Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Dj Daniels
Bookmark and Share
jmu-fan-1981 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU
Dj Daniels
Looks like we got a stud dual sport athlete.

Out of Wilson nc is our heir apparent to Vad Lee.

I'd take him over Donovan Williams anyday!
07-27-2015 10:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

Dj Daniels
You're right, I guess we should just stop those comparisons though. Does no one any good. Welcome DJ!
07-27-2015 10:57 PM
jmufan2008 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes
RE: Dj Daniels
Really hope this holds. Offer from Boston College is pretty awesome. Had some solid interest from in-state places like State, ECU and Duke as well.
07-27-2015 11:30 PM
jmufan2008 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes
Also, I wonder how much the dual-sport thing played into it. Seems like a lot. Did our baseball coach pick-up help sway him? When I hear football QB and baseball all I think about is Matt Szczur. That guy could shred.

Watching his video it looks like he has a strong arm, pretty accurate on his deep balls, and has some great speed. He might need an extra gear if he wants to have similar breakaways in college, but he is certainly a dual-threat.
07-27-2015 11:39 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

Snatched from ECU's turf. With the BC offer, sounds like the big boys were not saying the things he wanted to hear as in "you will be playing QB and you will be allowed to play BB as well."

If there is a concern, the schools in this part of NC are not large schools as it's a very rural area; therefore, the competition of the players he competed against, as well as the opposing schools, don't field teams as big and as strong as the city schools like Charlotte.

A good example of what I'm driving towards is Taylor Woods came from the same area of the state. Woods was a standout athlete in Havelock, NC who would have been just another player on a Charlotte team like Butler or Independence. I hope he sheds the fear I witnessed last year. He needed to red shirt to grow and gain strength in mind and body.
07-28-2015 07:20 AM
PhillyDuke Offline
Special Teams

(07-27-2015 11:39 PM)jmufan2008 Wrote:  When I hear football QB and baseball all I think about is Matt Szczur.

I feel like an ancient 38 year old saying this - but I think Macey Brooks!

To all the youngins, Macey Brooks was actually the highest MLB draftee NOT to sign with a big league club after the 1993 draft (high second round pick) and was a two sport star at JMU. As was fellow wide receiver and outfielder Juan Dorsey.

By the end of his time at JMU football seemed like a more obvious career choice - as Brooks went in the 4th round to the Cowboys and played 4 seasons in the NFL, chiefly with the Bears.

I love Szczur (pure class), but he has to log a lot more MLB service time even to get to Brooks' professional level. Not to mention Macey Brooks is a fellow Duke!
07-28-2015 07:55 AM
Advertisement

South Carolina Duke Offline
Banned

I Root For: James Madison
Dj Daniels
Hope he pans out and helps the Dukes. I haven't seen any film or which schools may have made any offers. Could be that EZU, State nor Duke wanted him for whatever reason and that there is any Parkers BBQ in Boston.
07-28-2015 09:38 AM
2Buck Offline
All American

(07-28-2015 07:55 AM)PhillyDuke Wrote:  
(07-27-2015 11:39 PM)jmufan2008 Wrote:  When I hear football QB and baseball all I think about is Matt Szczur.

To all the youngins, Macey Brooks was actually the highest MLB draftee NOT to sign with a big league club after the 1993 draft (high second round pick) and was a two sport star at JMU. As was fellow wide receiver and outfielder Juan Dorsey.

By the end of his time at JMU football seemed like a more obvious career choice - as Brooks went in the 4th round to the Cowboys and played 4 seasons in the NFL, chiefly with the Bears.

I love Szczur (pure class), but he has to log a lot more MLB service time even to get to Brooks' professional level. Not to mention Macey Brooks is a fellow Duke!

Yeah, as a Cowboys fan I followed Brooks intently. Had trouble with injuries and camp (a little bout with a case of the dropsies) but he had the potential to be an elite receiver.

DJ's a senior right? I just hope he keeps his head down and focuses on his last HS season until it's signing day and we don't get a last minute FBS school offer messing with things. EW deserves a break this time, he's doing a great job.
07-28-2015 09:41 AM
HolyCityDuke Offline
All American

I Root For: Duke Doge
(07-28-2015 09:41 AM)2Buck Wrote:  

Yeah, as a Cowboys fan I followed Brooks intently. Had trouble with injuries and camp (a little bout with a case of the dropsies) but he had the potential to be an elite receiver.

DJ's a senior right? I just hope he keeps his head down and focuses on his last HS season until it's signing day and we don't get a last minute FBS school offer messing with things. EW deserves a break this time, he's doing a great job.

why are you a Dallas fan? Jesus Christ...
07-28-2015 09:48 AM
2Buck Offline
All American

(07-28-2015 09:48 AM)HolyCityDuke Wrote:  
(07-28-2015 09:41 AM)2Buck Wrote:  

why are you a Dallas fan? Jesus Christ...

Because I hate the Redskins and the Giants (I'm from Jersey). For the record I think Jerry Jones is an even bigger d-bag than Schnieder, I grew up on Roger Staubach and Tony Dorsett.
07-28-2015 09:56 AM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

Dj Daniels
(07-28-2015 09:48 AM)HolyCityDuke Wrote:  why are you a Dallas fan? Jesus Christ...

Because you can choose to be a fan of whatever team you want regardless of where you live or how obnoxious Redskin fans are about Dallas fans that live in the area. Not everyone chooses to suffer through the worst franchise in all of professional sports. My opinion is that if you were a Cowboy fan before & remained one after Quincy Carter, I have no right to tell you it's wrong.
07-28-2015 10:09 AM
Advertisement

olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

So true:

Ok, back to my newest favorite Daniels (after Charlie & Jack).
07-28-2015 11:10 AM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

Dj Daniels
I just have never understood the compulsion to tell people who they can be fans of when it comes to pro sports. It's pretty much always bitter Redskin fans too. That says a lot.
07-28-2015 11:18 AM
2Buck Offline
All American

(07-28-2015 11:18 AM)HyperDuke Wrote:  I just have never understood the compulsion to tell people who they can be fans of when it comes to pro sports. It's pretty much always bitter Redskin fans too. That says a lot.

That is soooo true. I can remember my first NFL season while at JMU. I took a lot of sh!t from Redskin fans, listening to that stupid song a gajillion times as the Cowboys lost to everyone. Well, almost everyone. I was the only one in the dorm lounge smiling on Nov 5th, 1989. I guess I also owe the 'skins a little thanks as I was smiling with that drunken Redskinette I met at the Rally in the Alley as well.

BTW- that video is awesome. "Take your punk ass to Dallass" fund, just love it. I have been to Dallas. Hated it. Like the DC area much better, sans obnoxious Redskin fans of course.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2015 10:04 AM by 2Buck.)
07-29-2015 09:12 AM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(07-28-2015 11:18 AM)HyperDuke Wrote:  I just have never understood the compulsion to tell people who they can be fans of when it comes to pro sports. It's pretty much always bitter Redskin fans too. That says a lot.

Thats not true. up here in the Philly area I know (or know of) a # of Cowboys fans. The're either from Philly or NJ. No connection whatsoever to TX or even that region of the country. The lard bucket UD grad NJ gov is a prime example. Never understood it, esp when there's literally 7 other NFL teams within a 5 hr drive. They catch a lot of sh*t for it up here too.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2015 03:22 PM by BDKJMU.)
07-29-2015 03:18 PM
All Dukes_All Day Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt
I love when Cowboys fans call fans of any other team obnoxious. The whole pot meet kettle thing.

I personally wouldn't be able to root for out of region pro teams, I've tried, but it feels like rooting for someone else's kids. To each his own I suppose.
07-29-2015 03:35 PM
Advertisement

All Dukes_All Day Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt

You have never been to Boston have you? If you don't root for their teams, you are a nobody in their eyes. It's quite surreal and off putting. It's treated as a character flaw.
07-29-2015 03:38 PM
2Buck Offline
All American

(07-29-2015 03:35 PM)All Dukes_All Day Wrote:  I love when Cowboys fans call fans of any other team obnoxious. The whole pot meet kettle thing.

I personally wouldn't be able to root for out of region pro teams, I've tried, but it feels like rooting for someone else's kids. To each his own I suppose.

When I was a kid growing up, New Jersey didn't have an NFL team. They still don't. I absolutely refused to root for the Giants, who played in Jersey, practiced in Jersey, but refused to change their name due the the New York shadow. Hate the Yankees and Rangers as well. I am however a Devils fan.

07-29-2015 04:31 PM
SQZJMU Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: JMU, Navy, CSU
(07-29-2015 04:31 PM)2Buck Wrote:  
(07-29-2015 03:35 PM)All Dukes_All Day Wrote:  I love when Cowboys fans call fans of any other team obnoxious. The whole pot meet kettle thing.

When I was a kid growing up, New Jersey didn't have an NFL team. They still don't. I absolutely refused to root for the Giants, who played in Jersey, practiced in Jersey, but refused to change their name due the the New York shadow. Hate the Yankees and Rangers as well. I am however a Devils fan.

+1 and then some. Newark, NJ never loved the Giants. Did root for the Amazins' and the earlier Jets (The old N.Y. Titans of Polo Grounds fame).
07-29-2015 06:05 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

Dj Daniels
(07-29-2015 03:38 PM)All Dukes_All Day Wrote:  

You have never been to Boston have you? If you don't root for their teams, you are a nobody in their eyes. It's quite surreal and off putting. It's treated as a character flaw.

I went up in March! Toured Fenway & didn't have much trouble. My Yankee fan friend decided not to reveal his fandom though.
07-29-2015 06:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.