Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Miami's Hopeful Partnership With Beckham's MLS Stadium Over?
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
Miami's Hopeful Partnership With Beckham's MLS Stadium Over?
The County just voted against allowing the stadium at the Port location. The other downtown, waterfront location offered/proposed recently isn't ideally sized to put a 40,000+ seat stadium without taking up current/future public park space downtown.

Beckham is proposing a 20,000-seat stadium at this site. So if this goes through it looks like Miami will remain at Sun Life. Just my personal opinion, but I think this proposal will have a lot more support/less opposition. The early conceptual rendering seems to still allow a good deal of waterfront public park space that, if it had been lost, likely would've derailed this location as well.

I really like the new location though. A great spot to help the continued development/rejuvenation of Miami's downtown. Definitely a huge missed opportunity for UM though. But it's kind of hard to be included in these things when UM doesn't put up any of its own money (not to renovate the Orange Bowl, not to upgrade Sun Life, not to build Beckham's stadium, etc).

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/05/22/41...occer.html

This is the concept:
[Image: New_Picture_7.png]
The red box is currently part of the bay.

This is a map showing the greater downtown area and both waterfront locations (Orange - new, Green - original):
[Image: New_Picture_8.jpg]
05-22-2014 05:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

LUcanesfan Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Flames / Canes
RE: Miami's Hopeful Partnership With Beckham's MLS Stadium Over?
(05-22-2014 05:42 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  I really like the new location though. A great spot to help the continued development/rejuvenation of Miami's downtown. Definitely a huge missed opportunity for UM though. But it's kind of hard to be included in these things when UM doesn't put up any of its own money (not to renovate the Orange Bowl, not to upgrade Sun Life, not to build Beckham's stadium, etc).

I agree that if the suggested site is approved, it may damper UM's hopes of playing in Beckham stadium...

I do have to disagree about the UM doesn't "put money down" part though. It is my understanding that UM President Donna Shalala did start a fund to help renovate the old Orange Bowl. Funds were raised, but the problem was that the city officials of Miami were so infatuated with the new Marlins' stadium, that they did not want to help UM save the old OB. There was nothing UM could do about that unless they had a check to cover all of the necessary expenses. For a private school like UM, that'll be hard to do.

As for not helping to renovate Sun Life or help build Beckham, UM has not been asked to give anything towards those projects. And why would they? Both Ross and Beckham decided to spend their own money for their own projects. UM in both cases would still be renters/tenants, thus no need to help fund anything.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2014 07:05 AM by LUcanesfan.)
05-23-2014 07:04 AM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

UM didn't try to renovate the Orange Bowl until it was too late. How long had the Orange Bowl game and Dolphins been gone from there by the time it was demolished? Why would UM help with renovations/building costs to the stadium they're playing at? Seems pretty simple to figure out why. They obviously don't have to, but if you don't, you shouldn't expect to be accommodated to the extent you'd prefer, as we've seen in both instances.

And there is still opposition. Saw some stuff on tv. "They're taking away public waterfront park space." I don't know if they've seen the renderings or what, but if that boat slip was going to remain part of the bay and not part of the park, they're actually gaining park land.
05-23-2014 08:50 AM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
The Orange Bowl in it's Day was awesome to go to but for years that area was really going downhill with crime and vandalism running rampant. Also being in the flight path of Miami international Airport, it seemed dangerously unavoidable high casualty rates would occur in the event of a crash. I believe a cargo jet crashed nearby years ago.
Miami is a city that can get things done. I think UM will have its own stadium someday.
05-23-2014 10:35 AM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
https://mobile.twitter.com/PatriciaMazze...2386433024

We need to reengage with the University. I think it's premature to speculate on that.
-- Beckham advisor on stadium talks with UM

PREMATURE OBITUARY
05-29-2014 07:03 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
Welcome to the board green. 04-cheers
05-29-2014 07:32 PM
Advertisement

omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
(05-23-2014 10:35 AM)CardFan1 Wrote:  The Orange Bowl in it's Day was awesome to go to but for years that area was really going downhill with crime and vandalism running rampant. Also being in the flight path of Miami international Airport, it seemed dangerously unavoidable high casualty rates would occur in the event of a crash. I believe a cargo jet crashed nearby years ago.
Miami is a city that can get things done. I think UM will have its own stadium someday.

Agreed. But still loved the atmosphere at OB games even if I had to "pay a $100 fee" to ensure I still had a car in one piece to come back to when the game was over. 03-wink

They always did a good job and were there when I got back to my car and asked me if I enjoyed the game.

Cheers,
Neil
05-29-2014 08:44 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
As I said before, I would LOVE to see Miami get this deal done as I really think it would have an enormously beneficial impact on their program.

I also think the people making the most fun of this potential arrangement secretly agree with me and are fearful or a rejuvenated Hurricane program, which is why they are always the first to post any signs that this deal has collapsed.

That said, I just don't understand how a 40-45K seat stadium benefits an MLS team at all. That is WAAAAAY too big for their needs and will necessitate tarps and other similar measures. Unless Miami is willing to go halfsies on the project - or somewhere in that neighborhood - I just don't see how this plan can work?
05-29-2014 11:04 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

(05-29-2014 07:03 PM)green Wrote:  https://mobile.twitter.com/PatriciaMazze...2386433024

We need to reengage with the University. I think it's premature to speculate on that.

PREMATURE OBITUARY

Good luck getting a 40,000-50,000 seat stadium on the waterfront when there is next to no land and vocal opposition.

UM wasn't an initial "partner" in the stadium plans so it's not like accommodating UM is a priority.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2014 11:20 PM by Marge Schott.)
05-29-2014 11:18 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(05-29-2014 11:18 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  
(05-29-2014 07:03 PM)green Wrote:  https://mobile.twitter.com/PatriciaMazze...2386433024

PREMATURE OBITUARY

Good luck getting a 40,000-50,000 seat stadium on the waterfront when there is next to no land and vocal opposition.

UM wasn't an initial "partner" in the stadium plans so it's not like accommodating UM is a priority.

Aren't there any slums or abandoned shopping malls in the Miami area? Why would they build a stadium on valuable waterfront property?
05-30-2014 08:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
green Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-29-2014 07:32 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  Welcome to the board green. 04-cheers

thank you for the warm welcome ClairtonPanther ...
I felt compelled to jump in and advocate for the school I've loved since childhood ...

DA U
05-30-2014 09:14 AM
Advertisement

green Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-29-2014 11:04 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  As I said before, I would LOVE to see Miami get this deal done as I really think it would have an enormously beneficial impact on their program.

I also think the people making the most fun of this potential arrangement secretly agree with me and are fearful or a rejuvenated Hurricane program, which is why they are always the first to post any signs that this deal has collapsed.

That said, I just don't understand how a 40-45K seat stadium benefits an MLS team at all. That is WAAAAAY too big for their needs and will necessitate tarps and other similar measures. Unless Miami is willing to go halfsies on the project - or somewhere in that neighborhood - I just don't see how this plan can work?

20-25K is too small for outdoor concerts, soccer friendlies & minor bowls involving popular draws ...
idle buildings generate no income ...

PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE
05-30-2014 09:20 AM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

PREMATURE OBITUARY

what organized, moneyed opposition do you speak of ...
as of this date, none exists ...

WHISTLING IN THE DARK
05-30-2014 09:28 AM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-30-2014 08:13 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

PREMATURE OBITUARY

Aren't there any slums or abandoned shopping malls in the Miami area? Why would they build a stadium on valuable waterfront property?

This would be the Orange Bowl of the future. Same beautiful view of our downtown. Intimate stadium with great sound. In the heart of Miami. This time right on the water with beautiful aerial shots during games. It would put the jaws of all recruits on the ground. We need this to happen.

I wanna pull up on the boat before a game at night, with the skyline reflecting off the water as I tailgate. I wanna BBQ while whores tan on the deck during a hot September afternoon before we host a top 10 matchup with Clemson. I want it ALL. I WANT DAT ****. I WANT DAT **** IN MY LIFE.
-- WhatTheHell

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION
05-30-2014 09:39 AM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
(05-30-2014 09:20 AM)green Wrote:  
(05-29-2014 11:04 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  As I said before, I would LOVE to see Miami get this deal done as I really think it would have an enormously beneficial impact on their program.

20-25K is too small for outdoor concerts, soccer friendlies & minor bowls involving popular draws ...

PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE

Right, but anything more than that is too large for the stadium's primary purpose: MLS soccer. They can do all of those other things at Sun Life Stadium, the much larger stadium up the road which will also soon be renovated. Alternatively, they can host minor bowl games and concerts at Marlins Park.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely understand why this proposal would be attractive to the Miami fans and I don't blame you one bit for salivating at this opportunity. Also, I agree with you that from your perspective such an arrangement would be a game changer. I just don't know how the Miami MLS folks can justify building such a large facility that they would have no hope of ever actually filling for any of their own games?

Now, there is at least one caveat here. If the U could step up and help pay for a substantial amount of the stadium's costs, then that would constitute a paradigm shift. At that point, you two become partners and they would have no choice but to bend on the capacity issue. I'm sure that's what the Beckham people are talking about when they say they need to "reengage" the University of Miami folks. However, if a large financial contribution to this project is not part of this deal, and from all accounts it is not, then I just don't see the upside for the Beckham group and as such I don't believe it will happen.

Basically, the U's leadership and heavy hitters need to step up to the plate here and seize on this once in a lifetime opportunity. If they don't and this deal falls apart, Miami will regret it forever.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2014 12:33 PM by Dr. Isaly von Yinzer.)
05-30-2014 12:31 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

PREMATURE OBITUARY

If you've followed this at all, Beckham has stated that he wants a waterfront stadium which would create a home venue unlike almost any other in the world. (Something along those lines.)

There is definitely unbuilt land (non-waterfront) north of downtown that could be viable. I just don't know how much that land will cost. Miami's back in another building boom already and land prices downtown are quite high. The land might cost as much as the stadium if Beckham's group has to purchase it from a private party. That would seem to be the best option for UM, just not for Beckham, who will actually be paying for the stadium unlike UM.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2014 02:17 PM by Marge Schott.)
05-30-2014 02:01 PM
Advertisement

Marge Schott Offline
Banned

(05-30-2014 09:39 AM)green Wrote:  

PREMATURE OBITUARY

This would be the Orange Bowl of the future. Same beautiful view of our downtown. Intimate stadium with great sound. In the heart of Miami. This time right on the water with beautiful aerial shots during games. It would put the jaws of all recruits on the ground. We need this to happen.

I wanna pull up on the boat before a game at night, with the skyline reflecting off the water as I tailgate. I wanna BBQ while whores tan on the deck during a hot September afternoon before we host a top 10 matchup with Clemson. I want it ALL. I WANT DAT ****. I WANT DAT **** IN MY LIFE.
-- WhatTheHell

Keep dreaming. 03-lmfao

A football-sized stadium won't get approval at that Park location.
05-30-2014 02:12 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-30-2014 12:31 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  
(05-30-2014 09:20 AM)green Wrote:  

PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE

Right, but anything more than that is too large for the stadium's primary purpose: MLS soccer. They can do all of those other things at Sun Life Stadium, the much larger stadium up the road which will also soon be renovated. Alternatively, they can host minor bowl games and concerts at Marlins Park.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely understand why this proposal would be attractive to the Miami fans and I don't blame you one bit for salivating at this opportunity. Also, I agree with you that from your perspective such an arrangement would be a game changer. I just don't know how the Miami MLS folks can justify building such a large facility that they would have no hope of ever actually filling for any of their own games?

Now, there is at least one caveat here. If the U could step up and help pay for a substantial amount of the stadium's costs, then that would constitute a paradigm shift. At that point, you two become partners and they would have no choice but to bend on the capacity issue. I'm sure that's what the Beckham people are talking about when they say they need to "reengage" the University of Miami folks. However, if a large financial contribution to this project is not part of this deal, and from all accounts it is not, then I just don't see the upside for the Beckham group and as such I don't believe it will happen.

Basically, the U's leadership and heavy hitters need to step up to the plate here and seize on this once in a lifetime opportunity. If they don't and this deal falls apart, Miami will regret it forever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79RF6gE0R6Q

Why would Beckham Group want a major tenant such as UM? How about the rental revenue the U would pay to lease the venue - for a group that is self-financing (to the tune of $250M), kind of a HUGE effin deal.

UM is a highly respected local entity and can assist with goodwill and PR to help the voter referendum's chances with its 30-50k Dade county alumni base and 10k (is it more?) employee base. UM would build tremendous goodwill to help the project pass with the voters. Local connections and counsel on how to best navigate tough issues. Shalala's leadership, savvy, and advocacy can't be underestimated. UM will get the referendum passed for MLS...what's the price tag for that?
-- Yell4theU

MY OFFER IS THIS ... NOTHING
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2014 09:26 AM by green.)
05-31-2014 09:22 AM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-30-2014 02:01 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  

PREMATURE OBITUARY

If you've followed this at all, Beckham has stated that he wants a waterfront stadium which would create a home venue unlike almost any other in the world. (Something along those lines.)

There is definitely unbuilt land (non-waterfront) north of downtown that could be viable. I just don't know how much that land will cost. Miami's back in another building boom already and land prices downtown are quite high. The land might cost as much as the stadium if Beckham's group has to purchase it from a private party. That would seem to be the best option for UM, just not for Beckham, who will actually be paying for the stadium unlike UM.

obviously, you haven't followed it ...
otherwise you'd know the city fathers are willing to gift the Beckham group one of the last pieces of undeveloped waterfront property, "fec boat slip", valued at $250-$500M for essentially peanuts, "market rent"...
why ...
MLS failed miserably here before ...
you see, by associating with the entrenched Hurricanes -- established in 1926 ...
U assuage the conscience of timid commissioners ...
and U ensure the viability of a risky venture ...

THE SALVATION ARMY
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2014 09:56 AM by green.)
05-31-2014 09:49 AM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-30-2014 02:12 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  
(05-30-2014 09:39 AM)green Wrote:  

PREMATURE OBITUARY

-- WhatTheHell

Keep dreaming. 03-lmfao

A football-sized stadium won't get approval at that Park location.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=...F17571.jpg

anything is possible if U just believe
-- Jiminy Cricket

POSSIBILITY THINKING
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2014 01:55 PM by green.)
05-31-2014 09:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.