CSNbbs
Larry Bird outshot Shawne Willians in dress shoes - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Larry Bird outshot Shawne Willians in dress shoes (/thread-677630.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Larry Bird outshot Shawne Willians in dress shoes - tigertaylor - 02-17-2014 07:54 PM

In the Roy Hibbert video, almost at the end, Simmons asks Hibbert about his "best Larry Bird story". RH goes on and talks about the time that Shawne was apparently calling out Larry the year he got drafted about how Larry got hooped by MJ....and Larry says, yeah ,that might be true, but i can still outshoot you now....and promptly does so....in his dress shoes LOL

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nba-all-star-weekend-b-s-report-extravaganza-with-video/

RE: Larry Bird outshot Shawne Willians in dress shoes - bubbapt - 02-17-2014 08:24 PM

That's why Larry's a legend. To think he got Indiana State to the finals.

RE: Larry Bird outshot Shawne Willians in dress shoes - tigertaylor - 02-17-2014 08:33 PM

no doubt. lifelong Celtics fan. finally got my mom to take me to Thompson Boiling in Knoxville to see preseason game vs Washington wizards. bird gets kicked out in 2nd quarter for getting into fight with Harvey grant. Doh!

RE: Larry Bird outshot Shawne Willians in dress shoes - fsquid - 02-17-2014 10:08 PM

Bird won the 3 pt contest in his warmups

RE: Larry Bird outshot Shawne Willians in dress shoes - UofM_Tiger - 02-17-2014 11:48 PM

Bet he could still do it.

RE: Larry Bird outshot Shawne Willians in dress shoes - RationalRebel - 02-18-2014 12:28 AM

(02-17-2014 08:33 PM)tigertaylor Wrote:  no doubt. lifelong Celtics fan. finally got my mom to take me to Thompson Boiling in Knoxville to see preseason game vs Washington wizards. bird gets kicked out in 2nd quarter for getting into fight with Harvey grant. Doh!

In a preseason game? That's awesome!

RE: Larry Bird outshot Shawne Willians in dress shoes - macgar32 - 02-18-2014 05:01 AM

(02-17-2014 07:54 PM)tigertaylor Wrote:  In the Roy Hibbert video, almost at the end, Simmons asks Hibbert about his "best Larry Bird story". RH goes on and talks about the time that Shawne was apparently calling out Larry the year he got drafted about how Larry got hooped by MJ....and Larry says, yeah ,that might be true, but i can still outshoot you now....and promptly does so....in his dress shoes LOL

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nba-all-star-weekend-b-s-report-extravaganza-with-video/

You don't forget how to shoot.

RE: Larry Bird outshot Shawne Willians in dress shoes - GermantownTiger - 02-18-2014 07:34 AM

Bird couldn't run or jump worth a flip, but man, the dude could pass and shoot the rock like nobody's business.

RE: Larry Bird outshot Shawne Willians in dress shoes - tmoneyinmphs - 02-18-2014 08:35 AM

(02-17-2014 07:54 PM)tigertaylor Wrote:  In the Roy Hibbert video, almost at the end, Simmons asks Hibbert about his "best Larry Bird story". RH goes on and talks about the time that Shawne was apparently calling out Larry the year he got drafted about how Larry got hooped by MJ....and Larry says, yeah ,that might be true, but i can still outshoot you now....and promptly does so....in his dress shoes LOL

I bet you could outshoot shawne williams in your flip flops.

(02-18-2014 07:34 AM)GermantownTiger Wrote:  Bird couldn't run or jump worth a flip, but man, the dude could pass and shoot the rock like nobody's business.

Fundamentals.

RE: Larry Bird outshot Shawne Willians in dress shoes - Tiger46 - 02-18-2014 09:35 AM

(02-18-2014 07:34 AM)GermantownTiger Wrote:  Bird couldn't run or jump worth a flip, but man, the dude could pass and shoot the rock like nobody's business.
and rebound

my favorite Larry Bird story is the year he went into the locker room and asked all the players competing in the 3 pt contest who was going to finish second.

RE: Larry Bird outshot Shawne Willians in dress shoes - TigerTot - 02-18-2014 10:01 AM

Here's a great explanation of why Bird was greater than Jordan. The only thing absent in the article was the main reason Jordan scored more points than Bird. That reason was that Bird had others that carried more of a scoring load than Jordan's teammates did. Bird was the consummate in getting all his teammates involved. The article also mentions a little-mentioned fact: the last years of Bird's career was injury plagued. He would have to lie down on the floor at the bench when he wasn't in the game.

The position that Jordan played, shooting guard, made it easier to have more steals than Bird, who played forward.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/five-reasons-larry-bird-better-michael-jordan-184600401.html

RE: Larry Bird outshot Shawne Willians in dress shoes - macgar32 - 02-18-2014 10:34 AM

(02-18-2014 10:01 AM)TigerTot Wrote:  

Here's a great explanation of why Bird was greater than Jordan. The only thing absent in the article was the main reason Jordan scored more points than Bird. That reason was that Bird had others that carried more of a scoring load than Jordan's teammates did. Bird was the consummate in getting all his teammates involved. The article also mentions a little-mentioned fact: the last years of Bird's career was injury plagued. He would have to lie down on the floor at the bench when he wasn't in the game.

The position that Jordan played, shooting guard, made it easier to have more steals than Bird, who played forward.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/five-reasons-larry-bird-better-michael-jordan-184600401.html

So you are saying that having a better team around you makes you a better player. Most would assume the opposite...If there is only 1 option it is a lot easier to focus on that one option.

Their stats are fairly similar except Jordan was required to do more because he had little help and the crazy thing is Jordan's points went up in the playoffs while birds fell off slightly.

RE: Larry Bird outshot Shawne Willians in dress shoes - TigerTot - 02-18-2014 10:42 AM

(02-18-2014 10:34 AM)macgar32 Wrote:  
(02-18-2014 10:01 AM)TigerTot Wrote:  

So you are saying that having a better team around you makes you a better player. Most would assume the opposite...If there is only 1 option it is a lot easier to focus on that one option.

No, what I'm saying is that the scoring stats for points/game would in favor of Jordan because he was the primary scorer and the others were role players, unlike the Celtics. I think the biggest reason for people believing that Jordan was the better player is mentioned in the article. Jordan didn't have to compete for the limelight as much as Bird. There were many more great players when Bird was playing: Johnson, Kareem, etc. The NBA and the tv networks like to have a few individuals who they can push to generate greater interest in the sport to increase revenues. There were more of those stars competing for press and tv coverage in the days of Bird.

RE: Larry Bird outshot Shawne Willians in dress shoes - TigerTot - 02-18-2014 10:45 AM

[quote='macgar32' pid='10442510' dateline='1392737676'

Their stats are fairly similar except Jordan was required to do more because he had little help and the crazy thing is Jordan's points went up in the playoffs while birds fell off slightly.
[/quote]

In the playoffs, Bird was playing against superior teams than Jordan was.

RE: Larry Bird outshot Shawne Willians in dress shoes - memphistiger89 - 02-18-2014 10:49 AM

(02-17-2014 08:33 PM)tigertaylor Wrote:  no doubt. lifelong Celtics fan. finally got my mom to take me to Thompson Boiling in Knoxville to see preseason game vs Washington wizards. bird gets kicked out in 2nd quarter for getting into fight with Harvey grant. Doh!

LOL. I was at that game as well. Got to see a lot of great Celtics players including Larry. From what I remember, Bird had a pretty mediocre game before the fight.

RE: Larry Bird outshot Shawne Willians in dress shoes - macgar32 - 02-18-2014 10:51 AM

(02-18-2014 10:45 AM)TigerTot Wrote:  
(02-18-2014 10:34 AM)macgar32 Wrote:  Their stats are fairly similar except Jordan was required to do more because he had little help and the crazy thing is Jordan's points went up in the playoffs while birds fell off slightly.

So you are saying that the players in the NBA have gotten weaker over time?

Honestly do you truly believe that teams in the 80's can beat teams now...Or were the teams Bird was playing against just better compared to the rest of the league at the time.

RE: Larry Bird outshot Shawne Willians in dress shoes - gotigers1 - 02-18-2014 11:01 AM

(02-18-2014 10:51 AM)macgar32 Wrote:  
(02-18-2014 10:34 AM)macgar32 Wrote:  Their stats are fairly similar except Jordan was required to do more because he had little help and the crazy thing is Jordan's points went up in the playoffs while birds fell off slightly.

Honestly do you truly believe that teams in the 80's can beat teams now...Or were the teams Bird was playing against just better compared to the rest of the league at the time.

Give me a Reggie Miller Pacers, Patrick Ewing Knicks, Jordan/Pippen Bulls, Bird/McHale Celtics, Magic/Kareem Lakers or the Detroit Pistons Bad Boys over any of the current teams in the league anyday.

RE: Larry Bird outshot Shawne Willians in dress shoes - Irse - 02-18-2014 11:05 AM

(02-18-2014 10:51 AM)macgar32 Wrote:  

Most definitely. Today, they're more athletic but poorer in fundamentals. I would take the Lakers and Celtics over anyone today. Maybe even the Pistons.

RE: Larry Bird outshot Shawne Willians in dress shoes - fsquid - 02-18-2014 11:05 AM

one difference is there were only 23 teams in the league back then instead of 30 now. Talent was a bit more concentrated then than it is now. Players are more athletic now because they've gotten bigger and stronger. Is it a better game? I don't know, it just is what it is.

RE: Larry Bird outshot Shawne Willians in dress shoes - bubbapt - 02-18-2014 11:40 AM

(02-18-2014 11:05 AM)fsquid Wrote:  one difference is there were only 23 teams in the league back then instead of 30 now. Talent was a bit more concentrated then than it is now. Players are more athletic now because they've gotten bigger and stronger. Is it a better game? I don't know, it just is what it is.

Hard to believe that Magic, Kareem, Worthy, and Bob McAdoo were all on the same team.