WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Building the boat
flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
Building the boat
New video posted with article by DD outlining the weight and conditioning in the football program. Cool vid... One aspect of the RTB analogy I can get behind...

Building the boat - mlive
06-24-2014 07:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ColinApocalypse Offline

RE: Building the boat
Love the beach workouts.
06-24-2014 08:30 AM
WheresWaldo42 Offline
1st String

I Root For: BetterCall Saul
I saw the video last night as well. Thought it was actually pretty good. INTENSE. But it showed the team and players working their a$$e$ off. In my opinion, this showed a really good light on the program and how hard they work to get better. The only "complaint" I had was that the S&C Coach was a little hard to understand at times. But I can get over that, because every other S&C coach that I have ever seen regardless of the program is pretty high strung, energetic and has that non stop energy and enthusiasm when he speaks. So while it gave an old guy like me a headache trying to keep up with what he was saying, I can see where high school and college kids would get fired up to work their tails off for that guy.

IMO, THIS is the kind of videos they should be putting out there to promote the program.
06-24-2014 09:38 AM
bronco47 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: wmu
Very good.

Love it. The slogans just support the main idea, rather than BEING the main idea.

Ok, I'm taking grandson to the beach, done deal!
06-24-2014 09:54 AM
bronco47 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: wmu
(06-24-2014 09:49 AM)Nacho Wrote:  I saw in there a 5 second clip of a wooden boat being built... Are they really building a boat...?

There is a wooden boat Maritime Museum in South Haven. Suspect the boat is being built by them.
06-24-2014 09:55 AM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
It is a good video.

Not sure who it's aimed at - fans-alums, or potential recruits. Or all three.

Still it has to be viewed as a positive.

As far as Nichol - 98% of CFB Strength Training coaches are Type A personalities with high testosterone levels - they're not called "Iron Heads" for nothing.

I'm sure he's a good one. Video makes it appear so.

The best realize their job is "SAQ" however - Strength, Agility, Quickness - because being able to play the game (which requires more than just weight lifting numbers and weight gains) is the goal.
06-24-2014 05:02 PM
Advertisement

Hiller4Hyz09 Offline
Bronco Addict

(06-24-2014 09:38 AM)WheresWaldo42 Wrote:  I saw the video last night as well. Thought it was actually pretty good. INTENSE. But it showed the team and players working their a$$e$ off. In my opinion, this showed a really good light on the program and how hard they work to get better. The only "complaint" I had was that the S&C Coach was a little hard to understand at times. But I can get over that, because every other S&C coach that I have ever seen regardless of the program is pretty high strung, energetic and has that non stop energy and enthusiasm when he speaks. So while it gave an old guy like me a headache trying to keep up with what he was saying, I can see where high school and college kids would get fired up to work their tails off for that guy.

IMO, THIS is the kind of videos they should be putting out there to promote the program.

He seems to have a little Bernstein in him as well.
06-24-2014 05:15 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
(06-24-2014 05:02 PM)MajorHoople Wrote:  It is a good video.

Not sure who it's aimed at - fans-alums, or potential recruits. Or all three.

Still it has to be viewed as a positive.

As far as Nichol - 98% of CFB Strength Training coaches are Type A personalities with high testosterone levels - they're not called "Iron Heads" for nothing.

I'm sure he's a good one. Video makes it appear so.

The best realize their job is "SAQ" however - Strength, Agility, Quickness - because being able to play the game (which requires more than just weight lifting numbers and weight gains) is the goal.

Some of our best position coaches were major type A's. Schaffer and Diaco were always up in players grills, whether they were schooling them on a mistake or praising them for a good play.

Our last SCC was a good guy, but he was not a Type A in the least. One of those deals where I think BC was a bit too loyal when change was probably needed.
06-24-2014 05:40 PM
Ubish Offline
All American

imho the jury is still out on the S&C coach. I like the offseason workouts, the beach stuff is nice and they appear to be getting in great physical shape, but if we have a ton of injuries this year then it will point to a potential lack of conditioning, not just a fluke year.
06-24-2014 06:39 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I don't know anything about Nicol other than what's on video.

He may be very good, or not.

Anybody with a certificate and a whistle can get you breathing hard-sweating, and make you tired.

Doesn't necessarily make you a better athlete though.

It's about player development.
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2014 06:51 PM by MajorHoople.)
06-24-2014 06:49 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
(06-24-2014 06:39 PM)Ubish Wrote:  imho the jury is still out on the S&C coach. I like the offseason workouts, the beach stuff is nice and they appear to be getting in great physical shape, but if we have a ton of injuries this year then it will point to a potential lack of conditioning, not just a fluke year.

So if last years off season injuries were do to a lack of conditioning does that fall on the SCC who had been on board for 3 months, or on the one who had been in place for years?
06-24-2014 06:57 PM
Advertisement

EA3 Offline
Heisman

(06-24-2014 06:57 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  
(06-24-2014 06:39 PM)Ubish Wrote:  imho the jury is still out on the S&C coach. I like the offseason workouts, the beach stuff is nice and they appear to be getting in great physical shape, but if we have a ton of injuries this year then it will point to a potential lack of conditioning, not just a fluke year.

So if last years off season injuries were do to a lack of conditioning does that fall on the SCC who had been on board for 3 months, or on the one who had been in place for years?

Whoa whoa whoa...it's gotta fall on the new guy. He should have known not to push the guys so hard and that they would need time for their bodies to adjust. 03-drunk

Disclaimer: only according to the anti Fleck crowd that nitpicks everything about WMU football these days
06-24-2014 07:04 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
Those same players weren't going down at that rate before. Why?
06-24-2014 07:14 PM
EA3 Offline
Heisman

(06-24-2014 07:14 PM)DesertBronco Wrote:  Those same players weren't going down at that rate before. Why?

That's the question. Was the previous guy not pushing them hard enough? Or the current guy pushing them too hard.

To me it's simple. IF, and that's a big IF, the SC coach contributed to a rash of injuries last year...it could be because the jump from one SC coach to the next was drastic.

I'm not sold on this scenario. I do think fluke injuries happen. The bball team had their fair share 3 years ago....last year was the exact opposite. Haymond's injury in the non conference portion is the only one that comes to mind.
06-24-2014 07:22 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
Not playing on instinct, thinking too much contributes too.
06-24-2014 07:23 PM
EA3 Offline
Heisman

(06-24-2014 07:23 PM)DesertBronco Wrote:  Not playing on instinct, thinking too much contributes too.

Reasonable explanation. Not sure ALL the injuries can be contributed to one source.
06-24-2014 07:27 PM
Advertisement

Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

06-24-2014 07:42 PM
BCBronco Offline
All American

The best thing about this board is nearly everyone here is a football genius and most are experts in such diverse areas as strength and conditioning, public speaking, ethics, offensive coordination and play calling, comparative talent assessment from behind the keyboard, recruiting, marketing, alumni relations, knowing the content of private conversations between Big 10 coaches, as well as being privy to private conversations between the WMU AD and prez. Perhaps best of all, is having the ability to predict the future. What a wondrous place! 02-13-banana
06-24-2014 10:53 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

Strength training is important, but it's just one leg of the table.

Football is an athletic competition of skill-technique, not Body Building or Power Lifting contest.

A good SAC coach is invaluable but they may get too much blame for injuries and too much responsibility for performance.

Remember how Mike Barwis was going to revolutionize U-M Football, for example?
06-25-2014 06:28 AM
WheresWaldo42 Offline
1st String

I Root For: BetterCall Saul
I agree that S&C is very important. Do I think that this had any bearing on the injuries sustained last season? Absolutely not. I don't believe a strength and conditioning program has anything to do with a guy tearing up a knee or severely rolling an ankle.

The ONLY issue that I had with any of this type of stuff last season was the practice that the team apparently ran sprints for an extended period of time. At that point in the season, I don't see much good that can come from something like that. Fatigued legs and muscles can add to the chances of something giving out. And as I recall, it seemed the team lost its legs in the 2nd half of that next game.

BCBronco. I also totally agree with you and I am just as guilty as the next guy. We are ALL experts when it comes to this stuff. When in reality, we probably don't know the tip of the iceberg as to what everyone is doing, saying, thinking, feeling and how things will turn out. Thanks for the reminder about that.
06-25-2014 07:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.