Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Wake Forest dropped from ACC
PirateJim Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU/Underdogs
Wake Forest dropped from ACC
If that was to happen, what conference would want them?
06-18-2015 01:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: Wake Forest dropped from ACC
ACC can't kick and won't kick them out. Now if the ACC dissolved, i'm sure worst case, cusa would take them in. Although, i'm a fan of the SEC jumping to 16 with Nc state and Wake with the ACC replacing those 2 with Uconn and Cincy, everybody would be better off.
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2015 01:20 PM by bluesox.)
06-18-2015 01:19 PM
CarlSmithCenter Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ball So Hard U
Wouldn't happen but I'll play along with your thought exercise.

1) If the ACC were to drop Wake in a vacuum it would leave 13 full members plus Notre Dame.

2) Since we are engaging in flights of fancy, the ACC approaches Texas and cuts another Notre Dame deal with them plus they take Baylor and TCU as full members, giving the ACC 15 football/17 basketball. Deregulation passes and this won't affect a conference title game.

3) The Big 12 is DOA without Texas so Oklahoma and Kansas join the B1G.

4) Seizing the opportunity to get into the North Carolina market without having to, from their perspective, "slum" it with ECU,the SEC invites Wake to get to 15. They then have serious discussions about whether to take WVU or Oklahoma State as #16 but ultimately take the 'Pokes for further East-West balance and Boone Pickens' money.

5) Texas Tech, Iowa State, Kansas State, West Virginia remain a rump Big 12 and band together with BYU, Cincy, USF, UConn, Houston, SMU, ECU, Memphis, UCF and Tulane.

6) Tulsa and Temple join/rejoin CUSA or the MAC, Navy goes independent again.

7) Wake uses SEC network money and Chapel Hill's probation to skyrocket above the other in-state schools and develops a genteel version of the Iron Bowl rivalry with Vandy.
06-18-2015 01:24 PM
Carolina_Low_Country Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Pirates
Wake is the third smallest school in FBS and have hardly any fans. Not much of an add for SEC. They would take WVU and OK State before Wake Forest.
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2015 02:05 PM by Carolina_Low_Country.)
06-18-2015 01:40 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
I think the underlying question is "does Wake stay P5" in this circumstance, and my guess is no. The SEC would like to get into North Carolina, but Wake's statewide presence trails UNC, NC State, Duke and ECU. Their academics probably aren't enough to get them in, even if Vandy really really really wanted them. The Big 12 could make a play for them, possibly pairing them with Cincy to give them three Eastern Time Zone schools, though Wake really doesn't fit their mold.

They'd probably have to join the AAC, where at least they'd have academic peers in Tulane and SMU, and regional opponents in ECU and Navy (football). But it'd be a damn hard fall.
06-18-2015 01:42 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
(06-18-2015 01:40 PM)Carolina_Low_Country Wrote:  Wake is the smallest school in FBS and have hardly any fans. Not much of an add for SEC. They would take WVU and OK State before Wake Forest.

Third smallest, behind Tulsa and Rice.
06-18-2015 01:43 PM
Advertisement

SMUmustangs Offline
All American

I Root For:
(06-18-2015 01:40 PM)Carolina_Low_Country Wrote:  Wake is the smallest school in FBS and have hardly any fans...............

No they are not. That distinction belongs to Tulsa.
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2015 01:50 PM by SMUmustangs.)
06-18-2015 01:49 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
Wake would be in CUSA right now if conferences were built in the 1960s as they are today.
06-18-2015 02:20 PM
PirateJim Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU/Underdogs
I don't think any P5 conference would take them. I don't think the CUSA would take them. They already have Charlotte and ODU in the mid atlantic area. AAC maybe as a partner to ECU. Most likely the Sunbelt, I think App State would love to play them every year.
06-18-2015 02:31 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Wake isn't going anywhere unless they want to. They know where all the bodies are buried.
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2015 02:35 PM by CliftonAve.)
06-18-2015 02:35 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
Heh - I had mentioned to some others that Wake Forest seems to always be the favorite G5 fan target for elimination. The problem is that the ACC won't kick Wake out any more than they would kick UNC and Duke out. They are the equivalent of Mark Zuckerberg's secretary - she was in the right place at the right time in the very beginning of the formation of Facebook and is now a multimillionaire for life. Likewise, Wake Forest was a founder of the ACC and that gets them protection as long as the conference exists. Being shareholder #1 gets you a ton of lifetime benefits even if you're not providing any value to the company anymore.
06-18-2015 02:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-18-2015 02:31 PM)PirateJim Wrote:  I don't think any P5 conference would take them. I don't think the CUSA would take them. They already have Charlotte and ODU in the mid atlantic area. AAC maybe as a partner to ECU. Most likely the Sunbelt, I think App State would love to play them every year.

CUSA would definitely take them. Their mid-Atlantic presence is ONLY ODU and Charlotte (and Marshall, kinda), and Wake Forest would be an immediate region rival for all three.

They'd be a better fit in the AAC, with Tulane, Tulsa and SMU. The Wisteria League will never happen, but that (and a possible Rice addition down the line) is as close as you'd get, short of Vandy moving, and Emory and Washington U. moving up from D3 (inb4 David St)
06-18-2015 02:58 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

One other possibility: Big East basketball, indy/affiliate football.
06-18-2015 03:00 PM
justinslot Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers&Temple
(06-18-2015 02:48 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  Heh - I had mentioned to some others that Wake Forest seems to always be the favorite G5 fan target for elimination. The problem is that the ACC won't kick Wake out any more than they would kick UNC and Duke out. They are the equivalent of Mark Zuckerberg's secretary - she was in the right place at the right time in the very beginning of the formation of Facebook and is now a multimillionaire for life. Likewise, Wake Forest was a founder of the ACC and that gets them protection as long as the conference exists. Being shareholder #1 gets you a ton of lifetime benefits even if you're not providing any value to the company anymore.

Like those dudes who owned that St Louis ABA franchise.
06-18-2015 03:13 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(06-18-2015 01:01 PM)PirateJim Wrote:  If that was to happen, what conference would want them?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqc7gJ8qPFJHXq-oB7OzL...LCND6lbSOp]
06-18-2015 03:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
I've posted it before, the B1G would pay anything to get their hands on WF.
06-18-2015 03:35 PM
Advertisement

BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Stupid premise is...stupid.

But I am amazed that the obvious has not been said:
If Wake Forrest was "dropped" from the ACC, the American Athletic Conference would be ALL OVER them.

And if you're honest, you know that to be 100% correct.
06-18-2015 03:35 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
I'd love to kick Wake out. They can join the AAC or C-USA where they belong.

UConn, UC, Temple and Memphis would all be significant upgrades over Wake.
06-18-2015 04:12 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
(06-18-2015 03:35 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  Stupid premise is...stupid.

If Wake Forrest was "dropped" from the ACC, the American Athletic Conference would be ALL OVER them.

Here is the obvious, Maryland brought the B1G more than just a market. It brought information. WF would be even more damaging. NO school is more important to a conference then WF is to the ACC.
06-18-2015 04:15 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(06-18-2015 03:35 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  Stupid premise is...stupid.

I was going to say the same thing.
06-18-2015 04:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.