Houston Watch Party for A&M game
As noted in the general watch party thread, the details are:

Quote:Houston
Buffalo Wild Wings
2525 Rice Blvd
Houston, TX 77005
Look for us on the large bar side by the larger TV screens beginnig at 6:30pm

Here is some further information from Alumni Affairs:

The watch party has been officially arranged with BWW management, and there is a volunteer host who will be on-site at game time. However, 1 or 2 additional volunteer hosts are needed to help with the pre-game period. You would need to arrive about 6 pm and help set things up. I've done this sort of thing before and I can promise you that (1) it is important, (2) it's not hard, and (3) it is VERY appreciated. In this case, I think those 1 or 2 volunteers will make a huge difference in the success of the event.

If you can do this, please contact Suzanne Boue in alumni affairs at (713) 348-6954. She can then tell you about the detailed arrangements and what you'll need to do. (If you also want to reply on this message board, you can; but the important thing is to call Suzanne.)

Thank you in advance to those who have already volunteered, and to those who are about to do so.
09-11-2014 09:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

temchugh Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice
RE: Houston Watch Party for A&M game
As noted in the other thread, this did not work out last time, even though BWW was promoted by the athletic office as the location for the official watch party.

Quote:Buffalo Wild Wings in Rice Village (2525 Rice Blvd, Houston, TX 77005) will be an official watch location for Rice fans this Saturday, August 30th. The game will be on the big screen and the sound will be broadcast throughout the restaurant. Join fellow fans to cheer on your Owls to victory.

By 2 pm on Aug 30th, every place in the village was full up with LSU fans staking out their tables for the 8 pm LSU game. BWW did not have any space reserved for Rice fans.

Are they really doing anything different this time? What will BWW do if 200+ aggie fans show up at 5 pm?

Before I try again, I'd prefer to know that they actually have some space set aside for this official watch party (e.g., space for up to 40 Rice fans will he held until 7 pm). I don't mind missing out because the Rice area is already full up with Rice fans or because I showed up after a set deadline. But not being able to join the official watch party because the venue is full up other folks is a bummer.
09-11-2014 10:36 AM
d1owls4life Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Rice Owls!

New Orleans Bowl
(09-11-2014 10:36 AM)temchugh Wrote:  As noted in the other thread, this did not work out last time, even though BWW was promoted by the athletic office as the location for the official watch party.

Quote:Buffalo Wild Wings in Rice Village (2525 Rice Blvd, Houston, TX 77005) will be an official watch location for Rice fans this Saturday, August 30th. The game will be on the big screen and the sound will be broadcast throughout the restaurant. Join fellow fans to cheer on your Owls to victory.

By 2 pm on Aug 30th, every place in the village was full up with LSU fans staking out their tables for the 8 pm LSU game. BWW did not have any space reserved for Rice fans.

Are they really doing anything different this time? What will BWW do if 200+ aggie fans show up at 5 pm?

Before I try again, I'd prefer to know that they actually have some space set aside for this official watch party (e.g., space for up to 40 Rice fans will he held until 7 pm). I don't mind missing out because the Rice area is already full up with Rice fans or because I showed up after a set deadline. But not being able to join the official watch party because the venue is full up other folks is a bummer.

I believe George mentioned in the other thread and this one that there has been official contact with BWW.

So space should be saved....or not (edited for accuracy - see post #5)
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2014 11:23 AM by d1owls4life.)
09-11-2014 10:39 AM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
You know, I was kinda wondering if the first response would be an offer to help or a complaint.

I should have known.
09-11-2014 10:56 AM
temchugh Offline
1st String

I have a conflict that will prevent me from volunteering to arrive early. However, I did call Suzanne to get a better understanding of the arrangements. Her understanding was that tables could not be reserved through the BWW management (although she did not sound completely sure about this). The arrangement with BWW management consists of a promise to show the game with sound. It is the job of the early arriving volunteers to hold tables, which is why finding these folks is important.

Also, my understanding from the call was that if the whole place fills up before the Rice volunteers show up, then there will not be any Rice space.
09-11-2014 11:19 AM
d1owls4life Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Rice Owls!

New Orleans Bowl
(09-11-2014 11:19 AM)temchugh Wrote:  I have a conflict that will prevent me from volunteering to arrive early. However, I did call Suzanne to get a better understanding of the arrangements. Her understanding was that tables could not be reserved through the BWW management (although she did not sound completely sure about this). The arrangement with BWW management consists of a promise to show the game with sound. It is the job of the early arriving volunteers to hold tables, which is why finding these folks is important.

Also, my understanding from the call was that if the whole place fills up before the Rice volunteers show up, then there will not be any Rice space.

Thanks for sharing this info. Explains what happened last weekend as well. I understand the policy from BWW's standpoint. Just makes things more difficult.
09-11-2014 11:21 AM
Advertisement

ChicagoOwl (BS '07) Offline
1st String

I Root For: YOU!
(09-11-2014 11:21 AM)d1owls4life Wrote:  
(09-11-2014 11:19 AM)temchugh Wrote:  I have a conflict that will prevent me from volunteering to arrive early. However, I did call Suzanne to get a better understanding of the arrangements. Her understanding was that tables could not be reserved through the BWW management (although she did not sound completely sure about this). The arrangement with BWW management consists of a promise to show the game with sound. It is the job of the early arriving volunteers to hold tables, which is why finding these folks is important.

Thanks for sharing this info. Explains what happened last weekend as well. I understand the policy from BWW's standpoint. Just makes things more difficult.

One of the reasons I like the location of the Chicago watch parties (even though hardly anyone comes) is that the bar is a bit off the beaten path and doesn't have a rep. as a sports bar. So come game-time, you don't have to worry that there won't be any tables. I think Houston, etc. should consider hosting watch parties in a similar venue. BWW is the exact opposite -- it's THE bar to watch ALL sports, which is fine if the Rice folks can depend on volunteers and a big, early turn-out, but otherwise, it's a problem.
09-11-2014 11:55 AM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

(09-11-2014 09:30 AM)georgewebb Wrote:  As noted in the general watch party thread, the details are:

Quote:Houston
Buffalo Wild Wings
2525 Rice Blvd
Houston, TX 77005
Look for us on the large bar side by the larger TV screens beginnig at 6:30pm

Here is some further information from Alumni Affairs:

The watch party has been officially arranged with BWW management, and there is a volunteer host who will be on-site at game time. However, 1 or 2 additional volunteer hosts are needed to help with the pre-game period. You would need to arrive about 6 pm and help set things up. I've done this sort of thing before and I can promise you that (1) it is important, (2) it's not hard, and (3) it is VERY appreciated. In this case, I think those 1 or 2 volunteers will make a huge difference in the success of the event.

If you can do this, please contact Suzanne Boue in alumni affairs at (713) 348-6954. She can then tell you about the detailed arrangements and what you'll need to do. (If you also want to reply on this message board, you can; but the important thing is to call Suzanne.)

Thank you in advance to those who have already volunteered, and to those who are about to do so.

This seems like a good sign: tonight I went out for dinner, and the server at the restaurant mentioned that she works at BWW on Thursdays and Saturdays. She said they had a meeting with the manager this past Thursday who told them to be prepared for the Rice alumni party on Saturday, and they are expecting a good Rice turnout.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2014 06:46 AM by georgewebb.)
09-12-2014 11:17 PM
owlaholic Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Rice for life
(09-11-2014 11:55 AM)ChicagoOwl (BS 07) Wrote:  
(09-11-2014 11:21 AM)d1owls4life Wrote:  

One of the reasons I like the location of the Chicago watch parties (even though hardly anyone comes) is that the bar is a bit off the beaten path and doesn't have a rep. as a sports bar. So come game-time, you don't have to worry that there won't be any tables. I think Houston, etc. should consider hosting watch parties in a similar venue. BWW is the exact opposite -- it's THE bar to watch ALL sports, which is fine if the Rice folks can depend on volunteers and a big, early turn-out, but otherwise, it's a problem.

I agree. Is there really not a better option around for watch parties than BW3? Maybe at least move around the watch parties to see if there is more support elsewhere. I'd be much more interested in coming if it didn't involve the subpar BW3 experience. Houston has some cool places don't be afraid to think unconventionally Rice.
09-13-2014 01:01 AM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

(09-13-2014 01:01 AM)owlaholic Wrote:  Is there really not a better option around for watch parties than BW3? Maybe at least move around the watch parties to see if there is more support elsewhere. I'd be much more interested in coming if it didn't involve the subpar BW3 experience. Houston has some cool places...

Great idea -- thank you for suggestions and for your initiative in hosting the next party. As you know, all of these events (in Houston and elsewhere) are hosted entirely by volunteers, which means they depend on the initiative and energy of fans like yourself. (Of course, it's not ENTIRELY without reward -- as you discerned, one of the perks of being the volunteer host is that you get to pick the place!)

The next road games are:
9/27/14 at 6:00 p.m.
10/11/14 at 11:00 a.m.
11/01/14 at 11:00 a.m.
Since the first of these is two weeks away, there is plenty of time for you to offer your services to the alumni office, select a location* that you think will work, and make the arrangements with the management.

Again, thanks for taking the lead. I'm excited to learn the plans that you come up with, and it's terrific to see fans in Houston emulating the fans in other cities by acting as volunteer leaders themselves, instead of merely complaining about the volunteer efforts of others.

*PS: I said "location" in the singular on the theory that you're probably interested in hosting just one of the watch parties, as I'm sure sure other volunteers will step up to host the others. But if you'd like to host more than one (e.g. as a way to try multiple locations) that would be awesome, and certainly much appreciated by your fellow fans.

Go Owls!
09-13-2014 06:34 AM
dragon2owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: RICE
I'll be going to the game, but a couple of friends are going to try out Revelry on Richmond.
http://revelryonrichmond.com/
09-13-2014 07:50 AM
Advertisement

owl95 Offline
1st String

(09-13-2014 06:34 AM)georgewebb Wrote:  
(09-13-2014 01:01 AM)owlaholic Wrote:  Is there really not a better option around for watch parties than BW3? Maybe at least move around the watch parties to see if there is more support elsewhere. I'd be much more interested in coming if it didn't involve the subpar BW3 experience. Houston has some cool places...

Great idea -- thank you for suggestions and for your initiative in hosting the next party. As you know, all of these events (in Houston and elsewhere) are hosted entirely by volunteers, which means they depend on the initiative and energy of fans like yourself. (Of course, it's not ENTIRELY without reward -- as you discerned, one of the perks of being the volunteer host is that you get to pick the place!)

The next road games are:
9/27/14 at 6:00 p.m.
10/11/14 at 11:00 a.m.
11/01/14 at 11:00 a.m.
Since the first of these is two weeks away, there is plenty of time for you to offer your services to the alumni office, select a location* that you think will work, and make the arrangements with the management.

Again, thanks for taking the lead. I'm excited to learn the plans that you come up with, and it's terrific to see fans in Houston emulating the fans in other cities by acting as volunteer leaders themselves, instead of merely complaining about the volunteer efforts of others.

*PS: I said "location" in the singular on the theory that you're probably interested in hosting just one of the watch parties, as I'm sure sure other volunteers will step up to host the others. But if you'd like to host more than one (e.g. as a way to try multiple locations) that would be awesome, and certainly much appreciated by your fellow fans.

Go Owls!

George, I understand what you are saying about no one else stepping up with any better ideas, but after reading what Temchugh said about the setup at BW3, I do not envision ANY scenario where that can possibly work. I mean, is someone really going to commit 10 hrs of their Saturday at a BW3 fighting off hordes of other sports fans to attempt to secure tables for us? How many times, are people going to try to drive to the Village, fight the parking, try to walk into that BW3 and find it standing room only, before anyone with any inclination to go to an "Office Rice Watch Party" gives up on the proposition?

Well, I'm not going to simply point out the problems with the current setup and not attempt a solution. I do know of a place that sometimes go to watch Rockets games. I've spoken with management there before, so today at lunch I will go over there and have an exploratory talk with their management and see if I can secure possibly 10-20 GUARANTEED seats for a Rice party for the next away game 9/27/2014 at 6pm. I don't know if I can to be honest, I have never watched a college football game there and I don't know how crowded they get, but they are slightly off the beaten path in the Galleria area. It's a nice little place with good burgers and philly cheesesteaks though. I will let the board know tonight how those discussions go.

GO Owls!
09-13-2014 09:51 AM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

(09-13-2014 09:51 AM)owl95 Wrote:  George, I understand what you are saying about no one else stepping up with any better ideas, but after reading what Temchugh said about the setup at BW3, I do not envision ANY scenario where that can possibly work.

That may well be true -- which is why I tried to be as supportive as possible of the idea of seeking out better locations, and why I went out of my way to commend the particular person who volunteered to do so. To be honest, I'm not sure how I could have been MORE supportive than I was. (I didn't misread him, did I? Surely he was in fact being a leader and not just an idle complainer?)

(09-13-2014 09:51 AM)owl95 Wrote:  Well, I'm not going to simply point out the problems with the current setup and not attempt a solution. I do know of a place that sometimes go to watch Rockets games. I've spoken with management there before, so today at lunch I will go over there and have an exploratory talk with their management and see if I can secure possibly 10-20 GUARANTEED seats for a Rice party for the next away game 9/27/2014 at 6pm.

Awesome -- and more importantly, THANK YOU! That's the kind of volunteer leadership that makes a big difference for the whole community. It's the opposite of idle complaining. Again, thank you!

(09-13-2014 09:51 AM)owl95 Wrote:  GO Owls!

Yes indeed!
09-13-2014 10:34 AM
owl95 Offline
1st String

Ok guys, i think i may have secured us another location to watch Rice games. With a bit of George's help, I'm going to contact the alumni office and try to make this official for future games. The place is Jake's Philly Cheesesteaks at Chimney Rock and Westheimer. I spoke with the weekend manager and they are willing to give us alot of support including committing the entire back room if we can bring enough people. As for tonight, i got us 2 tables for 8-10 people for the game. I'm posting from my phone so I'll make a more formal post when i get home.
09-13-2014 11:39 AM
Da.Owl Offline
Rs.for.Cars@gmail.com

I Root For: The Rice Owls

Folding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(09-13-2014 07:50 AM)dragon2owl Wrote:  I'll be going to the game, but a couple of friends are going to try out Revelry on Richmond.
http://revelryonrichmond.com/

Parking's a nightmare. Can't wait for Givral to open the bahn-mi shop next door.
09-13-2014 11:50 AM
owl95 Offline
1st String

(09-13-2014 11:39 AM)owl95 Wrote:  Ok guys, i think i may have secured us another location to watch Rice games. With a bit of George's help, I'm going to contact the alumni office and try to make this official for future games. The place is Jake's Philly Cheesesteaks at Chimney Rock and Westheimer. I spoke with the weekend manager and they are willing to give us alot of support including committing the entire back room if we can bring enough people. As for tonight, i got us 2 tables for 8-10 people for the game. I'm posting from my phone so I'll make a more formal post when i get home.

Alternate Watch Party location for today. I know it's short notice, but you don't want to fight the parking and the crowds at BW3 do you???

http://www.jakesphillys.com/
2944 Chimney Rock, Houston, Texas 77056
Phone: (713) 781-1962
I will be there at 7:30pm tonight, likely in that Rice Engineering T-shirt from last year. Just ask for the Rice party.

I spoke with Manager Blake and he is willing to give us couple tables tonight for 10-15 people. They appreciate the business and are willing to give us all the support we need, assuming the game is televised on DirectTV or Comcast. In the future, they are willing to give us the entire back room which can seat upwards of 40-50 people if we can bring those type of numbers.

Please come out tonight if you can, to show your support and help kickoff this relationship. I will be contacting the Rice office to try to make this official going forward. Also in regards to parking, Jake's customers are allowed to park in the neighboring parking lot for the Dentist place which is on the other side of the bushes from the Jake's parking lot.

Hope to see some of you there.

Go Owls!

eATMe
beATMe
Make me wear maroon!
09-13-2014 12:19 PM
Advertisement

Chef Owl Offline
Stay hungry my friends!

The Parliament Awards
Wife and I are in!
09-13-2014 02:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CrabCake Away
2nd String

I Root For: Underdogs
(09-13-2014 02:14 PM)Chef Owl Wrote:  Wife and I are in!

Glad to hear that you will be attending! As I posted in the thread on this issue surrounding the Notre Dame game, "key people" were going to be made aware of the situation in an effort to prevent a repeat.
09-13-2014 02:20 PM
owl95 Offline
1st String

(09-13-2014 02:14 PM)Chef Owl Wrote:  Wife and I are in!

Awesome! I looked forward to meeting you Chef! I hope we get a decent turnout tonight.
09-13-2014 02:37 PM
Vegas Owl Offline
Special Teams

New Orleans BowlDonators
Where is the official watch party in Galveston? Probably on my iPad with Dish Anywhere...
09-13-2014 03:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.