Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The P5 will cannabalize each other
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
The P5 will cannabalize each other
i am telling you guys, there is not gonna be a consensus and a 5 conference love fest like they all think. not even within the conferences, much less between them all.

Its already starting- link
08-13-2014 07:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Purplehook Offline
1st String

I Root For: East Carolina
RE: The P5 will cannabalize each other
Let those greedy wolves consume each other.
08-13-2014 08:11 PM
ecumbh1999 Offline
Keeper of the Code

(08-13-2014 07:44 PM)shere khan Wrote:  i am telling you guys, there is not gonna be a consensus and a 5 conference love fest like they all think. not even within the conferences, much less between them all.

[Image: 3898460-8864152835-]
08-13-2014 08:23 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
Wonder how accurate those numbers $$$ really are... I'm thinking these are just quick air drawn up numbers for now... But yes, recruiting advantages are been drawn up as we speak.
08-13-2014 08:26 PM
ecumbh1999 Offline
Keeper of the Code

One can't help, but think of this ole saying...... Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.
08-13-2014 08:27 PM
Advertisement

b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
Oh yes this will be funny to watch.
08-13-2014 08:29 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

i will say this, if they all agree to a set P5 equal money payday (outside the whole cost of attendance charade) then there is gonna be an irs/antitrust problem.
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2014 08:32 PM by shere khan.)
08-13-2014 08:31 PM
ENCPir87769 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ECU & AAC
Shere Khan hit it out of the park with both posts! And I really envision ALL of us watching with the 3-D glasses & popcorn......though I am SURE there will be ALCOHOL involved as well.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2014 07:28 AM by ENCPir87769.)
08-13-2014 10:10 PM
PuddlePirate Offline
1st String

I Root For: inorganic groceries
(08-13-2014 08:31 PM)shere khan Wrote:  i will say this, if they all agree to a set P5 equal money payday (outside the whole cost of attendance charade) then there is gonna be an irs/antitrust problem.

I've been wondering about the whole issue concerning tax exempt status and antitrust for a while. These athletic programs are operating like for profit entities and raking in tens and hundreds of millions of dollars, in the case of Texas at least, and these kids get a partial scholarship while the conferences and individuals in the athletic departments become insanely rich. These super geniuses could be opening a Pandora's Box of federal government scrutiny that they end up regretting terribly. Which would be awesome but where does that lead?
08-13-2014 11:50 PM
Advertisement

shere khan Offline
Southerner

(08-13-2014 11:50 PM)PuddlePirate Wrote:  
(08-13-2014 08:31 PM)shere khan Wrote:  i will say this, if they all agree to a set P5 equal money payday (outside the whole cost of attendance charade) then there is gonna be an irs/antitrust problem.

I've been wondering about the whole issue concerning tax exempt status and antitrust for a while. These athletic programs are operating like for profit entities and raking in tens and hundreds of millions of dollars, in the case of Texas at least, and these kids get a partial scholarship while the conferences and individuals in the athletic departments become insanely rich. These super geniuses could be opening a Pandora's Box of federal government scrutiny that they end up regretting terribly. Which would be awesome but where does that lead?

cost of attendance has been a clever misdirect ruse for saying we want to pay our players. well if you do it under the guise of cost of attendance (we were gonna pay that much anyway), then that has to be a quantifiable amout based of the cost of attendance. well if the variation is great between conferences and member schools then there has to be a method of normalizing the rate structure. this leads down the slippery slope of set compensation for a service provided. you start cutting paychecks for services that are provided on a adjusted and normalized scale for fairness within the p5 structure and your whole cost of attendace altruistic "its for the kids" argument is gone. its just pay for play at that point.

the guberment would tax the air you breath if they could find a way to do it, they are gonna want a piece of the pie. herein lies the rub. you cut a payroll check to a player, then its gonna get taxed....it opens the doors for all sorts of labor related law, from osha to the eeoc. they could invoke the fair labor standards act (overtime, etc)...talk about a complete nightmare. the sherman antitrust laws are not far behind because you have a taxable, honest to god business that restricts free trade based on a coalition of schools with the goal of cornerning the market and limiting competition. the nfl can get away with it...non profit universities whose goal is education...not a chance.

on remedy would be for all the athletic departments to break free from the umbrella of being a university entity and become an actual business. then they would truly be the d league for the nfl. this will never happen. they have painted themselves into a corner.

this is when it will all get real deal. they have been spoon feedin us the broth, they may end up choking on the meat when it goes into practice.
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2014 12:30 AM by shere khan.)
08-14-2014 12:20 AM
Pirateoracle Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ECU
(08-13-2014 07:44 PM)shere khan Wrote:  i am telling you guys, there is not gonna be a consensus and a 5 conference love fest like they all think. not even within the conferences, much less between them all.

Agreed..also the Profit5 have established themselves as an autonomous group within the ncaa based solely on revenue from tv...As the lawsuits fly and they will, they will follow the money. They will not have to sue the entire ncaa but will make it much easier to sue the 65 cartel...
08-14-2014 06:07 AM
40smokingcannon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: barbECUe

I agree 100%.
08-14-2014 07:27 AM
40smokingcannon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: barbECUe
(08-14-2014 06:07 AM)Pirateoracle Wrote:  

Agreed..also the Profit5 have established themselves as an autonomous group within the ncaa based solely on revenue from tv...As the lawsuits fly and they will, they will follow the money. They will not have to sue the entire ncaa but will make it much easier to sue the 65 cartel...

Profit5........love it! Can I use that?04-bow
08-14-2014 07:36 AM
Advertisement

jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
As someone who loves chaos a bit too much, I like where this is headed.
08-14-2014 07:39 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
(08-14-2014 06:07 AM)Pirateoracle Wrote:  Agreed..also the Profit5 have established themselves as an autonomous group within the ncaa based solely on revenue from tv...As the lawsuits fly and they will, they will follow the money. They will not have to sue the entire ncaa but will make it much easier to sue the 65 cartel...

04-bow perfect.
08-14-2014 08:08 AM
HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU

08-14-2014 08:52 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
I like what the poster referred to above me referring to the P5: The Profit 5. From here on out lets call them that. The Profit 5 semi pro football conferences. They are not functioning as schools any more. They've gone full big business and I for one will not allow them to be referred to as colleges. When schools like Louisville think that getting into a Profit 5 league will allow them to become a prestigious academic institution they are DEAD WRONG. In fact, It will back fire. At least I want it to badly.04-cheers
08-14-2014 10:54 AM
Tigeer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UoM & WVU
Travel, entertainment and personal care costs are higher in Knoxville, TN because:

a) The airport
b) The only entertainment is "weed"
c) Dental care
08-14-2014 11:44 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.