Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Are P5's going to 16?
Once a Knight... Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF Knights
Are P5's going to 16?
Do you think the P5's plan is to go to 16 teams each? If they want to break off, wouldn't it make sense to have a P4 of 16 teams each, for 4 even-sized conferences? Have an 8 team playoff. (4 conf winners plus 4 at-large).
08-31-2015 08:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
RE: Are P5's going to 16?
No.
08-31-2015 09:06 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-31-2015 08:58 AM)Once a Knight... Wrote:  Do you think the P5's plan is to go to 16 teams each? If they want to break off, wouldn't it make sense to have a P4 of 16 teams each, for 4 even-sized conferences? Have an 8 team playoff. (4 conf winners plus 4 at-large).

Sorry, Charlie. You don't get to be Starkist.
08-31-2015 09:12 AM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
There is no "plan"

Now if an irrefutable opportunity presented itself, like the SEC getting a pair of NC/VA schools from the ACC or ND decides to join the ACC full time or @Austin wants to join the PAC etc THEN movement might happen but there will be no big secret backroom deal "plan" to make it happen all once
08-31-2015 09:25 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
No.
08-31-2015 09:26 AM
Once a Knight... Offline
Special Teams

I'm by no means advocating for this, but, the P5 is at 64 teams right now. 65 if you count ND. If the B12 was dissolved into the other 4 confs, one B12 team wouldn't make the cut, and there you have it, 64 team P4.
08-31-2015 09:52 AM
Advertisement

SMUmustangs Offline
All American

I Root For:
(08-31-2015 08:58 AM)Once a Knight... Wrote:  Do you think the P5's plan is to go to 16 teams each? If they want to break off, wouldn't it make sense to have a P4 of 16 teams each, for 4 even-sized conferences? Have an 8 team playoff. (4 conf winners plus 4 at-large).

If you had 4 sixteen team conferences, there would be absolutely no need for an 8 team playoff.
08-31-2015 09:58 AM
Once a Knight... Offline
Special Teams

(08-31-2015 09:58 AM)SMUmustangs Wrote:  

If you had 4 sixteen team conferences, there would be absolutely no need for an 8 team playoff.

No I guess not, could just do the 4 conf champions.
08-31-2015 10:05 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

Why the burning need for symmetry? Is it just so we can craft a system for post season play that creates the illusion of an equitable way to crown somebody "champion"? Is that the purpose of college athletics?
08-31-2015 10:12 AM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
[Image: Grumpy-Cat-NO-1.jpg]
08-31-2015 10:14 AM
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
No, how does it benefit the SEC,B10?
08-31-2015 10:15 AM
Advertisement

5thTiger Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Missouri

I think that is the next move in realignment. But I'm not sure that is the end game.
08-31-2015 10:17 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
No.
08-31-2015 10:17 AM
Once a Knight... Offline
Special Teams

Equally as symetrical would be 128 teams in 8 (16 team) conferences. 8 team playoff. Do away with the P5/G5 moniker. I think that would solve most issues right now. Every conf champion is in the playoff. If you wanted to expand to 10, 12, or 16 team playoff I guess that would be doable.

In an ideal world these conference could be arranged geographically effectively doing away with the current conferences, though I know that will never happen, but 8 geographically based conferences mergering current P5 and G5 membership would definitely be exciting, and make for packed stadiums everywhere (easy travel).

Florida/Georgia/SC Division
Southeast
Mid Atlantic/Northeast
South Central
North Central
Texas
Southwest
Northwest

I think those would be likely geographic regions. Obviously that will never happen but fun to think about. More realistically though 8 current confs go to 16, and 2 confs collapse/merge.

Big Ten
SEC
ACC
Big 12/16
Pac 16
AAC
MWC
C-USA (MAC and Sunbelt are dissolved into AAC/C-USA)
08-31-2015 10:30 AM
pablowow Offline
1st String

I Root For: TULANE/AAC

P5's will be 16 and absorb American and be 80 teams..(my opinion) how it will look is only driven by the conference that gets eaten. My guess (big 12) it will picked apart. American will gain 6 or so and lose a couple to the big 4. the voting structure is already done for P5. They will honor the last group of 16. and I think it retain the name American.

I do think once the old power conferences get their schools they want to be aligned with long term(AAU, geography, size, etc) American will be stable and will grow from there. Just like ACC did the last 20 years. This is similar to how things went in the early eighties when FBS left a bunch of teams behind.
08-31-2015 11:06 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(08-31-2015 11:06 AM)pablowow Wrote:  

P5's will be 16 and absorb American and be 80 teams..(my opinion) how it will look is only driven by the conference that gets eaten. My guess (big 12) it will picked apart. American will gain 6 or so and lose a couple to the big 4. the voting structure is already done for P5. They will honor the last group of 16. and I think it retain the name American.

I do think once the old power conferences get their schools they want to be aligned with long term(AAU, geography, size, etc) American will be stable and will grow from there. Just like ACC did the last 20 years. This is similar to how things went in the early eighties when FBS left a bunch of teams behind.

The legislation in 1981 to knock teams out of I-A was driven by the NCAA leadership in a desperate attempt to boost how much money the NCAA sent to power teams from the TV contract (reducing sharing) in order to try to convince the power group to end the legal challenges to the NCAA TV contract.

The move failed to produce the desired result.

The power schools have never pushed an agenda to reduce the size of I-A/FBS and the biggest change (autonomy) was not a reaction to problems from the G5 but rather the FCS and non-football schools.

There simply is no evidence of the P5 having any need or desire to trim out the G5 schools.
08-31-2015 11:21 AM
Advertisement

pablowow Offline
1st String

I Root For: TULANE/AAC
(08-31-2015 11:21 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  

The legislation in 1981 to knock teams out of I-A was driven by the NCAA leadership in a desperate attempt to boost how much money the NCAA sent to power teams from the TV contract (reducing sharing) in order to try to convince the power group to end the legal challenges to the NCAA TV contract.

The power schools have never pushed an agenda to reduce the size of I-A/FBS and the biggest change (autonomy) was not a reaction to problems from the G5 but rather the FCS and non-football schools.

There simply is no evidence of the P5 having any need or desire to trim out the G5 schools.

I agree. G5 just needs access to the playoff and it will be no problem. I don't like G5 and P5 obviously. I wish it was 8 conferences and eight bids.
08-31-2015 11:30 AM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
I'd prefer to see a new Division 4 consisting of expanded versions of the PAC, SEC, B1G, ACC, and AAC - about 80 teams or so in 5 conferences. The CFP consists of the 5 conference champs and 3 wild cards/at large.

Then, the FBS consists of those left from the MWC, C-USA, MAC, and Sun Belt and some FCS call-ups like NDSU, Montana, Coastal Carolina, Missouri St., etc. 60 teams or so in 4 or 5 conferences. Have an 8-team FBS playoff with the FBS National Champion earning a trip to the NY6 bowl game against a Division 4 opponent.

Permit Division 4 to play up to 2 FBS opponents and no FCS opponents. FBS can play 1 FCS opponent. This way, the best teams are forced to play each other more often OOC without having to worry about inferior teams with more shiny win-loss records.
08-31-2015 11:39 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-31-2015 11:30 AM)pablowow Wrote:  

I agree. G5 just needs access to the playoff and it will be no problem. I don't like G5 and P5 obviously. I wish it was 8 conferences and eight bids.

AFAIK, there is no bar to the G5 having access to the playoff. They just have to finish in the Top 4, just like everybody else.

IMO, the P5 not only don't have a desire to trim the G5, they now have motive to not trim it. As the CFP is now structured, new teams added to the G5 will not increase the amount of money they collectively receive. If a 12 team G5 conference expands to 16, they will just divide their share into smaller pieces.
08-31-2015 11:40 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7

There were a lot of victims with the rules from widdling down to D1, D2 and D3, and then divide even more to FBS and FCS. MVC was one of the victims since they used to be at FBS level that included West Texas A&M. Grinnell and Drake used to be Big 8 members at one time. Grinnell now in D3 and Drake in FCS.
Wayne State Michigan, Midwestern State, and Washburn used to be D1.
NCAA wound up wrecking conferences. I think Big 10's Chicago team that had sports dropped it because of what the NCAA was doing.
As it is, Slive did hinted that G5 schools that keep up with the P5 will be treated equals. It was hinted for some of the G5 schools in the MWC, AAC, Eastern Washington is spending money, Northern Iowa is spending, Missouri State is spending, Liberty is spending, North Dakota State and so forth in upgrading their facilities and all that. Before anybody say anything about FCS schools, we need to face the facts that some of these schools are valuable to a P5 view point. You only have Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State as only 4 teams in the northwest. Portland State (far behind), UNR, Boise State, Idaho and Eastern Washington are the only other teams in the northwest. I put Utah, Utah State and BYU in the Rocky Mountain region.

Wyoming, Montana, Montana State, North Dakota, North Dakota State, Colorado State, Air Force, South Dakota, Northern Iowa and South Dakota State are important for a north central region for the north plains schools like Nebraska, Iowa, Iowa State and Minnesota. I would toss in Omaha if they readd football, Minn.-Duluth and Mankato State as well. I think there is some regret for Omaha dropping football. Nebraska vs Omaha in football would be a treat for the fans in state, plus Nebraska could save a little money for them to pay FCOAs.

Wichita State, New Mexico, New Mexico State, plus UTEP, UTSA, Texas State, Colorado State-Pueblo and West Texas A&M could be important to fill in spaces in the southern Rockies. Northern Arizona, maybe Arizona Western down the road in the future, and some of the California schools are important as well for the southwest. Plus the UNLV as well.

The reason I am saying this is that G5 schools and FCS schools are important to the P5 for cost savings. That is why PAC 12 schedule Big Sky and MWC schools, and if they could put GNAC schools on the scedule? They can play them as well. It would give some of the top D2 schools some extra money if they do play FBS schools.

Remember that I am thinking and planning things out what could be best for college football in the long run. We all need to think more outside of the box to see what is right there, who are ready to play at the FBS level, and who can compete. Just a couple of years ago, Arkansas Tech almost beat McNeese State and McNeese State beat South Florida the same year. It is an example that some of the top D2 schools might be able to compete against FBS schools. Would FCS schools would like more conferences from D2 move up? The football schools would love to add some extra bodies at FCS level since many have left for FBS.
Texas State
UTSA
South Alabama
Charlotte
Georgia State
Old Dominion
Appalachian State
Georgia Southern
Plus with Coastal Carolina and Eastern Kentucky on the verge to join Sun Belt as a proactive since Big 12 could announce after the end of football season that when they get left out, they will expand some teams.

Now, who did FCS brought up in recent years?
Houston Baptist
Northern Kentucky
Grand Canyon U.
Abilene Christian
Incarnate Word

FCS is falling behind. Yeah, they did gain Stetson, Mercer, East Tennessee State, Houston Baptist, and Kennessaw State for football, but the schools were already in D1 or added the sport after moving up. New Orleans is supposed to be starting a football team this year, but they have delayed it. New Orleans and Tulane both are fighting for the same type of donations for football.
With Liberty, Missouri State, Wichita State, Northern Iowa, Youngstown State, james Madison, Lamar, Sam Houston State, Stony Brook, SFA, Jacksonville State, Alabama State, Dayton,Long Beach State and Delaware State all are thinking of going to FBS someday, you would wonder how long would the football schools stay with the basketball schools for long without adding or replenish the conferences for football?
08-31-2015 12:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.