Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UC football - what do you want to see next year?
Bookmark and Share
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
UC football - what do you want to see next year?
I'll start with my list.

1. I was going to say better halftime adjustments but I'll just say halftime adjustments, because to me it looks like UC sticks to the game plan from the start of the game and as long as they are ahead or not losing too bad they stick with the game plan.

2. Be more aggressive on defense from the start of the game. This staff has been prone to giving up long drives early and often. I think they are too vanilla to start the game.

3. Have more QB's prepared to play for if (when?) Kiel gets hurt.

4. See # 3 above - try to limit leaving the QB completely unprotected like he was on the hit that took him out of the bowl game.

5. Better/more creative use of the strong running backs we have. More runs to the outside. More short passes to the RB's. Don't run the same running play constantly.

6. I think Kiel did a great job this year but he needs to improve on finding the open receiver and not lock in as much. I think he learned a lot this year and as long as he can stay healthy he should lead a powerful UC offense next year.

7. Continue to beef up the lines on both sides of the ball.

12-29-2014 10:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: UC football - what do you want to see next year?
Biggest one for me is #1. They were not a good second half team this season and it showed again on Saturday.

12-29-2014 10:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
Nippert Stadium and wins. No tragedies, no legal issues, and no scandals.

The only real issue I had with the team this year was the defense at the start of the season. People forget how young this team was and the coaches did a heck of a job turning everything around. Starting a new QB, new RB's midway through the year, and new kicker could have lead to more growing pains.

Schedule next season is going to be a challenge; however, 9-3 or 10-2 should be realistic expectations.

12-29-2014 11:03 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Fan, I agree with about all of that. #1, #2 and #5 especially.

Only things I might add are:

Compete against good competition. Getting run by The U would not be acceptable.

I would also like our staff to start treating bowl games less as a vacation victory cigar and more like something that matters enough to fans to give up a bunch of time and $$ to attend and show support. These last 2 having fun has seemed to be the priority. Was in his quotes and sure looked it in warm ups. Maybe that is not fair of me but its my personal perception after watching these last 2 in person.

12-29-2014 11:04 AM
Racinejake Offline
Heisman

Access bowl

12-29-2014 11:09 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
Win the AAC
Beat Miami Fl
Win our bowl game

12-29-2014 11:11 AM
Advertisement

CincyBro Offline
All American

I Root For: " NO GOR "
Bigger, faster, stronger. These happen, everything else will fall into place. Also, can't wait for night game at Nippert.

12-29-2014 11:32 AM
uccheese Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
No losses at Nippert- protect home field. Bring intensity and energy to those 6 games that they can't match.

Overall, win the conference title at home.

More specific, I would like to see the offense have more high percentage stuff. It felt like we did a lot of things with Gunner this year just because we could. Making difficult midrange passes to sidelines are necessary in the NFL, but rarely actually needed at this level. It's nice that he can do it, but it should not be the focal point of our offense. You're making it harder than it needs to be.

Protect Gunner better. Max protect? Rbs staying in more? Better at picking up blitzes? Don't care how, it needs to be done.

12-29-2014 11:48 AM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
I am learning to give up expectations... It seems that every year we have the same basic discussion only to be told at the end of the following season that "You expected too much..."

So, "What do I want to see next year?" I have no idea. The Bearcats, and that's about it.

12-29-2014 12:29 PM
colohank Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincy
All of the above, plus I want to see UC somehow wangle an invitation to a P5 conference -- preferably the ACC. The promise of consistently better competition would attract better recruits and work wonders for this program.

12-29-2014 12:33 PM
geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

I Root For: Binturongs
I'd like to see UC make a stronger commitment to track and field, lacrosse, soccer, baseball, and swimming. This isn't entirely related to football (although track has some crossover), but success in these other sports helps build additional pride in the university. It's also highly likely that you can recruit more elite local kids to play these sports at UC, thus creating more connection to the Cincinnati community.

12-29-2014 12:52 PM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(12-29-2014 12:52 PM)geef Wrote:  I'd like to see UC make a stronger commitment to track and field, lacrosse, soccer, baseball, and swimming. This isn't entirely related to football (although track has some crossover), but success in these other sports helps build additional pride in the university. It's also highly likely that you can recruit more elite local kids to play these sports at UC, thus creating more connection to the Cincinnati community.

They are starting to build it in baseball. There will a lot of talented Freshmen and Sophomores on the baseball roster this Spring and even more the year after that. A lot of the talent comes from a 200 mile radius of campus.

12-29-2014 12:57 PM
Dannyboy Offline
All American

Our players running around Nippert with this after the last home game:

[Image: big_12_flag_71818sma.jpg]

12-29-2014 01:05 PM
HoopsJunky Offline
Heisman

Donators
1. OL to stay healthy
2. Hughes to be more aggressive on 3rd and long
3. Boone to get the bulk of the carries
4. build some depth at OL and DT
5. go for the juggler when they have leads versus trying to hold on

12-29-2014 01:08 PM
rosewater Offline
Heisman

I Root For: cincy
(12-29-2014 11:04 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Fan, I agree with about all of that. #1, #2 and #5 especially.

I would also like our staff to start treating bowl games less as a vacation victory cigar and more like something that matters enough to fans to give up a bunch of time and $$ to attend and show support. These last 2 having fun has seemed to be the priority. Was in his quotes and sure looked it in warm ups. Maybe that is not fair of me but its my personal perception after watching these last 2 in person.

This is very upsetting to me. I remember that you had a similar post about the Belk Bowl and it had the same effect. We do not have enough talent to overcome a focused p5 team. Football requires the players to complete the small things with 100 percent accuracy. Players need to get the count, have proper technique, handle the snap etc.... Why would Tubbs surrender "the edge" to his opponent. I hope and do not believe (yet) that he see us as a small time g5 job.

This is not the only report of this type of behavior. Tech fans complained that after Tubbs would have a tremendous upset win it was followed by an off the charts loss. My dad, who is a West Virginia fan, watched the ECU game and could not believe how disengaged Coach Tubberville was. He said he had never seen a coach so disinterested.

I like Tubbs as a person, and many of the facets that he brings as coach. However, he needs to do a better job of preparation at the end of the season and before the season begins. So I would like a more focused preseason and post season.

12-29-2014 01:14 PM
mac6115cd Offline
1st String

I want to see:
- the new Nippert and go undefeated at home
- an Access Bowl invitation
- a Top 25 ranking
- the coaching staff have the team better prepared
- halftime adjustments
- the players continue to develop to their max capability
- UC receive a P5 invitation

Unless something drastic happens, I see continued 9-4 (or 10-3) seasons on the horizon; which, isn't too bad. It will continue to keep us in the hunt for the Access Bowl and on the national radar.

This team is only in the second year of the CTT era and progress has been made. I hope the trend continues.

12-29-2014 01:33 PM
Advertisement

dossbig Offline
1st String

I Root For: CINCINNATI
1. Sell out every home game
2. Win every home game
3. Be conference champion in the last year in the AAC
4. No more player arrests
5. Gunner stays healthy by not taking so many hits
6. Boone runs for 1,200 plus yards.
7. Win a bowl game

12-29-2014 01:57 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(12-29-2014 01:14 PM)rosewater Wrote:  
(12-29-2014 11:04 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Fan, I agree with about all of that. #1, #2 and #5 especially.

This is very upsetting to me. I remember that you had a similar post about the Belk Bowl and it had the same effect. We do not have enough talent to overcome a focused p5 team. Football requires the players to complete the small things with 100 percent accuracy. Players need to get the count, have proper technique, handle the snap etc.... Why would Tubbs surrender "the edge" to his opponent. I hope and do not believe (yet) that he see us as a small time g5 job.

This is not the only report of this type of behavior. Tech fans complained that after Tubbs would have a tremendous upset win it was followed by an off the charts loss. My dad, who is a West Virginia fan, watched the ECU game and could not believe how disengaged Coach Tubberville was. He said he had never seen a coach so disinterested.

I like Tubbs as a person, and many of the facets that he brings as coach. However, he needs to do a better job of preparation at the end of the season and before the season begins. So I would like a more focused preseason and post season.

Auburn fans said it as well. He would beat an Urban Meyer Florida team or Alabama and turn around and lose to bad Mississippi State/Ole Miss teams. If you look at his tenure at Auburn there were a number of 9-4/8-5 seasons. His 13-0 (2004) and 11-2 (2006) seasons stand out but those were years when he had guys like Bobby Petrino, Will Muschamp and Gene Chizik on his staff.

You are not going to get a coach at his stage in life change who they are. What's the old saying about changing the spots on a leopard....

12-29-2014 02:26 PM
Jchuges7 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC, Reds, FCC
I agree with almost everything said here but I'll add one that's off the radar: put together a bowl travel package for fans similar to the one that they do for students. I understand that you couldn't possibly advertise a $55 price point or anything close to that, but why couldn't they do something similar for the average fan? Heck the prospect of travel, hotel and ticket all in one would be very appealing to some, but not all, and may even push more people to a bowl game that isn't an Access Bowl. I think some travel company could come in to partner on all the logistics and be a good partner for something like this. You could have buses that could be party buses, some for families and some for people who just want a peaceful, quiet ride. Just an idea, just throwing it out there.

12-29-2014 04:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats
(12-29-2014 04:04 PM)Jchuges7 Wrote:  I agree with almost everything said here but I'll add one that's off the radar: put together a bowl travel package for fans similar to the one that they do for students. I understand that you couldn't possibly advertise a $55 price point or anything close to that, but why couldn't they do something similar for the average fan? Heck the prospect of travel, hotel and ticket all in one would be very appealing to some, but not all, and may even push more people to a bowl game that isn't an Access Bowl. I think some travel company could come in to partner on all the logistics and be a good partner for something like this. You could have buses that could be party buses, some for families and some for people who just want a peaceful, quiet ride. Just an idea, just throwing it out there.

Hasn't Provident Travel offered a Bowl travel package every year we've gone to one? Got e-mail from them this year with a bus and hotel package, and transport to the game. Need to buy your own ticket though.

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2014 04:46 PM by JackieTreehorn.)
12-29-2014 04:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.