Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

What have you done for me lately.
Bookmark and Share
83msu Offline
All American

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS!
How true. Fans seem to forget that Josh is ethical, involved in the community, cares about this program deeply, cares about the players and wants them to be good men. He has given players a chance that no one else would. Johnson/Dixon and the ones that imploded at Ole Miss and Tn. He must and should discipline players who break rules. And it doesn't need to be discussed publicly. He beat L'ville twice last year. He has graduated players in record numbers making it a priority.

Am I concerned about the program? Yes. Its been my joy and heartbreak since 1970. But this piling on and venom hurts everything about Tiger BB. Its so easy to condemn behind social media. And I am unclear on the "he makes 2.6 million." Would you turn it down if it were you? Blame the admin for that one..not Pastner.
01-08-2015 09:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ndq1125 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MEMPHIS
RE: What have you done for me lately.
Sounds like a life coach who knows a liitle about basketball Josh is a good guy but a bad coach Calipari is a baf guy but a good coach.

Coaching is more than X's and O's you have to reach your player and get them to trust you no matter what and Josh hasnt done that ever
01-08-2015 09:59 AM
hopeum Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tiger basketbal
Josh is paid to win basketball games.

There are a ton of good people in this town already that have middle class incomes. Josh should make about $75,000 a year if he is ONLY going to be an ambassador for the city.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2015 10:08 AM by hopeum.)
01-08-2015 10:06 AM
TiminMem23 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
First thought: It's possible to be respected and a good coach at the same time. See Tommy Izzo and Michael Krzyzewski. Clearly those are two of the best in the game, and it's not necessarily fair to compare Pastner to them. But you get the point.

Second thought: I read Calkins' column. He is so lazy. All he did was state the obvious: when you win, people praise you for just about everything; when you lose, they will criticize you for just about everything. We all know this is how sports works. Don't need Geoff to point that out. What I would like for a reporter to do is start digging deeper and compiling stats on all the players under Pastner's regime who have been suspended or dismissed. How does that compare to another program over a similar time frame? Clearly suspensions and dismissals are not unique to Memphis bball, but are there more here than other places. Does it seem to a problem?
01-08-2015 10:08 AM
83msu Offline
All American

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS!
(01-08-2015 09:59 AM)ndq1125 Wrote:  Sounds like a life coach who knows a liitle about basketball Josh is a good guy but a bad coach Calipari is a baf guy but a good coach.

Coaching is more than X's and O's you have to reach your player and get them to trust you no matter what and Josh hasnt done that ever

I know he's a very good person and that is one reason I wanted him to succeed. It will play itself out one way or another.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2015 10:47 AM by 83msu.)
01-08-2015 10:12 AM
Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

(01-08-2015 10:12 AM)83msu Wrote:  
(01-08-2015 09:59 AM)ndq1125 Wrote:  Sounds like a life coach who knows a liitle about basketball Josh is a good guy but a bad coach Calipari is a baf guy but a good coach.

I know he a very good person and that is one reason I wanted him to succeed. It will play itself out one way or another.

Well if that unlikely event of Pastner's dismissal happens after the season, he'll get a big enough severance to live comfortably the rest of his life, he can settle in Memphis permanently, get a six figure job as a media personality with ESPN, Fox, or CBS, spend his free time working for local non-profits, and become a spokesperson for the Liberty Bowl. All that allows him to be the personality he is so wonderful at being.

And we can find us a coach who has a decent and realistic shot at the final four.
01-08-2015 10:37 AM
Advertisement

HoopDreams Offline
Better Than Diamond Rings

I Root For: EXPECTATIONS
Win big or go home.
01-08-2015 10:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
450bench Offline

Josh does some things well, certainly. Coaching is not one of them and that's what he's paid to do. I hope we have a new head basketball coach next year.
01-08-2015 10:47 AM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(01-08-2015 09:54 AM)83msu Wrote:  How true. Fans seem to forget that Josh is ethical, involved in the community, cares about this program deeply, cares about the players and wants them to be good men. He has given players a chance that no one else would. Johnson/Dixon and the ones that imploded at Ole Miss and Tn. He must and should discipline players who break rules. And it doesn't need to be discussed publicly. He beat L'ville twice last year. He has graduated players in record numbers making it a priority.

Am I concerned about the program? Yes. Its been my joy and heartbreak since 1970. But this piling on and venom hurts everything about Tiger BB. Its so easy to condemn behind social media. And I am unclear on the "he makes 2.6 million." Would you turn it down if it were you? Blame the admin for that one..not Pastner.

When we don't overpay we end up with Tic Price, and fighting over superstars like Steve Robinson and Ricardo Patton.
01-08-2015 10:59 AM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(01-08-2015 10:38 AM)HoopDreams Wrote:  Win big or go home.

Nice to see you back Bugsy. Your "we are a top 15 program" no excuses, win big solution is Bobby Hurley. What a visionary.

LMAO.
01-08-2015 11:07 AM
RekeHavoc Offline
#DoIt4Dez

(01-08-2015 10:59 AM)Stammers Wrote:  
(01-08-2015 09:54 AM)83msu Wrote:  How true. Fans seem to forget that Josh is ethical, involved in the community, cares about this program deeply, cares about the players and wants them to be good men. He has given players a chance that no one else would. Johnson/Dixon and the ones that imploded at Ole Miss and Tn. He must and should discipline players who break rules. And it doesn't need to be discussed publicly. He beat L'ville twice last year. He has graduated players in record numbers making it a priority.

When we don't overpay we end up with Tic Price, and fighting over superstars like Steve Robinson and Ricardo Patton.

And when we DO overpay, we end up with JP. 03-yawn
01-08-2015 11:07 AM
Advertisement

Stammers Offline
Legend

(01-08-2015 11:07 AM)RekeHavoc Wrote:  

We tried overpaying mediocre coaches like Leonard Hamilton and Tim Floyd, and they turned us down. Sean Miller, Pitino, and Mike Anderson laughed at us. We almost overpaid Scott Drew; who hasn't sniffed another offer in 12 years.

Guys like you are funny.
01-08-2015 11:11 AM
RekeHavoc Offline
#DoIt4Dez

(01-08-2015 11:11 AM)Stammers Wrote:  

We tried overpaying mediocre coaches like Leonard Hamilton and Tim Floyd, and they turned us down. Sean Miller, Pitino, and Mike Anderson laughed at us. We almost overpaid Scott Drew; who hasn't sniffed another offer in 12 years.

Guys like you are funny.

RC is no longer here. It is also no longer 2009.
01-08-2015 11:17 AM
450bench Offline

Following Pastner is light years different than following Cal. It's apples and oranges. It's comparing a Rolex to a Cracker Jack toy.
01-08-2015 11:18 AM
HoopDreams Offline

(01-08-2015 11:07 AM)Stammers Wrote:  

Nice to see you back Bugsy. Your "we are a top 15 program" no excuses, win big solution is Bobby Hurley. What a visionary.

LMAO.

You're right, my bad.

We should stick with a third assistant who's best attribute WAS recruiting, but now he cannot even do that anymore.

All we have to do is make more shots than the other teams anyway.

SMGDH
01-08-2015 11:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stammers Offline
Legend

(01-08-2015 11:17 AM)RekeHavoc Wrote:  

Guys like you are funny.

I guess RC has taken turns running the show at Missouri, Arkansas, Marquette, Purdue, LSU, Texas A&M, Kentucky, Xavier, St. Johns, NC State, etc.
01-08-2015 11:21 AM
Advertisement

Easterwood Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(01-08-2015 11:21 AM)Stammers Wrote:  
(01-08-2015 10:59 AM)Stammers Wrote:  When we don't overpay we end up with Tic Price, and fighting over superstars like Steve Robinson and Ricardo Patton.

Guys like you are funny.

I guess RC has taken turns running the show at Missouri, Arkansas, Marquette, Purdue, LSU, Texas A&M, Kentucky, Xavier, St. Johns, NC State, etc.

What does any of this have to do with our basketball team being dysfunctional?
01-08-2015 11:23 AM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(01-08-2015 11:19 AM)HoopDreams Wrote:  

LMAO.

You're right, my bad.

We should stick with a third assistant who's best attribute WAS recruiting, but now he cannot even do that anymore.

SMGDH

Your solution for a top 15 program where ANY coach can "win big" is to hire a coach with one year of experience at Buffalo. You would be happy with this. Then you will expect him to "win big or go home," no excuses.

Seems that you have delusions of grandeur and an inferiority complex at the same time. Makes perfect sense. Pretty funny stuff Bugsy.
01-08-2015 11:25 AM
HoopDreams Offline

(01-08-2015 11:25 AM)Stammers Wrote:  
(01-08-2015 11:19 AM)HoopDreams Wrote:  

LMAO.

You're right, my bad.

SMGDH

Your solution for a top 15 program where ANY coach can "win big" is to hire a coach with one year of experience at Buffalo. You would be happy with this. Then you will expect him to "win big or go home," no excuses.

Seems that you have delusions of grandeur and an inferiority complex at the same time. Makes perfect sense. Pretty funny stuff Bugsy.

Actually, I'd give Hurley 6 years.

I'd bet we'd be closer to the Sweet 16 than the CBI/CIT.

NEXT
01-08-2015 11:27 AM
tigers311 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Truth
(01-08-2015 11:23 AM)Easterwood Wrote:  
(01-08-2015 11:21 AM)Stammers Wrote:  
(01-08-2015 11:07 AM)RekeHavoc Wrote:  And when we DO overpay, we end up with JP. 03-yawn

Guys like you are funny.

What does any of this have to do with our basketball team being dysfunctional?

I know right. He loves talking about other programs.
01-08-2015 11:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.