Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

A. Peterson and the Switch
Bookmark and Share
mjaytee Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Although I have never been switched, I grew up hearing the legendary stories of how someone's mother made him go out to the yard to pick his own switch for his whooping. With the Peterson story it was funny seeing just how many people did not know what a switch was and having the media defining it. I guess sometimes you do not realize how regionalized American English can be.
09-13-2014 12:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

memphistiger89 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: A. Peterson and the Switch
I was never switched either although I have certainly heard stories. I most certainly know firsthand what getting "whooped" means though.
09-13-2014 12:24 PM
downsouth Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tiger Football
Half of my ass whoopings were with a switch. I don't see the problem.
09-13-2014 12:39 PM
Dynamos Offline
Heisman

I Root For: 3 Day Weekends
America is officially a pussified nation. This entire generation is soft and this everything has to be politically correct crap has gone too far. Its a complete shame that a father isn't even allowed to discipline his own children these days. I got whooped with shoes, switches, belts, extension cords, wet towels, etc and turned out fine.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2014 05:05 PM by Dynamos.)
09-13-2014 05:03 PM
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

(09-13-2014 12:19 PM)mjaytee Wrote:  Although I have never been switched, I grew up hearing the legendary stories of how someone's mother made him go out to the yard to pick his own switch for his whooping. With the Peterson story it was funny seeing just how many people did not know what a switch was and having the media defining it. I guess sometimes you do not realize how regionalized American English can be.

The one thing you DID NOT do is bring back a poor excuse for a switch.

100% supporter of Peterson.
09-13-2014 05:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dynamos Offline
Heisman

I Root For: 3 Day Weekends
Ray Rice should probably mail AP a thank you letter right now though
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2014 05:34 PM by Dynamos.)
09-13-2014 05:18 PM
Advertisement

CUSA_NEWS Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Ligers
Be prepared for more Kroger incidents. Seems this nation thinks kids will learn how to behave via osmosis...
09-13-2014 08:17 PM
uofmcamaro Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Consistency
I'm 100% ok with kids getting whippings...heck, I had my share when I was younger. But to see that kids legs in the pictures and know he is 4 years old...AP crossed a line. It went past discipline.
09-13-2014 11:33 PM
Rufus T. Firefly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis
I was spanked by switches,leather belts,etc. and never had any of what is described here.
http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/e...t-charges/
09-14-2014 06:39 AM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(09-13-2014 05:05 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  
(09-13-2014 12:19 PM)mjaytee Wrote:  Although I have never been switched, I grew up hearing the legendary stories of how someone's mother made him go out to the yard to pick his own switch for his whooping. With the Peterson story it was funny seeing just how many people did not know what a switch was and having the media defining it. I guess sometimes you do not realize how regionalized American English can be.

The one thing you DID NOT do is bring back a poor excuse for a switch.

100% supporter of Peterson.

If I brought back a switch too small more than once my Grandma would braid them together...You only make that mistake once.
09-14-2014 06:39 AM
Unionman76 Offline
Heisman

we always had to go pick the switch

and normally it was from a peach tree

long and narrow, so it would produce nice whelps on the legs

(whelp, a raised area on the skin)
09-14-2014 10:40 AM
Advertisement

UofM_Tiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tigers
(09-14-2014 06:39 AM)Rufus T. Firefly Wrote:  I was spanked by switches,leather belts,etc. and never had any of what is described here.

Me too. And deservedly so. If people had gone to jail for switching me, both parents and both grandmothers would have done time. Don't remember grandfathers getting involved.

All the whippings I remember left welts, but never broke the skin like the pictures indicate. And a four year old is too young for that.

Peterson crossed line.
09-14-2014 12:01 PM
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

(09-14-2014 12:01 PM)UofM_Tiger Wrote:  
(09-14-2014 06:39 AM)Rufus T. Firefly Wrote:  I was spanked by switches,leather belts,etc. and never had any of what is described here.

Me too. And deservedly so. If people had gone to jail for switching me, both parents and both grandmothers would have done time. Don't remember grandfathers getting involved.

All the whippings I remember left welts, but never broke the skin like the pictures indicate. And a four year old is too young for that.

Peterson crossed line.

My Grandmother had 5 of us ages 6 and below sitting front row each Sunday at my Grandfathers church. NO ONE miss-behaved. We didn't talk or jump around or act up in any way shape or form. We learned early what a switch felt like. It laid the proper ground work for our lives as adults.
09-14-2014 07:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
uofmcamaro Offline
Hall of Famer

I had my butt sparked plenty when I was little. If you see the pictures of this 4 year old.....yes, 4 year old, and can still think that Peterson was justified then I pray for any of your kids. Spanking is fine....this just went beyond spanking. I don't think he should go to jail or anything but there should be consequences for this type beating. Streaks and bruises all over the kids legs...hell, he even caught the kids balls a few times. This is a 4 year old that received such punishment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
09-14-2014 08:34 PM
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

(09-14-2014 08:34 PM)uofmcamaro Wrote:  I had my butt sparked plenty when I was little. If you see the pictures of this 4 year old.....yes, 4 year old, and can still think that Peterson was justified then I pray for any of your kids. Spanking is fine....this just went beyond spanking. I don't think he should go to jail or anything but there should be consequences for this type beating. Streaks and bruises all over the kids legs...hell, he even caught the kids balls a few times. This is a 4 year old that received such punishment.

And when he is 24 most likely he will not have a criminal record or running the streets. If he is old enough to get into trouble and possibly hurt himself at 4 then he can be taught right from wrong at 4.
09-14-2014 09:19 PM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
If a grown ass 230 pound MAN(?) can't resort to a better way to discipline his FOUR year old child...

That sort of corporal punishment is completely unnecessary for a four year old.

What makes this even more inexcusable is that he had another son of his killed by by another man due to child abuse.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/11/us/adrian-...d-assault/
09-14-2014 09:45 PM
Advertisement

uofmcamaro Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-14-2014 09:19 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  
(09-14-2014 08:34 PM)uofmcamaro Wrote:  I had my butt sparked plenty when I was little. If you see the pictures of this 4 year old.....yes, 4 year old, and can still think that Peterson was justified then I pray for any of your kids. Spanking is fine....this just went beyond spanking. I don't think he should go to jail or anything but there should be consequences for this type beating. Streaks and bruises all over the kids legs...hell, he even caught the kids balls a few times. This is a 4 year old that received such punishment.

And when he is 24 most likely he will not have a criminal record or running the streets. If he is old enough to get into trouble and possibly hurt himself at 4 then he can be taught right from wrong at 4.

You can't be serious? "Be taught right from wrong at 4"....if I recall correctly the kid was pitching a fit or something about not being able to play a video game. Or trying to grab the controller from his sister or something...you know, something kids do. It isn't like the 4 year old was just being a little misfit. I don't want the "severity of the crime" to be an issue because I don't feel it is our place to tell people how to punish their children...unless it goes to far. Again, I have no problem with him popping the kid. This was just a bit more than that. I've been popped with a switch and it was never what happened here. This was multiple multiple times. And we're talking a damn 4 year old. I counted the marks on his leg to be 9 or 10 marks of where the switch was whipping his bear skin. Are you really prepared to say that is normal discipline and not excessive?

As for your comment about "criminal record" I agree that disciplining a child can prevent that...and I applaud AP if he disciplines his children...this was just excessive.

This is a 4 year olds leg for crying out loud
09-14-2014 09:49 PM
uofmcamaro Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-14-2014 09:45 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  If a grown ass 230 pound MAN(?) can't resort to a better way to discipline his FOUR year old child...

That sort of corporal punishment is completely unnecessary for a four year old.

What makes this even more inexcusable is that he had another son of his killed by by another man due to child abuse.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/11/us/adrian-...d-assault/

I'm even ok with a grown man using corporal punishment but damn if he didn't excessively beat the kid. It would take a hell of a lot to whip anyone 9-10 times.

09-14-2014 09:56 PM
Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
The only thing that bothered me with the switching was that the boy was 4 years old. Come on. I have a grandson about to turn 4. I can't imagine anything that he could do that would warrant that.

7 or 8 years old you might get a belt.

I was talking to my brother about this, he thinks we got switched, I don't remember it. I do remember the belt.
09-15-2014 08:45 AM
BigBlue52 Offline
2nd String

(09-14-2014 10:40 AM)Unionman76 Wrote:  we always had to go pick the switch

and normally it was from a peach tree

long and narrow, so it would produce nice whelps on the legs

(whelp, a raised area on the skin)

My Dad, (94) told me about those peach tree switches. Still hasn't been able to eat a peach.
09-15-2014 08:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.