Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

JMU announces $88 Million new Basketball Arena
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
JMU announces $88 Million new Basketball Arena
http://www.whsv.com/news/headlines/JMU-R...65541.html

James Madison University revealed plans for a brand new Convocation Center on Monday.

University Athletic Director Jeff Bourne unveiled images and plans for the new on-campus building.

"The Convocation Center will help us grow our JMU brand and place us in a position for relevance on a national stage," said Bourne in a press release. "This is a significant initiative in our continued efforts to establish a culture and facilities that will allow our men's and women's basketball programs to compete at the highest level of Division I athletics."

The 8,500-seat structure will play host to a myriad of events annually, including basketball games, public speakers, university convocation and graduation, high school graduation ceremonies, concerts, conventions, trade shows and family entertainment options.

The $88 million dollar arena will be located at the corner of University Boulevard and Carrier Drive, adjacent to the East Campus Dining Hall and the Festival Conference and Student Center.
04-28-2015 11:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
RE: JMU announces $88 Million new Basketball Arena
04-28-2015 11:38 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
From the article:

"The university has established a fundraising goal of $12 million, and all support must be secured before construction on the project can begin. No formal construction timeline has been set but the university is actively fundraising."

No word on how far the fundraising is going along. But you'll notice that when larger schools (Notre Dame, Michigan, TCU, and Cincinnati come to mind) announced big renovations, the donations were already 100% secured by the time that the announcement was made. For some reason smaller schools don't adhere to this guideline and appear to be using the announcement itself as a means to spur big-time donors to contribute.
04-28-2015 11:50 AM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

(04-28-2015 11:50 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  From the article:

"The university has established a fundraising goal of $12 million, and all support must be secured before construction on the project can begin. No formal construction timeline has been set but the university is actively fundraising."

No word on how far the fundraising is going along. But you'll notice that when larger schools (Notre Dame, Michigan, TCU, and Cincinnati come to mind) announced big renovations, the donations were already 100% secured by the time that the announcement was made. For some reason smaller schools don't adhere to this guideline and appear to be using the announcement itself as a means to spur big-time donors to contribute.

Pledges of 12 million, and cash of 3 million. 2.5 million in cash in hand, so not too far away.

And of course fundraising is tougher in FCS/CAA. We can't depend on TV revenue and conference payouts for anything.
04-28-2015 11:52 AM
BE4neva Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Providence
JMU to the Big East!
04-28-2015 12:31 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
(04-28-2015 11:50 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  From the article:

It'd be cool to see a study on "estimated total alumni-dollars" for schools in the country, either in a basic sense (sum of gross incomes) or in a more "discretionary spending power" sense.
04-28-2015 12:52 PM
Advertisement

Crump1 Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
If you are not going to move to FBS then I hope the decision to pay COA has been made or that arena won't be filled with the players needed to compete in D1 basketball.
04-28-2015 01:46 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
88 million?-seems a little high for 8500 seats.Must be a lot of bells and whistles.

Congrats!!
04-28-2015 01:58 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

(04-28-2015 01:46 PM)Crump1 Wrote:  If you are not going to move to FBS then I hope the decision to pay COA has been made or that arena won't be filled with the players needed to compete in D1 basketball.

Does anyone here know if conferences will have any say in allowing member schools to provide FCoA scholarships?

If so, has the CAA released any public statements in that regard?
04-28-2015 02:02 PM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

(04-28-2015 01:46 PM)Crump1 Wrote:  If you are not going to move to FBS then I hope the decision to pay COA has been made or that arena won't be filled with the players needed to compete in D1 basketball.

This arena isn't being built for the CAA. It's an attempt to show potential FBS homes that we have top shelf facilities.
04-28-2015 02:34 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(04-28-2015 01:58 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  88 million?-seems a little high for 8500 seats.Must be a lot of bells and whistles.

Congrats!!

Welcome to 2015
04-28-2015 02:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
$88 million is about right for 8500 seats. Does the state pay for the rest of the arena? How is the balance to be funded?
04-28-2015 02:43 PM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

(04-28-2015 02:43 PM)Big Frog II Wrote:  $88 million is about right for 8500 seats. Does the state pay for the rest of the arena? How is the balance to be funded?

In Virginia, no state funds can be used on Athletic facilities. The rest of the funding comes from a bond issuance, backed by the state credit rating. JMU pays the bonds, but gets the benefit of state backing for credit purposes.
04-28-2015 02:46 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
The JMU to FBS train needs to move down the track or quit.

Rejection of an invite from the SBC is very short-sighted!

Invites from others look unlikely for the near term.
04-28-2015 02:47 PM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

(04-28-2015 02:47 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  The JMU to FBS train needs to move down the track or quit.

Rejection of an invite from the SBC is very short-sighted!

Invites from others look unlikely for the near term.

"How does this facility impact the prospect of a move to an FBS conference?"

"At which time JMU is offered an invitation to an FBS-affiliated league, a thorough and thoughtful recommendation will be made to the JMU Board of Visitors. No such invitation has been extended. The new Convocation Center is about providing the highest level experience for our student-athletes and general student population."

Crazy Karl never invited JMU, according to JMU.

Yes, I know how these things work. Just trotting out the tired JMU response when the SBC topic is brought up.
04-28-2015 02:58 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
Sounds like JMU is staying FCS with the new investment in the basketball arena. With the changes in FBS going on, its probably a better investment.
04-28-2015 03:11 PM
Advertisement

JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

(04-28-2015 03:11 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  Sounds like JMU is staying FCS with the new investment in the basketball arena. With the changes in FBS going on, its probably a better investment.

That is incorrect. JMU wants the MAC or CUSA, and is willing to wait until that opportunity presents itself, apparently.

With this facility, JMU will have spent over 200 million on athletic facilities since 2004.

FBS is the goal, but the decision makers have said it won't be an "at all costs" decision. Time will tell if that was a wise approach.
04-28-2015 03:25 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(04-28-2015 03:25 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  
(04-28-2015 03:11 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  Sounds like JMU is staying FCS with the new investment in the basketball arena. With the changes in FBS going on, its probably a better investment.

That is incorrect. JMU wants the MAC or CUSA, and is willing to wait until that opportunity presents itself, apparently.

With this facility, JMU will have spent over 200 million on athletic facilities since 2004.

FBS is the goal, but the decision makers have said it won't be an "at all costs" decision. Time will tell if that was a wise approach.

Sorry, but if FBS is the true stated goal of JMU, then they need to go to the Sunbelt where they await you with open arms. Otherwise, stay FCS while upping the investment in basketball. If you JMU really wanted FBS status, then they wouldn't invest in a new basketball arena so they could meet the new FBS benefits that would coming down the way.
04-28-2015 03:42 PM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

(04-28-2015 03:42 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  
(04-28-2015 03:25 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  

Sorry, but if FBS is the true stated goal of JMU, then they need to go to the Sunbelt where they await you with open arms. Otherwise, stay FCS while upping the investment in basketball. If you JMU really wanted FBS status, then they wouldn't invest in a new basketball arena so they could meet the new FBS benefits that would coming down the way.

As I said previously, FBS is the goal, but they won't go to the SBC for a variety of reasons. The basketball arena and the FBS decision are completely separate issues, as our current bball arena is older and not really viable anymore.

Many JMU fans have echoed your sentiments. Many of us feel that you can only open doors that aren't locked. JMU admin thinks some other opportunities are going to avail themselves, apparently.
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2015 04:06 PM by JMU2004.)
04-28-2015 04:04 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I'm guessing they don't want to appear to be "beneath" Old Dominion.
04-28-2015 04:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.