ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

RAISE THE BAR! SPREAD THE BRAND!!
ziggy1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ODU
RAISE THE BAR! SPREAD THE BRAND!!
I am beginning to believe, our ODU brand is rapidly growing, join in and help push it farther!

On my way to the football game yesterday, I slowly rolled to the toll booth, coming off the PA Turnpike and onto I-376, using every second of the time to scrape together enough cash ($11.25) to pay the attendant. As the car came to a stop (slightly past the toll window) I looked up and quickly stretched my arm to hand over the fare, sort of assuring the guy I wasn't trying to evade the toll. All I heard back was "Beat PITT, I'm dead serious, I can't stand them. Please beat up on them real good". It took a second, but almost immediately dawned on me that the Monarch gear I had surrounded myself with, hat I was wearing, two flags, and the monarch magnetic labels I had attached to the side of my car were making the impression I was hoping for. Never thought a guy manning toll booths in PA would know much about ODU football. I excitedly yelled back "Oh yeah, we're going to put on a show and see how things end up, go Monarchs", and sped away. For all I know, this guy may very well be a staunch West Virginia fan.

Similar experience on my return trip later this afternoon. Pulled off I-376 to gas up at a BP gas station in Swissvale (Pittsburgh area). Off course, had my Monarch magnetic labels on each side of the car, but no flags this time. A guy pulls up beside me and asks about the final score of the ODU-PITT game. Me thinking the guy was trying to rub it in, smiled and looked away, but he persisted and said he wasn't trying to be funny. He said he had to leave halfway through the game to work his late night shift and didn't know the final outcome. Still didn't trust his motive but went ahead anyway and announced the final score. After that, he went on for about three minutes saying how much he loves and admires our program at ODU. Thought our transition to FBS is way ahead of expectations and in his mind, ODU plays exciting football and already competitive with the likes of PITT. Although he is a PITT fan, said he follows ODU football and singled out Taylor H. and Coach Wilder as two of his favorite ODU personnel.

Folks, long story short, get your ODU gear and wear them proudly. We are going places, people are taking notice, and help spread the word even farther. AIM HIGH!
10-20-2013 08:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ODU_KA Offline
Bench Warmer

RE: RAISE THE BAR! SPREAD THE BRAND!!
I started this site when I had to move down to Florida last year in hopes of bringing Monarch fever to the sunshine state: https://www.facebook.com/OldDominionUniv...ernFlorida
10-20-2013 09:21 PM
Stanger Offline
Special Teams

A western PA person that can't stand Pitt is probably a Penn State fan.
10-20-2013 09:27 PM
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

(10-20-2013 09:21 PM)ODU_KA Wrote:  I started this site when I had to move down to Florida last year in hopes of bringing Monarch fever to the sunshine state: https://www.facebook.com/OldDominionUniv...ernFlorida

I and fellow monarchs appreciate everything you are doing. I for one is very impressed. Please keep up the good job. Go Monarchs. 04-cheers
10-20-2013 09:30 PM
CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

I wore my ODU sweatshirt around one day and everyone I knew pretended to tackle me and intentionally missed. 03-lmfao I've received some "Heinicke" chants from across the street too. We're getting there; our first FBS win will be another big step. If we can ward off losing seasons, ESPN will eventually take notice and we'll be the storybook program that has never had a losing season. It'll put a target on our backs, and the big boys will take notice and schedule us. Recruits will notice too. We're fans of something big, something that transcends football. Spread the word.
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2013 09:31 PM by CameramanJ.)
10-20-2013 09:31 PM
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

Let me share my story i live in a quaint modern cleveland suburb called North Olmsted and when i took my car with all the odu stuff to a car detail i was pleasantly surprised when the guy asked me how we are doing through the transition and he looked at me like he meant it and i said we are doing okay and he said he owns the shop and he is a OSU alumni i was glad that even big guys are paying attention to what we are doing. I am so glad we chose to move up. Here's to monarchs future. 04-cheers
10-20-2013 09:34 PM
Advertisement

Monarchist13 Offline

(10-20-2013 09:34 PM)12thmonarch Wrote:  Let me share my story i live in a quaint modern cleveland suburb called North Olmsted and when i took my car with all the odu stuff to a car detail i was pleasantly surprised when the guy asked me how we are doing through the transition and he looked at me like he meant it and i said we are doing okay and he said he owns the shop and he is a OSU alumni i was glad that even big guys are paying attention to what we are doing. I am so glad we chose to move up. Here's to monarchs future. 04-cheers

I lived in Brookpark for a spell, a couple blocks from the Browns' practice fields, back when Eric Metcalf and Pepper Johnson were the pride of Cleveland. Glad to hear the Monarchs are getting noticed in B1G Country.
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2013 11:23 PM by Monarchist13.)
10-20-2013 11:22 PM
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

(10-20-2013 11:22 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(10-20-2013 09:34 PM)12thmonarch Wrote:  Let me share my story i live in a quaint modern cleveland suburb called North Olmsted and when i took my car with all the odu stuff to a car detail i was pleasantly surprised when the guy asked me how we are doing through the transition and he looked at me like he meant it and i said we are doing okay and he said he owns the shop and he is a OSU alumni i was glad that even big guys are paying attention to what we are doing. I am so glad we chose to move up. Here's to monarchs future. 04-cheers

I lived in Brookpark for a spell, a couple blocks from the Browns' practice fields, back when Eric Metcalf and Pepper Johnson were the pride of Cleveland. Glad to hear the Monarchs are getting noticed in B1G Country.

04-cheers Yes brah Ohio is paying attention.
10-21-2013 12:22 AM
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

So are the Bahamians... I was down there this summer for a fishing trip wearing my ODU football hat.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk 4
10-21-2013 06:30 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

Was in the panhandle of Florida near Destin for my wife's high school reunion. We're in this bar that has lots of cool stuff on the walls, and she points out this big Old Dominion banner on the wall. Couldnt believe it since we were 15 hour drive away from Norfolk. Turns out the owner was and ODU grad. That was pretty cool. Im a big believer in things like that. If I were Bobby Wilder, Jeff, Karen or Wood I would keep a case of 50 ODU banners in my trunk and give them out to any business that would hang one. Every bar in Hampton Roads from Williamsburg to Suffolk should have an ODU banner somewhere, as well as the Outer Banks.
10-21-2013 08:41 AM
ODU Oldtimer Offline
All American

I Root For: .ODU

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
(10-21-2013 08:41 AM)monarx Wrote:  Was in the panhandle of Florida near Destin for my wife's high school reunion. We're in this bar that has lots of cool stuff on the walls, and she points out this big Old Dominion banner on the wall. Couldnt believe it since we were 15 hour drive away from Norfolk. Turns out the owner was and ODU grad. That was pretty cool. Im a big believer in things like that. If I were Bobby Wilder, Jeff, Karen or Wood I would keep a case of 50 ODU banners in my trunk and give them out to any business that would hang one. Every bar in Hampton Roads from Williamsburg to Suffolk should have an ODU banner somewhere, as well as the Outer Banks.

Great suggestion. I understand that the little restaurant/bar on Colley and I think ...... 39th Street (University Pizza), has a ton of ODU stuff. Last year they got an ODU Football Helmet and they have displayed that at the bar. It Looks great! I think giving ODU stuff to the bars is a great suggestion. This helps branding a great deal.

Aim High * Go Monarchs
10-21-2013 09:03 AM
Advertisement

CUSAmonarchman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Old Dominion
Took the wife and kids on a Disney cruise last year and couldn't believe it when at lunch at Castaway Cay, we were sitting right beside a family from Va Beach who saw me wearing my helmet schedule shirt from year one....a big ol' Go Monarchs resounded through the area.
10-21-2013 03:40 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(10-21-2013 09:03 AM)ODU Oldtimer Wrote:  
(10-21-2013 08:41 AM)monarx Wrote:  Was in the panhandle of Florida near Destin for my wife's high school reunion. We're in this bar that has lots of cool stuff on the walls, and she points out this big Old Dominion banner on the wall. Couldnt believe it since we were 15 hour drive away from Norfolk. Turns out the owner was and ODU grad. That was pretty cool. Im a big believer in things like that. If I were Bobby Wilder, Jeff, Karen or Wood I would keep a case of 50 ODU banners in my trunk and give them out to any business that would hang one. Every bar in Hampton Roads from Williamsburg to Suffolk should have an ODU banner somewhere, as well as the Outer Banks.

Great suggestion. I understand that the little restaurant/bar on Colley and I think ...... 39th Street (University Pizza), has a ton of ODU stuff. Last year they got an ODU Football Helmet and they have displayed that at the bar. It Looks great! I think giving ODU stuff to the bars is a great suggestion. This helps branding a great deal.

Aim High * Go Monarchs

Agree 100%. The ODUAD needs a remedial lesson in marketing. Get the entire community involved. You can't go anywhere in Richmond without seeing urine and black. Banners aren't expensive and they absolutely promote visibility.
10-21-2013 03:49 PM
TedHead Offline
1st String

What's up with Cracker Barrel? They only carry VA TECH
10-21-2013 04:34 PM
owynn Offline
2nd String

Or Dick's Sporting Goods, even. When I stopped at the location in Newport News, it had UVA and Tech stuff only. Our footprint needs to expand greatly, especially within our own backyard of the seven cities.
10-21-2013 04:37 PM
ODUR8R Offline
All American

Next year for away games someone should turn an AJ Gators type place into an ODU Sports Bar. There are local chapters of Bills, Steelers and just about every NFL team in this area that has certain sports bars.

That would be a good starting point, would send a pretty strong message.
10-21-2013 04:40 PM
Advertisement

Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

Maybe marketing is going a little slow cause right now they don't have any product to sell. Once the stadium plans are set and a turn the dirt date is announced, I would expect to see a lot more visibility. Why get everybody hyped up and then have to tell folks there are no seats?
10-21-2013 04:50 PM
GO_MONARKS Offline
1st String

Plenty of seats to sell at the TEd this year for MBB and WBB....
10-21-2013 04:53 PM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

Now you are talking about a different product. Right now nobody wants the MBB product.
10-21-2013 04:55 PM
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

Re: RE: RAISE THE BAR! SPREAD THE BRAND!!
(10-21-2013 04:40 PM)ODUR8R Wrote:  Next year for away games someone should turn an AJ Gators type place into an ODU Sports Bar. There are local chapters of Bills, Steelers and just about every NFL team in this area that has certain sports bars.

That would be a good starting point, would send a pretty strong message.

Bad Habits in Great Bridge/ Hickory is an ODU bar!!!! They even have specials for us season ticket holders. They broadcast every game ODU has on tv and sometimes stream it
10-21-2013 05:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.