Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

FORBES: Most Valuable College Conferences 2014
GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech
FORBES: Most Valuable College Conferences 2014
According to Forbes 2014 the top 10 most valuable conferences in College Sports:

1. Big Ten
Bowl Games: $45.7 million
NCAA Tournaments: $24 million
TV Deals: $250 million
Total: $318 million

The Big Ten has massive TV income, and it will only grow larger as the Big Ten Network (of which it owns 49%) becomes increasingly profitable. The conference leads the field in NCAA tourney payouts thanks to playing a staggering 96 tournament games over the last six seasons; each game played is worth $250,000 this year.

2. ACC
Bowl Games: $46.6 million
NCAA Tournaments: $18 million
TV Deals: $240 million
Total: $305 million

The outstanding football performances of Florida State and Clemson, which went to the BCS Championship and Orange Bowl, respectively, helped the conference net over $30 million in BCS money alone this year. The ACC has an escalator in its ESPN TV deal, and this year will collect some $197.5 million.

3. Pac-12
Bowl Games: $35 million
NCAA Tournaments: $13.3 million
Total: $299 million

The Pac-12 failed to send an at-large team to a BCS bowl this year, missing out on a $6.3 million BCS payout. And though there is massive TV revenue from the $250 million-per-year deal with Fox and ESPN (this year's payout is actually closer to $194 million), its wholly owned Pac-12 Network requires the conference to pay some $15 million per year to buy back its member schools' third-tier rights from Learfield Sports and IMG College.

4. SEC
Bowl Games: $51.5 million
NCAA Tournaments: $14.8 million
TV Deals: $205 million
Total: $271 million

The SEC isn't traditionally a basketball power, but this year Florida made a run to the Final Four and Kentucky went all the way to the title game before suffering defeat. All in all, the SEC's 2014 NCAA Tournament performance will net the conference more than $20 million over the next six years. There's little surprise that the conference dominated the nation in bowl game revenue; no other conference earned more than $47 million in postseason football revenue.

5. Big 12
Bowl Games: $42.4 million
NCAA Tournaments: $19.8 million
TV Deals: $200 million
Total: $262 million

On a per-school basis, the Big 12 ranks second only to the Big Ten with over $26 million in revenue per member school. That earning power is a big reason why the Big 12 has often been a suspected landing spot for teams rumored to be looking for a new conference home.

6. American
Bowl Games: $30.6 million
NCAA Tournaments: $21.8 million
TV Deals: $20 million
Total: $72.3 million

The AAC may have lost the Catholic 7's basketball units, which are worth nearly $8 million this year, but it will still claim the nation's second-highest NCAA basketball payout thanks mostly to the past performances of Connecticut, Louisville and Syracuse.

7. Big East
Bowl Games: $0 million
NCAA Tournaments: $8.5 million
TV Deals: $41.7 million
Total: $50.2 million

Unimpressive football play can be a death knell for a conference's earnings, and no football teams is usually even worse. Yet the Big East was able to get a 12-year, $500 million deal out of Fox, thanks largely to the company's dire need of live telecasts for its fledgling sports network.

8. Mountain West
Bowl Games: $5.7 million
NCAA Tournaments: $7.8 million
TV Deals: $18 million
Total: $31.5 million

The conference appeared to slip when it lost BYU, TCU and Utah in recent years, but those schools were replaced with Boise State, Fresno State and four others. The new members helped the MWC negotiate an ESPN deal that gives it a step up on the competition, but even that is diminished by an escalator clause - the conference will take home around $14 million in TV revenue this year.

9. Conference USA
Bowl Games: $7.5 million
NCAA Tournaments: $3 million
TV Deals: $14 million
Total: $24.5 million

Few conferences have been shaken up as much as C-USA, which added seven new programs in 2013 after watching the likes of Memphis, UCF, SMU and others jump ship. Its five-year agreements with CBS and Fox are each worth around $7 million per year.

10. Atlantic 10
NCAA Tournaments: $11.5 million
TV Deals: $5 million
Total: $16.5 million

Like the Big East, the A-10 doesn't play football. But while it earns nothing on the turf, it wins big on the court. The recent performances by VCU, La Salle and Dayton have been particularly great, and in the last two years the conference has played nearly as many games as it had in the previous four combined.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/emdm45ehljf/1-big-ten-3/
08-21-2014 04:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: FORBES: Most Valuable College Conferences 2014
That can't be right...ACC 2nd...

...and when I mean it can't be right, I really mean it, because the source is Forbes which has made a habit of lowering itself to Bleacher Report level to churn out any content. Seems like just yesterday that Forbes was telling us how the ACC was doomed. LMAO!!!

Forbes is garbage. I wouldn't pay their numbers any heed.
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2014 05:48 AM by CrazyPaco.)
08-21-2014 05:47 AM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(08-21-2014 04:10 AM)GTFletch Wrote:  According to Forbes 2014 the top 10 most valuable conferences in College Sports:

1. Big Ten
Bowl Games: $45.7 million
NCAA Tournaments: $24 million
Total: $318 million

The Big Ten has massive TV income, and it will only grow larger as the Big Ten Network (of which it owns 49%) becomes increasingly profitable. The conference leads the field in NCAA tourney payouts thanks to playing a staggering 96 tournament games over the last six seasons; each game played is worth $250,000 this year.

2. ACC
Bowl Games: $46.6 million
NCAA Tournaments: $18 million
TV Deals: $240 million
Total: $305 million

The outstanding football performances of Florida State and Clemson, which went to the BCS Championship and Orange Bowl, respectively, helped the conference net over $30 million in BCS money alone this year. The ACC has an escalator in its ESPN TV deal, and this year will collect some $197.5 million.

3. Pac-12
Bowl Games: $35 million
NCAA Tournaments: $13.3 million
Total: $299 million

The Pac-12 failed to send an at-large team to a BCS bowl this year, missing out on a $6.3 million BCS payout. And though there is massive TV revenue from the $250 million-per-year deal with Fox and ESPN (this year's payout is actually closer to $194 million), its wholly owned Pac-12 Network requires the conference to pay some $15 million per year to buy back its member schools' third-tier rights from Learfield Sports and IMG College.

4. SEC
Bowl Games: $51.5 million
NCAA Tournaments: $14.8 million
TV Deals: $205 million
Total: $271 million

The SEC isn't traditionally a basketball power, but this year Florida made a run to the Final Four and Kentucky went all the way to the title game before suffering defeat. All in all, the SEC's 2014 NCAA Tournament performance will net the conference more than $20 million over the next six years. There's little surprise that the conference dominated the nation in bowl game revenue; no other conference earned more than $47 million in postseason football revenue.

5. Big 12
Bowl Games: $42.4 million
NCAA Tournaments: $19.8 million
TV Deals: $200 million
Total: $262 million

On a per-school basis, the Big 12 ranks second only to the Big Ten with over $26 million in revenue per member school. That earning power is a big reason why the Big 12 has often been a suspected landing spot for teams rumored to be looking for a new conference home.

6. American
Bowl Games: $30.6 million
NCAA Tournaments: $21.8 million
TV Deals: $20 million
Total: $72.3 million

The AAC may have lost the Catholic 7's basketball units, which are worth nearly $8 million this year, but it will still claim the nation's second-highest NCAA basketball payout thanks mostly to the past performances of Connecticut, Louisville and Syracuse.

7. Big East
NCAA Tournaments: $8.5 million
TV Deals: $41.7 million
Total: $50.2 million

Unimpressive football play can be a death knell for a conference's earnings, and no football teams is usually even worse. Yet the Big East was able to get a 12-year, $500 million deal out of Fox, thanks largely to the company's dire need of live telecasts for its fledgling sports network.

8. Mountain West
Bowl Games: $5.7 million
NCAA Tournaments: $7.8 million
TV Deals: $18 million
Total: $31.5 million

The conference appeared to slip when it lost BYU, TCU and Utah in recent years, but those schools were replaced with Boise State, Fresno State and four others. The new members helped the MWC negotiate an ESPN deal that gives it a step up on the competition, but even that is diminished by an escalator clause - the conference will take home around $14 million in TV revenue this year.

9. Conference USA
Bowl Games: $7.5 million
NCAA Tournaments: $3 million
TV Deals: $14 million
Total: $24.5 million

Few conferences have been shaken up as much as C-USA, which added seven new programs in 2013 after watching the likes of Memphis, UCF, SMU and others jump ship. Its five-year agreements with CBS and Fox are each worth around $7 million per year.

10. Atlantic 10
NCAA Tournaments: $11.5 million
TV Deals: $5 million
Total: $16.5 million

Like the Big East, the A-10 doesn't play football. But while it earns nothing on the turf, it wins big on the court. The recent performances by VCU, La Salle and Dayton have been particularly great, and in the last two years the conference has played nearly as many games as it had in the previous four combined.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/emdm45ehljf/1-big-ten-3/

COGS02-13-bananaCOGS02-13-banana
08-21-2014 07:12 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
The ACC appears to be moving on up...

08-21-2014 07:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
Re: FORBES: Most Valuable College Conferences 2014
Wonder what the per school pay outs are? Since ND doesnt get a full share, no football, in the ACC then I would estimate their payout to be around $21.5 million. Not bad for a conference Forbes said was doomed.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2014 07:37 AM by Lenvillecards.)
08-21-2014 07:36 AM
Minutemen429 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UMass
(08-21-2014 05:47 AM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  That can't be right...ACC 2nd......and when I mean it can't be right, I really mean it, because the source is Forbes which has made a habit of lowering itself to Bleacher Report level to churn out any content. Seems like just yesterday that Forbes was telling us how the ACC was doomed. LMAO!!!

Forbes is garbage. I wouldn't pay their numbers any heed.

Exactly
08-21-2014 07:54 AM
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
This is a bit of a snapshot of the last year of the BCS and completion of conference realignment. Every FBS league is going to get a boost in bowl revenue due to the new CFP system. However, the Big Ten and SEC are going to get more bowl money conpared to the other conferences since they have an Orange Bowl tie-in on top of the Rose and Sugar Bowls. Also, the new BTN money from NJ and MD and the new SEC Network are going to kick up those leagues' TV contracts (while the Big Ten will get a new first tier TV deal in a couple of years). The AAC value is going to go down on a relative basis since it won't be getting the auto BCS bid money anymore (so they'll essentially be getting the same bowl money as the rest of the G5) and the Syracuse and Louisville NCAA Tournament credits will ultimately expire. The AAC will still get a good amount of NCAA Tournament money with UConn.
08-21-2014 08:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor
Adjusted ranking per-school.

For FBS leagues we took the number of football members in 2013-14, for the Big East and A-10 we took hoops membership.

B1G has 318 million divided over 12 teams for 26.5 million per team.
Big 12 has 262 million divided over 10 teams for 26.2 million per team.
PAC has 299 million divided over 12 teams for 24.9 million per team.
ACC has 305 million divided over 14 teams for 21.8 million per team.
SEC has 271 million divided over 14 teams for 19.4 million per team.
AAC has 72.3 million divided over 10 teams for 7.2 million per team.
Big East has 50.2 million divided over 10 teams for 5 million per team.
MWC has 31.5 million divided over 12 teams for 2.6 million per team.
CUSA has 24.5 million divided over 14 teams for 1.8 million per team.
A-10 has 16.5 million divided over 13 teams for 1.3 million per team.

**Note**
1- The SEC doesn't appear to include the SEC Network which will skew things for future projection. This list is probably for the 2013-14 season so their tier 3 tv deals (when applicable) should elevate them slightly but the unfinished negotiation on the SECN is artificially weighing down the average.

2- Big 12 does not include tier 3 tv which would add around 2 million per team if just the LHN and SoonerSports revenues were divided 10 ways, not to mention everyone else adding to that.

3- The ACC's partial non-fb membership of Notre Dame and my dividing by # of football members probably inflates the ACC number slightly as ND gets paid out of that revenue as well.
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2014 09:03 AM by 1845 Bear.)
08-21-2014 09:01 AM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
The SEC doesn't share bowl money like everybody else IIRC. If you don't go to a bowl, you aren't getting anything from the bowl money pool.
08-21-2014 09:20 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-21-2014 09:20 AM)Dasville Wrote:  The SEC doesn't share bowl money like everybody else IIRC. If you don't go to a bowl, you aren't getting anything from the bowl money pool.

That isn't true. There is an amount that the school playing in a bowl receives (essentially to cover travel and expenses), but then the SEC splits the rest of the bowl payout equally among all of its members plus a share for the conference office. That's pretty typical for the P5 conference.
08-21-2014 09:32 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-21-2014 09:32 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(08-21-2014 09:20 AM)Dasville Wrote:  The SEC doesn't share bowl money like everybody else IIRC. If you don't go to a bowl, you aren't getting anything from the bowl money pool.

That isn't true. There is an amount that the school playing in a bowl receives (essentially to cover travel and expenses), but then the SEC splits the rest of the bowl payout equally among all of its members plus a share for the conference office. That's pretty typical for the P5 conference.

Frank, I'd like to see your reference on that one because not only have I read that SEC non-bowl teams don't get a share of bowl revenue but it seems that's the only way to reconcile individual team revenue (by applying that rule). Doesn't change the average at all, of course, but it does change individual school revenues.
08-21-2014 10:02 AM
Advertisement

Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL

Your right. I remembered incorrectly. I knew it just wasn't bowl $ divided by teams though. The amount withheld by the participants is tiered based upon the amount of the Bowl payout and then the remainder is turned over to the SEC and distributed with the office getting a cut.
08-21-2014 10:04 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-21-2014 10:04 AM)Dasville Wrote:  

Your right. I remembered incorrectly. I knew it just wasn't bowl $ divided by teams though. The amount withheld by the participants is tiered based upon the amount of the Bowl payout and then the remainder is turned over to the SEC and distributed with the office getting a cut.

Yes, that's correct. Here's an explanation of how the SEC does it:

https://collegefootball.rivals.com/conte...ID=1209163

The SEC is a pretty big revenue sharing league. It is definitely not the case that teams that don't go to bowls don't get bowl revenue. In fact, you're arguably better off being a Big Ten or SEC team that doesn't go to a bowl at all yet still collect the bowl paychecks from a pure financial standpoint.
08-21-2014 10:11 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
This is completely meaningless going forward, as it doesn't factor in the massive changes coming with the new CFP and Contract Bowl tie-ins, nor does it include the SEC's new SECN deal.
08-21-2014 10:18 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(08-21-2014 10:18 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  This is completely meaningless going forward, as it doesn't factor in the massive changes coming with the new CFP and Contract Bowl tie-ins, nor does it include the SEC's new SECN deal.

1. Live to today....05-nono

2. Going forward the ACC Network which is still in it planning stage with ESPN...the SEC Network went on the Whiteboard in 2011 and is now on in 2014....the ACC Network went on the Whiteboard in 2013 and it is "rumored" to be able to launch around 2015/2017...we shall see...07-coffee3
08-21-2014 10:35 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

If I were an SEC school, I would talk with my brethren about making sure that when all this new CFP and media revenue comes in that the conference's share essentially stays the same.

Why give 1/15 of the revenue to a conference bureaucracy? Sure, there are essential administrative tasks that have to be done, but just because per school revenue goes from $18m a year to $30m a year doesn't mean that conference front office expenses have to do the same.
08-21-2014 10:53 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

(08-21-2014 10:35 AM)Maize Wrote:  
(08-21-2014 10:18 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  This is completely meaningless going forward, as it doesn't factor in the massive changes coming with the new CFP and Contract Bowl tie-ins, nor does it include the SEC's new SECN deal.

1. Live to today....05-nono

2. Going forward the ACC Network which is still in it planning stage with ESPN...the SEC Network went on the Whiteboard in 2011 and is now on in 2014....the ACC Network went on the Whiteboard in 2013 and it is "rumored" to be able to launch around 2015/2017...we shall see...07-coffee3

Yes, as conference revenues are always somewhat of a moving target, any 'snapshot' picture will be deceiving to a certain extent, whether we take it now or in 2018.

That said, this 'snapshot' is at a particularly inopportune time for the SEC compared to the other P5. The PAC, Big 12, and IIRC the ACC are already receiving the increased media money from their various look-ins and deals signed in 2011-2012, while the SEC media money still reflects the awful deal Slive signed in 2008. Just look, it says SEC schools are making a paltry $14.6m per year from ESPN.

As for an ACC network, that is too far off and uncertain to factor in to an assessment of revenue for the next few years, and there aren't even any projections that show such a network would boost AAC revenue over their current ESPN deal.

BTW, these are the actual moneys the conferences distributed for 2013-2014:

"The Big 10 distributed nearly $26 Million. The Big 12 distributed $22 Million. The SEC was at $20.9 Million. The ACC came in at $20.8 Million, and Pac 12 brings up the rear at $19.8 Million."

http://beforeitsnews.com/sports/2014/06/...68724.html
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2014 11:04 AM by quo vadis.)
08-21-2014 10:56 AM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
(08-21-2014 09:01 AM)1845 Bear Wrote:  Adjusted ranking per-school.

For FBS leagues we took the number of football members in 2013-14, for the Big East and A-10 we took hoops membership.

**Note**
1- The SEC doesn't appear to include the SEC Network which will skew things for future projection. This list is probably for the 2013-14 season so their tier 3 tv deals (when applicable) should elevate them slightly but the unfinished negotiation on the SECN is artificially weighing down the average.

2- Big 12 does not include tier 3 tv which would add around 2 million per team if just the LHN and SoonerSports revenues were divided 10 ways, not to mention everyone else adding to that.

3- The ACC's partial non-fb membership of Notre Dame and my dividing by # of football members probably inflates the ACC number slightly as ND gets paid out of that revenue as well.

I'll add one more note:
4- The Big Ten's new distribution fees for New Jersey, the New York counties of the NYC DMA and Maryland are not included in the conference revenue. Plus Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland (its "travel subsidy" aside) are only getting partial shares of varying sizes, not that this affects the new average payout but it does affect the actual payout number to the 11 members receiving full shares.
08-21-2014 11:20 AM
1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor
(08-21-2014 11:20 AM)brista21 Wrote:  
(08-21-2014 09:01 AM)1845 Bear Wrote:  Adjusted ranking per-school.

**Note**

I'll add one more note:
4- The Big Ten's new distribution fees for New Jersey, the New York counties of the NYC DMA and Maryland are not included in the conference revenue. Plus Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland (its "travel subsidy" aside) are only getting partial shares of varying sizes, not that this affects the new average payout but it does affect the actual payout number to the 11 members receiving full shares.

Two responses:

1- This I believe is for the 2013-14 season therefore Rutgers/UMD won't factor in yet.

2- Partial shares for new members undervalue what rank and file members get in the B1G, B12, and PAC with Nebraska, WVU, TCU, and Utah all being phased in.
08-21-2014 12:04 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-21-2014 10:56 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  ...as conference revenues are always somewhat of a moving target, any 'snapshot' picture will be deceiving to a certain extent, whether we take it now or in 2018.

That said, this 'snapshot' is at a particularly inopportune time for the SEC compared to the other P5. The PAC, Big 12, and IIRC the ACC are already receiving the increased media money from their various look-ins and deals signed in 2011-2012, while the SEC media money still reflects the awful deal Slive signed in 2008. Just look, it says SEC schools are making a paltry $14.6m per year from ESPN.

As for an ACC network, that is too far off and uncertain to factor in to an assessment of revenue for the next few years, and there aren't even any projections that show such a network would boost AAC revenue over their current ESPN deal.

BTW, these are the actual moneys the conferences distributed for 2013-2014:

"The Big 10 distributed nearly $26 Million. The Big 12 distributed $22 Million. The SEC was at $20.9 Million. The ACC came in at $20.8 Million, and Pac 12 brings up the rear at $19.8 Million."

http://beforeitsnews.com/sports/2014/06/...68724.html

I totally agree that this sort of thing depends on the exact year you look at the data. Many people on this site have blasted the ACC (including some fans of ACC schools). Look, nobody - I mean NOBODY - is really sure what revenue will be next year, much less 4, 8, or 12 years from now. Projections are nice but in the end things tend to work out in some unexpected ways in my experience. BOTTOM LINE: don't sweat it!
08-21-2014 01:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.