Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kickoff Discussion (2015 )- #2 UTSA @ Arizona
Bookmark and Share
Cnelson203 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall; WVU
Kickoff Discussion (2015 )- #2 UTSA @ Arizona
You guys did a great job with our first discussion. Next up is UTSA @ Arizona.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this is NOT the year for a rebuilding UTSA to be visiting what will likely be another tough Rich Rod team. I don't think the Wildcats will win the PAC South, and I don't think they are as good as last year's team, but they certainly aren't going to take the Roadrunners lightly after last years near loss in one of UTSA's very good outings. I suspect some payback is likely in order.

UTSA has a killer opening schedule in its first four games, and it looks like 0-4 is a real possibility, and the lack of numbers in returning starters doesn't bode well for a faster start than that.

I think 38-10 is a very possible score, and the Roadrunners will have to work to hold it down to 28 points, I fear.

My hope is that UTSA can survive the mean first four games relatively healthy and then be ready for conference play. But they need a bit of luck, I think. That luck won't start with this game.
06-11-2015 12:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SApuro Offline
All American

I Root For: UTSA and USM
RE: Kickoff Discussion (2015 )- #2 UTSA @ Arizona
UTSA has the toughest OOC I'd say of any G5 team.

@ Arizona 10-4
Kansas St. 9-4
@ Oklahoma St. 7-6
Colorado St. 10-3

Arizona is going to be a tough game no doubt but they are beatable. For the record UTSA has NEVER lost an opening game. Bet the Runners and bet them big.

Most of the SRs that we lost were FCS talent. Top to bottom UTSA has put together the most talented roster in their short history. Bringing in Michigan Grad Transfer QB will add to the depth chart. Don't sleep on the runners.
06-11-2015 01:16 PM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

I Root For: Southern Miss
(06-11-2015 01:16 PM)SApuro Wrote:  UTSA has the toughest OOC I'd say of any G5 team.

What about Marshall?
06-11-2015 01:38 PM
CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
That is a monster OOC slate. Winning just one of those games would be huge.
06-11-2015 09:22 PM
Migser31 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UTSA
I like it. Regardless if we win a game our not, this is great experience for such a young team and will only make them better in years to come.
06-11-2015 09:25 PM
SApuro Offline
All American

I Root For: UTSA and USM
(06-11-2015 09:25 PM)Migser31 Wrote:  I like it. Regardless if we win a game our not, this is great experience for such a young team and will only make them better in years to come.

The key is to stay healthy.

Our first 6 opponents were all bowling teams. Ouch. If we can go 2-4 I'll be happy.
06-11-2015 09:34 PM
Advertisement

Fear The Beak Offline
2nd String

(06-11-2015 01:38 PM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 01:16 PM)SApuro Wrote:  UTSA has the toughest OOC I'd say of any G5 team.

What about Marshall?

What about them? Certainly not suggesting that their schedule against Purdue, Ohio, Kent State, and Norfolk State is tougher than Arizona, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, and Colorado State.

As far as Arizona versus UTSA, the good news is that it is on a Thursday night and we all know about those Thursday night upsets!
06-11-2015 09:38 PM
Cscollis Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: La Tech
UTSA will have to play scrappy to have a chance. I hope UTSA makes it competitive with a bunch of new faces. The biggest thing UTSA has over AZ is Texas players. They all have a chip on their shoulder.
06-11-2015 09:53 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
UTSA will be a huge underdog... But I hope there's a good showing from the Runners. Hope UTSA has a big road crowd.
06-12-2015 08:53 AM
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
(06-11-2015 09:53 PM)Cscollis Wrote:  UTSA will have to play scrappy to have a chance. I hope UTSA makes it competitive with a bunch of new faces. The biggest thing UTSA has over AZ is Texas players. They all have a chip on their shoulder.

I'm interested by this statement. One thing many people have said during the Charlie Strong era at Texas is that the Florida players that he is bringing in are much tougher than the Texas guys... I've also heard the suggestion that Louisiana players are a lot tougher. Maybe that's not what you meant by "a chip on their shoulder," but that's the way I interpreted it.
06-12-2015 09:25 AM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
(06-11-2015 09:38 PM)Fear The Beak Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 01:38 PM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  

What about Marshall?

What about them? Certainly not suggesting that their schedule against Purdue, Ohio, Kent State, and Norfolk State is tougher than Arizona, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, and Colorado State.

As far as Arizona versus UTSA, the good news is that it is on a Thursday night and we all know about those Thursday night upsets!

It was a joke.
06-12-2015 09:27 AM
Advertisement

TheFIUtheproud Offline
2nd String

I Root For: FIU
(06-12-2015 09:25 AM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 09:53 PM)Cscollis Wrote:  UTSA will have to play scrappy to have a chance. I hope UTSA makes it competitive with a bunch of new faces. The biggest thing UTSA has over AZ is Texas players. They all have a chip on their shoulder.

I'm interested by this statement. One thing many people have said during the Charlie Strong era at Texas is that the Florida players that he is bringing in are much tougher than the Texas guys... I've also heard the suggestion that Louisiana players are a lot tougher. Maybe that's not what you meant by "a chip on their shoulder," but that's the way I interpreted it.

Interesting discussion and something relevant of late again. I wish there was a thread on this but not sure its necessary. There has been "talk" about this here on the radio with Charlie Strong coming to South Florida to recruit. Not sure if Florida players are tougher but many of the them certainly grow up in the toughest of neighborhoods. The Liberty City and Overtown areas of Miami, the western rural parts of Palm Beach (Pahokee), the rural areas of Lake Okeechobee, and the southern rural areas of Miami-Dade (Homestead, Florida City), just to name a few. There is no doubt that these South Florida players also have a "chip on their shoulder." They certainly feel superior to everyone else from Florida and other States. It doesn't hurt that the southern teams in Florida win most of the State championship classifications (8 total) yearly. Mainly, the Broward and Miami-Dade teams.

I do remember Coach Cristobal at FIU loved the Louisiana players and we still have a some. How about Georgia players?
06-12-2015 11:00 AM
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
In Texas, most of the football powers are suburban, middle-class areas.. Heck, even upper-class in places. Allen, Judson, Katy, WestLake, etc... There are exceptions to this, like Desoto, South Oak Cliff, Cedar Hill.
06-12-2015 11:22 AM
TheFIUtheproud Offline
2nd String

I Root For: FIU
(06-12-2015 11:22 AM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  In Texas, most of the football powers are suburban, middle-class areas.. Heck, even upper-class in places. Allen, Judson, Katy, WestLake, etc... There are exceptions to this, like Desoto, South Oak Cliff, Cedar Hill.

We have the wealthy powers as well in South Florida. Mainly in Broward County. St. Thomas Aquinas, University School, and American Heritage. In Miami-Dade we have Columbus High School. 3 of the 4 were in the State championship within different classification.
06-12-2015 02:28 PM
Volkmar Offline
All American

I Root For: U.T.S.A.
(06-12-2015 11:22 AM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  In Texas, most of the football powers are suburban, middle-class areas.. Heck, even upper-class in places. Allen, Judson, Katy, WestLake, etc... There are exceptions to this, like Desoto, South Oak Cliff, Cedar Hill.

You're right except that Judson isn't upper class. It's middle at best.
06-12-2015 04:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Volkmar Offline
All American

I Root For: U.T.S.A.
I can't speak for other states, but I'll tell you guys that part of what's going on in Texas with these suburban middle to upper-class schools having quality football programs is recruiting. Texas needs to crack down on this ****, but hasn't really yet. Katy HS of Katy ISD for example is notorious for recruiting talent from other schools, and while much of the public doesn't know about it, a great many coaches do. They're definitely not alone though. I'm privy to this because I coached for many years at the middle school level and so was in certain circles of coaches at the middle and high school level. One of the best athletes from our own middle school, whom I shall not name, ended up playing RB for Cinco Ranch HS (also Katy ISD) even though he lived in an area zoned to a school in our district and so wasn't even supposed to attend Cinco Ranch, much less be a student in that school district. The facilities are impeccable at some of these suburban schools and they lure kids and parents in.
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2015 03:31 PM by Volkmar.)
06-12-2015 05:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Noodles Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
Forget G5, UTSA probably has the toughest OOC schedule, period. Show me a better one.
06-12-2015 05:16 PM
CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
(06-12-2015 05:16 PM)Noodles Wrote:  Forget G5, UTSA probably has the toughest OOC schedule, period. Show me a better one.

You'll never read about it on ESPN, though. Meanwhile, Notre Dame will get front page for going to town on UMass and a handful of SEC teams will get blurbs for doing nothing at all.
06-12-2015 07:56 PM
SATXBOSSMAN Offline
Special Teams

A lot of the Texas players UTSA gets do have a chip on their shoulder. Most feel as if they were overlooked by P5 programs and have something to prove. Yes the team is young but the talent level on both sides of the ball compared to previous years isn't even close. The 2 biggest question marks going into to next season are : 1. Who will be the man under center & can he stay healthy for a full season. 2. How quickly can this young team grow up and play as a cohesive group.
06-12-2015 10:03 PM
Cnelson203 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall; WVU
(06-12-2015 05:16 PM)Noodles Wrote:  Forget G5, UTSA probably has the toughest OOC schedule, period. Show me a better one.

I agree it's a tough schedule, but not one that I would favor year in and year out. Going 0-4 in your first four games is not a great way to build your brand.

Now, I do think 2 P5 games is a must for all G5 teams (yeah, that includes Marshall, and I do think we get there) and I'd round that out with 2 G5 opponents with no FCS opponents. And I LIKE the Colorado State scheduling...solid choice.

But 3 P5, is not good, imo.
(This post was last modified: 06-13-2015 07:20 AM by Cnelson203.)
06-13-2015 07:19 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.