Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Medal of Honor Bowl - Charleston
Bookmark and Share
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
Medal of Honor Bowl - Charleston
Here is the answer to the Charleston Bowl. Bit of an unexpected twist, but it's official.

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20...bile_story
10-01-2013 09:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
RE: Medal of Honor Bowl - Charleston
Interesting answer to the touchy situation they were dealing with.
10-01-2013 10:16 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
NCAA disgusts me.
10-02-2013 07:23 AM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
Gentlemen,
I applaud the stand taken by the NCAA. If, South Carolina wants to fly the Confederate battle flag all over their State, that's their choice. They should be aware of the fact that it may hurt them economically, because of their take on that position.
10-02-2013 08:23 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(10-02-2013 08:23 AM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Gentlemen,
I applaud the stand taken by the NCAA. If, South Carolina wants to fly the Confederate battle flag all over their State, that's their choice. They should be aware of the fact that it may hurt them economically, because of their take on that position.

Ever seen the state-owned Confederate Memorial carving at Stone Mountain, Ga? What's the NCAA's position on that and sanctioned events in the state?
10-02-2013 08:50 AM
Pulltown Falcon Offline
1st String

I Root For:

What's the difference between the American flag and the Confederate flag?

You see the Confederate flag as a symbol of slavery. I see it as a symbol of my heritage.

I see the American flag as a symbol of my heritage as well. And I know from reading my history lessons that until President Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves with the Emancipation Proclamation, that this country allowed slavery within its borders. I do not equate the American flag with slavery.

So what is the problem with the Confederate flag?
10-02-2013 09:06 AM
Advertisement

T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
The NCAA should spend more time perfecting their oversight of collegiate sports (which needs a lot of work IMHO) and not try to expand into determining moral standards for the entire country. They should at least demonstrate competence in the area of their direct responsibility (which they have yet do) before they try to assume additional responsibilities for which they have no mandate.
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013 09:10 AM by T-Town.)
10-02-2013 09:07 AM
DrTorch Offline

Once again you prove to be the fool.

NCAA again steps well beyond its intended purpose in this area. If people want to boycott SC that's their choice. The NCAA is being the tyrant by restricting the choice of tens of thousands of individuals.
10-02-2013 09:10 AM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
(10-02-2013 09:10 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  

NCAA again steps well beyond its intended purpose in this area. If people want to boycott SC that's their choice. The NCAA is being the tyrant by restricting the choice of tens of thousands of individuals.

If the players feel strongly against playing a bowl in South Carolina, they could lead their team in voting to decline any invitation and that would be perfectly understandable, but having the NCAA determine the issue is overstepping their authority and robbing the players of what should be their decision.

The great irony here is that by making the decision for the players rather than letting them choose for the themselves reeks of the exact same kind of paternalism that for many years slave owners used to try to justify slavery. It is the same paternalistic nonsense that Britain used to justify plundering it colonies ("The White Man's Burden" they called it---while stealing their colonies blind for mother Britannia----some burden indeed).
10-02-2013 09:26 AM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear Dr. Torch,
If, anyone is a fool on this blog it is you! Your sanctimonious positions and stupid comments are not appreciated by me and maybe others here. This is an athletic blog and you continue to use it for making political statements. Then criticize anyone who disagrees with your point of view. The NCAA has the right to remind people of the Confederate flag issue, and then let them make their choice as to what path to follow.
10-02-2013 09:30 AM
DrTorch Offline

(10-02-2013 09:30 AM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear Dr. Torch,
If, anyone is a fool on this blog it is you! Your sanctimonious positions

Sanctimonious? After what you just wrote?

Quote: This is an athletic blog and you continue to use it for making political statements.

After what you just wrote?

Quote: Then criticize anyone who disagrees with your point of view.

Which you are doing now.

Quote:The NCAA has the right to remind people of the Confederate flag issue,

Oh, that political issue of the Confederate flag?

Quote: and then let them make their choice as to what path to follow.

They aren't allowing choice, which is exactly the issue. When facts can't be used to support a position, only a fool holds to it.
10-02-2013 09:34 AM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline

(10-02-2013 09:26 AM)T-Town Wrote:  
(10-02-2013 09:10 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  

If the players feel strongly against playing a bowl in South Carolina, they could lead their team in voting to decline any invitation and that would be perfectly understandable, but having the NCAA determine the issue is overstepping their authority and robbing the players of what should be their decision.

That makes perfect sense to me.

Quote:The great irony here is that by making the decision for the players rather than letting them choose for the themselves reeks of the exact same kind of paternalism that for many years slave owners used to try to justify slavery. It is the same paternalistic nonsense that Britain used to justify plundering it colonies ("The White Man's Burden" they called it---while stealing their colonies blind for mother Britannia----some burden indeed).

I can see the irony that you point to.

And again, as you pointed out, the NCAA can't even do the job it was supposed to do, it shouldn't be venturing into other areas. That sort of mission creep shows the tyranny and love of power that these people have.
10-02-2013 09:36 AM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear DrTorch,
You were the one that turned this into a political issue. I cannot help those to see who are blind. You need a life on Fox news.
10-02-2013 09:38 AM
DrTorch Offline

(10-02-2013 09:38 AM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear DrTorch,
You were the one that turned this into a political issue. I cannot help those to see who are blind. You need a life on Fox news.

Dear Ken Barna,
No one asks for help from a fool.
10-02-2013 09:57 AM
Sultan of Euphonistan Offline
All American

I Root For: Baritones
(10-02-2013 09:06 AM)Pulltown Falcon Wrote:  

What's the difference between the American flag and the Confederate flag?

You see the Confederate flag as a symbol of slavery. I see it as a symbol of my heritage.

I see the American flag as a symbol of my heritage as well. And I know from reading my history lessons that until President Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves with the Emancipation Proclamation, that this country allowed slavery within its borders. I do not equate the American flag with slavery.

So what is the problem with the Confederate flag?

Considering my family is all from the south I may be a minority but how I wish that flag was never created. I wish it was never part of the heritage it is a blight on the honor of my family and the states that my family was from. The fact that people glorify that symbol shows to me how stupid people can be in their pride. That symbol should not exist. Those people should never have died. We should not have tried to split our nation up especially over something so stupid. Yes it seemed so important at the time but it was incredibly stupid and not well thought out.

The fact they put it on government owned buildings also shows how little we learn.
10-02-2013 06:33 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(10-02-2013 09:30 AM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear Dr. Torch,
If, anyone is a fool on this blog it is you! Your sanctimonious positions and stupid comments are not appreciated by me and maybe others here. This is an athletic blog and you continue to use it for making political statements. Then criticize anyone who disagrees with your point of view. The NCAA has the right to remind people of the Confederate flag issue, and then let them make their choice as to what path to follow.

Ken,

Perhaps your stance on not taling about political matters would be more believeable if you did not weigh in here, on a thread about political matters.

As for the NCAA ban on this, and native American nicknames... It's redonkulous. Let the fans, players, and admins figure it out.
10-02-2013 07:59 PM
Advertisement

Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear Bull In Exile,
Maybe I'm wrong about DrTorch, but I do not think so. My reference to him on this thread is because of his previous statements or tag lines where he continually voices a political rendering when none is required, or appreciated. During the last presidential campaign, his tag line was an obvious slur against President Obama. Quote: "Somewhere in Kenya a village idiot lives". Or words to that affect. If, you think those kind of statements are appropriate on this board, then we are miles apart on what should be considered good manners and good taste. Further, everyone has the right to give their opinions on this board, but just because one may disagree with your position, that does not give you the right to call them fool, idiot, stupid, etc. This is also a characteristic of DrTorch.
10-02-2013 08:20 PM
wleakr Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Eastern Mich
(10-02-2013 08:20 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear Bull In Exile,
Maybe I'm wrong about DrTorch, but I do not think so. My reference to him on this thread is because of his previous statements or tag lines where he continually voices a political rendering when none is required, or appreciated. During the last presidential campaign, his tag line was an obvious slur against President Obama. Quote: "Somewhere in Kenya a village idiot lives". Or words to that affect. If, you think those kind of statements are appropriate on this board, then we are miles apart on what should be considered good manners and good taste. Further, everyone has the right to give their opinions on this board, but just because one may disagree with your position, that does not give you the right to call them fool, idiot, stupid, etc. This is also a characteristic of DrTorch.

Agree wit ya Ken!
10-02-2013 11:13 PM
DrTorch Offline

Somebody please move this to the Spin Room where it belongs.
10-03-2013 08:25 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(10-03-2013 08:25 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  Somebody please move this to the Spin Room where it belongs.

Really it was fine through about, oh, say... the first post. 03-wink
10-03-2013 10:31 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.