ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

March Madness-Conference tourneys
djnva Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU
March Madness-Conference tourneys
I know we have nice long thread tracking other bubble teams and opponents, etc. but I thought we might want a thread to track the conference tourneys of the smaller conferences. Most of these will be one bid leagues, but it's still fun to keep an eye on them.

Some tourneys get rolling this week:

America East (Wednesday): one bid league, no top 100 RPI schools. Albany is top seed and only 20 game winner.

Atlantic Sun (Tuesday): one bid league, only 3 teams with winning record, North Florida is top seed

Big South (Wednesday): one bid league, Radford only top 100 RPI school, sitting in mid-80s, so no at-large threat.

CAA (Friday): one bid league, so root for anyone you want, but W&M is sitting around 101 in RPI, so a few wins would help us out. W&M is the #1 seed. Northeastern is the only 20 game winner.

Horizon (Tuesday): One bid league, Valpo and Green Bay have RPIs in the 60s. GB owns a win over ACC school (Miami), but that's it.

Ivy: no conference tourney, bid will go to Harvard or Yale. Harvard has RPI in the 50s but no signature wins. Yale is in the 60s with win over mediocre UConn team.

MAAC (Thursday): Now it gets a little interesting. Iona is in the upper 40s in RPI, but no signature wins. To be safe however, let's all pull for Iona. No other team would get at-large.

MVC (Thursday): Here we go--Wichita St. (#11 RPI) and Northern Iowa (#14 RPI) are locks. No other team should get an at-large bid. We need to be pulling for one of those 2 to win the tourney.

Northeast (Sunday): One bid only--Mt. St. Mary's getting a few wins would help our RPI.

OVC (Wednesday): Murray St. has an RPI in the mid-60s, no other team is in top 100. They have a gaudy 24-4 record, but no signature wins. One bid only.

Patriot (Tuesday): One bid only, Bucknell is the top seed.

SoCo (Friday): Wofford could be a fly in the ointment. Sitting around 50 in RPI, has top 50 (or close to it depending on day) wins over NC State and Iona. It would be best for everyone if they won the tourney.

Summit (Saturday): One bid, SDSU is a top 100 RPI school, but no at-large threat.

WCC (Friday): Gonzaga is a lock, BYU is now an at-large threat (#34 at RPIforecast.com). St. Mary's is around #60. BYU is a name school, with a win over Gonzaga in their pocket. If St. Mary's wins this tourney, that's not good.

As more tourney schedules get finalized, post and let us know who we should be rooting for.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2015 12:25 PM by djnva.)
03-02-2015 12:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TheDancinMonarch Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: March Madness-Conference tourneys
(03-02-2015 12:22 PM)djnva Wrote:  I know we have nice long thread tracking other bubble teams and opponents, etc. but I thought we might want a thread to track the conference tourneys of the smaller conferences. Most of these will be one bid leagues, but it's still fun to keep an eye on them.

CAA (Friday): one bid league, so root for anyone you want, but W&M is sitting around 101 in RPI, so a few wins would help us out. W&M is the #1 seed. Northeastern is the only 20 game winner.

As more tourney schedules get finalized, post and let us know who we should be rooting for.

For some friends of mine who are W&M fans, some of whom are apparently willing to divest themselves of some body parts for the opportunity to dance, I say Go Tribe!!!
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2015 02:14 PM by TheDancinMonarch.)
03-02-2015 02:13 PM
Old Monarch Offline
Water Engineer

Mark Benson (remember him?) is now the AD at UAlbany so you've got root for the Great Danes.
03-02-2015 02:18 PM
monarchfan4life Offline
2nd String

The Tribe laid an egg on Saturday against Drexel, but hopefully they can regroup and make it this year. GO Tribe!
03-02-2015 02:23 PM
BigBlue23 Offline
2nd String

I have no clue how the CAA shook out, but I do love me some Bruiser Flint. I am not sure the NCAA tournament would know what to do with Bruiser! I just know that their fans would become instantly delusional like they were a few years back when they actually thought they could compete with the big boys of the CAA.
03-02-2015 02:32 PM
djnva Offline
All American

Drexel finished 9-9 in CAA play, but only 11-18 overall.

Four teams tied at 12-6 and W&M won the tiebreaker.
03-02-2015 02:58 PM
Advertisement

monarchoptimist Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU & CU
The CAA is crazy this year. The Association's tournament should be a fun watch.
03-02-2015 03:20 PM
DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

(03-02-2015 02:23 PM)monarchfan4life Wrote:  The Tribe laid an egg on Saturday against Drexel, but hopefully they can regroup and make it this year. GO Tribe!

Man I was really pulling for WM, but that looked like the Drexel of old. Crashing the glass and playing tough D. Tom hopefully gets them back on track.
03-02-2015 03:38 PM
monarx Online
Hall of Famer

Root for all the champions. Regular season champs who dont win go to the NIT, making fewer slots available. Also, if a champ doesnt win, then that means someone upset them, pushing them higher up the bubble list and possibly stealing a spot from us.
03-02-2015 03:57 PM
ODUgradstudent Offline
1st String

Excellent thread, I'll be keeping watch.
03-02-2015 04:28 PM
north beach monarch Offline
Special Teams

(03-02-2015 03:20 PM)monarchoptimist Wrote:  The CAA is crazy this year. The Association's tournament should be a fun watch.

yes it might be a fun watch - as in an interesting outcome. But it will not be very good on court hoops to watch...... some of the ugliest BB i watched this year was from the caa
03-02-2015 05:29 PM
Advertisement

N2theBlue Offline
Special Teams

After 79 years, it's time for W&M to make an appearance in the tournament. I'll be pulling for them.
03-02-2015 08:39 PM
ODUMONARCHZ1 Offline
Heisman

Re: RE: March Madness-Conference tourneys
(03-02-2015 08:39 PM)N2theBlue Wrote:  After 79 years, it's time for W&M to make an appearance in the tournament. I'll be pulling for them.

Same.
03-02-2015 08:41 PM
Monarch Homselr Offline
1st String

I'm an Indian...err, Tribe...I mean Griff fan!

Good for Mark Benson!
03-02-2015 09:23 PM
djnva Offline
All American

The A10 tourney will NOT be fun for us.

VCU and Dayton right now are top 30 RPI schools and likely pretty safe. But there are a while bunch of A10 schools that could win that thing (Davidson, URI, UMass, even UR and GW) that would take a bubble team slot away.
03-03-2015 09:44 AM
ODU_NYG Offline
All American

(03-03-2015 09:44 AM)djnva Wrote:  The A10 tourney will NOT be fun for us.

VCU and Dayton right now are top 30 RPI schools and likely pretty safe. But there are a while bunch of A10 schools that could win that thing (Davidson, URI, UMass, even UR and GW) that would take a bubble team slot away.

so we need VCU and Dayton to make the final. I don't see it happening.
03-03-2015 09:46 AM
Advertisement

djnva Offline
All American

Let's do up a "best case/worst case" chart.

There are 68 teams, and 32 automatic bids.

This is ignoring the CUSA for the time being:
Best case: 20 one bid conferences (America East, Atl. Sun, Big Sky, Big South, Big West, CAA, Horizon, Ivy, MAAC, MAC, MEAC, NE, OVC, Patriot, Southern, Southland, SWAC, Summit, Sun Belt, and WAC)

Trouble spots: MAC--Buffalo has an RPI of 33 but no top 50 wins. Their RPI is boosted by playing Kentucky and Wisconsin.

Of the other one bid conferences, no team in them has an RPI better than ODU.

So, these smaller leagues give us a best case of 20 bids, worst case of 21.

Now let's give out the best case/worse case for other leagues. Remember we've awarded 20 or 21 of the 68 bids.

AAC: best case: 1 team (SMU), worst case +3 (Tulsa, Temple, Cincy)
A10: best case: 2 teams (VCU, Dayton), worst case +2 (Davidson, dark horse tourney champ)
ACC: best case: 5 (UVA, Duke, UNC, L'Ville, ND), worst case +2 (say NC St and tourney winner--very doubtful, but this is worst case)
Big 12: best case: 5 (KU, Baylor, OU, ISU, WV), worst case +2 (OSU, UT)
Big East: best case: 4 (Nova, PC, Butler, G'Town), worst case +2 (St. John's, Xavier)
Big 10: best case: 3 (Wis, Maryland, MSU), worst case +3 (OSU, IU, Iowa)
MVC: best case: 2 (Wich St., N. Iowa), worst case +1
MW: best case: 3 (Boise, SDSU, Col St), worst case +1
PAC 12: best case: 3 (AZ, Utah, Oregon), worst case +2 (UCLA, Stanford)
SEC: best case: 3 (UK, Ark, Ga), worst case +3 (LSU, Tex A&M, Miss)
WCC: best case: 1 (Gonzaga), worst case +2 (BYU, St. Mary's/tourney winner)

So, where's that leave us?

It won't happen, but if all the best cases play out, that's 32 more bids before looking at CUSA--plus the 20 one bid leagues and that's 52 bids, leaving 16 more. If I looked at every team I listed as a possible "worst case" entrant and took every one with a higher RPI than ODU, that takes up 8 more teams. And since we're talking about an at-large bid here, we assume someone else wins the CUSA tourney, leaving 7 schools.

That's our window as of today--7 slots.

But, the last part. Our RPI will move, so we need to make 3 scenarios (all assuming we win last 2 at home).
1--Lose first CUSA tourney game--RPI projects to drop to about 47

That means 4 more teams could jump ahead of us, leaving us 3 slots. Three slots when measured against BCS-level schools with better name recognition, even if we're a better team.

2--Lose in CUSA semis--RPI would actually slightly INCREASE (2 spots in system I use) from what it is now.

3--Lose in CUSA finals--RPI would increase about 8 spots from what it is now.

Too long, didn't read: Assuming ODU wins last 2 at home and first CUSA game, and there are not more than a half-dozen schools that come out of nowhere to win tourneys (I'm talking with RPIs in the 60s or worse in bigger leagues--schools like Wake Forest, or Alabama, etc.) AND the RPI we have access to is pretty close to what committee uses AND the committee doesn't ignore it too much, I think we're in better shape than some talking heads thinks.
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2015 10:57 AM by djnva.)
03-03-2015 10:55 AM
DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

Couple years ago UConn #9th seed BE, won that and won Nat Champ.
03-03-2015 11:01 AM
djnva Offline
All American

Oh, I know it *can* happen. I just don't want it to actually happen this year :)
03-03-2015 11:05 AM
djnva Offline
All American

Conference tourneys tip-off today:

Atlantic Sun quarterfinals: no rooting interest for ODU--no team with top 100 RPI
Horizon League first round: no rooting interest for ODU--bottom 4 seeds playing
Patriot League first round: no rooting interest for ODU--bottom 4 seeds playing
03-03-2015 11:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.