Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thousands Of Officers Turn Their Backs On Mayor De Blasio At Slain Officer’s Funeral
EagleRockCafe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Eagles
Thousands Of Officers Turn Their Backs On Mayor De Blasio At Slain Officer’s Funeral
[Image: fmidc7.jpg]

Thousands of cops turned their backs to Mayor de Blasio at Rafael Ramos's funeral today.

Quote:NEW YORK (AP) — Thousands of police officers from across the nation packed a church and spilled onto streets Saturday to honor Officer Rafael Ramos as a devoted family man, aspiring chaplain and hero, though an air of unrest surrounding his ambush shooting was not completely pushed aside.

Although mourners inside the church applauded politely as Mayor Bill de Blasio spoke, hundreds of officers outside turned their backs on him in a show of disrespect for what they see as his support for anti-police protesters.

The rush of officers far and wide to New York for Ramos' funeral reminded some of the bond after the Sept. 11 attacks and Superstorm Sandy. Vice President Joe Biden promised that the "incredibly diverse city can and will show the nation how to bridge any divide."

Still, tensions were evident when officers turned away from giant screens showing de Blasio, who has been harshly criticized by New York Police Department union officials as a contributor to a climate of mistrust that contributed to the killings of Ramos and his partner, Wenjian Liu.

Sgt. Myron Joseph of the New Rochelle Police Department said he and fellow officers turned their backs spontaneously to "support our brothers in the NYPD."

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/05cdaf922...rs-funeral
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2014 04:31 PM by EagleRockCafe.)
12-27-2014 04:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
RE: Thousands Of Officers Turn Their Backs On Mayor De Blasio At Slain Officer’s Funeral
How disrespectful. It's the problem that many police departments have.
12-27-2014 04:42 PM
UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
RE: Thousands Of Officers Turn Their Backs On Mayor De Blasio At Slain Officer’s Funeral
Good!!! Thats what happens when your "boss" runs you over and has no respect for you.
12-27-2014 04:51 PM
Brokeback Flamer Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tight ends
(12-27-2014 04:42 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  How disrespectful. It's the problem that many police departments have.

Agreed. It's unbelieveable how disrespectful people have become towards cops
12-27-2014 04:59 PM
EagleRockCafe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Eagles
(12-27-2014 04:59 PM)Brokeback Flamer Wrote:  
(12-27-2014 04:42 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  How disrespectful. It's the problem that many police departments have.

Agreed. It's unbelieveable how disrespectful people have become towards cops

DeBlasio is a leftist whose hatred for police is well known. He helped fuel the murder of those two NYPD officers. He has blood on his hands. It wasn't just the NYPD that turned their back on him, but also many from out of town police forces that showed up.
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2014 05:17 PM by EagleRockCafe.)
12-27-2014 05:16 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
Thousands Of Officers Turn Their Backs On Mayor De Blasio At Slain Officer’s ...
I'm not a NY voter, but according to everything I've seen and heard from those who are, de Blasio had this coming. You can't expect cops to respect you when your riling up the protestors who hate them and eventually caused these two deaths. His actions have been beyond pitiful in the wake of the grand jury decision.

Furthermore, it was his "broken glass" theory of policing that led to the death of Eric Garner. He has blood from both sides on his hands.
12-27-2014 05:23 PM
Advertisement

john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
I think this is a terrible reflection of the NYPD.

A. keep politics out of funerals. its extremely disrespectful and turns the event into a "look at me sh-tshow"

B. these officers are mad because the mayor won't support the NYPD in a case where the NYPD was clearly at fault and public opinion agrees with said notion. The NYPD reaction against the mayor is disturbing because it shows the NYPD attitude believes the following:

1. The mayor must have unconditional support for the NYPD even when they are at fault.

2. The Mayor works for the NYPD not the citizens of NY.

At the end of the day it's not so much the recent anti-police protests but NY mayor & the NYPD being in conflict which each other long before the Garner fiasco. De Blasio takes civil rights more seriously than his predecessor (stop & frisk) hence the reason he is naturally butting heads with law enforcement.

I am not bashing cops, but it is important to note that law enforcement has a well established history of not prioritizing civil rights & certain social issues because it makes their job harder.
12-27-2014 05:36 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

Lol so killing Gardner had nothing to do with it?
12-27-2014 05:38 PM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
(12-27-2014 05:36 PM)john01992 Wrote:  I think this is a terrible reflection of the NYPD.

A. keep politics out of funerals. its extremely disrespectful and turns the event into a "look at me sh-tshow"

B. these officers are mad because the mayor won't support the NYPD in a case where the NYPD was clearly at fault and public opinion agrees with said notion. The NYPD reaction against the mayor is disturbing because it shows the NYPD attitude believes the following:

1. The mayor must have unconditional support for the NYPD even when they are at fault.

At the end of the day it's not so much the recent anti-police protests but NY mayor & the NYPD being in conflict which each other long before the Garner fiasco. De Blasio takes civil rights more seriously than his predecessor (stop & frisk) hence the reason he is naturally butting heads with law enforcement.

I am not bashing cops, but it is important to note that law enforcement has a well established history of not prioritizing civil rights & certain social issues because it makes their job harder.

Get back to us when you've served as a cop for a year.
12-27-2014 05:50 PM
john01992 Offline

(12-27-2014 05:50 PM)QuestionSocratic Wrote:  
(12-27-2014 05:36 PM)john01992 Wrote:  I think this is a terrible reflection of the NYPD.

Get back to us when you've served as a cop for a year.

that's a sub par response to a very good post. your attitude reeks of the same BS mentality that is the very reason why we have so many issues with law enforcement right now.
12-27-2014 05:55 PM
john01992 Offline

(12-27-2014 05:23 PM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  I'm not a NY voter, but according to everything I've seen and heard from those who are, de Blasio had this coming. You can't expect cops to respect you when your riling up the protestors who hate them and eventually caused these two deaths. His actions have been beyond pitiful in the wake of the grand jury decision.

Furthermore, it was his "broken glass" theory of policing that led to the death of Eric Garner. He has blood from both sides on his hands.

Just to be clear the NYPD was at this point before the deaths of these two officers. They were distributing petitions to ban him from NYPD funerals BEFORE this double homicide.
12-27-2014 06:22 PM
Advertisement

john01992 Offline

(12-27-2014 04:51 PM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  Good!!! Thats what happens when your "boss" runs you over and has no respect for you.

(12-27-2014 05:16 PM)EagleRockCafe Wrote:  DeBlasio is a leftist whose hatred for police is well known. He helped fuel the murder of those two NYPD officers. He has blood on his hands. It wasn't just the NYPD that turned their back on him, but also many from out of town police forces that showed up.

(12-27-2014 05:23 PM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  I'm not a NY voter, but according to everything I've seen and heard from those who are, de Blasio had this coming. You can't expect cops to respect you when your riling up the protestors who hate them and eventually caused these two deaths. His actions have been beyond pitiful in the wake of the grand jury decision.

just to recap the NYPD is mad because a mayor who ran on a campaign of reforming the NYPD citing excessive force, unethical surveillance tactics, and a lack of oversight as reasons. in the previous year before Garner De Basio has enacted the following reforms.

1. Ended "stop & frisk"

2. Stopped NYPD from placing unofficial quotas on their officers. (The NYPD was already barred from official placing quotas on officers)

3. stopped NYPD from using condoms as evidence in prostitution arrests

4. ended a controversial "demographics" surveillance unit

5. gave the NYPD an "F" for complying with legally mandated record requests.

The NYPD is acting exactly like a corrupt corporation complaining about a new politician trying to crack down on said corruption. De Basio has done nothing but enact common sense reforms on the NYPD and taken the position that the needs of New Yorkers > the needs of the NYPD.

I strongly support his policy regarding the NYPD and while some may call that "being a cop hater" posters here need to understand that law enforcement have a terrible track record with prioritizing civil rights & social issues because it goes against their personal interests to do so. It's extremely disturbing seeing conservatives on here acting like the police can do no wrong.

You guys are also extremely gullible in buying the NYPD bull 01-rivals that the anger of the officers against the mayor is because of the deaths of these two officers. The NYPD had already been working towards banning the mayor from NYPD funerals BEFORE the deaths of these two officers.
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2014 06:48 PM by john01992.)
12-27-2014 06:48 PM
Brokeback Flamer Offline
1st String

It's like a coaching staff. Rip each other behind closed doors but not in Public. DeBlasio violated that rule.
He NEVER went out of his way to praise the policing methods that worked just lumped them all together. He needed to give respect to earn more than respect than for his title.
12-27-2014 06:58 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

But that's the problem with PD. They always protect their own.
12-27-2014 07:04 PM
john01992 Offline

(12-27-2014 06:58 PM)Brokeback Flamer Wrote:  It's like a coaching staff. Rip each other behind closed doors but not in Public. DeBlasio violated that rule.
He NEVER went out of his way to praise the policing methods that worked just lumped them all together. He needed to give respect to earn more than respect than for his title.

when you have a f***upas big as Garner you kinda forfeit the arrangement to keep internal disputes behind closed doors. Say what you want but I think a police officer doing this to the mayor at a funeral of all places seriously crosses the line. Can you imagine the sh-t storm that would follow if military officers did this to the POTUS?
12-27-2014 07:11 PM
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
If there was any doubt that the board Libs despise police and love thugs, this thread proves it one more time.
12-27-2014 07:15 PM
Advertisement

Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(12-27-2014 07:11 PM)john01992 Wrote:  
(12-27-2014 06:58 PM)Brokeback Flamer Wrote:  It's like a coaching staff. Rip each other behind closed doors but not in Public. DeBlasio violated that rule.

when you have a f***upas big as Garner you kinda forfeit the arrangement to keep internal disputes behind closed doors. Say what you want but I think a police officer doing this to the mayor at a funeral of all places seriously crosses the line. Can you imagine the sh-t storm that would follow if military officers did this to the POTUS?

John - military personnel don't belong to a union. I thought you were all about unions. You think they could get away with it without the union.
12-27-2014 07:19 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes

(12-27-2014 05:36 PM)john01992 Wrote:  2. The Mayor works for the NYPD not the citizens of NY.

So all of a sudden a show of solidarity by union members is a bad thing? We've said that often on this board, but not in this case.
12-27-2014 07:20 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
(12-27-2014 07:04 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  But that's the problem with teachers and their unions. They always protect their own.

Fixed
12-27-2014 07:21 PM
Brokeback Flamer Offline
1st String

(12-27-2014 07:11 PM)john01992 Wrote:  

Unless they have changed UCMJ, they can't. (Article 88 if you are too lazy to look)
12-27-2014 07:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.