Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Pastner question
Bookmark and Share
ReynaFan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
Pastner question
A lot of posters recently make claims that if Pastner wins next year, he'll leave, as if this is certain and taken for granted.

It might make sense to define and quantify "wins next year" first, but I'm also interested in why he leaves and to what type of program he goes.

Is he bitter now that he got heat and is a quitter?
Is he looking for a bigger paycheck?
Does he not think he can win NC at Memphis?

Does he win and leave for a smaller school or P5 with a lesser basketball pedigree?
Does he become such a hot commodity that he is the big name all schools are courting?
Does he get interest from a perennial powerhouse program?

I just can't seem to find a yes answer to any of these questions, so those of you that think he's gone either way, what's the path for good season and then gone?
05-21-2015 06:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BuffaloTN Offline
All American

RE: Pastner question
Staying in front of the axe. He wins next year all he is doing is buying time if he were to follow that up with a bad season. So if he goes to a new school he can continue to be mediocre for another 4 or 5 years. If he were to get fired first then it is back to the assistant ranks.
05-21-2015 06:15 AM
holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

yes, by all means, lets discuss this again.
05-21-2015 06:37 AM
MemphisFan95 Offline
Coach A

Oh boy another one
05-21-2015 06:40 AM
tigerjamesc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: more wins
Thank you for this. We finally need to bring this subject out of the shadows and have more discussion about Pastner's future on this board. MORE PASTNER THREADS NOW!
Perhaps we could have a "Coach's Corner" separate section? Similar to the recruiting section...we could name it Pastner's Prognostications and discuss all things Pastner
05-21-2015 06:55 AM
ReynaFan Offline
Special Teams

I certainly apologize if people have explained their thought process on this question and I missed it. I honestly stopped reading all the Pastner threads because they quickly detiorated into useless drivel. I choose to neither read nor post in those threads.

I hadn't noticed people really making these claims about next year until the Stoudamire threads stating Pastner is gone next year either way.

I honestly don't see how Pastner leaves after a good season, but I'm open to discussing others' thought processes.

I purposely titled the thread Pastner question to make it very easy for people to ignore. My advice to any not interested would be to ignore the thread.

For Buffalo, I don't get that he's the type of person to have a good year and say, "whew! I better get another job now because I really can't hack it." Whether he's accurate or not, I think he believes in his ability to be successful.
05-21-2015 07:14 AM
Advertisement

MemphisTiger15 Offline
Banned

I Root For: an AAC 'ship
Does it really matter what his reasoning is if he leaves on his own? He could leave b/c he wanted to fly a spaceship to Mars for all I care. The sooner he isn't the coach, the better off Tiger basketball will be.
05-21-2015 07:18 AM
tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

I Root For: $79.95 Boards
[Image: z4n562n.png]
05-21-2015 08:57 AM
Tigerx3 Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-21-2015 06:01 AM)ReynaFan Wrote:  A lot of posters recently make claims that if Pastner wins next year, he'll leave, as if this is certain and taken for granted.

It might make sense to define and quantify "wins next year" first, but I'm also interested in why he leaves and to what type of program he goes.

Does he win and leave for a smaller school or P5 with a lesser basketball pedigree?
Does he become such a hot commodity that he is the big name all schools are courting?

I just can't seem to find a yes answer to any of these questions, so those of you that think he's gone either way, what's the path for good season and then gone?

Josh is the type of guy that would be in Memphis for a lifetime unless he is run off. He has had other schools court him. At some point he will leave if the current culture of hate continues.

Coaches get paid well to win. How much do you have to win to keep your job can only move up, never down. Cal's soulless tenure here made it nearly impossible for any coach to be embraced long-term. We have never maintained anything close to what he accomplished in his last few years.

Memphis is a good program that is occasionally great but has never possessed the gold ring. I suspect that the record Josh has compiled would not have received the same negative reaction if had followed Cal after his first few years rather than the last few.

Certainly Josh has not met expectations for wining big games and then there was last year. But the feeding frenzy has been excessive and very personal. He is a good man, a good family man, a very morale man of high character who values his position in Memphis/at Memphis and appreciates the opportunity extended to him. There may be a time for him to go soon or later but we don't have to destroy a good man in the process.
05-21-2015 11:19 AM
HoopDreams Offline
Better Than Diamond Rings

I Root For: EXPECTATIONS
(05-21-2015 11:19 AM)Tigerx3 Wrote:  
(05-21-2015 06:01 AM)ReynaFan Wrote:  A lot of posters recently make claims that if Pastner wins next year, he'll leave, as if this is certain and taken for granted.

Josh is the type of guy that would be in Memphis for a lifetime unless he is run off. He has had other schools court him. At some point he will leave if the current culture of hate continues.

Coaches get paid well to win. How much do you have to win to keep your job can only move up, never down. Cal's soulless tenure here made it nearly impossible for any coach to be embraced long-term. We have never maintained anything close to what he accomplished in his last few years.

Memphis is a good program that is occasionally great but has never possessed the gold ring. I suspect that the record Josh has compiled would not have received the same negative reaction if had followed Cal after his first few years rather than the last few.

Certainly Josh has not met expectations for wining big games and then there was last year. But the feeding frenzy has been excessive and very personal. He is a good man, a good family man, a very morale man of high character who values his position in Memphis/at Memphis and appreciates the opportunity extended to him. There may be a time for him to go soon or later but we don't have to destroy a good man in the process.

I have no idea what all this rambling means.

He is paid $2.6 million to run a DI basketball program.

Most of the folks I know have nothing against him personally - they do however have issue with what they see on the floor at times.

Cal had the same critics about his record vs. ranked teams the first half of his career here, so I suspect your theory on that is incorrect.
05-21-2015 11:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

The haters will hate you for this. Excellent post.
05-21-2015 11:48 AM
Advertisement

Tigerx3 Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-21-2015 11:36 AM)HoopDreams Wrote:  

Most of the folks I know have nothing against him personally - they do however have issue with what they see on the floor at times.

Cal had the same critics about his record vs. ranked teams the first half of his career here, so I suspect your theory on that is incorrect.

Thanks for reinventing my message and leaving out the logic of the text. And of course the added insult always helps bring meaning to a conversation.
05-21-2015 12:10 PM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
Word on the street is President Rudd wants a top 9 coach for a top 9 salary.
05-21-2015 12:13 PM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

(05-21-2015 11:48 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  

Opinions vary. I felt the OP asked some good questions. Too bad some people don't seem to get it and think that ANYTHING posted on here not proclaiming Josh as the next Coach K or Wooden is beating a dead horse.
05-21-2015 12:15 PM
Tigerx3 Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-21-2015 12:15 PM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  

Opinions vary. I felt the OP asked some good questions. Too bad some people don't seem to get it and think that ANYTHING posted on here not proclaiming Josh as the next Coach K or Wooden is beating a dead horse.

I have no problems with the OP. Some of the comments after, yes. I have seen no comparisons to coach K or W and would never do that.

Some people have problems with me because I can like the man and still believe he has not met expectations as a coach. I also don't hold that Josh has been a complete failure. We aren't as elite as some proclaim and hiring the next K or W is very difficult. Heck, even Wooden couldn't replicate his record in the current world of college basketball.
05-21-2015 12:47 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

You get fixated on things that are completely false and run around like a parrot. Feel free to come up with a link showing anything to back up what you just said. Very bizarre.
05-21-2015 12:55 PM
Advertisement

Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

(05-21-2015 12:55 PM)Stammers Wrote:  

You get fixated on things that are completely false and run around like a parrot. Feel free to come up with a link showing anything to back up what you just said. Very bizarre.

http://csnbbs.com/thread-729187.html
05-21-2015 12:56 PM
HoopDreams Offline

(05-21-2015 12:10 PM)Tigerx3 Wrote:  
(05-21-2015 11:36 AM)HoopDreams Wrote:  

Thanks for reinventing my message and leaving out the logic of the text. And of course the added insult always helps bring meaning to a conversation.

You're welcome.

If you wouldn't take not so subtle jabs - "culture of hate" "soulless tenure" then we could have real discussions.

As it is, I don't disagree with some of your post. I think Josh has much thinner skin than a lot of DI head coaches. We will see how he deals with the adversity of last season.
05-21-2015 12:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HoopDreams Offline

I agree - the main question I gleaned from the OP's post was where is Josh going - good season or bad?

It seems a foregone conclusion to some that he's gone, but I'm not so sure that is true.
05-21-2015 01:00 PM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

(05-21-2015 01:00 PM)HoopDreams Wrote:  

I agree - the main question I gleaned from the OP's post was where is Josh going - good season or bad?

It seems a foregone conclusion to some that he's gone, but I'm not so sure that is true.

Yep. Will he go to a lesser job? I guess? Will they want him? That's a different question. He wasn't on Arizona St or Bama's radar
05-21-2015 01:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.