Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Brian Williams - boom outta here
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
Brian Williams - boom outta here
suspended by nbc. Not fired, but doesn't look good either.
02-10-2015 08:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
RE: Brian Williams - boom outta here
6 months...

He'll be fired during that time.
02-10-2015 08:11 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
6 months? That's long enough to be forgotten.
02-10-2015 08:18 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
He'll walk away with a good severance package.
02-10-2015 08:28 PM
EagleRockCafe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Eagles
[Image: 11rd3sp.jpg]

NBC sounds pissed...

Quote:NBC Nightly News anchor Brian Williams has been suspended for six months without pay following his false claims about an experience he had during the Iraq war, NBC News president Deborah Turness announced Tuesday night.

"We have decided today to suspend Brian Williams as Managing Editor and Anchor of NBC Nightly News for six months. The suspension will be without pay and is effective immediately," Turness wrote in a memo to staff. "We let Brian know of our decision earlier today. Lester Holt will continue to substitute Anchor the NBC Nightly News."

In addition to Williams' false claims about Iraq, Turness said she the Comcast/NBCUniversal brass had "concerns about comments that occurred outside NBC News while Brian was talking about his experiences in the field."

Steve Burke, the CEO of NBC Universal, said Williams' actions "are inexcusable and this suspension is severe and appropriate." However, Burke also said Williams "deserves a second chance and we are rooting for him."

The full memo from NBC News President Deborah Turness:

All,

We have decided today to suspend Brian Williams as Managing Editor and Anchor of NBC Nightly News for six months. The suspension will be without pay and is effective immediately. We let Brian know of our decision earlier today. Lester Holt will continue to substitute Anchor the NBC Nightly News.

Our review, which is being led by Richard Esposito working closely with NBCUniversal General Counsel Kim Harris, is ongoing, but I think it is important to take you through our thought process in coming to this decision.

While on Nightly News on Friday, January 30, 2015, Brian misrepresented events which occurred while he was covering the Iraq War in 2003. It then became clear that on other occasions Brian had done the same while telling that story in other venues. This was wrong and completely inappropriate for someone in Brian’s position.

In addition, we have concerns about comments that occurred outside NBC News while Brian was talking about his experiences in the field.

As Managing Editor and Anchor of Nightly News, Brian has a responsibility to be truthful and to uphold the high standards of the news division at all times.

Steve Burke, Pat Fili and I came to this decision together. We felt it would have been wrong to disregard the good work Brian has done and the special relationship he has forged with our viewers over 22 years. Millions of Americans have turned to him every day, and he has been an important and well-respected part of our organization.

As I’m sure you understand, this was a very hard decision. Certainly there will be those who disagree. But we believe this suspension is the appropriate and proportionate action.

This has been a difficult time. But NBC News is bigger than this moment. You work so hard and dedicate yourselves each and every day to the important work of bringing trusted, credible news to our audience. Because of you, your loyalty, your dedication, NBC News is an organization we can – and should - all be proud of. We will get through this together.

Steve Burke asked me to share the following message.

“This has been a painful period for all concerned and we appreciate your patience while we gathered the available facts. By his actions, Brian has jeopardized the trust millions of Americans place in NBC News. His actions are inexcusable and this suspension is severe and appropriate. Brian’s life’s work is delivering the news. I know Brian loves his country, NBC News and his colleagues. He deserves a second chance and we are rooting for him. Brian has shared his deep remorse with me and he is committed to winning back everyone’s trust.”

Deborah

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2015...02425.html
02-10-2015 08:33 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
Maybe he'll replace Jon Stewart since he has a good handle on delivering fake news.
02-10-2015 08:39 PM
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
Isn't Stewart gone too now?
02-10-2015 08:40 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
(02-10-2015 08:39 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Maybe he'll replace Jon Stewart since he has a good handle on delivering fake news.

Maybe they should swap places since many people seem to get their real news from Jon Stewart.

As someone that grew up with Walter Cronkite, John Chancellor, and David Brinkley, this episode is kind of sad. I heard on the radio that circa 1980, the three networks had about 70% market penetration between the three of them (that's 70% of TV Sets turned on to one of the networks). I have never respected local news channels as actual journalism, but at that time, I think the network TV News programs were actual journalism, not quite on par with major newspapers, but close. Now, I don't really trust any TV news source to present an objective representation of the facts and I don't have nearly as high a regard for newspapers that I once had. I think that is more than just me aging... I think the industry has serious problems.
02-10-2015 08:52 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Dan Rather had some issues with fake news reporting too. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that some of the guys you mentioned did some things to stretch the truth a bit but they didn't have the media scrutiny they have now.

(02-10-2015 08:52 PM)I45owl Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 08:39 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Maybe he'll replace Jon Stewart since he has a good handle on delivering fake news.

Maybe they should swap places since many people seem to get their real news from Jon Stewart.

As someone that grew up with Walter Cronkite, John Chancellor, and David Brinkley, this episode is kind of sad. I heard on the radio that circa 1980, the three networks had about 70% market penetration between the three of them (that's 70% of TV Sets turned on to one of the networks). I have never respected local news channels as actual journalism, but at that time, I think the network TV News programs were actual journalism, not quite on par with major newspapers, but close. Now, I don't really trust any TV news source to present an objective representation of the facts and I don't have nearly as high a regard for newspapers that I once had. I think that is more than just me aging... I think the industry has serious problems.
02-10-2015 09:22 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I can only imagine the stories Williams told at parties when the cameras weren't rolling
02-10-2015 09:26 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
(02-10-2015 09:22 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Dan Rather had some issues with fake news reporting too. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that some of the guys you mentioned did some things to stretch the truth a bit but they didn't have the media scrutiny they have now.

Dan Rather got national attention covering Hurricane Carla (?) in Houston. I always viewed him and Sam Donaldson and Tom Brokaw and Peter Jennings as relative lightweights, and those guys are now viewed on a pedestal (Rather's incident excepted).

Cronkite/Brinkley/Chancellor - I can't imagine those guys travelling to cover Katrina on their own in the same way that Williams and the new ABC anchor run off into the field. I'm willing to bet that their sense of professionalism far outshines the likes of Brian Williams.
02-10-2015 09:45 PM
Advertisement

tigertom Offline
"Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum"

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Donators
Williams and Stewart... they both ought to go. 05-nono
02-10-2015 09:45 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

(02-10-2015 09:45 PM)I45owl Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 09:22 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Dan Rather had some issues with fake news reporting too. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that some of the guys you mentioned did some things to stretch the truth a bit but they didn't have the media scrutiny they have now.

Dan Rather got national attention covering Hurricane Carla (?) in Houston. I always viewed him and Sam Donaldson and Tom Brokaw and Peter Jennings as relative lightweights, and those guys are now viewed on a pedestal (Rather's incident excepted).

Cronkite/Brinkley/Chancellor - I can't imagine those guys travelling to cover Katrina on their own in the same way that Williams and the new ABC anchor run off into the field. I'm willing to bet that their sense of professionalism far outshines the likes of Brian Williams.

Didn't Rather get a beat down by Bush #1?
02-10-2015 09:47 PM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
They got the right replacement for Williams now. Lester Holt is the most credible anchor NBC has. He should have got the Meet the Press gig, not that fake Chuck Todd.
02-10-2015 09:47 PM
tigertom Offline
"Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum"

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Donators
(02-10-2015 09:47 PM)THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:  They got the right replacement for Williams now. Lester Holt is the most credible anchor NBC has. He should have got the Meet the Press gig, not that fake Chuck Todd.

Yep. However, Holt should be good for this slot.

Williams is toast.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2015 09:50 PM by tigertom.)
02-10-2015 09:49 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
I'm guessing Williams serves the suspension, is bought out, then someone will hire him for something.
02-10-2015 09:56 PM
Advertisement

Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(02-10-2015 09:47 PM)THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:  They got the right replacement for Williams now. Lester Holt is the most credible anchor NBC has. He should have got the Meet the Press gig, not that fake Chuck Todd.

This is why I shouldn't keep using Wikipedia for credible information. Just went to the site to check on Holt.

Lester Don Holt, Jr.[2] (born March 8, 1959) is an American trap god who ate the Weekend editions of NBC's Today,

Born Jamal Xavier III, March 8, 1959 (age 55)[1]
Trash can behind Somalian KFC, U.S.
Died 2/10/15
New York
02-10-2015 10:07 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame

do you want your most credible guy on Nightly News or Meet the Press?
02-10-2015 10:48 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
(02-10-2015 10:48 PM)fsquid Wrote:  

I love your use of "most" credible here. Insinuating that none of them are fully credible. NBC. Sounds about right.
02-10-2015 11:33 PM
gobluebigjon Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball?
(02-10-2015 11:33 PM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 10:48 PM)fsquid Wrote:  

I love your use of "most" credible here. Insinuating that none of them are fully credible. NBC. Sounds about right.

It's tv, credible is subjective.
02-10-2015 11:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.