Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Alabama goes full George Wallace on Marriage Equality
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
Alabama goes full George Wallace on Marriage Equality
Today, the probate court association of Alabama issued a statement instructing its members to violate Judge Ginny's ruling declaring Alabama's ban on same sex marriage unconstitutional.

This was tried in Florida, but was frustrated by the fact that several County Clerks openly defied the state association. Unfortunately, in Alabama, a state which doesn't require most of its Probate Judges to even hold law degrees (!), its unlikely that there will be political cover for someone obeying the law.

My guess is that this is going to be a full employment act for Alabama's liberal lawyers come Monday. Need some money for legal fees? Time to find a couple and sue the County. The County will probably lose and then they'll probably have to pay you your fees. And I think there could be any number of lawsuits that could be pursued in this matter. File a lawsuit against the county for not issuing a license. Then turn around and file a lawsuit over drivers licenses for Alabamians with out of state marriages who are denied the ability to use their married names on their driver's licenses. Married and work for the state government? You can file a lawsuit over denial of spousal benefits (actual damages too). Alabama's lawyers should get creative. There are over 1200 benefits of marriage. Lets see how many lawsuits can be generated by this.

File, baby, file. I think that the solution here, is that if Alabama wants to go "Full George Wallace", is to bury the state and counties with an avalanche of litigation

And the nullifiers in Alabama's government have little chance of prevailing, barring a stay by the court.

Money quote from the ruling "IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that ALA. CONST. ART. I, § 36.03 (2006) and ALA. CODE 1975 § 30-1-19 are unconstitutional because they violate they Due Process Clause and the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.
IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that the defendant is enjoined from enforcing those laws." I don't think the fact that the named defendant is the Alabama Attorney General rather than each of Alabama's 67 probate judges should matter in this case. But hey, lets sue all of them. Individually, with separate lawyers, separate plaintiffs etc. IIRC, Alabama also has some rulings (I think one was from Dauphin Island) allowing for personal lawsuits against government officials too in the case of Civil Rights violations. That could be interesting too. Sue the Probate Judges, personally.

Most likely, Judge Ginny (an appointee of George W Bush whose nomination was supported by liberals like Sen Jeff Sessions and Sen Richard Shelby) will have to get involved here.
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2015 12:27 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
01-25-2015 12:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

I Root For: UCONN
RE: Alabama goes full George Wallace on Marriage Equality
TROLL THREAD!!!!!!!
01-25-2015 12:35 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
The right of juries to nullify laws has been upheld by the SCOTUS. This is another thing entirely IMO. It will be interesting to see what happens.
01-25-2015 01:34 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
it's almost impossible to override the Supreme Court (unless you alter the constitution)...so this will be all worked out in a few months.
01-25-2015 01:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

Justice delayed is justice denied. Monday will be very interesting.
01-25-2015 01:41 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(01-25-2015 01:41 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Justice delayed is justice denied. Monday will be very interesting.

We probably disagree on what the "justice" entails here..but...Yes.
01-25-2015 01:45 PM
Advertisement

DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

(01-25-2015 01:38 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  it's almost impossible to override the Supreme Court (unless you alter the constitution)...so this will be all worked out in a few months.

Why do you care so much what happens in a gay couple's bedroom? After all, you said we "righties" shouldn't concern ourselves with what happens in the bedroom. Shouldn't you practice what you preach?
01-25-2015 01:53 PM
UofMemphis Away

Donators
(01-25-2015 01:53 PM)DefCONNOne Wrote:  
(01-25-2015 01:38 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  it's almost impossible to override the Supreme Court (unless you alter the constitution)...so this will be all worked out in a few months.

Why do you care so much what happens in a gay couple's bedroom? After all, you said we "righties" shouldn't concern ourselves with what happens in the bedroom. Shouldn't you practice what you preach?

what does marriage rights have to do with your ramblings about gay sex?

you seem to think about it an awful lot...I simply care about equal rights.
01-25-2015 01:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

(01-25-2015 01:58 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  

First of all, it's special rights they want, not equal. And I don't care about it at all, you do. You've preached ad nauseum that us "righties" shouldn't care what happens in a gay couple's bedroom, yet you can't stop posting about it.
01-25-2015 02:14 PM
UofMemphis Away

Donators
(01-25-2015 02:14 PM)DefCONNOne Wrote:  

First of all, it's special rights they want, not equal. And I don't care about it at all, you do. You've preached ad nauseum that us "righties" shouldn't care what happens in a gay couple's bedroom, yet you can't stop posting about it.

"First of all, it's special rights they want, not equal"

not your call, sunshine. 07-coffee3

"You've preached ad nauseum that us "righties" shouldn't care what happens in a gay couple's bedroom, yet you can't stop posting about it."

which has nothing to do with marriage rights....yet here you are rambling about it...sure looks like you're the one who can't stop posting about it....
01-25-2015 02:25 PM
DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

(01-25-2015 02:25 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  

"You've preached ad nauseum that us "righties" shouldn't care what happens in a gay couple's bedroom, yet you can't stop posting about it."

which has nothing to do with marriage rights....yet here you are rambling about it...sure looks like you're the one who can't stop posting about it....

Not yours, either. Doesn't change the fact that gays have all the rights straights have.....and more. Thus, they've got special rights and want more special rights.

I see you're still obsessed with what happens in a gay couples bedroom. You still haven't answered why you care so much.
01-25-2015 02:31 PM
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away

Donators
(01-25-2015 02:31 PM)DefCONNOne Wrote:  
(01-25-2015 02:25 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  
(01-25-2015 01:53 PM)DefCONNOne Wrote:  Why do you care so much what happens in a gay couple's bedroom? After all, you said we "righties" shouldn't concern ourselves with what happens in the bedroom. Shouldn't you practice what you preach?

Not yours, either. Doesn't change the fact that gays have all the rights straights have.....and more. Thus, they've got special rights and want more special rights.

I see you're still obsessed with what happens in a gay couples bedroom. You still haven't answered why you care so much.

perhaps that's why I said, and I quote: "so this will be all worked out in a few months."

I never said it was my call.

"I see you're still obsessed with what happens in a gay couples bedroom. You still haven't answered why you care so much."

yet you're the only one who keeps bringing it up...glad to see I've upset you so very much.
01-25-2015 02:41 PM
maximus Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
It's despicable every time gay people and the left compare this tiresome bull **** to blacks civil rights.

STFU already
01-25-2015 05:02 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

Update...Montgomery County Probate Judge Reed will be issuing marriage licenses to same sex applicants tomorrow, barring a stay. So will Jefferson County Probate Judge Coleman. No word yet from Mobile, Shelby, or Baldwin.
01-25-2015 05:09 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
(01-25-2015 05:09 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Update...Montgomery County Probate Judge Reed will be issuing marriage licenses to same sex applicants tomorrow, barring a stay. So will Jefferson County Probate Judge Coleman. No word yet from Mobile, Shelby, or Baldwin.

Whatever blows Their Skirts Up !
01-25-2015 06:30 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
Let's get this done so the left can move on to lowering the age of consent.
01-25-2015 06:33 PM
Advertisement

CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
(01-25-2015 06:33 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  Let's get this done so the left can move on to lowering the age of consent.

What are They talking ? 6,7,8,9.................?
01-25-2015 06:35 PM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
I find this amusing. Had they never passed the gay marriage bans, there would have been no law to attack. Out smarted.
01-25-2015 06:46 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
(01-25-2015 06:35 PM)CardFan1 Wrote:  
(01-25-2015 06:33 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  Let's get this done so the left can move on to lowering the age of consent.

I've read some wacky things out of California ... lowering the voting age to 16 ... lowering the age of consent to 14 ...

The left never rests.
01-25-2015 06:50 PM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(01-25-2015 06:50 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  
(01-25-2015 06:35 PM)CardFan1 Wrote:  

I've read some wacky things out of California ... lowering the voting age to 16 ... lowering the age of consent to 14 ...

The left never rests.

People used to get married at 14.
01-25-2015 07:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.