Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Why $10M?
Bookmark and Share
MTigerBlue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
Why $10M?
This may be one of the shortest threads in the history of MT.org, because the first poster may have the answer to the question posed in the thread title.

Pastner's contract is a 5-year deal with automatic renewals after the 2017-18 season. If he had been let go solely because of team performance after the first year of the agreement (say, May 2014), he would have been owed the maximum buyout amount, assuming they weren't going to fire him for team performance before the team ever played a season. That, according to the linked CA article which discloses the specifics of the contract -- obtained by a public records request of the university -- would be "four full seasons' salary."

So, maximum buyout (for team performance) of a 5-year contract = 4 year's salary.

Everyone I've heard, both in the media and on this board, uses a figure of $10M for any potential buyout after the upcoming basketball season, but just from reading the CA article and having a working knowledge of basic math, I can only come up with a figure of $5.3M -- and that's without any negotiation at all. Can someone clear this up for me?

From the Commercial Appeal, May 24, 2013:

"Pastner's contract is in effect for the next five seasons, through 2017-18. Automatic renewals are included after each of the next two seasons, meaning the deal is structured to extend through 2019-20."

"Dismissing Pastner solely because of the team's performance would be costly for the U of M. The Tigers would owe Pastner the balance of his contract — as many as four full seasons' salary, if he's dismissed before the date the contract automatically renews — if they wished to part with him."

"Pastner's deal calls for a base salary of $190,000, a $1.1 million portion for radio and television appearances, another $1.1 million portion for public relations and $260,000 for apparel."

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/pas...on-year-ne

It sounds to me like they're saying:
Buyout after 2013-14 season = four years' salary
After 2014-15 season = three years' salary
After 2015-16 season = two years' salary
After 2016-17 season = one year's salary
After 2017-18 season but before the automatic renewal date = Zero

If the automatic renewals were to be considered as already having occurred, it seems he could have been owed as many as six full seasons' salary, not "as many as four full seasons' salary" as stated in the article.

My apologies, in advance, for those who only want to see football threads until November!
07-25-2015 12:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UofMstateU Offline
Legend

RE: Why $10M?
It will likely take $10M+ upfront to get a new coach in here. You have 2 buyouts to handle.

Right now the school is spending money where it needs to in order to get into the B12. We dont need to siphon off 8 figures from that effort just to get another basketball coach at this point.
07-25-2015 12:47 PM
Smith Offline
1st String

I Root For: memphis
"My apologies, in advance, for those who only want to see football threads until November!"

How about those that are tired of the bs?
07-25-2015 12:53 PM
BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

Since he was still the coach at the end of April 2015 , Pastner's contract has automatically been extended through April 2020. FACT
07-25-2015 12:59 PM
MTigerBlue Offline
Heisman

(07-25-2015 12:59 PM)BinghamptonNed Wrote:  Since he was still the coach at the end of April 2015 , Pastner's contract has automatically been extended through April 2020. FACT

You may be correct -- I don't know -- but did you read that somewhere, or is it just an internet "fact?"
07-25-2015 01:14 PM
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation
(07-25-2015 01:14 PM)MTigerBlue Wrote:  
(07-25-2015 12:59 PM)BinghamptonNed Wrote:  Since he was still the coach at the end of April 2015 , Pastner's contract has automatically been extended through April 2020. FACT

You may be correct -- I don't know -- but did you read that somewhere, or is it just an internet "fact?"

its a fact
07-25-2015 01:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

Why would I bother to put FACT at the end of my post if i fid not have a copy of the contact and read it?
07-25-2015 02:34 PM
MTigerBlue Offline
Heisman

(07-25-2015 02:34 PM)BinghamptonNed Wrote:  

Why would I bother to put FACT at the end of my post if i fid not have a copy of the contact and read it?

Would you mind posting that part? I'm not arguing with you, but I would like to know the truth about it. The CA people read the contract and interpreted it as saying that two automatic renewals occur, one after the 2017-18 season and one after the 2018-19 season. I'm just wondering how they misread it.

Edit: Never mind, just read a copy. The CA's account implies the renewals happen after the end of the 5-year period, but in fact, they occur at the end of the first and second year. Should've looked a little harder for the information in the first place. My apologies. Carry on with the football threads.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2015 02:57 PM by MTigerBlue.)
07-25-2015 02:48 PM
tigerjamesc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: more wins
Our best hope is that he figures this mess out and turns into a great UofM coach. Sounds like he's not going anywhere for a while
07-25-2015 02:55 PM
MTigerBlue Offline
Heisman

(07-25-2015 02:55 PM)tigerjamesc Wrote:  Our best hope is that he figures this mess out and turns into a great UofM coach. Sounds like he's not going anywhere for a while

That would be the best for all parties.
07-25-2015 02:58 PM
Tanyaskees Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(07-25-2015 02:55 PM)tigerjamesc Wrote:  Our best hope is that he figures this mess out and turns into a great UofM coach. Sounds like he's not going anywhere for a while

I've been saying this for years.....that he is an investment that will pay off. But at this point I am not sure any more. Actually I can honestly say I believe I was wrong.
07-25-2015 03:36 PM
Advertisement

MTigerBlue Offline
Heisman

(07-25-2015 03:36 PM)Tanyaskees Wrote:  

I've been saying this for years.....that he is an investment that will pay off. But at this point I am not sure any more. Actually I can honestly say I believe I was wrong.

But you wouldn't mind being wrong about that, would you Tanya? LOL

OK, I got my answer thanks to BinghamptonNed. Close the thread -- don't want to see this devolve. 04-cheers
07-25-2015 03:53 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(07-25-2015 12:53 PM)Smith Wrote:  "My apologies, in advance, for those who only want to see football threads until November!"

How about those that are tired of the bs?

The bs stays and just for mentioning it like that, it will be in every football thread too.
07-25-2015 08:10 PM
Tanyaskees Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(07-25-2015 03:53 PM)MTigerBlue Wrote:  
(07-25-2015 03:36 PM)Tanyaskees Wrote:  

But you wouldn't mind being wrong about that, would you Tanya? LOL

OK, I got my answer thanks to BinghamptonNed. Close the thread -- don't want to see this devolve. 04-cheers

If he turns it around, I'll be thrilled. But it's unlikely. Hope I am wrong again.
07-25-2015 08:27 PM
Smith Offline
1st String

I Root For: memphis
"If he turns it around, I'll be thrilled. But it's unlikely. Hope I am wrong again."

He will never live up the expectations of most the people who post here; however, no one will. There is only one Calipari and he is at Kentucky. Can someone else coming here and do better? Probably. Can someone else achieve what Calipari did? Not likely. Best scenario is to get behind the team and play the string out.
07-25-2015 09:01 PM
Redbanksdog Offline
Heisman

(07-25-2015 09:01 PM)Smith Wrote:  "If he turns it around, I'll be thrilled. But it's unlikely. Hope I am wrong again."

He will never live up the expectations of most the people who post here; however, no one will. There is only one Calipari and he is at Kentucky. Can someone else coming here and do better? Probably. Can someone else achieve what Calipari did? Not likely. Best scenario is to get behind the team and play the string out.

I think you are a trouble maker, 05-nono We had basketball before Cal. 04-cheers
07-25-2015 09:31 PM
Advertisement

geedog50 Offline
Special Teams

(07-25-2015 09:01 PM)Smith Wrote:  "If he turns it around, I'll be thrilled. But it's unlikely. Hope I am wrong again."

03-shhhh 03-zzz 07-coffee3 Got issues?
07-26-2015 07:49 AM
Briskbas Offline
Heisman

(07-25-2015 12:08 PM)MTigerBlue Wrote:  This may be one of the shortest threads in the history of MT.org, because the first poster may have the answer to the question posed in the thread title.

Pastner's contract is a 5-year deal with automatic renewals after the 2017-18 season. If he had been let go solely because of team performance after the first year of the agreement (say, May 2014), he would have been owed the maximum buyout amount, assuming they weren't going to fire him for team performance before the team ever played a season. That, according to the linked CA article which discloses the specifics of the contract -- obtained by a public records request of the university -- would be "four full seasons' salary."

So, maximum buyout (for team performance) of a 5-year contract = 4 year's salary.

Everyone I've heard, both in the media and on this board, uses a figure of $10M for any potential buyout after the upcoming basketball season, but just from reading the CA article and having a working knowledge of basic math, I can only come up with a figure of $5.3M -- and that's without any negotiation at all. Can someone clear this up for me?

"Pastner's contract is in effect for the next five seasons, through 2017-18. Automatic renewals are included after each of the next two seasons, meaning the deal is structured to extend through 2019-20."

"Dismissing Pastner solely because of the team's performance would be costly for the U of M. The Tigers would owe Pastner the balance of his contract — as many as four full seasons' salary, if he's dismissed before the date the contract automatically renews — if they wished to part with him."

"Pastner's deal calls for a base salary of $190,000, a $1.1 million portion for radio and television appearances, another $1.1 million portion for public relations and $260,000 for apparel."

If the automatic renewals were to be considered as already having occurred, it seems he could have been owed as many as six full seasons' salary, not "as many as four full seasons' salary" as stated in the article.

My apologies, in advance, for those who only want to see football threads until November!

Someone posted a link to the contract a couple of weeks back. If that was the real deal, the long and the short of it is that Pastner's salary was guaranteed through 2020 as of April of this year. That's 5 years at 2.65 million today and will be 4 years at 2.65 after next season, which will put his buyout at 10.6 million if we want to get rid of him after this season.

In other words, he's probably here through 2017 at least.
07-26-2015 04:54 PM
idroot4russia Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Calipari did not take us any further than we had already been, but the first one is still on the books.
07-26-2015 05:00 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

(07-26-2015 04:54 PM)Briskbas Wrote:  
(07-25-2015 12:08 PM)MTigerBlue Wrote:  This may be one of the shortest threads in the history of MT.org, because the first poster may have the answer to the question posed in the thread title.

Someone posted a link to the contract a couple of weeks back. If that was the real deal, the long and the short of it is that Pastner's salary was guaranteed through 2020 as of April of this year. That's 5 years at 2.65 million today and will be 4 years at 2.65 after next season, which will put his buyout at 10.6 million if we want to get rid of him after this season.

In other words, he's probably here through 2017 at least.

We are spending money to get into the B12, and once in, we will be spending more money that the B12 will likely demand us to spend as a part of gaining entrance. Until those two items are completed (or at least accounted for) I dont see any way the school would be looking at dealing with two potential buyouts in the 8 figure range for a basketball coach.

Thats why when one of the guys reported that Pastner would be here for the next two years, it made sense. We are not going to put a holding pattern on spending money to get into the B12 just to swap out basketball coaches at this point.
07-26-2015 06:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.