers (god bless him) has about as much chance of taking the Maryland job as "The Donald" has of winning the Presidency. ;-)

There you go again, turning a sports message board into an opportunity to bash conservatives. Good job, Horny!03-puke
10-12-2015 04:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.