Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Texas GOP advances 'reparative therapy' for gays
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
Texas GOP advances 'reparative therapy' for gays
Quote:The Texas Republican Party would endorse psychological treatment that seeks to turn gay people straight under a new platform partly aimed at rebuking laws in California and New Jersey that ban so-called "reparative therapy" on minors.

A push to include the new anti-gay language survived a key vote late Thursday in Fort Worth at the Texas Republican Convention where, across the street, tea party star U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz fired up attendees at a rally to defend marriage as between a man and a woman.

Under the new proposed plank, the Texas GOP will "recognize the legitimacy and efficacy of counseling, which offers reparative therapy and treatment for those patients seeking healing and wholeness from their homosexual lifestyle."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/U...6-02-51-41
06-06-2014 08:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
RE: Texas GOP advances 'reparative therapy' for gays
The problem isn't in allowing people to seek the therapy they desire, it's banning them, through law, from getting it and lying about why.
06-06-2014 08:33 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
Reparative "Therapy" doesn't work, isn't supported by any credible medical authority, and is dangerous. Its especially dangerous when applied towards persons that aren't of the age to consent to such treatment and are not in a supportive environment.
06-06-2014 09:02 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(06-06-2014 09:02 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Reparative "Therapy" doesn't work, isn't supported by any credible medical authority, and is dangerous. Its especially dangerous when applied towards persons that aren't of the age to consent to such treatment and are not in a supportive environment.

Gay lifestyle ain't so hot either.
06-06-2014 09:05 AM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
BS.
06-06-2014 09:05 AM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
(06-06-2014 09:02 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Reparative "Therapy" doesn't work, isn't supported by any credible medical authority, and is dangerous. Its especially dangerous when applied towards persons that aren't of the age to consent to such treatment and are not in a supportive environment.

It worked for Bill deBlasio's wife.

[Image: wmsarcasm.gif]
06-06-2014 09:06 AM
Advertisement

Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(06-06-2014 08:25 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
Quote:The Texas Republican Party would endorse psychological treatment that seeks to turn gay people straight under a new platform partly aimed at rebuking laws in California and New Jersey that ban so-called "reparative therapy" on minors.

A push to include the new anti-gay language survived a key vote late Thursday in Fort Worth at the Texas Republican Convention where, across the street, tea party star U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz fired up attendees at a rally to defend marriage as between a man and a woman.

Under the new proposed plank, the Texas GOP will "recognize the legitimacy and efficacy of counseling, which offers reparative therapy and treatment for those patients seeking healing and wholeness from their homosexual lifestyle."

To be fair they did not endorse the treatment so much as made a statement that people can choose it..

""recognize the legitimacy and efficacy of counseling, which offers reparative therapy and treatment for those patients seeking healing and wholeness from their homosexual lifestyle.""

I agree with the idea of allowing people to seek treatment but I do not like the way the GOP worded this in the least.
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2014 09:08 AM by Bull_In_Exile.)
06-06-2014 09:07 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

So California allows medical professionals to slice off a person’s breasts or ***** and pump them full of hormones....but won’t allow someone to talk about trying to remain straight?

Sorry for the language, but what a ****ed up world we live in.
06-06-2014 10:16 AM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

I Root For: The Deplorables

NEWSFLASH: The stocks are up.
06-06-2014 10:22 AM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

(06-06-2014 10:16 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  So California allows medical professionals to slice off a person’s breasts or ***** and pump them full of hormones....but won’t allow someone to talk about trying to remain straight?

That's easy breezy Lazy Tom's world... He feels like the world should revolve around him. No, seriously...
06-06-2014 10:23 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(06-06-2014 10:23 AM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  
(06-06-2014 10:16 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  So California allows medical professionals to slice off a person’s breasts or ***** and pump them full of hormones....but won’t allow someone to talk about trying to remain straight?

That's easy breezy Lazy Tom's world... He feels like the world should revolve around him. No, seriously...

Tom isn't a tranny, and at least he can go more than one deep in an argument and think for himself (even though he doesn't think right). I actually have more respect for Tom than some of the other leftist mafia in the Spin Room.
06-06-2014 10:41 AM
Advertisement

LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

(06-06-2014 10:41 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  

Tom isn't a tranny, and at least he can go more than one deep in an argument and think for himself (even though he doesn't think right). I actually have more respect for Tom than some of the other leftist mafia in the Spin Room.

I don't. I despise activists... I was referring to his world being the ****** one... I don't like, or respect anyone who calls me a homophobe for simply not agreeing with gay marriage, and the same goes for anyone who calls me a racist for simply disagreeing with obama.
06-06-2014 10:45 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(06-06-2014 10:45 AM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  
(06-06-2014 10:41 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  

I don't. I despise activists... I was referring to his world being the ****** one... I don't like, or respect anyone who calls me a homophobe for simply not agreeing with gay marriage, and the same goes for anyone who calls me a racist for simply disagreeing with obama.

He is drone on this issue, but he actually makes some original points that I have agreed with in regards to foreign policy.
06-06-2014 10:49 AM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
(06-06-2014 09:05 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  

Gay lifestyle ain't so hot either.

What? I hear it's FLAMING!!!
06-06-2014 11:37 AM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!

Remain straight? They're gay dude. They were born that way. They can't change that.

Quote:Judges on a federal appeals court also upheld a similar ban in California last fall, saying that trying to change a minor's sexual orientation through intense therapy appeared dangerous. The California Legislature has cited reports, experts and anecdotes involving suicides, substance abuse and other behavior by young recipients of the therapy.

But I'd really like to know when you choose to be straight?
06-06-2014 11:42 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(06-06-2014 09:07 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  

To be fair they did not endorse the treatment so much as made a statement that people can choose it..

""recognize the legitimacy and efficacy of counseling, which offers reparative therapy and treatment for those patients seeking healing and wholeness from their homosexual lifestyle.""

I agree with the idea of allowing people to seek treatment but I do not like the way the GOP worded this in the least.

It should be banned for minors. Kids don't choose their parents. Kids can't consent to torture. In many cases, the kids are in direct opposition to their being subjected to that treatment. The problem with this treatment is that Gay kids, especially those in unsupportive environments can be put in a really bad place.

Imagine a Gay kid, growing up in a Southern Baptist Family in Tupelo (just used that as an example).

At home, they are psychologically abused by their own family that doesn't support them
At school, they're bullied. At many of the schools, teachers and principals are hostile towards LGBT persons.
At church, they're condemned
In society, they're condemned

And now you want to add more abuse to that kid's problems....this time from an 'unlicensed medical' person?

Parents shouldn't be able to force their kids to undergo dangerous medical treatments that have been shown to bear severe risks.

Besides, if parents wanted their Gay kids be told they are freaks, have no worth, are going to hell, and are hated by society and God, and deserve that hatred...then there are any number of churches where they can get that message at. No need to pretend there is any respected science behind that 'therapy'.
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2014 12:02 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
06-06-2014 11:51 AM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline

(06-06-2014 11:42 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  

Remain straight? They're gay dude. They were born that way. They can't change that.

Aside from the fact that the empirical evidence doesn't fully support that assertion, even the LGBQT crowd is starting to question it on philosophical grounds

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archiv...ay/371551/

Quote:
Quote:Judges on a federal appeals court also upheld a similar ban in California last fall, saying that trying to change a minor's sexual orientation through intense therapy appeared dangerous. The California Legislature has cited reports, experts and anecdotes involving suicides, substance abuse and other behavior by young recipients of the therapy.

But I'd really like to know when you choose to be straight?

Then why don't you ask some people who have gone thru the therapy successfully? Or maybe you "really" aren't that interested.
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2014 11:55 AM by DrTorch.)
06-06-2014 11:54 AM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

(06-06-2014 11:51 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

It should be banned for minors. Kids don't choose their parents. Kids can't consent to torture. In many cases, the kids are in direct opposition to their being subjected to that treatment.

Yet abortion is fine... 01-wingedeagle
06-06-2014 11:56 AM
DrTorch Offline

(06-06-2014 11:56 AM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  

It should be banned for minors. Kids don't choose their parents. Kids can't consent to torture. In many cases, the kids are in direct opposition to their being subjected to that treatment.

Well played.
06-06-2014 12:00 PM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

(06-06-2014 12:00 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  
(06-06-2014 11:56 AM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  
(06-06-2014 08:25 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/U...6-02-51-41

Well played.

Their hypocrisy is astounding.
06-06-2014 12:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.