Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Looking Forward
Bookmark and Share
Willie Becton Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Fair Play.
Looking Forward
I personally know in my heart of hearts that we make a big run next season. I think that with a new assistant and some fantastic signees in our recruiting class we will be poised to do just that.

I sincerely believe that this season was an anomaly--the proverbial blip on the radar. All great programs have down years. We most certainly had one this season.

When you're down you dig in and move forward. You are thankful for what you have, you look to the future, and you keep your eyes on the bigger and better things to come. I won't succumb to the negativity that seems to engulf all discussions surrounding Memphis Basketball lately. It is counterproductive and we, as a program and fan-base, are better than that!

I trust in the University, the athletic director, the coaching staff, and the players. We will be back to make some noise in the NCAA tournament next year!

Go Tigers Go!

~THE wb
03-16-2015 11:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tigertom Offline
"Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum"

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Donators
RE: Looking Forward
(03-16-2015 11:25 AM)Willie Becton Wrote:  I personally know in my heart of hearts that we make a big run next season. I think that with a new assistant and some fantastic signees in our recruiting class we will be poised to do just that.

I sincerely believe that this season was an anomaly--the proverbial blip on the radar. All great programs have down years. We most certainly had one this season.

When you're down you dig in and move forward. You are thankful for what you have, you look to the future, and you keep your eyes on the bigger and better things to come. I won't succumb to the negativity that seems to engulf all discussions surrounding Memphis Basketball lately. It is counterproductive and we, as a program and fan-base, are better than that!

I trust in the University, the athletic director, the coaching staff, and the players. We will be back to make some noise in the NCAA tournament next year!

Go Tigers Go!

~THE wb

04-bow for that We needed it. 04-bow

Here's hoping you get many more replies liking it . Thanks again. 04-bow
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2015 11:35 AM by tigertom.)
03-16-2015 11:34 AM
fensterman Offline
Banned

I Root For: Memphis
(03-16-2015 11:25 AM)Willie Becton Wrote:  I personally know in my heart of hearts that we make a big run next season. I think that with a new assistant and some fantastic signees in our recruiting class we will be poised to do just that.

Go Tigers Go!

~THE wb

Now, this a real thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
03-16-2015 11:38 AM
daddyodewy Offline
All American

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(03-16-2015 11:38 AM)fensterman Wrote:  

Go Tigers Go!

~THE wb

To paraphrase President Ford......."our long seasonal nightmare is over"

That being said, I also am in the camp that next year will be much, much, better. Only lose Godfrey [ and a possible transfer] and if Shaq starts off like he ended, if Austin gets even better, we have a servicable point guard, the rest of the guys get better and the Lawsons contribute in a meaningful way, I think we'll all be happy campers. Lots of ifs I know.
03-16-2015 11:59 AM
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Close Games

Donators
(03-16-2015 11:59 AM)daddyodewy Wrote:  
(03-16-2015 11:38 AM)fensterman Wrote:  

Go Tigers Go!

~THE wb

To paraphrase President Ford......."our long seasonal nightmare is over"

That being said, I also am in the camp that next year will be much, much, better. Only lose Godfrey [ and a possible transfer] and if Shaq starts off like he ended, if Austin gets even better, we have a servicable point guard, the rest of the guys get better and the Lawsons contribute in a meaningful way, I think we'll all be happy campers. Lots of ifs I know.

Five 'if's' Once you get to three something usually doesn't come through...........
03-16-2015 12:19 PM
ZachMan Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Tigers

Go Tigers Go!

~THE wb

Sounds like a great slogan Wait til Next Season!!! 03-banghead[/size]
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2015 12:27 PM by ZachMan.)
03-16-2015 12:26 PM
Advertisement

blutgr39 Offline
Special Teams

If King n Shaq stay we need at least one more big (would like to have two). I have only watched the Lawsons once. I did not see a ready for D1 basketball power forward from either of them. I think Pookie transfers. I love Crawfords upside. This pg from Texas better get good in a hurry. Sweet Sixteen or Josh we need to talk.
03-16-2015 12:30 PM
HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
We need another 5 man - nothing special, just a body a la Pellam/Godfrey.

We need a PG - #GoodKedren or an impact grad transfer

We need shooters - Guys on the roster (Markel, Burrell, and Woodson) have to shoot more consistently

We need an X & O bench coach - Paul Hewitt, Murray Bartow, etc.

We need Shaq to stay

Lawsons need to both produce reasonable stats - 9 & 5 maybe?

THEN I think we could be a legit Top 20 team. But...that's a lot
03-16-2015 12:54 PM
HoopDreams Offline
Better Than Diamond Rings

I Root For: EXPECTATIONS
(03-16-2015 12:30 PM)blutgr39 Wrote:  If King n Shaq stay we need at least one more big (would like to have two). I have only watched the Lawsons once. I did not see a ready for D1 basketball power forward from either of them. I think Pookie transfers. I love Crawfords upside. This pg from Texas better get good in a hurry. Sweet Sixteen or Josh we need to talk.

Broddie is from Maryland.
03-16-2015 12:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HoopDreams Offline
Better Than Diamond Rings

I Root For: EXPECTATIONS
(03-16-2015 12:54 PM)HometownTiger Wrote:  We need another 5 man - nothing special, just a body a la Pellam/Godfrey.

We need a PG - #GoodKedren or an impact grad transfer

We need shooters - Guys on the roster (Markel, Burrell, and Woodson) have to shoot more consistently

We need an X & O bench coach - Paul Hewitt, Murray Bartow, etc.

We need Shaq to stay

Lawsons need to both produce reasonable stats - 9 & 5 maybe?

THEN I think we could be a legit Top 20 team. But...that's a lot

And they all need to improve physically in the offseason.

Wasn't too impressed with the new S&C so far. Not down on him either, just seems kind of like the same old, though AN did put on some good weight.
03-16-2015 12:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tigersroll Offline
All American

With all due respect, I knew in my heart of hearts before the 2013-2014 season that we would break though the wall with that loaded team. When that team sputtered, I gave into false hope that the 2014-2015 would be more of a "TEAM" than the 2013-2014 squad. This season made me open my eyes even more. Then I stopped using my heart and looked at reality. Not to put a damper on things, but when and if Josh makes it to the tourney and past the first weekend, I would love to see it when we are up in our second tourney gameand there is no time left on the clock with the referees running to the locker room. I am a diehard fan, but now I realize our ceiling. From here on out, I will NEVER predict before the season how our season will unfold under Josh. If I can't say (or expect) something good, then I wont say (or expect) something at all. That's about as positive as I can be.
03-16-2015 12:59 PM
Advertisement

memphissince86 Offline
1st String

I Root For: TigersnRedskins
I only judge and have expectations on Pastner's teams on what he's done with his squads prior , that's a realistic barometer.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2015 01:09 PM by memphissince86.)
03-16-2015 01:08 PM
tigerlands Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-16-2015 12:59 PM)tigersroll Wrote:  With all due respect, I knew in my heart of hearts before the 2013-2014 season that we would break though the wall with that loaded team. When that team sputtered, I gave into false hope that the 2014-2015 would be more of a "TEAM" than the 2013-2014 squad. This season made me open my eyes even more. Then I stopped using my heart and looked at reality. Not to put a damper on things, but when and if Josh makes it to the tourney and past the first weekend, I would love to see it when we are up in our second tourney gameand there is no time left on the clock with the referees running to the locker room. I am a diehard fan, but now I realize our ceiling. From here on out, I will NEVER predict before the season how our season will unfold under Josh. If I can't say (or expect) something good, then I wont say (or expect) something at all. That's about as positive as I can be.

I think all Tiger fans knew, or should have known, that this year might be a struggle. We lost the core of the team, had no guards, and if we were paying attention to what happened in Canada then you had to know it was going to be a rough year. I remember thinking, after the Canada trip, that surprised me. Then after the so called secret scrimmage , we were in trouble. Only the news of injuries made me think we could be better. We weren't.
03-16-2015 01:10 PM
Willie Becton Offline
Hall of Famer

I believe that we will be much, much better next season.
We will have more experience, some new really good players, another year of experience for our HEAD COACH, and a nice solid bit of work from this season upon which we can build. Rome wasn't built in a day.
03-16-2015 01:35 PM
memphissince86 Offline
1st String

(03-16-2015 01:35 PM)Willie Becton Wrote:  I believe that we will be much, much better next season.
We will have more experience, some new really good players, another year of experience for our HEAD COACH, and a nice solid bit of work from this season upon which we can build. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Problem: These are the same statements that's been floating around for years. Hope you're right and I'm wrong.
03-16-2015 01:37 PM
Willie Becton Offline
Hall of Famer

In "Outliers," Gladwell points out success stories from all different walks of life, including such luminaries as Bill Gates and the Beatles, to name a few.

So what do eclectic songsmiths, like John and Paul, have in common with the founder of Microsoft? Have you heard about the 10,000-hour rule?

According to the book, people who want to reach a mastery of their preferred career path require 10,000 hours of practice. Why 10,000 hours? Neurologist Daniel Levitin says in his research of success stories the number 10,000 keeps coming up. Essentially, that number equates to three hours per day for 10 years. Hey, if it were easy, everybody would be successful.
03-16-2015 01:48 PM
Advertisement

memphissince86 Offline
1st String

Sounds great.
03-16-2015 02:04 PM
George Can'tStandYa Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
The 10,000 hour rule is for MASTERY of a given subject, and it does not exclude natural born talent. More to the point, one can be good at something without being a MASTER of it, and two, a more talented individual will not only, be able to master something in less than 10,000 (think Beethoven, Bach) but will be better than a lesser talented person who also achieves 10,000 hours. Pastner should have enough "hours" to be good...he hasn't proved that, and even if he does get his 10,000 hours, his ceiling is decidedly lower than a lot of other people in coaching circles.
03-16-2015 02:06 PM
Willie Becton Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-16-2015 02:06 PM)George CantStandYa Wrote:  The 10,000 hour rule is for MASTERY of a given subject, and it does not exclude natural born talent. More to the point, one can be good at something without being a MASTER of it, and two, a more talented individual will not only, be able to master something in less than 10,000 (think Beethoven, Bach) but will be better than a lesser talented person who also achieves 10,000 hours. Pastner should have enough "hours" to be good...he hasn't proved that, and even if he does get his 10,000 hours, his ceiling is decidedly lower than a lot of other people in coaching circles.

why is that
03-16-2015 02:15 PM
Willie Becton Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-16-2015 02:06 PM)George CantStandYa Wrote:  The 10,000 hour rule is for MASTERY of a given subject, and it does not exclude natural born talent. More to the point, one can be good at something without being a MASTER of it, and two, a more talented individual will not only, be able to master something in less than 10,000 (think Beethoven, Bach) but will be better than a lesser talented person who also achieves 10,000 hours. Pastner should have enough "hours" to be good...he hasn't proved that, and even if he does get his 10,000 hours, his ceiling is decidedly lower than a lot of other people in coaching circles.

Next question:

Why in the world would you surmise that I was speaking about the coach and not anyone else? Last time I checked a player needed to put in a whole lot of hours in order to make shots...
03-16-2015 02:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.