Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

We are going to be good next year...stay AN
Bookmark and Share
ItsDude Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
We are going to be good next year...stay AN
If Nichols stays....the 2 Lawsons.......I can't wait.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2015 09:52 PM by ItsDude.)
02-07-2015 09:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Ramen_Tiger Offline
Banned

I Root For: Memphis
RE: We are going to be good next year...stay AN
Yes we will be!!! Miserable a stay off this thread
02-07-2015 09:52 PM
springcat Offline
All American

Rephrase....We are going to be good next year IF you stay AN
02-07-2015 10:30 PM
MemphisTiger15 Offline
Banned

I Root For: an AAC 'ship
(02-07-2015 10:30 PM)springcat Wrote:  Rephrase....We are going to be good next year IF you stay AN

and IF we have a different coach
02-07-2015 10:32 PM
T-County Tiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Who will be our PG?

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk
02-07-2015 10:41 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
(02-07-2015 10:32 PM)MemphisTiger15 Wrote:  
(02-07-2015 10:30 PM)springcat Wrote:  Rephrase....We are going to be good next year IF you stay AN

He upsets the miserables...I like that about him. 07-coffee3
02-07-2015 11:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FORealTigerFan Offline
Say What?

I Root For: Beer
Even better if Josh takes another job!
02-07-2015 11:28 PM
tigers1985 Offline
Spectacular

I Root For: Tigers
DonatorsDonators
Problem is, we should have been good in 12-13 and 13-14. Yes, we should be good next year, but how likely is it really?
02-08-2015 12:21 AM
Tigermaniac Offline
BBB Enthusiast

I Root For: Memphis/Army
(02-08-2015 12:21 AM)tigers1985 Wrote:  Problem is, we should have been good in 12-13 and 13-14. Yes, we should be good next year, but how likely is it really?

We were good those years. We just weren't as good as we should have been.
02-08-2015 02:15 AM
Tiger Greg Offline
1st String

(02-08-2015 02:15 AM)Tigermaniac Wrote:  
(02-08-2015 12:21 AM)tigers1985 Wrote:  Problem is, we should have been good in 12-13 and 13-14. Yes, we should be good next year, but how likely is it really?

Were good, period. Just not great.
02-08-2015 02:19 AM
Memp400Kng Offline
All American

I Root For: Tigers
(02-07-2015 11:28 PM)FORealTigerFan Wrote:  Even better if Josh takes another job!

Indeed.

"Good" under Pastner's watch have been a buzzer-beater victory over St. Mary's followed by a blowout by a "real" team.
02-08-2015 09:21 AM
Advertisement

Memphis Bunch Offline
Banned

(02-07-2015 09:51 PM)ItsDude Wrote:  If Nichols stays....the 2 Lawsons.......I can't wait.

Serious question where is Austin going? He's not transferring to sit out a year. He's not going to the NBA so I doubt he will leave to go to the developmental league. Nichols is a good college player but has a lot of work to do just to get drafted

Lastly Nichols has two years left. If he has a real coach next year we will be good. If not we will be a top 50 team but that's it. That's what you get with Pastner a fringe top 50 team. Glad we pay him what we do. I can't imagine where this program would be without Pastner.
02-08-2015 09:22 AM
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Close Games

Donators
(02-08-2015 02:19 AM)Tiger Greg Wrote:  
(02-08-2015 02:15 AM)Tigermaniac Wrote:  

Were good, period. Just not great.

The expectation for those years, particularly Joe's junior and senior years was for the team to get to the S16 and maybe beyond. They got crushed in both round of. 32 games; not even really competitive.
02-08-2015 09:25 AM
80sTiger Offline
Why Am I Stuck on 'Water Engineer' ?

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
We're not good. Just some better than we were at the beginning of the season.
02-08-2015 09:42 AM
MemTiger90 Offline
All American

We should have been "really good next year!!" like 3 years already. But we weren't. Why? Hmmm..
02-08-2015 10:16 AM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness

I recognize the miserables like to troll and infect all threads...and this is a good one.

We were good in those years. Really good. Short of great, which is the root of the problem for many.

This is less aimed at this individual piece of bait, but a general statement...the idea that really good but ultimately short is a ceiling for this coach is well stated. We get it. And convincing people on this message board one way or the other is irrelevant, as this is just an extra forum for Tiger fans...hopefully outside of going to games etc...

There are still a handful of posters remaining above the swill...although dwindling.

Team should indeed be really good next season...maybe great. Even the small errors the kids make this year will be cut back and a game like yesterday will not be as close, such that an injured player made a difference. And even this year' steam, for all its apparent hideousness, was overwhelmingly an Austin Nichols injury away from withstanding a Temple rally, and building the lead back up..and holding that lead.
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2015 10:23 AM by Mimi.)
02-08-2015 10:22 AM
Advertisement

bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

Donators
(02-07-2015 10:32 PM)MemphisTiger15 Wrote:  

Imagine what Pearl could do with the Lawsons.
02-08-2015 10:24 AM
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

Donators
(02-08-2015 10:22 AM)Mimi Wrote:  

I recognize the miserables like to troll and infect all threads...and this is a good one.

We were good in those years. Really good. Short of great, which is the root of the problem for many.

This is less aimed at this individual piece of bait, but a general statement...the idea that really good but ultimately short is a ceiling for this coach is well stated. We get it. And convincing people on this message board one way or the other is irrelevant, as this is just an extra forum for Tiger fans...hopefully outside of going to games etc...

There are still a handful of posters remaining above the swill...although dwindling.

Team should indeed be really good next season...maybe great. Even the small errors the kids make this year will be cut back and a game like yesterday will not be as close, such that an injured player made a difference. And even this year' steam, for all its apparent hideousness, was overwhelmingly an Austin Nichols injury away from withstanding a Temple rally, and building the lead back up..and holding that lead.

Mimi,

I hear you and you may be right. However. I've lost confidence in Pastner's ability to manage a team and manage a roster.

He skipped too many steps between third assistant and head coach of a major D1 program. It's a hard enough job when you didn't cut class. There are too many lessons he didn't (and hasn't) learned and beginning last season he became super hard headed.

Real companies don't promote a junior executive straight to the 'corner office' and that's exactly what happened.

For those who say, 'nobody wanted the job' I still say bull BUT even assuming that you're right it still doesn't mean we don't need to correct the mistake.

However good next years team will be IMO they will fall short of that level with Pastner at the helm. Outside of year 1, the one constant under Pastner has been falling somewhat short of expectations. It's time to give someone else a shot.
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2015 10:36 AM by bluebacker.)
02-08-2015 10:34 AM
George Can'tStandYa Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
The upside of our point guard play on this team is limited. Meaning even if they play their version of "great" we still are probably not a top 25 team. We have to upgrade at the PG spot to have a shot at being where we want to be and the options there seem few and far between. Adjust definitions accordingly.
02-08-2015 10:37 AM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
Wow.

A real reasoned post.

Yes...that stance has been made, often nastily, over and over. I have even summarized that exact take many many times.

But yes, perhaps the idea that the team has indeed been good but unable to get over that hump is due to Pastner's overall lack of ability to get them there. That is certainly possible.

That fact however is not a good reason to have turned this Tiger fan site over to Utk style bashing of our own. Which it has.

The interesting thing is how quickly the narrative changes. Heading into last season, there was recognition that the teams had been good but short of great, having lost against all ranked opponents.

Then last season the team beat not just a ranked opponent, but FIVE of them. Page turned, but team suffered a few too many big losses, so THAT became the new narrative.

Short of Sweet Sixteen goes along with that.

All likely true. But many recognize that and still enjoy supporting our school...the athletic issues fully part of the package. It is still a shame that a once decent site has fostered that...a rare pleasant response among the dozens of mocking nasty pieces of garbage notwithstanding.

...to work.
02-08-2015 10:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.