Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Larry Bird outshot Shawne Willians in dress shoes
Bookmark and Share
tigertaylor Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tigers
Larry Bird outshot Shawne Willians in dress shoes
In the Roy Hibbert video, almost at the end, Simmons asks Hibbert about his "best Larry Bird story". RH goes on and talks about the time that Shawne was apparently calling out Larry the year he got drafted about how Larry got hooped by MJ....and Larry says, yeah ,that might be true, but i can still outshoot you now....and promptly does so....in his dress shoes LOL

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nba-al...ith-video/
02-17-2014 07:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bubbapt Offline
Uh, what?

I Root For: Memphis

Donators
RE: Larry Bird outshot Shawne Willians in dress shoes
That's why Larry's a legend. To think he got Indiana State to the finals.
02-17-2014 08:24 PM
tigertaylor Offline
Special Teams

no doubt. lifelong Celtics fan. finally got my mom to take me to Thompson Boiling in Knoxville to see preseason game vs Washington wizards. bird gets kicked out in 2nd quarter for getting into fight with Harvey grant. Doh!
02-17-2014 08:33 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
Bird won the 3 pt contest in his warmups
02-17-2014 10:08 PM
UofM_Tiger Offline
1st String

Bet he could still do it.
02-17-2014 11:48 PM
RationalRebel Offline
All American

I Root For: Ole Miss
(02-17-2014 08:33 PM)tigertaylor Wrote:  no doubt. lifelong Celtics fan. finally got my mom to take me to Thompson Boiling in Knoxville to see preseason game vs Washington wizards. bird gets kicked out in 2nd quarter for getting into fight with Harvey grant. Doh!

In a preseason game? That's awesome!
02-18-2014 12:28 AM
Advertisement

macgar32 Offline
Legend

(02-17-2014 07:54 PM)tigertaylor Wrote:  In the Roy Hibbert video, almost at the end, Simmons asks Hibbert about his "best Larry Bird story". RH goes on and talks about the time that Shawne was apparently calling out Larry the year he got drafted about how Larry got hooped by MJ....and Larry says, yeah ,that might be true, but i can still outshoot you now....and promptly does so....in his dress shoes LOL

You don't forget how to shoot.
02-18-2014 05:01 AM
GermantownTiger Offline
Capitalism Rules!

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Bird couldn't run or jump worth a flip, but man, the dude could pass and shoot the rock like nobody's business.
02-18-2014 07:34 AM
tmoneyinmphs Offline
Mt.org's DJ wannabe

(02-17-2014 07:54 PM)tigertaylor Wrote:  In the Roy Hibbert video, almost at the end, Simmons asks Hibbert about his "best Larry Bird story". RH goes on and talks about the time that Shawne was apparently calling out Larry the year he got drafted about how Larry got hooped by MJ....and Larry says, yeah ,that might be true, but i can still outshoot you now....and promptly does so....in his dress shoes LOL

I bet you could outshoot shawne williams in your flip flops.

(02-18-2014 07:34 AM)GermantownTiger Wrote:  Bird couldn't run or jump worth a flip, but man, the dude could pass and shoot the rock like nobody's business.

Fundamentals.
02-18-2014 08:35 AM
Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-18-2014 07:34 AM)GermantownTiger Wrote:  Bird couldn't run or jump worth a flip, but man, the dude could pass and shoot the rock like nobody's business.
and rebound

my favorite Larry Bird story is the year he went into the locker room and asked all the players competing in the 3 pt contest who was going to finish second.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2014 09:35 AM by Tiger46.)
02-18-2014 09:35 AM
TigerTot Offline
2nd String

Here's a great explanation of why Bird was greater than Jordan. The only thing absent in the article was the main reason Jordan scored more points than Bird. That reason was that Bird had others that carried more of a scoring load than Jordan's teammates did. Bird was the consummate in getting all his teammates involved. The article also mentions a little-mentioned fact: the last years of Bird's career was injury plagued. He would have to lie down on the floor at the bench when he wasn't in the game.

The position that Jordan played, shooting guard, made it easier to have more steals than Bird, who played forward.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/five-reason...00401.html
02-18-2014 10:01 AM
Advertisement

macgar32 Offline
Legend

(02-18-2014 10:01 AM)TigerTot Wrote:  

Here's a great explanation of why Bird was greater than Jordan. The only thing absent in the article was the main reason Jordan scored more points than Bird. That reason was that Bird had others that carried more of a scoring load than Jordan's teammates did. Bird was the consummate in getting all his teammates involved. The article also mentions a little-mentioned fact: the last years of Bird's career was injury plagued. He would have to lie down on the floor at the bench when he wasn't in the game.

The position that Jordan played, shooting guard, made it easier to have more steals than Bird, who played forward.

So you are saying that having a better team around you makes you a better player. Most would assume the opposite...If there is only 1 option it is a lot easier to focus on that one option.

Their stats are fairly similar except Jordan was required to do more because he had little help and the crazy thing is Jordan's points went up in the playoffs while birds fell off slightly.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2014 10:40 AM by macgar32.)
02-18-2014 10:34 AM
TigerTot Offline
2nd String

(02-18-2014 10:34 AM)macgar32 Wrote:  
(02-18-2014 10:01 AM)TigerTot Wrote:  

So you are saying that having a better team around you makes you a better player. Most would assume the opposite...If there is only 1 option it is a lot easier to focus on that one option.

No, what I'm saying is that the scoring stats for points/game would in favor of Jordan because he was the primary scorer and the others were role players, unlike the Celtics. I think the biggest reason for people believing that Jordan was the better player is mentioned in the article. Jordan didn't have to compete for the limelight as much as Bird. There were many more great players when Bird was playing: Johnson, Kareem, etc. The NBA and the tv networks like to have a few individuals who they can push to generate greater interest in the sport to increase revenues. There were more of those stars competing for press and tv coverage in the days of Bird.
02-18-2014 10:42 AM
TigerTot Offline
2nd String

[quote='macgar32' pid='10442510' dateline='1392737676'

Their stats are fairly similar except Jordan was required to do more because he had little help and the crazy thing is Jordan's points went up in the playoffs while birds fell off slightly.
[/quote]

In the playoffs, Bird was playing against superior teams than Jordan was.
02-18-2014 10:45 AM
memphistiger89 Offline
Heisman

(02-17-2014 08:33 PM)tigertaylor Wrote:  no doubt. lifelong Celtics fan. finally got my mom to take me to Thompson Boiling in Knoxville to see preseason game vs Washington wizards. bird gets kicked out in 2nd quarter for getting into fight with Harvey grant. Doh!

LOL. I was at that game as well. Got to see a lot of great Celtics players including Larry. From what I remember, Bird had a pretty mediocre game before the fight.
02-18-2014 10:49 AM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(02-18-2014 10:45 AM)TigerTot Wrote:  
(02-18-2014 10:34 AM)macgar32 Wrote:  Their stats are fairly similar except Jordan was required to do more because he had little help and the crazy thing is Jordan's points went up in the playoffs while birds fell off slightly.

So you are saying that the players in the NBA have gotten weaker over time?

Honestly do you truly believe that teams in the 80's can beat teams now...Or were the teams Bird was playing against just better compared to the rest of the league at the time.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2014 10:52 AM by macgar32.)
02-18-2014 10:51 AM
Advertisement

gotigers1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers!
(02-18-2014 10:51 AM)macgar32 Wrote:  
(02-18-2014 10:34 AM)macgar32 Wrote:  Their stats are fairly similar except Jordan was required to do more because he had little help and the crazy thing is Jordan's points went up in the playoffs while birds fell off slightly.

Honestly do you truly believe that teams in the 80's can beat teams now...Or were the teams Bird was playing against just better compared to the rest of the league at the time.

Give me a Reggie Miller Pacers, Patrick Ewing Knicks, Jordan/Pippen Bulls, Bird/McHale Celtics, Magic/Kareem Lakers or the Detroit Pistons Bad Boys over any of the current teams in the league anyday.
02-18-2014 11:01 AM
Irse Offline
Special Teams

(02-18-2014 10:51 AM)macgar32 Wrote:  

Most definitely. Today, they're more athletic but poorer in fundamentals. I would take the Lakers and Celtics over anyone today. Maybe even the Pistons.
02-18-2014 11:05 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
one difference is there were only 23 teams in the league back then instead of 30 now. Talent was a bit more concentrated then than it is now. Players are more athletic now because they've gotten bigger and stronger. Is it a better game? I don't know, it just is what it is.
02-18-2014 11:05 AM
bubbapt Offline
Uh, what?

Donators
(02-18-2014 11:05 AM)fsquid Wrote:  one difference is there were only 23 teams in the league back then instead of 30 now. Talent was a bit more concentrated then than it is now. Players are more athletic now because they've gotten bigger and stronger. Is it a better game? I don't know, it just is what it is.

Hard to believe that Magic, Kareem, Worthy, and Bob McAdoo were all on the same team.
02-18-2014 11:40 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.