Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Did you know? (Things ESPN might have a hard time explaining)
TheEastisPurple Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB Football
OT: Did you know? (Things ESPN might have a hard time explaining)
The ACC was 4-1 vs the SEC in the regular season and 5-3 against the SEC including bowl games?

FSU is the only team in the country without a loss?

Alabama played WVU (7-6), FAU (3-9), USM (3-9) and Western Carolina (7-5 FCS) OOC while FSU played Oklahoma State (6-6), Notre Dame (8-5), Florida (6-5), and the Citadel (5-7) OOC?

Notre Dame (probably FSU's 4th best win) defeated LSU (Alabama's 4th best win by ranking) in the Music City Bowl?

Georgia Tech (FSU's best win by ranking) defeated Mississippi State (Alabama's best win by ranking) in the Orange Bowl?

TCU (2nd best Big 12 team by ranking) defeated Mississippi (2nd best SEC team by ranking) 42-3 in the Peach Bowl?

The SEC had a losing record vs OOC P5 teams (5-6) at the end of the 2014 regular season? Only half a game better than the Big 12 (4-6)?

The top 3 teams in the SEC West (proclaimed all year to be far superior not only to any other division but to any other conference) had 1 win against an OOC P5 opponent in the regular season? (Alabama 33 - WVU 23)

At this point those top 3 SEC West teams are 0-2 in bowl games with losses to Georgia Tech by 15 points (from the ACC which we all know is a weak conference and FSU barely deserves to be in the playoff) and to TCU by 39 points (from the Big 12 which didn't have a team make the playoff)?

I have to give ESPN and the Committee credit, they do a great job of convincing the public of whatever they want with basically zero evidence to back it up.
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2015 01:54 PM by TheEastisPurple.)
01-01-2015 01:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PirateJim Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU/Underdogs
RE: OT: Did you know?
The best conference is the one espn tells us is the best. Didn't you know that?
01-01-2015 01:29 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
RE: OT: Did you know?
(01-01-2015 01:25 PM)TheEastisPurple Wrote:  The top 3 teams in the SEC West (proclaimed all year to be far superior not only to any other division but to any other conference) had 1 win against an OOC P5 opponent in the regular season? (Alabama 33 - WVU 23)

Ole Miss and Miss. State played NO P5 out of conference teams.
OOC Games, Ole Miss: Boise State, LA-Lafayette, Memphis and Presbyterian (FCS)
OOC Games, Miss. St: S. Miss., UAB, S. Alabama, UT-Martin

I don't know what MSU is going to do now that UAB has dropped football! Memphis and UCF played nearly as tough a schedule as Miss. State; ECU may have played a tougher schedule.
01-01-2015 01:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BIgCatonProwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston Cougars
RE: OT: Did you know? (Things ESPN might have a hard time explaining)
(01-01-2015 01:25 PM)TheEastisPurple Wrote:  The ACC was 4-1 vs the SEC in the regular season and 5-3 against the SEC including bowl games?

FSU is the only team in the country without a loss?

Alabama played WVU (7-6), FAU (3-9), USM (3-9) and Western Carolina (7-5 FCS) OOC while FSU played Oklahoma State (6-6), Notre Dame (8-5), Florida (6-5), and the Citadel (5-7) OOC?

Notre Dame (probably FSU's 4th best win) defeated LSU (Alabama's 4th best win by ranking) in the Music City Bowl?

Georgia Tech (FSU's best win by ranking) defeated Mississippi State (Alabama's best win by ranking) in the Orange Bowl?

TCU (2nd best Big 12 team by ranking) defeated Mississippi (2nd best SEC team by ranking) 42-3 in the Peach Bowl?

The SEC had a losing record vs OOC P5 teams (5-6) at the end of the 2014 regular season? Only half a game better than the Big 12 (4-6)?

The top 3 teams in the SEC West (proclaimed all year to be far superior not only to any other division but to any other conference) had 1 win against an OOC P5 opponent in the regular season? (Alabama 33 - WVU 23)

At this point those top 3 SEC West teams are 0-2 in bowl games with losses to Georgia Tech by 15 points (from the ACC which we all know is a weak conference and FSU barely deserves to be in the playoff) and to TCU by 39 points (from the Big 12 which didn't have a team make the playoff)?

I have to give ESPN and the Committee credit, they do a great job of convincing the public of whatever they want with basically zero evidence to back it up.

SEC has made to be head and shoulders above the other major conferences by the media hype, but they are not as exhibited by there head to head bowl record and season record outside their conference. All so I think there is the Alabama effect as I'll call it, or halo on the conference that's rubbing off on the conference.
01-01-2015 02:17 PM
TheEastisPurple Offline
Heisman

(01-01-2015 03:35 PM)DowdyPirate Wrote:  
(01-01-2015 01:42 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(01-01-2015 01:25 PM)TheEastisPurple Wrote:  The top 3 teams in the SEC West (proclaimed all year to be far superior not only to any other division but to any other conference) had 1 win against an OOC P5 opponent in the regular season? (Alabama 33 - WVU 23)

I don't know what MSU is going to do now that UAB has dropped football! Memphis and UCF played nearly as tough a schedule as Miss. State; ECU may have played a tougher schedule.
You can't be serious. Every AAC team played a tougher OOC than MSU.

He didn't say OOC.
01-01-2015 03:37 PM
DowdyPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
(01-01-2015 03:37 PM)TheEastisPurple Wrote:  
(01-01-2015 03:35 PM)DowdyPirate Wrote:  

You can't be serious. Every AAC team played a tougher OOC than MSU.

He didn't say OOC.
My fault disregard my post
01-01-2015 03:38 PM
Advertisement

sfink16 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
To be fair, this is an anomaly this particular year. As us old Big East fans would say, the Big East had a very good record against the ACC in BCS bowl games. The ACC's reputation hasn't recovered just yet. Past reputation will stay current until proven wrong over a period of time. Hopefully the perceived SEC dominance days are winding down.
01-01-2015 03:56 PM
USFRamenu Away
Enthusiast

I Root For: South Florida
(01-01-2015 03:56 PM)sfink16 Wrote:  To be fair, this is an anomaly this particular year. As us old Big East fans would say, the Big East had a very good record against the ACC in BCS bowl games. The ACC's reputation hasn't recovered just yet. Past reputation will stay current until proven wrong over a period of time. Hopefully the perceived SEC dominance days are winding down.

Wrong, the best conference is as the OP states, it's whatever ESPN says.

The old Big East as you've stated had a very good record vs the ACC over a prolonged period however, it was constantly portrayed as a crap conference year in and year out. Perception is whatever, ESPN says it is. 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2015 04:29 PM by USFRamenu.)
01-01-2015 04:29 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
Hopefully 2015 is the year people stop complaining about everything ESPN does and what they don't like about it. That said, it's not a good start.

You don't have to watch it, it's not a virtual monopoly like the US Postal Service was for so long.
01-01-2015 05:28 PM
TheEastisPurple Offline
Heisman

(01-01-2015 05:28 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  Hopefully 2015 is the year people stop complaining about everything ESPN does and what they don't like about it. That said, it's not a good start.

You don't have to watch it, it's not a virtual monopoly like the US Postal Service was for so long.

You're right. It's not virtual.

I guess I could watch next to no AAC games and zero bowl games. FTR I don't watch ESPN outside of actual games, but they are still one of, if not THE, driving forces behind rankings. So I could change ESPN to "the Committee" or "people who are happy with the way FBS football is run".

Finally, this thread is not a monopoly so if you don't like reading about complaints about ESPN maybe don't click on the thread that is pretty clearly going to be that.
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2015 05:39 PM by TheEastisPurple.)
01-01-2015 05:34 PM
DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

I Root For: UCONN
(01-01-2015 05:34 PM)TheEastisPurple Wrote:  
(01-01-2015 05:28 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  Hopefully 2015 is the year people stop complaining about everything ESPN does and what they don't like about it. That said, it's not a good start.

You're right. It's not virtual.

I guess I could watch next to no AAC games and zero bowl games. FTR I don't watch ESPN outside of actual games, but they are still one of, if not THE, driving forces behind rankings. So I could change ESPN to "the Committee" or "people who are happy with the way FBS football is run".

Finally, this thread is not a monopoly so if you don't like reading about complaints about ESPN maybe don't click on the thread that is pretty clearly going to be that.

/dropsmic
01-01-2015 06:27 PM
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
I see complaints about ESPN on every board I read and sometimes in unrelated threads. I don't exactly think of ESPN as the beacon of all that's right in sports journalism but it can start to get old after awhile hearing constant complaints. Just don't watch it beyond the games. Flip the channel to Fox, Versus and CBS Sports or your local news.
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2015 09:15 PM by C2__.)
01-01-2015 06:47 PM
sfink16 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(01-01-2015 06:47 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  I see complaints about ESPN on every board I read and sometimes in unrelated threads. I don't exactly think of ESPN as the beacon of all that's right in sports journalism but it can start to get old after a while hearing constant complaints. Just don't watch it beyond the games. Flip the channel to Fox, Versus and CBS Sports or your local news.

I already do make other choices when practical but that goes with sports in general. I have never watch a Steelers/Cowboys SB and never will, as an example. I don't care if they meet for the SB the next 20 years, I won't watch.
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2015 07:14 PM by sfink16.)
01-01-2015 07:00 PM
aTxTIGER Online
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators

Agree with MSU but Ole Miss played 2 teams in OOC that will be ranked in the last poll including one team that will be borderline top 10. I don't you can fault their schedule too much.
01-01-2015 07:11 PM
DowdyPirate Offline
Heisman

Did you know FSU is currently being emasculated by PAC-12 Oregon?
01-01-2015 08:34 PM
DrBox Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
Nice Summer Purple.
Well-done!
01-01-2015 08:37 PM
Advertisement

TheEastisPurple Offline
Heisman

(01-01-2015 08:34 PM)DowdyPirate Wrote:  Did you know FSU is currently being emasculated by PAC-12 Oregon?

I had heard such things, yes. Pac-12 had the best winning percentage against other P5s and Oregon's loss wasn't to a 6-6 team or a team that got beat by 30 or more points twice. While I didn't see this sized beatdown coming, it doesn't change my opinion of how the SEC and ACC were made to look this season. If Bama beats tOSU and this team, my argument will take a hit, but it will still be Alabama and the dwarves as much or more than the ACC was FSU and the dwarves this season.

I should also be clear that I f'n hate the ACC as to not be misunderstood in my motives. My only point is that teams shouldn't be handed their ratings based on being in a strong or weak conference when the on the field results don't mirror that.
01-01-2015 09:01 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
(01-01-2015 06:47 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  I see complaints about ESPN on every board I read and sometimes in unrelated threads. I don't exactly think of ESPN as the beacon of all that's right in sports journalism but it can start to get old after awhile hearing constant complaints. Just don't watch it beyond the games. Flip the channel to Fox, Versus and CBS Sports or your local news.

The problem is their game broadcasters just give us the ESPN company line. They don't call things as they are. They shade the truth 24/7 to advance their corporate interests.
01-01-2015 10:37 PM
TheEastisPurple Offline
Heisman

Alabama loses too. We'll see what happens between Oregon and OSU. I still believe FSU had the better argument for a better ranking than Alabama based on the regular season. If OSU looks decent against Oregon I guess the committee knew something I didn't, but it still wasn't based on on-the-field results.

I will say that Alabama looked like they belonged and I won't even try to defend whatever FSU thought they were trying to do out there today.
01-02-2015 01:20 AM
DowdyPirate Offline
Heisman

(01-02-2015 01:20 AM)TheEastisPurple Wrote:  Alabama loses too. We'll see what happens between Oregon and OSU. I still believe FSU had the better argument for a better ranking than Alabama based on the regular season. If OSU looks decent against Oregon I guess the committee knew something I didn't, but it still wasn't based on on-the-field results.

I will say that Alabama looked like they belonged and I won't even try to defend whatever FSU thought they were trying to do out there today.

I still think it should've been
1. Oregon
2. Bama
3. OSU
4. TCU
01-02-2015 10:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.