ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Another year, another defensive coach fired
owynn Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ODU
Another year, another defensive coach fired
The linebackers coach is gone this time. Thoughts?

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/12/odus-bob...sive-coach
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2013 01:43 PM by owynn.)
12-02-2013 01:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ODU89 Offline
Special Teams

RE: Another year, another defensive coach fired
Look at this guys resume.

Quote:Hetherman, a native of Oxford, Mass. and a 2006 graduate of Fitchburg State, played two seasons of professional football in Germany and Austria after college.

He coached at Springfield College, Northeastern and Western New England before coming to ODU in 2010.

Is this the best we could get? No wonder the LBs were terrible. Wilder needs to step up not only the quality of players, but the quality of coaches as well.
12-02-2013 01:48 PM
csims98 Offline
Water Engineer

Anyone follow Craig Wilkins on twitter?

He is very much against this and has been increasingly outspoken the past few weeks. I may be taking too much out of it but not great having one of the faces of the program being so negative.
12-02-2013 01:49 PM
TheDancinMonarch Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
What kind of a coach must he have been to let so many of his players get hurt or kicked off the team? 04-jawdrop

But on a more serious note, someone has to take the fall. 07-coffee3
12-02-2013 01:57 PM
ODU89 Offline
Special Teams

(12-02-2013 01:49 PM)csims98 Wrote:  Anyone follow Craig Wilkins on twitter?

He is very much against this and has been increasingly outspoken the past few weeks. I may be taking too much out of it but not great having one of the faces of the program being so negative.

Bring Wilkins back as a Coach. We need someone firey like that.
12-02-2013 02:01 PM
Monarch_Pride Offline
Baze! Baze! Baze! Baze!

Good luck to him.

People in the comments seem to think we fired another defensive coordinator. It's just the linebackers coach. Looking at his resume compared to the rest of our coaching staffs', I'm sure we can do much better going forward. Just another step in molting our FCS identity.
12-02-2013 02:07 PM
Advertisement

djnva Offline
All American

(12-02-2013 01:48 PM)ODU89 Wrote:  Is this the best we could get? No wonder the LBs were terrible. Wilder needs to step up not only the quality of players, but the quality of coaches as well.

He's a young guy trying to make it and Wilder gave him a shot. Who's the big-name you think ODU would be able to pull in as LB coach?

Not all young coaches will pan out, but you have to have a few on staff to help with the 17-22 year olds you're dealing with.
12-02-2013 02:08 PM
ODU89 Offline
Special Teams

(12-02-2013 02:08 PM)djnva Wrote:  
(12-02-2013 01:48 PM)ODU89 Wrote:  Is this the best we could get? No wonder the LBs were terrible. Wilder needs to step up not only the quality of players, but the quality of coaches as well.

He's a young guy trying to make it and Wilder gave him a shot. Who's the big-name you think ODU would be able to pull in as LB coach?

How about anyone who has played above the level of Division III football?
12-02-2013 02:13 PM
Monarch Maniac 10 Offline
1st String

(12-02-2013 01:48 PM)ODU89 Wrote:  Look at this guys resume.

Quote:Hetherman, a native of Oxford, Mass. and a 2006 graduate of Fitchburg State, played two seasons of professional football in Germany and Austria after college.

He coached at Springfield College, Northeastern and Western New England before coming to ODU in 2010.

Is this the best we could get? No wonder the LBs were terrible. Wilder needs to step up not only the quality of players, but the quality of coaches as well.

Once again, I think we're overestimating the value of our program. Also, when he joined we were even more of a nobody, having accomplished absolutely nothing at the FCS level.

How would we get a guy who is higher profile to be a LB coach for a program that has played just 11 games?

Nothing more to see here. It's a firing that we really shouldn't be this invested in as fans...

07-coffee3
12-02-2013 02:17 PM
ODUalum78 Offline
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
We have been been playing conversions at linebacker almost since day one.
Even Craig Wilkins, one of our very few defensive bright spots, was a true safety.

I don't know enough about the decision making process as far as recruiting, but we just haven't had the personnel at LB. Heck, Ritchie Staton was a Tight end and a returner in HS.
12-02-2013 02:17 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

This guy was Wilkens coach so he is probably very loyal to him. Not surprising. I wish Craig well and love his passion.

There are always a lot of position swaps heading into college. Staton was also a defensive end, but size and speed wise is a perfect linebacker.

As for position coach changes, it's really impossible to judge unless you are inside the building. Really hard to tell how well these guys are versus the coordinator. Wilder is very proactive when it comes to coaching changes. THere is just going to be a lot of turnover every year.
12-02-2013 02:37 PM
Advertisement

Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

edit: I see Staten played linebacker as well.
12-02-2013 02:41 PM
ODUgradstudent Offline
1st String

I'd like to see someone like Timothy Edwards of Louisiana Lafayette, he's the defensive line coach there. He was the linebacker coach and recruiting coordinator at Hampton (five years) and Florida A&M (three years). At LaLa he recruits in Florida, Central Louisiana, Houston, Beaumont, Atlanta, three of which ODU recruit heavily in, the other two are local to Lafayette.

Admittedly, I think going for someone like Edwards is perhaps aiming a bit too high, but I think we can poach someone good from the Sun Belt.

http://www.ragincajuns.com/coaches.aspx?...h=football
12-02-2013 02:53 PM
The Flagship Offline
All American

Coaching is one thing, but most coaches recruit as well. Some of our FCS coaches may have had established relationships with high schools that are better suited for an FCS program (think smaller schools). While you can still find quality FBS players at smaller schools, generally the level of competition of their opponents is not as good so it makes it a tough call. Connections with the larger schools will be important going forward. Maybe that was a factor as well.

Lord knows I have been critical of the linebackers all year. I have continuously seen them dive into the line only to miss the hole that were supposed to fill. But they also had a tough assignment of "backing" a defensive line that was ineffective for the much of the season.
12-02-2013 03:06 PM
lovinodu Offline
2nd String

I Root For: odu and uf
As I look more and more at the resumes of the coaches I honestly believe we didn't think we would be moving up so quickly. But now that we are time for some heavy resume programs. Coaches from fcs are fine if they are like gaso or programs that make the playoffs yearly.

But I also think bw had to get a d team to know what was needed build that side of the ball. Nagy and cormier may be the ones to finally start the process. Bw has done a Great job on the o side but not so much on the other side. We have good players. And it will get better.

I believe in young coaches and young admin people if they have big schools behind their names. Sports and the experiences of what they mean is just different.

Bad wording on the article but honest. How was jmu linebackers? Or gaso linebackers? Or what about utep or unt? We need some big constistent d coaches from big schools.
12-02-2013 03:45 PM
monarchoptimist Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU & CU
The defense continues to lag far behind the offense and the defense's improvement will be one of the (if not the biggest) determinate of ODU's successful transition to FBS.

Until the defense vastly improves the firing of defensive coaches is going to be a yearly event. The results have simply not been anywhere close to acceptable.
12-02-2013 04:12 PM
Advertisement

odu83alumni Offline
All American

I Root For: odu
Linebacker is certainly an area we should be able to have a great degree of improvement. Seems like a logical thing to do moving to the fbs.
12-02-2013 04:38 PM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

The offense is lacking too..especially against decent FBS teams....PITT, MD, UNC for example. As soon as the big Dbacks put pressure on our receives it was all done but the crying. We need bigger faster players on BOTH sides of the ball.
12-02-2013 05:34 PM
Monarch_Pride Offline
Baze! Baze! Baze! Baze!

Receivers are fine. It was more about not presenting any ground threat, thus all our receivers were almost always double teamed.
12-02-2013 05:43 PM
ODUR8R Offline
All American

Hetherman was the lead recruiter for Felix Manus-Schell, Jaylin Jeffries and Lawrence Holley. Hopefully we are still in pretty good shape with those three, haven't seen ANY falllout on twitter.
12-02-2013 05:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.