Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Not a Fan of Birmingham for Basketball Tourney
Bookmark and Share
10miners Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UTEP
im sure its a nice place but I would've liked more of a tourist location. If they were going to have it in Alabama . I think mobile would have been a better choice. I was really hoping for Nashville or charlotte or even San Antonio.
05-15-2014 08:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MU42 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
RE: Not a Fan of Birmingham for Basketball Tourney
There is "stuff" to do in any city. But the purpose of going to Birmingham is to watch basketball. If I go, then I will be in Birmingham to watch basketball, and eat at restaurants I wouldn't normally have the opportunity to eat at. I don't understand why this is such a big deal. I want it to be where the most people are going to travel to watch it, and that isn't El Paso, but it always needs to be in a city where a member school is located. Birmingham is probably the best choice.
05-15-2014 08:10 PM
Blazer88 Offline
Banned

I Root For: UAB
(05-15-2014 08:00 PM)10miners Wrote:  im sure its a nice place but I would've liked more of a tourist location. If they were going to have it in Alabama . I think mobile would have been a better choice. I was really hoping for Nashville or charlotte or even San Antonio.

Wait you would rather go to Mobile than Bham?? lol

There is plenty to do in Bham... and nobody would go to the tournament if it were in San Antonio. The SEC has Nashville the next few years.
05-15-2014 08:24 PM
EagNBran Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
Birmingham>Mobile.

Also, not many were fans of El Paso for the Basketball Tourney, but we got over it. I'm sure you will as well.
05-15-2014 08:28 PM
rook360 Offline
All American

Fine, go to Nashville, Charlotte, or San Antonio and watch it there. Everyone else will be in Bham.
Funny the only ones complaining are Utep fans.
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2014 08:32 PM by rook360.)
05-15-2014 08:31 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
I'm pretty happy with Birmingham. Only two places I would have liked more were Charlotte or Nashville, but neither of those were options, so Birmingham was the best choice from my perspective.
05-15-2014 08:36 PM
Advertisement

10miners Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UTEP
im actually not a fan of the tourney in el paso. Im probably the only utep fan to think that. All the other conferences have their tourney in tourist or hot locations. When we were all bringing up locations for tourney I don't think anyone brought up Birmingham.
05-15-2014 08:40 PM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
you obviously have never been to b-ham.....other than hoops aspect, the golf and fishing is unparalleled....I think it's a great choice.
05-15-2014 08:40 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
I had a great time at the BBVA Compass bowl. Completely changed my idea of the city.
05-15-2014 08:41 PM
winston70 Offline
All American

I Root For: La Tech
I am happy that the tourney is 90 miles south!
05-15-2014 09:03 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

Once you see the battle ship, you bout done mobile. Oh wait they have a bass pro now.

No comparison in the cities as far as food goes. B'ham wins hands down. Oh you guys can fly southwest into bham not mobile
05-15-2014 09:16 PM
Advertisement

Dragonz Lair Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UAB BLAZERS
(05-15-2014 08:00 PM)10miners Wrote:  im sure its a nice place but I would've liked more of a tourist location. If they were going to have it in Alabama . I think mobile would have been a better choice. I was really hoping for Nashville or charlotte or even San Antonio.

El Paso is almost in ARIZONA!...Birmingham is the most centrally located city on the eastern side of C-USA/for the entire conference actually (excluding the four Texas schools)

Birmingham has a population of around 215,000 BUT the "Birmingham Metropolitan Area" has a population of approx 1.2 million which is good for 48th largest in the US (El Paso ranks 68th)

Birmingham is the 40th largest TV Market in the US (El Paso ranks 98th)

Because of it's central location the SEC is headquartered in Birmingham also.

UAB has hosted many successful conference tournaments through the years and the 2015 event will prove to be no different than the others...UAB, Charlotte, Old Dominion and Western Kentucky remember many barn-burning conference tournaments being held in The Magic City - I am so glad those schools are back with us now...not to mention we are just a hop/skip away from Middle Tennessee and Southern Miss...in a nutshell Birmingham works great for 10-12 C-USA schools - maybe the real problem is where UTEP and UTSA are LOCATED...either way, this won't be our last tourney by a long shot.
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2014 11:39 PM by Dragonz Lair.)
05-15-2014 09:23 PM
Sirloin Burger Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU & VT

05-15-2014 09:24 PM
mistabinks Offline
Glory Road Resident

I Root For: UTEP Miners
(05-15-2014 08:31 PM)rook360 Wrote:  Fine, go to Nashville, Charlotte, or San Antonio and watch it there. Everyone else will be in Bham.

Besides the op, have other Miner fans complained? I haven't. I'm also very confident the tournament will be in El Paso every 2 to 3 years but we have to give the 'central location' idea a shot.
05-15-2014 09:45 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

(05-15-2014 09:45 PM)mistabinks Wrote:  
(05-15-2014 08:31 PM)rook360 Wrote:  Fine, go to Nashville, Charlotte, or San Antonio and watch it there. Everyone else will be in Bham.

Besides the op, have other Miner fans complained? I haven't. I'm also very confident the tournament will be in El Paso every 2 to 3 years but we have to give the 'central location' idea a shot.

I think its actually gonna be 3 to 4 years. I see a rotation of sorts coming. UTEP has done a great job, its just that its a long way to make everyone try and go that often.
05-15-2014 09:52 PM
Dracorex Offline
Heisman

Because El Paso is a tourist location? How about Memphis? yeah... NOPE!!!!
05-15-2014 09:59 PM
Advertisement

mistabinks Offline
Glory Road Resident

(05-15-2014 09:52 PM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  

I think its actually gonna be 3 to 4 years. I see a rotation of sorts coming. UTEP has done a great job, its just that its a long way to make everyone try and go that often.

That and we have more schools now. If the other hosts can match or better what we did, then no UTEP fan can complain. If it's in a centralized location and nobody goes, it will be back in UTEPia more often than not.
05-15-2014 10:07 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Well, I'm not going to throw rocks at El Paso. Let's phrase it this way: I'm a fan of holding the tournament somewhere that's as central as possible, so that as many fans as want to can get in the car and go. Considering that it's farther from Houston to El Paso than it is from Atlanta to Houston, that ain't El Paso. It's quite a ways from even the Texas schools.

Yeah, you can take a plane, but that's a fundamental step up in complications from get in the car and go.

I look for the tournament to move around a bit, to be closer sometimes and further away other years. That's fine, way it should be, this is a huge conference in terms of geography.

Actually, there's tons to do in Birmingham, especially if you're only going to be here for two or three days. High end restaurants, great golf, shopping, museums, and more. Personally, I'd point you at Barber's Vintage Motorsports Museum and racetrack... if there's one thing in this town that is honest-to-goodness World Class, it's the collection of bikes and cars there, including the most extensive collection of Lotuses other than the factory. That's good for several hours all by itself if you are any kind of gearhead at all.

http://www.barbermuseum.org/
05-15-2014 10:21 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

(05-15-2014 10:07 PM)mistabinks Wrote:  

That and we have more schools now. If the other hosts can match or better what we did, then no UTEP fan can complain. If it's in a centralized location and nobody goes, it will be back in UTEPia more often than not.

I think you will be suprised at what everyone brings. Southern miss has enough giving alum in the birmingham area to surpass the crowds we have taken to memphis, tulsa or el paso. im sure wku and mt can say the same. Plus its a short drive. 3 1*2 hours for us about the same for middle.
05-15-2014 10:24 PM
mistabinks Offline
Glory Road Resident

(05-15-2014 10:24 PM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  
(05-15-2014 10:07 PM)mistabinks Wrote:  

I think you will be suprised at what everyone brings. Southern miss has enough giving alum in the birmingham area to surpass the crowds we have taken to memphis, tulsa or el paso. im sure wku and mt can say the same. Plus its a short drive. 3 1*2 hours for us about the same for middle.

8 new fan bases so the traveling woes of CUSA 2.0 may not apply. We shall see. Then again, I have no probs with it being in b'ham in the first place.
05-15-2014 10:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.